• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Cartoon Network.....Has it fallen into a pit?

Blaze42

The Spirit of Chaos
Years
It seems good to me. Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, Young Justice, Green Lantern, Looney Tunes(New and old) are great. Of course, there's Annoying Orange and MAD, but we can ignore those.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
While I haven't watched cartoon network for about half a year - or any kind of tv that isn't plugged into a game console - I can safely say they're the best children's channel currently. That previous statement doesn't refer to the quality on the channel at all. There is still tat like Annoying Orange and Almost Naked Animals on the channel.

Yet, there a few hidden gems on the channel, my personal favourite being Adventure Time. Sure, the animation is quite low-end, and some parts of it make you think the people who made the show were doing hard drugs, but it's still a very enjoyable and smart kids show.

Another good show on the network is The Amazing World of Gumball. It has a unique animation style based around 2d and 3d animation, being placed on backdrops which are photos from actual places in real life. The jokes are quite amusing and aren't obnoxious. The only real issues with the show is how one-dimensional the characters can sometimes be.

To conclude (or tl;dr, if you prefer) , Cartoon Network has been improving recently. Sure, it's not near the magnum opus it was back in the 90's, but it's showing signs of returning to that form sometime in the future.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Cartoon Network will only appear as a fallen network to those who grew up watching it back in the 90's to around 2005-07 and a big reason for that is the "nostalgic factor." Otherwise, it's still thriving on its own with the new aged kids that watch it today.

I'll admit, I certainly don't watch Cartoon Network as much as I used to, but that also applies to many of the other channels targeted at kids and young teens today like Disney Channel and Nickelodeon. It's not because I think their shows don't compare to the shows I grew up watching (although, to an extent this is true), but because I've grown up; I've grown to like things that are more suitable for my age group today.

I still tune in for some of Cartoon Network's new shows today though (Green Lantern, Young Justice, Riders: Dragons of Berk, Adventure Time, Regular Show, and their Cartoon Planet block). All of which I think are good shows and suitable for ages above CN's actual target audience.

So, no, I don't believe Cartoon Network has fallen into a hole it can't get out of, but I certainly do believe they can be better.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
yes! adventure time is ok sometimes but the rest is just plain awful, and the sad part is that all my friends watch it because its the only channel they have besides news channels and infomercial channels, thats probably the only reason they can stay on air.
EDIT: and to all the people that say we're just used to the other shows i'd like to say that i'm actually young enough that i never really watched it back then because my mom didn't want me to hear the word stupid but now that i can watch it i can see that the old ones were pretty good but these new ones are just *smirk* stupid

Years
I'd say yes, they have fallen into a pit >_>
It's mostly due to bad decision making and terrible show ideas. It's like their beating a dead horse and just making copies of their old shows. Why can't they do more stuff like that CGI Star Wars series? (Hopefully with better animation but still....)

I wish they would do something like Samurai Jack again :( that show was awesome not cause of the story but the way it was presented. The story was good too. I want another season of IGPX too, but that's not going to happen any time soon <_<

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
Regular Show and Adventure time are okay, but I kinda miss the old ones like Powerpuff Girls and Johnny Bravo. Nothing can really beat the classics...

I agree that the classics are usually better, but the actual situation is that most of the new stuff is bad.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I like a fair number of shows aimed at children: Phineas and Ferb, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls and some more that I can't remember off the top of my head. So when I hear all these reports that say 'oh children's TV has gone so downhill since I was young', I always approach them with a high degree of scepticism. Having said that, I've looked at the shows that Cartoon Network produces (apparently it only makes 4 in house!) and I can't say that I'm impressed with their quality.

To me, what made - and continues to make - the CN shows of the 90s well regarded was that they didn't seem to write down to their intended audience i.e. kids. From the snippets of the CN shows of today that I've seen, they do seem more 'childish'/'kiddy'/whatever derogatory word you wish to use. And that's a shame. But it doesn't mean that the entire network has fallen into a pit. I mentioned Adventure Time above; that and Regular Show (which I don't care for but understand why people like it) are shows that definitely do NOT talk down to their audience, and are all the richer for it. And yet they're massively popular according to ratings of target demographics. But so is stuff like Ben 10... so I don't know if either will be seen by CN as the way forward.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I agree that the classics are usually better, but the actual situation is that most of the new stuff is bad.
Allow me to speak strictly as a person who enjoys cartoons for their charm and artstyle. I've been a huge fan of older cartoons, stuff like Scooby Doo and Samurai Jack (this being my favorite) amaze me the more I watch them and I particularly grew up with Dexter's Lab and Ed Edd & Eddy, but regardless of nostalgia I have to say some of the new stuff are completely enjoyable for what they're worth. Despite the awful fanbase, I found Adventure Time to be completely charming, and while Regular Show and Gumball seem to try hard with the comedy and isn't as creative as Adventure Time I still enjoyed the overall artstyle and presentation. I do agree Ben 10 falls flat due to how much it caters to kids with the action, but I can see why it's popular amongst them. (And it definitely does a good job in keeping them intrigued)

For me, comedy isn't what defines cartoons. So while I found them to be hilarious back in the day, they do feel plain today. Even when watching Ed, Edd n Eddy, which I used to think was funny, I don't see myself laughing, but I appreciate it more. The charm, the artstyle, the animation, the cast, the visuals and the creativity behind the cartoons are what defines them, particularly the charm. I think Regular Show, Adventure Time and Gumball are strong in those departments. I'm not expecting to laugh, and I set my expectations low, but I would be lying if I said I don't feel like a kid again watching them.

It's not just cartoons either. Games like Warioware, Little King's Story, Rhythm Heaven and MediEvil are games I love especially because of the influence of charming cartoons.

I'm worried more about Disney. They seem to be heavily reliant on childish sitcoms and pop culture nowadays. I can see that young girls enjoy it, but it's pretty bad.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
The only CN shows I occasionally watch are Batman Brave and the Bold, Young Justice and Adventure Time. I used to watch the second season of Ben 10, since it was IMO better than the first one, but it later went downhill so I can't even stand Ben 10 now. Adventure Time is also a good show, but it requires you to sit through an episode or two first. When I first watched some clips on youtube, it looked pretty lame. But after watching the first three episodes, I got into it and now I love it.

And I can't agree that the older shows were better. Even then they had some good and some bad shows. Just because we can remember the good ones, doesn't mean that there weren't bad ones. Like, most Scooby Doo seasons. I think that I only liked the first one (one with the "Scooby dooby doo, where are you?" theme song).

I mean, if someone can't stand the new shows on CN, why not watch Boomerang? Isn't Boomerang practically the CN those people love?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I would say yes to the main line up. Satureday line up is ok. I still watch Johnny Test,Adventure Time,Regular Show,Pokemon,Clone Wars and of course Adult Swin on Saturday Nights. I really miss most of the old show,that is why I am glad I have Boomarang though they show the old old shows that I didn't watch. They had some good shows out like Unnatural History and Tower Prep which was stupid for them not to countinue. I really loved Tower Prep.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
See, in direct contrast to the majority of this thread, I don't see the appeal of Gravity Falls. It's not due to design issues or whatever, I just find the characters to be annoying and I change the channel when it's on. Can anyone tell me why they find the show so appealing?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Adventure Time and The Regular Show are actually the best cartoons on right now. They're actually as mature as some of the old cartoons we were given us, especially Adventure Time which has a lot of really adult hidden themes. The Looney Tunes Show is also really good to me, but a lot of people in the nostalgia box reject it after 5 minutes.

That Gumball show is actually pretty good too, very reminiscent of the older cartoons.

I think most of the posters in this thread are only hating on the new stuff for nostalgic reasons, tbh.

But I do agree The Annoying Orange and several other shows do suck. Doesn't mean I liked every single show back then, though.

This all the way, except for Gumball (the characters' intelligence is really insulting). It's getting tiresome to hear people complaining about CN going downhill and want their old shows without realizing that 1) They can still watch the shows on Boomerang, 2) They can still watch them on Cartoon Planet every Friday, and 3) Their precious old shows will get stale like the Simpsons if they were to stick around for a little longer. No matter how many points they try to make to prove themselves right about CN's quality, in the end, the real answer is that they grew up. Adventure Time and Regular Shows are the best things that happened to CN, and now Toonami's back on air (every Saturday on Adult Swim) during their 20th anniversary. What we should be using our negative energy on are the live action shows.

Last edited:

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
They suck.

Maybe if they stopped airing shows that suck and aired anime again they might make a comeback.

But since they're ANIME HATERS now I'll enjoy watching their channel finally die once and for all.

Years
I don't watch Cartoon Network (lack of cable TV!) but I do agree with most of these guys that the lineup is terrible these days, full of cartoons I've never even heard of or have little knowledge about.

Also, they dumped loads of anime from the lineup (Pokemon is an exception though) and even though they now have sub-channels like Boomerang for the older content I do agree that Cartoon Network has "fallen into a pit".

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
They suck.

Maybe if they stopped airing shows that suck and aired anime again they might make a comeback.

But since they're ANIME HATERS now I'll enjoy watching their channel finally die once and for all.

bye

Not gonna lie, you're starting to bug me. You're constantly popping in at the mere mention of Cartoon Network, dropping a bomb of ill-formed opinions and then hastily leaving, as if what you're saying is UNDISPUTED FACT and no one but you is right. Need I quote your location again?
proving Cartoon network is mentally retarded
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, in a past that seems to be extremely distant, Cartoon Network is changing/has changed its tactics and its programming for a new generation. Programming that to you may be 'mentally retarded', but perfectly entertaining for others. It seems that kids these days aren't into anime - too bad. I don't like the majority of Cartoon Network's lineup either, save a few little diamonds, but times are changing. Your tastes have changed. I'm watching The Powerpuff Girls as we speak, fun fact there. Sure, it is brilliantly written and animated, but even then some plots were questionable. Not questionable as in questionable material, but questionable as in 'did the writers even try?' I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your crusade to Save Cartoon Network From The Clutches Of The Mental Retardation That Threatens It So is unfounded and useless.
Stop griping about the apparent loss of your childhood and move on.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
^^^To be honest I forgot that was still there.

But they're on the ROAD TO FAILURE regardless.

I'm enjoying watching them squirm.

When they die... I'll just be able to say 'I told you so'

RivalGator

I hate them all.
Years
I honestly think it's just us. We're getting older. Things are changing. We see PowerPuff Girls and Dexter's Lab and **** in a more glorifying light than we do **** like Chowder and MAD, but most of the children of today love it like we loved ours and will complain when things change for them, too.

The only thing that I hate is the fact that it seems cartoon shows are a whole lot less violent and they focus more on stupidity... Glorifying it, if you ask me. I would never allow my children to watch most of the stuff I see on TV now. lol.

Back