Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Spinoff Central | Pokkén

TrollandToad.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old November 10th, 2012 (3:56 PM).
Azureth's Avatar
Azureth Azureth is offline
     
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Oklahoma
    Age: 31
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Calm
    Posts: 212
    All other explosive attacks are considered physical, such as seed bomb, egg bomb, and selfdestruct.
    __________________
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC8hSuHV8Ao&feature=related
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old November 10th, 2012 (3:57 PM).
    Ice Car Ice Car is offline
    Banned
       
      Join Date: Feb 2010
      Location: Oahu, Hawaii
      Age: 22
      Gender: Female
      Nature: Jolly
      Posts: 515
      I don't know to be honest. It makes less sense to me that Gunk Shot is physical but Sludge Bomb isn't to me though.
      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old November 12th, 2012 (3:01 AM).
      Haza's Avatar
      Haza Haza is offline
      ☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Aug 2008
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Naughty
      Posts: 6,720
      I always imagine it being a projectile move so it makes sense to me. Especially seeing it's animation in the anime, I always imagine it that way while my Roserade uses the move too.
      __________________

      Δloyisious Divo |Haza D'Ξvil
      The poison that is always fatal... yet the stinger won't stop stinging
      Twitter
      Facebook
      Reply With Quote
        #4    
      Old November 12th, 2012 (10:42 AM).
      PlatinumDude's Avatar
      PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is online now
      Nyeh?
      • Gold Tier
       
      Join Date: Aug 2010
      Location: Canada
      Age: 23
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Hasty
      Posts: 12,887
      I think Sludge Bomb got changed to a special move for the same reason as Sludge. While both are projectile moves to an extent, Sludge (Bomb) might need some form of energy to execute.
      __________________

      Reply With Quote
        #5    
      Old November 12th, 2012 (11:38 AM).
      Blue's Avatar
      Blue Blue is online now
      problematic
      • Moderator
      • Platinum Tier
       
      Join Date: Jan 2008
      Location: United Kingdom
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 20,209
      I think it suits being a special move rather than a Physical based.
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #6    
      Old November 12th, 2012 (11:55 AM).
      Ice Car Ice Car is offline
      Banned
         
        Join Date: Feb 2010
        Location: Oahu, Hawaii
        Age: 22
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Jolly
        Posts: 515
        By that logic, shouldn't Gunk Shot be special too?
        Reply With Quote
          #7    
        Old November 12th, 2012 (12:34 PM).
        sunshinesan's Avatar
        sunshinesan sunshinesan is offline
        Pokesho fan
           
          Join Date: Dec 2008
          Nature: Bold
          Posts: 83
          Poison/sludge moves are very hard to decide for when it comes to physical/special. They are almost in between. Physical = rock, Special = water, ? = gooey somewhat liquid, somewhat solid sludge.
          __________________

          Currently playing as of 10/26/2012: POKEMON WHITE 2
          FC: 3826 6533 5813
          Crazy Shenanigans - Click Me
          Reply With Quote
            #8    
          Old November 12th, 2012 (1:22 PM).
          CourageHound's Avatar
          CourageHound CourageHound is offline
          Trust & Courage. Nothing More
             
            Join Date: Oct 2012
            Location: Florida
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Lonely
            Posts: 823
            When gunk shot was used for the first time in the anime, it was shown to hurl exploding balls of trash and poison. With sludge bomb i come to think of it as being launched some way or another with energy rather than physical strength. But tbh, idk i would like for sludge bomb to be physical
            __________________
            Reply With Quote
              #9    
            Old November 12th, 2012 (1:33 PM).
            Fuyuki~ Fuyuki~ is offline
            Banned
               
              Join Date: Nov 2012
              Location: Hawaii
              Age: 22
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Jolly
              Posts: 85
              Well, what else is going to replace Sludge Bomb as the Poison-Type Psychic/
              Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/etc. if it is changed to Physical?
              Reply With Quote
                #10    
              Old November 13th, 2012 (9:31 PM).
              Ninjagon's Avatar
              Ninjagon Ninjagon is offline
              Back from a break.
                 
                Join Date: May 2012
                Location: Australia
                Age: 19
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Modest
                Posts: 360
                I think it looks like a special move, imo. So yeah what most people have said. It IS projectile.
                __________________

                There aren't many Lions left in the world now, yet poachers still exist. Even though it is illegal it still happens. Don't have anything to do with poaching - Take pride in your actions (pun intended)
                Reply With Quote
                  #11    
                Old November 14th, 2012 (5:36 PM).
                PiemanFiddy's Avatar
                PiemanFiddy PiemanFiddy is offline
                Dark-Type Gym Leader
                   
                  Join Date: Oct 2012
                  Location: Florida
                  Age: 25
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Lax
                  Posts: 194
                  It makes less sense for something like Self-destruct or Explosion to be a physical move.

                  I know it's a move you find among Physical walls or Poison types, but that doesn't mean it has to be physical. It's a freakin EXPLOSION.

                  That's like saying Hyper Beam is a physical move. You can't be too sure, I mean.. Hyper Beam is essentially an explosive too! Freakin' nintendo logic....
                  __________________


                  Sleepy...

                  So sleepy...
                  Reply With Quote
                    #12    
                  Old November 14th, 2012 (5:56 PM).
                  Fuyuki~ Fuyuki~ is offline
                  Banned
                     
                    Join Date: Nov 2012
                    Location: Hawaii
                    Age: 22
                    Gender: Female
                    Nature: Jolly
                    Posts: 85
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by PiemanFiddy View Post
                    It makes less sense for something like Self-destruct or Explosion to be a physical move.

                    I know it's a move you find among Physical walls or Poison types, but that doesn't mean it has to be physical. It's a freakin EXPLOSION.

                    That's like saying Hyper Beam is a physical move. You can't be too sure, I mean.. Hyper Beam is essentially an explosive too! Freakin' nintendo logic....
                    On that note, may I pose a question?

                    How does SmokeScreen and Sand-Attack make Explosion and Self-Destruct less accurate?
                    Reply With Quote
                      #13    
                    Old November 14th, 2012 (6:46 PM).
                    PiemanFiddy's Avatar
                    PiemanFiddy PiemanFiddy is offline
                    Dark-Type Gym Leader
                       
                      Join Date: Oct 2012
                      Location: Florida
                      Age: 25
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Lax
                      Posts: 194
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Fuyuki~ View Post
                      On that note, may I pose a question?

                      How does SmokeScreen and Sand-Attack make Explosion and Self-Destruct less accurate?


                      Are you trying to counter my point or support it? I don't understand.

                      The fact that an explosion is a physical move is implying that the explosive itself is a sentient being capable of making an actual PHYSICAL contact with the opponent... when in reality, it melts your skin off.

                      A move like Sand Attack or Smokescreen shouldn't affect an explosion... because it's an Explosion. If I lit a bonfire inside of one of the 9/11 planes, and it was surrounded by smoke, do you think it'd miss the Twin Towers? Probably not. (Not meant to be offensive, just to make a point)

                      Let me make another point. Goku's Kamehameha wave. I know it's off-topic.. but do you see Goku's Kamehameha punching people in the face? No! It explodes, and incinerates them.


                      ...Nintendo Logic. Sorry If you WERE supporting my point, I just needed to go on a rant about the obvious flaw in logic.
                      __________________


                      Sleepy...

                      So sleepy...
                      Reply With Quote
                        #14    
                      Old November 14th, 2012 (6:51 PM).
                      Fuyuki~ Fuyuki~ is offline
                      Banned
                         
                        Join Date: Nov 2012
                        Location: Hawaii
                        Age: 22
                        Gender: Female
                        Nature: Jolly
                        Posts: 85
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by PiemanFiddy View Post
                        Are you trying to counter my point or support it? I don't understand.

                        The fact that an explosion is a physical move is implying that the explosive itself is a sentient being capable of making an actual PHYSICAL contact with the opponent... when in reality, it melts your skin off.

                        A move like Sand Attack or Smokescreen shouldn't affect an explosion... because it's an Explosion. If I lit a bonfire inside of one of the 9/11 planes, and it was surrounded by smoke, do you think it'd miss the Twin Towers? Probably not. (Not meant to be offensive, just to make a point)

                        Let me make another point. Goku's Kamehameha wave. I know it's off-topic.. but do you see Goku's Kamehameha punching people in the face? No! It explodes, and incinerates them.


                        ...Nintendo Logic. Sorry If you WERE supporting my point, I just needed to go on a rant about the obvious flaw in logic.
                        I just saw your point about Explosion being Physical and not Special and citing it as "Nintendo Logic" so that reminded me of my own question I had not too long ago. It wasn't trying to support or disprove your argument in anyway~

                        I realize that it should be special because you aren't making direct contact with the opponent.
                        Reply With Quote
                          #15    
                        Old November 14th, 2012 (6:59 PM).
                        PiemanFiddy's Avatar
                        PiemanFiddy PiemanFiddy is offline
                        Dark-Type Gym Leader
                           
                          Join Date: Oct 2012
                          Location: Florida
                          Age: 25
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Lax
                          Posts: 194
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Fuyuki~ View Post
                          I just saw your point about Explosion being Physical and not Special and citing it as "Nintendo Logic" so that reminded me of my own question I had not too long ago. It wasn't trying to support or disprove your argument in anyway~

                          I realize that it should be special because you aren't making direct contact with the opponent.

                          Precisely.

                          On topic about Sludge Bomb though, it actually is tough to determine if it's special or not.

                          I'm just imagining a versatile ball-shaped figure covered in sludge smacking the opponent. I suppose it could be a physical move if Sludge were actually made up from a material instead of pure sludge. =/
                          __________________


                          Sleepy...

                          So sleepy...
                          Reply With Quote
                            #16    
                          Old November 14th, 2012 (10:04 PM).
                          rocky505's Avatar
                          rocky505 rocky505 is offline
                          <Now who's awesome!
                             
                            Join Date: Apr 2008
                            Location: Parrish, AL
                            Age: 24
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Relaxed
                            Posts: 1,331
                            http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Conway_Shuckle_Sludge_Bomb.png

                            Looks special to me.

                            One move that confuses me is Petal dance. Why is it a special move if it makes contact.
                            __________________
                            3DS FC: 3995-6518-0794
                            Reply With Quote
                              #17    
                            Old November 15th, 2012 (8:48 AM).
                            PiemanFiddy's Avatar
                            PiemanFiddy PiemanFiddy is offline
                            Dark-Type Gym Leader
                               
                              Join Date: Oct 2012
                              Location: Florida
                              Age: 25
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Lax
                              Posts: 194
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by rocky505 View Post
                              http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Conway_Shuckle_Sludge_Bomb.png

                              Looks special to me.

                              One move that confuses me is Petal dance. Why is it a special move if it makes contact.

                              A Physical move is supposed to be defined by something that a pokemon uses out of it's own arsenal to make a PHYSICAL contact with the opponent.

                              Egg Bomb for example. The pokemon may not be making contact, but a PART of the pokemon is.
                              __________________


                              Sleepy...

                              So sleepy...
                              Reply With Quote
                                #18    
                              Old November 15th, 2012 (4:49 PM).
                              rocky505's Avatar
                              rocky505 rocky505 is offline
                              <Now who's awesome!
                                 
                                Join Date: Apr 2008
                                Location: Parrish, AL
                                Age: 24
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Relaxed
                                Posts: 1,331
                                Petal dance does make physical contact. It activates static and so does grass knot.
                                __________________
                                3DS FC: 3995-6518-0794
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #19    
                                Old November 17th, 2012 (7:08 AM).
                                CJBlazer's Avatar
                                CJBlazer CJBlazer is offline
                                Rogon, the Ninja Pokemon
                                   
                                  Join Date: Nov 2011
                                  Location: Underworld
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Serious
                                  Posts: 74
                                  Well....

                                  Special refers to a ranged attack, such as a blast of flames or a forceful burst of water from a Pokemon.

                                  Physical refers to a physical attack, such as a punch or kick.

                                  Other refers to any attack that does not inflict damage

                                  From the way Sludge Bomb looks, the Pokemon fires a huge bomb of toxic wastes at the opponent, so it would appear to be special.

                                  Hope I helped.
                                  __________________


                                  From left to right, Rogetta, Rogon, Rogastar.
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #20    
                                  Old November 17th, 2012 (12:41 PM).
                                  Xander Olivieri's Avatar
                                  Xander Olivieri Xander Olivieri is offline
                                     
                                    Join Date: Jun 2010
                                    Gender: Other
                                    Nature: Hasty
                                    Posts: 5,601
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by CJBlazer View Post
                                    Well....

                                    Special refers to a ranged attack, such as a blast of flames or a forceful burst of water from a Pokemon.

                                    Physical refers to a physical attack, such as a punch or kick.

                                    Other refers to any attack that does not inflict damage

                                    From the way Sludge Bomb looks, the Pokemon fires a huge bomb of toxic wastes at the opponent, so it would appear to be special.

                                    Hope I helped.
                                    Special doesn't determin Ranged attacks. Razor Leaf is Physical and is purely ranged.

                                    Physical and Special are for manifestation as I saw someone post. Example Magical Leaf vs Razor Leaf. Magical Leaf, the user summons from nothing energy that takes the form of leaves that are fired at the opponent. Razor Leaf is used when the user fires leaves from its body at an incredible speed so that it can cut its opponent.

                                    Special moves can make physcal contact as the user has to be close enough to touch the opponent to use it and at the same time some Physcial attacks don't have to make physical contact (which means the user isn't touching the opponent.)

                                    From Bulbapedia:
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Physical Attacks
                                    A physical move is one in which the user uses its physical strength or solid projectiles in order to damage its foes.
                                    Reply With Quote
                                    Reply

                                    Quick Reply

                                    Join the conversation!

                                    Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                    Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                    Sponsored Links
                                    Thread Tools

                                    Posting Rules
                                    You may not post new threads
                                    You may not post replies
                                    You may not post attachments
                                    You may not edit your posts

                                    BB code is On
                                    Smilies are On
                                    [IMG] code is On
                                    HTML code is Off

                                    Forum Jump


                                    All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:19 PM.