ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old October 27th, 2012 (6:10 PM).

Nature: Mild
    Quote:
    1: you go to irfanview and "image" - "decrease colour depth"
    2: Choose 16 colours.
    3: goto "image" - "palette" - "edit palette"
    4: Choose as first colour (background) any colour thats not anywhere else.
    5: Save the screen (its mixed up) as Titlescreen 2 or something.
    6: open the old titlescreen and the titlescreen 2 with paint XP.
    7: Copy the old titlescreen and paste it into titlescreen 2.
    8: Your titlescreen 2 looks normal again! Save it.
    So I keep doing this much, like every inserting tutorial instructs, but every time I copy the old sprite over the new, the resultant image goes back to being un-indexed.
    Suggestions? I've tried the original sprite both indexed and un-indexed.

Relevant Advertising!

Old October 27th, 2012 (6:51 PM).
    Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Cold Ivory View Post
      So I keep doing this much, like every inserting tutorial instructs, but every time I copy the old sprite over the new, the resultant image goes back to being un-indexed.
      Suggestions? I've tried the original sprite both indexed and un-indexed.
      Are you using Paint? You can't use Paint. You need to use something like GIMP2.
      I have a tutorial on indexing:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT7-EedW7Dg
      Old October 27th, 2012 (7:37 PM).
      Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
        Are you using Paint? You can't use Paint. You need to use something like GIMP2.
        I have a tutorial on indexing:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT7-EedW7Dg
        Windows 7 paint doesn't support indexed images. Gimp works, or you can put your old copy of paint from XP onto your windows 7 (it's easy to do).
        Old October 27th, 2012 (8:47 PM).
        Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by itman View Post
          Windows 7 paint doesn't support indexed images. Gimp works, or you can put your old copy of paint from XP onto your windows 7 (it's easy to do).
          ? I wasn't asking anything...
          Old October 28th, 2012 (1:04 AM). Edited October 28th, 2012 by Lugia_Da_Boss.

XSE won't let me edit scripts, it only lets me save them as new files to have on my computer.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post

You need to delete the offset in XSE.
            XSE doesn't let me edit scripts, it just lets me save them as new files...
            Old October 28th, 2012 (1:59 AM).
            Heiki Hecchara‌‌
            • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by .parado✗ View Post
            Now my Question!:

Well, does someone know how to insert bigger images for the oak intro background?
            Whenever i do so in UNLZ gba, this appears.
            The sprite is with something strange surrounded!

How to fix , or how to avoid that? Thank you.
            The first two tiles in your background's new tileset must be transparent. You need to have both of them transparent because the Professor Oak sprite's tilemap which overlays the entire screen is displayed in 256 colours which crunches regular 16 colour tiles together (You can see this if you look at the Tile Viewer of your Emulator and switch between the two colour display options).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
            ? I wasn't asking anything...
            itman was correcting your statement that Paint can't be used at all. While its true that the newer Windows 7 version of Paint doesn't support indexed images or transparency, the older ones do. People interested in looking to downgrade their Paint can follow a tutorial like this one - I reverted back a long time ago since I find it is the easiest image editor to work with by far.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Lugia_Da_Boss View Post
            XSE won't let me edit scripts, it only lets me save them as new files to have on my computer.

XSE doesn't let me edit scripts, it just lets me save them as new files...
            Are you just clicking on the 'Save Script' icon which looks like a floppy disk? You need to click on the 'Compile' icon which looks like two cogs in order to insert your new/ edited scripts into the game.
            Old October 28th, 2012 (8:35 AM).
            Self Proclaimed Expert

Nature: Relaxed
              I've been looking at creating Pokemarts in XSE recently. While being able to define the items is great, is there a way to define the price for the items?

P.S. If this needs to go in the Script Help thread, tell and I'll move it there.
              Old October 28th, 2012 (9:33 AM).

Nature: Bold
                Can you put contests in pokemon fire red?
                Old October 28th, 2012 (10:11 AM).
                Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by thanethane98 View Post
                  I've been looking at creating Pokemarts in XSE recently. While being able to define the items is great, is there a way to define the price for the items?

P.S. If this needs to go in the Script Help thread, tell and I'll move it there.
                  Item prices can be defined in Item Editor. There's a price field you can change.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Yogi1881 View Post
                  Can you put contests in pokemon fire red?
                  No.
                  Old October 28th, 2012 (10:32 AM). Edited October 28th, 2012 by Alaka-Z.

Nintendo say its not true about the owning the game stuff-Still illegal by them, but its not like I'd make any profit or distribute my hacking. Cheers for answering my question.
                    Old October 28th, 2012 (10:40 AM). Edited October 28th, 2012 by Herpahermaderp.
                    I liek Mudkipz

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Alaka-Z View Post
                      Surely one of the more experienced hackers can answer my question?

Scroll up 4 My question.
                      Plz?
                      Thanks
                      Just so you know, your question was deleted by DrFuji.

Quote:
                      Hey. Im interested in hacking FireRed , but it's not possible to put your ROM hack back onto the real firered cart is it? I 'd have to buy some flashcart. Also, I'm slightly concerned about legality issues.
                      I would like to hack to just slightly tweak stuff. Ive watched lots of advance map tutorials-The videos make it seem pretty simple, but idk. My big question:
                      On AdvanceMap, can you use the coded ruby and sapphire trainer sprites and music?
                      Because I wanted to put Maxie and Archie in the game...Also, how could I make them and the gym leaders trigger rematches without VS Seeker? I was thinking like every time you beat the elite four but surely there's something easier?
                      My main point is: I would like to play on my GBA, not a PC.
                      Thanks.
                      Unless if you were talking about this one. No, you can't load your ROM onto a real Fire Red cartridge, so yes, you'd have to buy a flashcart. It's only illegal if you don't own the game. Yes, you can have Maxie and Archie in your games, all you would have to do is insert new scripts for them and the sprites are already in the game. The last question I cannot answer, for IDK anything about the VS Seeker or it's functions.
                      Old October 28th, 2012 (12:16 PM).

Does anyone know how to make shinies more common?
                        Old October 28th, 2012 (2:29 PM).

You sort of can. In B2/W2, after conpleting the national pokedex, Professor Juniper gives you an item that increases shiny encounter rate. Also, there is the masuda method in gen 4/5-Breed your pokemon with one from a different language game, and the offspring has a higher chance of being shiny.
                          Those are the only affecting factors I think-
                          Its up to chance-Only 1/8192 Pokemon are shiny without either of the above methods.
                          Old October 28th, 2012 (2:39 PM).

Quote:
                            You sort of can. In B2/W2, after conpleting the national pokedex, Professor Juniper gives you an item that increases shiny encounter rate. Also, there is the masuda method in gen 4/5-Breed your pokemon with one from a different language game, and the offspring has a higher chance of being shiny.
                            Those are the only affecting factors I think-
                            Its up to chance-Only 1/8192 Pokemon are shiny without either of the above methods.
                            Dude, I mean is there any way I can hack it so that the 1/8192 is a higher chance, like say 1/5000 or whatever.
                            Old October 28th, 2012 (3:24 PM).
                            I liek Mudkipz

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Lugia_Da_Boss View Post
                              Dude, I mean is there any way I can hack it so that the 1/8192 is a higher chance, like say 1/5000 or whatever.
                              So far I believe it is safe to say no, that's not possible. Try checking Research & Development, there might be something there.
                              Old October 28th, 2012 (5:08 PM).
                              Eye of the Storm

Sorry if this has been asked somewhere back on page 367 of 924, but I didn't feel like searching back that far.

In the Block Editor in AdvanceMap, which I'm toying with for the first time trying to fix some tile issues in a hack, I'm trying to figure out which flag makes a character (or Hero) hide behind the tile when standing in the spot that tile is on. I already know "??? [00]" hides the player behind a tile. However, there are tiles that use transparency to reveal a tile underneath.

In my example, the area behind the Gym is accessible, but it also has snow on it. The way this tile has been set up by the designer is that the building tile is the base tile and the snow is the second tile. You can walk onto the Gym tiles (as in walking behind the Gym) to hide behind them and they work for hiding behind the snow. However, now I need to hide behind the building tile itself. Can I do this?

Assuming I can, that will take care of one tile. I then have one more complication as pictured below:

In this case, the Hero should be seen behind the upper-left segment, but not the rest. Because of the extreme corner being in the right segment (the part hidden behind), it causes him to hide behind the extreme corner, but the transparency in the snow tiles causes him to appear in the pink areas:

I'm thinking I might have to remove the snow from these tiles. Thought I'd ask for help first.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 2079-8536-2160. Safari on X (5327-1949-9511): Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
                                Breeder extraordinaire. Semi-competent battler.

Building an event collection. If you want to help my sickness, ask what I have to trade!

Old October 28th, 2012 (8:07 PM).
                                Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                                • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
                                Sorry if this has been asked somewhere back on page 367 of 924, but I didn't feel like searching back that far. ;)

In the Block Editor in AdvanceMap, which I'm toying with for the first time trying to fix some tile issues in a hack, I'm trying to figure out which flag makes a character (or Hero) hide behind the tile when standing in the spot that tile is on. I already know "??? [00]" hides the player behind a tile. However, there are tiles that use transparency to reveal a tile underneath.

In my example, the area behind the Gym is accessible, but it also has snow on it. The way this tile has been set up by the designer is that the building tile is the base tile and the snow is the second tile. You can walk onto the Gym tiles (as in walking behind the Gym) to hide behind them and they work for hiding behind the snow. However, now I need to hide behind the building tile itself. Can I do this?

Assuming I can, that will take care of one tile. I then have one more complication as pictured below:

In this case, the Hero should be seen behind the upper-left segment, but not the rest. Because of the extreme corner being in the right segment (the part hidden behind), it causes him to hide behind the extreme corner, but the transparency in the snow tiles causes him to appear in the pink areas:

I'm thinking I might have to remove the snow from these tiles. Thought I'd ask for help first. :)

Cyclone
                                Yeah, the only way you could be be underneath both the roof and patch of snow would be for both of them to share the same palette - That way you could combine the two into a tile through paint. Unless you can do that it would be best to remove the patch of snow entirely.
                                Old October 28th, 2012 (8:29 PM).
                                Eye of the Storm

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
                                  Yeah, the only way you could be be underneath both the roof and patch of snow would be for both of them to share the same palette - That way you could combine the two into a tile through paint. Unless you can do that it would be best to remove the patch of snow entirely.
                                  Good enough, I'll make that modification to those two tiles then. You can't walk behind the trees to reach the other spots, so ample snow can still be used. I thought about using rocks on the top half of the base tile, but decided it's not worth blocking the space (and would still look wrong).

Thanks.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 2079-8536-2160. Safari on X (5327-1949-9511): Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
                                  Breeder extraordinaire. Semi-competent battler.

Building an event collection. If you want to help my sickness, ask what I have to trade!

Old October 29th, 2012 (9:26 AM). Edited October 29th, 2012 by Alaka-Z.

By using Advanced Trainer to create your own trainers, is there a way to change to BGM during the battle (e.g make the battle use the gym leader theme)? Also, is there a way to enable infinite rematches with the trainers you create? Thirdly, on Advanced Trainer can you choose the Pokemon's Ability or is it random(In vids there seems to be no way to choose ability)
                                    Oh, and do ROMs download to all user accounts on the PC, because I use a shared PC so I was hoping that it only downloads to my user account.
                                    Finally, can flashcart GBA games link via cable in the normal method with genuine GBA carts?
                                    Again, thanks
                                    Soz 4 all the questions but i've never hacked in my life.
                                    Old October 29th, 2012 (4:38 PM).
                                    I liek Mudkipz

Quote:
                                      By using Advanced Trainer to create your own trainers, is there a way to change to BGM during the battle (e.g make the battle use the gym leader theme)? Also, is there a way to enable infinite rematches with the trainers you create? Thirdly, on Advanced Trainer can you choose the Pokemon's Ability or is it random(In vids there seems to be no way to choose ability)
                                      Oh, and do ROMs download to all user accounts on the PC, because I use a shared PC so I was hoping that it only downloads to my user account.
                                      Finally, can flashcart GBA games link via cable in the normal method with genuine GBA carts?
                                      Again, thanks
                                      Soz 4 all the questions but i've never hacked in my life.
                                      Yes, but you don't use A-Trainer, you have to use a script to make it gym leader themed. There is a way to make infinite battles, but I can't share them here, no, you can't choose a trainer's Pokemon's ability, no, ROMs you download are on your user account only, and it depends on the flash cart your using, most of them do work with link cables linked to genuine GBA games.
                                      Old October 29th, 2012 (5:23 PM).
                                      Watcher

Hello! So.... I don't know if it is just that I haven't looked enough or what, but I can't find enough info to get this done: I'm trying to edit the world map in Pokemon Emerald (Later I'll be working on RS too... but that's beside the point.) I've found the three tilsets (245, 328, 330) and tilemaps (246, 390, 331) in unLZ. I've decompressed them all to .raw and .png files (256 for tilesets and 16 for maps.) (for backups, comparison, experimentation etc.)

I also made my own map in GIMP, using the exact same colors as the tileset in the game (taken with VBA); then I used Sphere to remove duplicate tiles in the tileset. I PrtScreen-nd that back into gimp indexing it with the same colors too (.png, both a 0compression and a 9-or-something/max compression version.) Made the .raw tilemap in NTME (8bpp). I noticed in VBA that the world map is square (512x512) and that NTME's Emerald World Map setting isn't, so I made three different sizes (in tiles): a 32x32, a 64x32, and a 64x64 sized map.

Going back to the tileset, I opened up TileMolester-Alt 8bpp linear, imported the bg.pal I got from VBA when looking at the world map, Pasted in my tiles (same dimensions as the tileset I got from #328) and saved it as .raw.

unLZ doesn't want to overwrite the tileset even though the .raw is using the same colors (if I open it back up in TileMoleset-alt it goes to 2bpp planar, and after turning it back its colors are different until I reload the pallet) it's the same size (I even opened it up with a hexeditor and deleted all of the unused tiles at the end... so now my tileset .raw is 2to3 8x8 tiles smaller in filesize).
                                        unLZ won't even compress and put the original tilesets back into the rom, claiming they are too big when compressed too.

So any help would be awesome in finding a way to replace the files. (I don't want to use any free space when I'm not using ANY more data than the game is, AFAIK.)
                                        Old October 29th, 2012 (5:25 PM).

Nature: Bold
                                          Is it possible to use multiple different egg sprites.
                                          Like customizing pokemon eggs?
                                          Old October 30th, 2012 (12:42 AM).

@ Yogi1881-Maybe. The reason eggs use only one sprite is because of all the pointless memory it would take programming individual frames for hatching each one.

@ HerpaHermaDerp-Thanks. What script would I need to change music? Ppl on youtube say the default BGM is determined on trainer class- Say if I put a trainer with the trainer class Magma Leader, that badass theme from R/S would be default because its coded? Not to be a douche but why can't you share the infinite battles method? Is it like valuable advanced knowledge? Or.....Maybe say the e4 have idk a script or something that allows infinite battles with them? Finally, u have any vague ideas about the flashcarts that CAN link with genuine carts? Again, cheers; sorry for all the questions...
                                            Old October 30th, 2012 (3:58 AM).
                                            Herpahermaderp Herpahermaderp is offline
                                            I liek Mudkipz

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by Yogi1881 View Post
                                              Is it possible to use multiple different egg sprites.
                                              Like customizing pokemon eggs?
                                              Yes, this would be possible, but you would have to learn ASM and create a routine for it.

Quote:
                                              @ Yogi1881-Maybe. The reason eggs use only one sprite is because of all the pointless memory it would take programming individual frames for hatching each one.

@ HerpaHermaDerp-Thanks. What script would I need to change music? Ppl on youtube say the default BGM is determined on trainer class- Say if I put a trainer with the trainer class Magma Leader, that badass theme from R/S would be default because its coded? Not to be a douche but why can't you share the infinite battles method? Is it like valuable advanced knowledge? Or.....Maybe say the e4 have idk a script or something that allows infinite battles with them? Finally, u have any vague ideas about the flashcarts that CAN link with genuine carts? Again, cheers; sorry for all the questions...
                                              No, I chose not to share the infinite loop battle script here because this is the Simple Questions thread, not the Script Help thread And so far I've noticed that it would be best if you went with an EZFlash cartridge if you want to connect, seeing as those are by far the most praised and compatible GBA cartridge.
                                              Old October 30th, 2012 (8:13 AM).

Again, Thanks
                                                Very helpful
                                                Closed Thread

Quick Reply