• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

PETA and Pokemon

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
Years
I sent Nintendo a notice about the PETA game and how it infringes their copyrights and this is the response i got.

ohZdJ.png

Looks like they may take legal action.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I wish them the best of luck in their goals. While I get threats of legal action all the time and I don't take it very seriously since it never really comes to anything, I can understand it in this aspect because:

1. PETA is getting so very wrong. The lies, oh the flagrant lies.
  2. PETA used copyrighted images with minor alterations, including the Pokemon logo.
  3. They are misrepresenting the message of Pokemon - which is not okay.
  4. It could cause harm to those who play Pokemon.

So yeah, I hope Nintendo sues.

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

Ice Car

Banned
Years
I don't think they can get sued. This could be considered a parody and therefore should be legal, correct? Nintendo could sue a lot of people that make Pokemon flashes and whatnot if so.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
pokemon are trademarks, people can use them in their artwork/flash games but they technically remain properties of nintendo. BUT if PETA have used it for any form of commercial or illegal purposes (pretty unsure on that), yes they will be sued unless they stop publishing the game or change it completely (without pokemon)

Years
pokemon are trademarks, people can use them in their artwork/flash games but they technically remain properties of nintendo. BUT if PETA have used it for any form of commercial or illegal purposes (pretty unsure on that), yes they will be sued unless they stop publishing the game or change it completely (without pokemon)

Still requires the use of a trademark sign:

Since they do not have that then it should be illegal. If Gamefreak wanted to, I'm pretty sure they could sue PETA for that. As for a form of commercial purpose, the game is directly linked on their page and you could argue that they are using this to advertise their point (to the extreme, it seems).

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
They can't sue them, PETA isn't doing anything illegal.

Unless you didn't know parodies are legal, but now you do.

Ice Car

Banned
Years
They can't sue them, PETA isn't doing anything illegal.

Unless you didn't know parodies are legal, but now you do.

This. Though I'd consider it more defamation than parody.

Oh gawd. How stupid can PETA get? It's a freaking kids game... It says clearly on the box, comic mischeif, not blood and foul language. -facelaptop- SIGH. PETA. Y U HAVE TO TARGET POKEMONZ?

I believe the "point" they are trying to get across is that the concept of Pokemon is basically pitting animals against each other in battle, drawing parallels with things like cockfighting in real life.

Doesn't make what they're doing any less senseless and ****ing stupid though.

Years
I played the game, and I see nothing wrong with it. I find it humorous, actually. Though I think they'll get sued, simply because they didn't have Nintendo's right to use Pokemon.

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

Back