• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Cartoon Network.....Has it fallen into a pit?

Pppgggr

Cheese, for everyone!
Years
When I was younger, Cartoon Network was my favorite channel, and even today at the age 14, I can look back at episodes of some of the older shows it used to host like Looney Toons or Dexter's Laboratory and still enjoy myself to some degree. The Cartoon Network of the past also had a brilliant form of Toonami, easily trumping the quality of the Toonami Adult Swim has given us today.

The new shows that inhabit the channel, however, are complete failures, in my opinion. Shows like the Regular Show and Adventure Time are incredibly stupid and annoying to watch, the annoying Orange is a HORRIBLE attempt at turning an internet show into a TV show, like Fred, and MAD is a weak attempt at making a children's version of Robot Chicken.

I've heard some people enjoy adventure time at the very least, but I'm unaware of much of a fanbase for some of the other shows on the channel. Is it just me, or do you guys think Cartoon Network has dug itself into a hole that it can't climb out of?

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
We're all likely going to agree to this. Although several of their newer shows seem really stupid - the same can be said for Nickelodeon - part of it is nostalgia and what WE grew up with. What would the kids of today think about OUR favorite shows? What will they think in 15 years?

I don't really watch TV anymore because the quality has dropped all around in my mind. Shows just aren't produced to the same quality - and maybe I've just seen enough of it. That could also be a contributing factor. Maybe TV in general has just run out of original ideas...

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
I agree whole heartedly that what cartoon network is giving us today is nowhere near up to par of what it used to be. Cartoon Network used to be my 'go-to' channel when i was bored. But now when i flip(which i dont get to do much too often now) on the tv all i see or shows that make me shake my head and flip the channel. I'm thouroghly disapointed with the Live Action shows that have reared their head on cartoon network...which....are just terrible. Not to mention its CARTOON Network! Not Live Action network -_-.

Well...as for shows left on CN that are good; How to Train your Dragon recently aired which is awesome. However, the two shows you mentioned Regular Show and Adventure time I actually enjoy then due to me always gettin a good laugh reguardless of the episode, although its a personal preference thing I guess. But I must agree that shows like MAD, Fred, and LIVE ACTION shows need to go. Like quick.

Kinda reminds me of that Toon Disney/Jetix(awesomeness) transition to Disney XD(made me weep a bit at the first look at their shows).

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
I hate every show on cartoon network. I used to like pokemon but lately thats gone downhill. Other than that, nope, i hate every show.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
well, to be honest the only things I watch on Cartoon Network; beside Adult Swim...Well, is Looney Tunes Show, Adventure Time...That Dragon show and Regular Show and that's only when they're new episodes.

...I've been stop watching Pokemon on there...And da rest of the stuff that airs on that...pfft.

Empire

Lurking since 2008
Years
I agree with you, CN has turned into a shadow of it's former self.
What's adventure time meant to be anyway? It portrays itself as a kid show yet it has mature humour.

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
We're all likely going to agree to this. Although several of their newer shows seem really stupid - the same can be said for Nickelodeon - part of it is nostalgia and what WE grew up with. What would the kids of today think about OUR favorite shows? What will they think in 15 years?

I don't really watch TV anymore because the quality has dropped all around in my mind. Shows just aren't produced to the same quality - and maybe I've just seen enough of it. That could also be a contributing factor. Maybe TV in general has just run out of original ideas...

This.

I used to enjoy plenty of CN shows, but if those same shows were on today, I wouldn't watch them, I'd probably find them stupid. So I say that about todays shows, but plenty of younger kids are watching them without complaining.

So my biased opinion is that, yes, CN isn't as good now, but it's really about the same as it was before, I'm just not growing up with what's airing on it now.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I liked the old Cartoon Network. Especially the Powerpuff Girls. Now the only thing worth watching on CN is Adventure Time, and it's my favorite show.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
There are a few good shows, but if I'm bored and flicking through channels, it's not one I'm likely to find something I enjoy playing on. The big shows I still love and watch are The Looney Tunes Show, Green Lantern, Young Justice, and Adventure Time...which is an acquired taste, but it's a ton of fun. I think what I dislike the most about CN is their scheduling practices with shows I like. The entire DC Nation block was taken off the air today after just two weeks back from summer hiatus and won't be returning until January. Apparently it was a last minute thing too as even the show runners for Young Justice and Green Lantern had no idea what was going on.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2012
The only show I like now is Adventure Time, but yeah it's pretty stupid now. Especially the Regular Show, I HATE that show soooo much.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
Years
I still like Cartoon Network but I don't like every show. I watch Adventure Time, Regular Show, Adult Swim, Toonami and some time The new Loony Tunes. But I stay up most nights or wake up really early to watch the classic Loony Tunes. I'm the same age of the network and I miss the older stuff like Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, The Sunday block when they used to show classic 70s cartoons, A Pup Name Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, and The Jetsons.

mikey

Discord Lead
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
CN is a train wreck now. Seriously, all the shows on there now are horrid. I think they try too hard to be funny. I miss the old CN, but I think the new CN is a result of the new generation of kids coming in, and maybe thats why a lot of older fans dont like it anymore.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Adventure Time and The Regular Show are actually the best cartoons on right now. They're actually as mature as some of the old cartoons we were given us, especially Adventure Time which has a lot of really adult hidden themes. The Looney Tunes Show is also really good to me, but a lot of people in the nostalgia box reject it after 5 minutes.

That Gumball show is actually pretty good too, very reminiscent of the older cartoons.

I think most of the posters in this thread are only hating on the new stuff for nostalgic reasons, tbh.

But I do agree The Annoying Orange and several other shows do suck. Doesn't mean I liked every single show back then, though.

mikey

Discord Lead
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I think most of the posters in this thread are only hating on the new stuff for nostalgic reasons, tbh..

I think this also, but for me, its based on the quality of the new shows. I just don't feel like they're entertaining to me. When I think back to the old shows, I remember how entertaining they were.

I do admit, sometimes I have caught Adventure Time, if it happened to be on, and I would say that show isn't horrible.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
I like Adventure Time! It's one of the few shows I can sit down and enjoy watching, without having to worry about cringing at some terrible 'edgy' joke designed to appeal to the kids who still watch Cartoon Network. It's a good, fun show and it's intelligent too! About as intelligent as you get for a show centering around a young boy who runs around saving candy people from various, dastardly villains and unfortunate situations. I need Toujours to back me up on this, Adventure Time is just a really good show.

So is Regular Show! A show that appeal our age can enjoy, if only for the constant references it makes to culture and what not. The plots are, well, stupid, but they're intentionally stupid, unlike some of the other shows I have had the displeasure of watching over the last few years. Regular Show is my favorite out of the two, there's just something about it that connects with me.

Although I don't like most of Cartoon Network's lineup nowadays, I don't think it's fallen into a pit. Yes, with the fall of Toonami the channel did drop quite measurably in everyone's standards, but I think more and more people are hating the channel simply because it's fashionable to do so. Take Disney, for starters. Everyone hates that channel not just because of the rather lackluster programming on it today, but also because everyone else hates it. Grow some backbone, people. I'm also echoing AzaleaLightning when I say that another reason people hate Cartoon Network today is because of the nostalgia they have for the old shows on the network. I love, and will always love, The Powerpuff Girls 100x more than Regular Show, but I'm not blind to the fact that the channel had it's faults back in the day too. It's a new generation of kids, people, they find different things funny. You have to move on and accept that Cartoon Network, along with Disney and whatever, are moving in a new direction.

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
2 decent shows left on Cartoon Network. Regular Show and Adventure time. Adventure time is incredibly popular. Never really watched Cartoon Network, though. But seriously, shows are made differently to suit the current audience. Shows are different to what you would have grown up with.

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
I'm really disappointed with the quality of shows on CN now. I do sometimes catch Adventure Time and Regular Show, which I have mixed feelings about. I don't think there's any excuse for the quality of the rest of the shows they air now though. Adult Swim and Toonami is what I watch most of the time now. I'll always miss the good ol' days.

Back