• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Is anyone ditching their starter?

crimsonskarmory

Alchemist
Years
I chose Tepig and stuck with it all the way through the 8 gyms. But after the last gym i just didn't feel like leveling him up because he wouldn't have been much help in the elite four.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
I used Samurott in my Black 2 run (used it in B/W as well) and was really underwhelmed, as I have been with all the Unova starters. I've never ditched a starter in all the times I've played/replayed a Pokemon game, but when I eventually play White 2, I'm thinking seriously about doing so. There are just so many better options out there.

Bolanboy

ǝpısdn uʍop
Years
I ditched my Samurott after the Elite Four and now pretty much switch around between Sceptile and Venusaur. I just don't care for gen 4 or 5's starters that much, especially the final evolutions.

Pvt Tamama

Chii!
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
i ditched my snivy right off the bat after beating the virbrank gym and traded over my bulbasuor from white 1 and i beat all the gyms easily even though grass types are pretty much crap in all the gyms but the last one

SuperKirbyFan

Weedle trainer
Years
Until Black 2 I hadn't ever ditched my starter, I don't like the idea of it. Problem is, my Servine sucked SO much. My team for a while was Servine, Trapinch, and Magnemite. Servine had about 41 Special Attack with only a grass move for a damaging attack. Magnemite had almost twice that, with three types of moves, and Trapinch had almost as much as Magnemite, also with 3 types of moves. I told myself I'd catch the next viable grass guy I came across, but I couldn't find anyone I liked until way too late in the game.

Giovanni Boss

Team Rocket's Head
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 10, 2023
Now that I've finished the game, I will restart with some eggs, so I'll ditch them again. Guess they are really ditchable. Samurott is probably the best one since water types are good. Darmanitan/Volcarona outclasses Emboar quite easily, with early access to the monkey-ball-thing. Simisear is quite better as a mixed sweeper in-game thanks to higher speed. Virizion outclasses Serperior, though if you don't like using legends, like me, you might use Ferrothorn or Simisage. If you want to go special there's Roserade, my favorite pokémon, pretty destructive in story mode.
Even Samurott is easily replaced for something better, though later than the others, if you do not want using a Simipour.

dragonnathan025

Pokemon Breeder
Years
They seriously need to release the DW starters to North America, it would increase their usage so much.

Contrary Snivy is busted, because of Leaf Storm (increase Sp. Atk. by two stages every time it's used), and Blaziken would be commonly used, too.

Make it like an event where you're offered one DW starter, your choice which one, and a lot of people will be happy.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I moved over my main White team to White 2, and my main White team didn't have my starter in it. So yes, I ditched my starter.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I wanted to from the beginning because I never liked the Unova starters. I have Samurott but I reckon I'll swap it out for another more powerful water type since currently it sort of limits my party. I always feel bad doing it though, it tends to break the immersion you get during game when you get your first Pokémon.

dunnjean

The Most Awesome Of Them All
Years
Now I really want B2W2 T-T
In Black I used an Oshawott. I didn't ditch it because she was pretty useful in most of the gyms.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
No, I didn't ditch my starter because only nasty people from Hell who don't understand that Pokemon is about love and friendship ditch their starters!

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
Years
I ditch my starter because the gen V starters are the only ones I don't like even one bit. The reason is their design. Gen ll starters 4ever <3.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Nope, my Samurott is still in my team rotation as one of the only decent Water-types I've caught thus far (I forgot to trade my Keldeo over from Black early enough so it would've taken me ages to catch it up with the rest of my team).

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
I have already! I decided to focus more on PWT battling, and as such, my starter just hasn't really fit into my plans to battle in it, so yeah. :x

gossamer

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I probably will in my second run of the game, or when I buy Black 2. My team never feels structured unless I have a starter, but I like the idea of having 6, catchable Pokémon. x

Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2012
I think snivy and its evolutions are pretty cool, and I usually kill almost everything in the game with my starter till I beat the game. In White1 My serperior was 94 when it soloed the elite 4 and I beat that part of the game. I dont have black or white 2 yet, do I have to start over with all new pokemon or is it a sequel with a transer information code?

Back