• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you speak multiple languages?

Ice Car

Banned
Years
See title. Do you speak multiple languages, or at the very least understand them? What is your primary language?

My primary language is English, as you can probably tell if you take one look at my posts. I know about 1 high school year of Japanese, so I have the Katakana and Hiragana tables memorized completely and some basic words and grammar down. I believe that my channel description in my Youtube channel uses some of that grammar. "ふゆのトヨタはさむいですねえ。" Should roughly translate to "Winter Toyotas are cold aren't they?" So completely random, I just wanted to have a full sentence in Japanese in my channel title, that's all.

Okay, disregard that I said my channel title said that, I just changed it.

I wouldn't say I speak multiple languages because not only do I know a miniscule amount of Japanese, but I can't speak it without pausing for large amounts of times to think about what to say. It's not natural.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I speak English and French, plus some Danish but I learnt that years ago so it's only basic conversation stuff now haha. One language that I've always wanted to learn though is Japanese. I had the opportunity to do so at university but for some reason I chose not to... I guess it's my own fault but I really would like to learn that language some time, preferably as soon as possible. It's such an interestingly formed language and so different to our's, I'd love to see how it all works and comes together.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Being born in Paris, French is my native language...but I've forgotten the majority of it as time has gone on, since I've lived in New Zealand for far longer than I did in the west end of Paris. It's a shame that I can only barely remember the language I spoke as a young kid :((((( I've swapped the language of my youth for the one I am speaking now. Is that good or bad? Trading one of the most romantic languages of the world for by far the most convenient one. I still speak some French, but not enough to get by in conversation :/

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I can speak English and Malay - the national language of my country - fluently, though English is my first language. I also am able to speak basic Japanese as I have done a Japanese Introductory course this semester. It's not very fluent, but it's getting there, I hope. I know limited Chinese as well, since it was a compulsory subject during my primary school years, but inside the huge borders of the Chinese language, I probably only know about 5 - 10%. I'm not confident about speaking Chinese although I myself am Chinese because I've been brought up in an English-speaking family.

Khawill

<3
Years
English and Spanish, I typically don't like multiple languages as it is a barrier for people. Though since English and Spanish are similar I do have an easier time learning them together.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Like most people here, my primary language is English, but I'm currently learning Spanish at my college.

#isthenumbersign
Years
I speak English annnnnd that's it. I didn't take language in school, besides the small amount Spanish I learned in elementary.

Years
I just speak English right now, although I love translating text into other languages online occasionally.

droomph

weeb
Years
I speak some chinese munnnnndurrrinnnn, but it makes me grrrrwhen I am forced to speak it.

I'm also learning German and Japanese, I'm getting a bit better at it every day.

And also, I like probing Korean and Russian, and finding bits and pieces that I haven't learned.

oh and if you're wondering no I don't speak english

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I'm a Filipina, so I speak the Filipino language. I speak English, mostly, but I can also speak a bit of Spanish, Korean, German, and I'm currently learning French.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I speak English and Dutch fluently, with a basic understanding of German.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Ja, selvfølgelig!

I of speak my Danish, my native language, as I still live here in Denmark, and English should also be kind of self-explanatory. I also know a bit of German, although it's not a language I want to learn, due to having the worst teacher ever, and I plan of completely avoiding it once it isn't an obligatory subject anymore. Other than that, I only know a few words and sentences in a few other languages, and can understand languages like Swedish and Norwegian, but that's about as far as it goes.

F1refly

Stuff and things
Years
I speak English as my Home (Main Language) and Afrikaans as my Secondary language. Beat that.

Oh yeah, I used to be able to speak a few phrases of Sotho but it has escaped me in recent years. I've also somehow (inexplicably) been able to slowly start to understand certain japanese words, without even looking at the subtitles.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I'm from Mexico, so Spanish is my native language even though the first language I learned when I started talking was English! My parents wanted me to grow up speaking both languages, and honestly that was hard. D:

On my spare time, I learn Italian. Thanks to me knowing Spanish, Italian seems easier for me sometimes and I can understand it.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Just English, here. I used to know a tiny bit of Spanish from Middle School, but I forgot what I learned.

Back