• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Re-creating Lt.Surges Gym

thor348

That's Oak to You
Years
I've been working on re-creating Lt.Surges Gym from red and blue for about 3 hours now and I can't get down the trash can switches.
ie. when you select the first correct trash can, the second one will be directly next to it on either side (totally random; above, left, right or below)

Any help rpg maker pro's out there?

mad.array

Eeveelutions... need more...
Years
Edit: Never mind, I've got more time now so I'll just put it up.

You will need four variables & two switches for this. You might be able to do it with fewer, but I'm not worried about that at the moment.

Variable 1: ThisBin
Variable 2: BinOne
Variable 3: BinTwo
Variable 4: RandomNumber

Switch 1:OneFound
Switch 2:BothFound

I advise having a variable that you can reuse for random numbers, rather than creating one for every single throwaway number you might at some point need to generate.

So, if you're sticking to the gym layout as it was in HGSS, your trash cans should be arranged like this.

1 2 3 4 5

6 7 8 9 10

11 12 13 14 15

You will need to create an event over one of the bins (which you can copy, paste & change once you're done)

Page 1

Page 1 is the most awkward to create. I've added a few images in to run through the process, with explanations along the way.

EventPageOneP01.png

First line tells the system which bin you are examining. This is one of the things you will need to change for each copied bin.

Second line sets up a conditional branch to see if the first button has been hidden in a bin.

If it hasn't, the third line will randomly generate a bin to hide it in.

Ok. On to the second part.

EventPageOneP02.png

Right. The first line asks whether the ThisBin is the same as the BinOne, which was randomly generated a few moments ago. Although you can't see it yet, you will need an else section for this conditional branch.

Put in whatever text/se/bgm/etc. you want when you find the first switch.

Control Switch - Slight mix up here. I realise that the screenshot says the switch is TwoDown, but it should be the OneFound switch. Make sure you choose the right switch! This switch should tell fence 1 to turn off, so don't forget to do that!

Control Variable - Set to a random between 1 & 4 as there are potentially 4 places the second button could be.

Label - You might want to name this something a bit shorter or more memorable, it's up to you.

Conditional Branch - Did the Random Number come up as 1?

The comment says it all. this is the section for placing the button above the current bin.

The next conditional branch decides whether the second button CAN be placed above the current one. If Bin One is on the top row (numbered 5 or less) then it will go back to the label and try another random number. Otherwise, BinTwo will be set to the same as BinOne, then have five taken away from it.

There's a lot of repetition over the next few images so I'll only go over what's different.

EventPageOneP03.png

The random number in the Conditional Branch has changed to 2. This is to place the second button on the right of the first.

The Conditional Branch now uses the script as its criteria. Note that the number in square brackets ($game_variables[X]) should be the same as your BinOne Game Variable. This checks to see if, when divided by five, there is a remainder. If there isn't then BinOne will be one of the right hand bins.If there is then BinTwo will be moved one to the right by having one added to it.

EventPageOneP04.png

Another typo here, sorry! The Conditional Branch that asks whether BinOne is greater than 15 should ask whether it's greater than 10!!! Man I really rushed this.

Ok, you can work this out pretty easily. I'm not going to bore you through repetition.

EventPageOneP05.png

Again, very similar to the right part. Not Gonna elaborate.

EventPageOneP06.png

Exactly what it says on the picture.

Page 2

Ok, the Second Page is much easier. It will need OneFound as a precondition on the left hand side of the event page.

Once again you need the set variable (ThisBin). you can copy and this from the top of page 1 if you find it quicker.

Then you need a Conditional Branch that asks whether BinTwo equals ThisBin, with an else statement.
In the Conditional Branch, turn BothFound On and have whatever text etc you want to happen in there (y'know, like the fence going down).

Under else, you need the text saying that there's no button and the other has reset, plus the first fence switching back on. So you'll need to switch OneFound off & set BinOne & BinTwo to 0.

That should have done it. As long as you've set the fences up properly so that they can be turned off via the OneFound & BothFound switches, you now have a Vermillion Gym style puzzle. PM me if there are any problems or I need to edit/clarify something.

Last edited:

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
To be honest, I'd come up with a whole new one, even if it might not be accurate to Lt. Surge's original gym. That was a horrible puzzle that was nothing but dumb luck. That is I think why HGSS gave you the opportunity to skip it if I recall properly.

thor348

That's Oak to You
Years
mad.array you are so flippin awesome! I can't wait till I have time to do this. Thank you so much!

To be honest, I'd come up with a whole new one, even if it might not be accurate to Lt. Surge's original gym. That was a horrible puzzle that was nothing but dumb luck. That is I think why HGSS gave you the opportunity to skip it if I recall properly.

I was planning on doing the puzzle but with an extra twist, like you said you can pass it in HGSS, you can battle your way through trainers instead. so you can either solve the puzzle or battle the trainers. if that makes sense haha

thank you so much mad.array for your help, you'll be graciously mentioned in the credits. mucho gracias!

PLEASE HELP WITH THESE ISSUES:

*sometimes likes to freeze when I select the correct box. usually when I select the trash cans on the outsides, any idea on how to fix this? disregard the PMs I sent you mad.array if you got them

*I tried for about an hour and a half trying to solve this puzzle on my own. there didn't seem to be a second switch on any side of the random first switch. I even saved my game after finding the first switch, exited the entire game, loaded my file, and tried each option this way. There isn't a second switch. then I got the notion to try the same trash can as the first switch. The second switch is in the same trash can every single time! any solutions for this?

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
This looked interesting. From what I read of mad.array's post (I didn't read it all), I thought I could come up with something more efficient... so I did.

You will need 1 Variable (the number of the bin with the next switch) and 2 Switches (found first switch, completed puzzle).

I've attached screenshots of the two kinds of events you'll need.

Bin
If it's the correct bin, it will set the controller event's Self Switch A ON. If not, there will be trash, and the locks may be reset if appropriate. There should be one of these events per bin (obviously). All bins are identical.

Things to note: As well as the "Bin switch" variable and "Found switch 1" switch probably being different numbers for you, the controller event's number also pops up here - it's 16 for me (with the bins being 1-15 inclusive). The bin numbers must all be consecutive numbers. The randomising of the bin number is the same as at the start of the controller event, and if your bin numbers are different to 1-15, change this accordingly.

Controller event
At the start (i.e. when the bin number is 0), the bin number is randomised and the puzzle begins. The rest of it waits for its Self Switch A to be turned ON by a bin (which only happens when you find the right bin). It firstly sets the "Found switch 1" switch ON and picks the next bin, and secondly ends the puzzle by setting the "Unlocked door" switch ON.

Things to note: The first page is set to Parallel Process. Again, the numbers of switches and variables are probably different for you. In the script part of it, you only need to worry about the first line (and the last if you need to change the "Bin switch" variable number).

Anything else?
Yes. You need to reset the puzzle if you leave the room. What this actually means is that you need to reset the puzzle when you enter the room, because you can't be certain the player will leave via the door (they could black out, for one). In that case, find the door event that leads into the puzzle room, and before its move routes and transfers, set the "Bin switch" variable to 0. This won't affect anything if the puzzle is solved already, so don't worry about that - it will remain solved.

It's best if you follow my example, and have the bins numbered 1-15 and the controller event be number 16. There'll be less to fiddle with. The bin numbers go typewriter-style (like how mad.array numbered them).

This puzzle will work exactly like in the games. It only works for a rectangular set of bins numbered in the correct way. Remember that you have the "Found switch 1" switch to work with as well, meaning you can use it to deactivate half of the lasers while it's ON. You can of course bypass the puzzle (i.e. solve it automatically) by simply flicking the "Unlocked door" switch.

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
Interesting stuff. Don't mind me, just making the 100 trash can version. And somehow combining it with Sabrina's totally great teleport puzzle. ;)

mad.array

Eeveelutions... need more...
Years
Well, I consider myself trumped Maruno. Thought I'd come back onto Pokecommunity with a grand entrance. Seems a bit bloated and rusty now :P

I've already replied to your PMs, so feel free to ignore them.

Also, a word to the wise. Caffeine overdoses tend to lead to unnecessarily complicated solutions.

thor348

That's Oak to You
Years
Maruno you are a stud. I finally got extendtext to work, figured out that since I had rpgxp open on a different monitor, extendtext for some reason didn't work. but when rpgxp was open on my main monitor it works. thank you mad.array for you help and Maruno for your crazy skills

*both of you will be in my credits for this gyms puzzle
if anyones interested, this is how i have my gym set up. you have three options of how to get to Mr. Watt (Gym Leader). option 1: solve the puzzle, option 2: battle your way through the trainers, option 3: donate $20,000 to the Gym via the transaction machine(the machine to the left of the lasers) to shut off the lasers.

*how the trainers are set up is as follows:
you need to beat the trainers in a straight shot. meaning if you lose to one, you'll need to start all over again. but once you beat the 5th trainer, you won't need to battle them again. so you can then heal your pokemon at a PC before the gym battle.

IMAGES OF GYM AT URL=>
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90024320@N05/

p.s. the gym guy in the front has explanations for how it all works so you're not going in blind.

**any suggestions?

Last edited:

AskipLudo

The Masked Guy
Years
It is still working on v18?

I've tried but seems like nothing happen or I've forgot something x)

Back