ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old November 16th, 2012 (1:43 PM).
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CameraFan View Post
    Whenever I edit a trainer using PET, the battle theme is that of the Champion, anyone know why this is happening?
    Not that it affects anything much, I'm just sick of Wallace popping up whenever I battle a custom trainer.
    I'm sure there is an easy fix for that... But I'm just going to say: Use A-Trainer. It's far less buggy and is a LOT easier to use.

Relevant Advertising!

Old November 16th, 2012 (8:55 PM). Edited November 16th, 2012 by awipe1.

Does anyone have an ash trainer sprite/ashe overworld sprites I can use?
      I need them for my ROM and I can't find them anywhere and I am absolutly terrible at making sprites! (No joke, I am so bad I debated making all the characters stick figures)
      Old November 16th, 2012 (9:03 PM).
      Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by awipe1 View Post
        Does anyone have an ashe trainer sprite/ashe overworld sprites I can use?
        I need them for my ROM and I can't find them anywhere and I am absolutly terrible at making sprites! (No joke, I am so bad I debated making all the characters stick figures)
        I seriously just typed "Ash sprites and overworlds" on Google Images and came up with over fifty public sprites that look nice.

There are Ash overworld sprites on WAH's page somewhere too, if you want to look around there.
        Old November 16th, 2012 (11:59 PM).

I've never hacked a ROM before.

I'm thinking of hacking my girlfriends flora sky ROM for our anniversary to leave a nice little love message. Something like having a pokemon trainer called 'Puddingfork' that tells her he loves her.

Would this mess up her save? Would it be hard for me to do? Should I just take the easy route and and make the pokemon names spell something out?
          Old November 17th, 2012 (1:50 AM). Edited November 17th, 2012 by CameraFan.

Is it possible to create a trainer from scratch without editing another one?
            Old November 17th, 2012 (3:02 AM).
            Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by CameraFan View Post
              Is it possible to create a trainer from scratch without editing another one?
              You mean a new Trainer Sprite or a new Trainer Data?

For the sprite yup you can definitely do that but it will require Hex Editing and would get complicated. As for a new Trainer Data you can expand it using A-Trainer but it might cause problems in battling.
              Old November 17th, 2012 (4:35 AM).

Eh... I've been thinking of practicing hacking Emerald in my (unfortunately infinitesimal) free time, but I can't seem to save the maps I edit. Help?
                Old November 17th, 2012 (6:02 AM). Edited November 17th, 2012 by Herpahermaderp.
                I liek Mudkipz

Nature: Relaxed
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Puddingfork View Post
                  I've never hacked a ROM before.

I'm thinking of hacking my girlfriends flora sky ROM for our anniversary to leave a nice little love message. Something like having a pokemon trainer called 'Puddingfork' that tells her he loves her.

Would this mess up her save? Would it be hard for me to do? Should I just take the easy route and and make the pokemon names spell something out?
                  This wouldn't be hard to do and I believe that it would do nothing to her save. All you have to do is find the trainer you want to edit on A-Map, then find their script offset, open that offset in XSE, edit what you want to edit, then recompile it and your done.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Ach7AC View Post
                  Eh... I've been thinking of practicing hacking Emerald in my (unfortunately infinitesimal) free time, but I can't seem to save the maps I edit. Help?
                  Are you clicking the file>save button? If so, a little bit more info would help, like if your getting error messages or something. In A-Map everytime you switch your map it asks if you would like to save.
                  Old November 17th, 2012 (10:41 AM). Edited November 17th, 2012 by CameraFan.

Something just screwed up. I have to have a tileset swap between a town and a route, only to have some glitch effects happen when I try to travel to said route (can't post pic because I don't have 15 posts :s):

Problems:
                    Random invisible walls I didn't make
                    Houses from the swapped tileset turns glitchy
                    Some textures vanish
                    Game freeze

Am I right about why it's been caused? I like the house as it is normally and don't want to change it unless I have to.
                    edit- It's not to do with seeing tiles change. I expanded the map so you couldn't see anything change ahd trees shift position when you go into the route then back out. The connections are lined up so what's going wrong?
                    Old November 17th, 2012 (1:44 PM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Herpahermaderp View Post
                      This wouldn't be hard to do and I believe that it would do nothing to her save. All you have to do is find the trainer you want to edit on A-Map, then find their script offset, open that offset in XSE, edit what you want to edit, then recompile it and your done.

Are you clicking the file>save button? If so, a little bit more info would help, like if your getting error messages or something. In A-Map everytime you switch your map it asks if you would like to save.
                      I try saving, but it does not work. Every time I try to switch maps the program asks me if I want to save or not. If I click yes, nothing happens and I will not switch maps.
                      Old November 17th, 2012 (2:30 PM).
                      I liek Mudkipz

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Ach7AC View Post
                        I try saving, but it does not work. Every time I try to switch maps the program asks me if I want to save or not. If I click yes, nothing happens and I will not switch maps.
                        Then you should try deleting your A-Map and reinstall it. Btw, what version of A-Map are you using? I highly recommend using 1.92, since 1.95 is still buggy and tends to do stuff like this.
                        Old November 17th, 2012 (4:46 PM).
                        The Chibiest Absol ever :3

Nature: Naive
                          Ok I have another question for editing Pokemon Ruby, though this one may be kinda of so obvious that I'll be smacking myself in the forehead for asking but, how do I create an offset for an event say like an item?

I'm using XSE and I read the little tutorial thing on what script to use in order to make it so you can find an item, however, I tried to save but the save option is greyed out, and I tried the hot keys but they did nothing. Later I thought I could just type in random numbers and letters in the offset, hot key the save and attempt to see if the item was there but it wasn't. (go figure...)

Quote:
                          #dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
                          additem 0x5D 0x1
                          end
                          This is what I'm putting into the program so I can find a sunstone in a certain area of the game. (I can't believe the only way to obtain it is by talking to an old man in the space station) What I'm trying to do is make it so that you can "mine" for the evo stones in the Fossil Cave. I could find the events for the other 5 stones, all I had to do was make the overworld sprite invisible so they don't look like just some random Pokeballs sitting on rocks. That and I had to make their ID 0000 so you can always comeback later to get some more stones if need be.

Please help.

EDIT: What I mean by Fossil Cave, its just a map I made were you can catch the first form fossil Pokemon like Kabuto and such as well as Clefairy and Jigglypuff due to the fact that they HAVE to live near moonstones

Bliss is love
                          Yin and Yang
                          Yang and Yin

We are one in the same...

Heart and Soul
                          Soul and Heart
                          You and me
                          Me and you

Let our lives be more than this game...

~Hyper Chibi Absol

Hyper Chibi Absol x TheUmbreonMaster
                          Old November 17th, 2012 (5:47 PM). Edited November 17th, 2012 by Herpahermaderp.
                          I liek Mudkipz

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Hyper Chibi Absol View Post
                            Ok I have another question for editing Pokemon Ruby, though this one may be kinda of so obvious that I'll be smacking myself in the forehead for asking but, how do I create an offset for an event say like an item?

I'm using XSE and I read the little tutorial thing on what script to use in order to make it so you can find an item, however, I tried to save but the save option is greyed out, and I tried the hot keys but they did nothing. Later I thought I could just type in random numbers and letters in the offset, hot key the save and attempt to see if the item was there but it wasn't. (go figure...)

This is what I'm putting into the program so I can find a sunstone in a certain area of the game. (I can't believe the only way to obtain it is by talking to an old man in the space station) What I'm trying to do is make it so that you can "mine" for the evo stones in the Fossil Cave. I could find the events for the other 5 stones, all I had to do was make the overworld sprite invisible so they don't look like just some random Pokeballs sitting on rocks. That and I had to make their ID 0000 so you can always comeback later to get some more stones if need be.

Please help.

EDIT: What I mean by Fossil Cave, its just a map I made were you can catch the first form fossil Pokemon like Kabuto and such as well as Clefairy and Jigglypuff due to the fact that they HAVE to live near moonstones
                            #dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
                            giveitem 0x5D 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
                            end

no such thing as additem jus sayin

Now, I have a question. Is it possible to use trainer sprites with more than 16 colors? I've made this one, and it's 21 colors, but I don't really want to part with them...if it's not possible, I guess I will have to edit some out
                            Old November 17th, 2012 (6:31 PM).
                            Back from a break.

Nature: Modest
                              Right. So, i'm hacking my starters, and It will keep the description of the original starter (Let's say it's Bulbasaur). Im not going to, but say I used A-Starter to hack in a Mew, how can I make it say my own text like this; "Mew, the New Species Pokemon, it is easy to raise" Instead of it showing a picture of Mew and saying crap about Bulbasaur.

There aren't many Lions left in the world now, yet poachers still exist. Even though it is illegal it still happens. Don't have anything to do with poaching - Take pride in your actions (pun intended)
                              Old November 17th, 2012 (6:53 PM).
                              Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Ninjagon View Post
                                Right. So, i'm hacking my starters, and It will keep the description of the original starter (Let's say it's Bulbasaur). Im not going to, but say I used A-Starter to hack in a Mew, how can I make it say my own text like this; "Mew, the New Species Pokemon, it is easy to raise" Instead of it showing a picture of Mew and saying crap about Bulbasaur.
                                Edit the text using XSE open the script with it and edit the text that should work pretty well.
                                Old November 17th, 2012 (7:00 PM).
                                Back from a break.

Ok. Could you give me a script for that?

There aren't many Lions left in the world now, yet poachers still exist. Even though it is illegal it still happens. Don't have anything to do with poaching - Take pride in your actions (pun intended)
                                  Old November 17th, 2012 (8:32 PM).

Okay, so I suspect I'm probably going to be told this isn't possible, but how would one go about setting up the hero/heroine backsprites in FireRed so that they don't share the same palette anymore? Because this is really getting frustrating. I'd also like to know how to do the same with the overworld sprites.
                                    Old November 17th, 2012 (8:39 PM).
                                    Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Zaerosz View Post
                                      Okay, so I suspect I'm probably going to be told this isn't possible, but how would one go about setting up the hero/heroine backsprites in FireRed so that they don't share the same palette anymore? Because this is really getting frustrating. I'd also like to know how to do the same with the overworld sprites.
                                      It's possible to make the backsprites not to share the pallete but, it would be hard and would require hex editing and as for OW's there's already a tut made for it so it can be done in FireRed and you need Jpan's Engine and hex editing to do it.
                                      Old November 17th, 2012 (8:45 PM).

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by tajaros View Post
                                        It's possible to make the backsprites not to share the pallete but, it would be hard and would require hex editing and as for OW's there's already a tut made for it so it can be done in FireRed and you need Jpan's Engine and hex editing to do it.
                                        Okay, so it's possible. Good. How do I do it.
                                        Old November 17th, 2012 (8:46 PM).
                                        Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Ninjagon View Post
                                          Ok. Could you give me a script for that?
                                          Here's bulbasaur's script.

Quote:
                                          '---------------
                                          #org 0x169BAB
                                          lock
                                          faceplayer
                                          setvar 0x4001 0x0
                                          setvar 0x4002 0x1
                                          setvar 0x4003 0x4
                                          setvar 0x4004 0x7
                                          compare 0x4055 0x3
                                          if 0x4 goto 0x8169DE4
                                          compare 0x4055 0x2
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8169BE1
                                          msgbox 0x818EA19 0x4 '"Those are POKé BALLS.\nThey contai..."
                                          release
                                          end

'---------------
                                          #org 0x169DE4
                                          msgbox 0x818EA45 0x4 '"That's PROF. OAK's last POKéMON."
                                          release
                                          end

'---------------
                                          #org 0x169BE1
                                          applymovement 0x4 0x81A75EF
                                          waitmovement 0x0
                                          showpokepic 0x4002 0xA 0x3
                                          textcolor 0x0
                                          compare 0x4001 0x0
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8169C14
                                          compare 0x4001 0x1
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8169C33
                                          compare 0x4001 0x2
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8169C52
                                          end

'---------------
                                          #org 0x169C14
                                          msgbox 0x818E272 0x5 '"I see! BULBASAUR is your choice.\n..."
                                          compare 0x800D 0x1
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8169C74
                                          compare 0x800D 0x0
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8169C71
                                          end

'---------------
                                          #org 0x169C33
                                          msgbox 0x818E207 0x5 '"Hm! SQUIRTLE is your choice.\nIt's..."
                                          compare 0x800D 0x1
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8169C74
                                          compare 0x800D 0x0
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8169C71
                                          end

'---------------
                                          #org 0x169C52
                                          msgbox 0x818E194 0x5 '"Ah! CHARMANDER is your choice.\nYo..."
                                          compare 0x800D 0x1
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8169C74
                                          compare 0x800D 0x0
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8169C71
                                          end

'---------------
                                          #org 0x169C74
                                          hidepokepic
                                          hidesprite 0x800F
                                          msgbox 0x818E2E5 0x4 '"This POKéMON is really quite\nener..."
                                          call 0x81A6675
                                          setflag 0x828
                                          setflag 0x291
                                          givepokemon 0x4002 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
                                          copyvar 0x4031 0x4001
                                          bufferpokemon 0x0 0x4002
                                          preparemsg 0x818E30D '"[player] received the [buffer1]\nf..."
                                          waitmsg
                                          fanfare 0x13E
                                          waitfanfare
                                          msgbox 0x81A56A7 0x5 '"Do you want to give a nickname to\..."
                                          compare 0x800D 0x1
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8169CCC
                                          compare 0x800D 0x0
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8169CDC
                                          end

'---------------
                                          #org 0x169C71
                                          hidepokepic
                                          release
                                          end

'---------------
                                          #org 0x1A6675
                                          copyvar 0x8012 0x8013
                                          return

'---------------
                                          #org 0x169CCC
                                          setvar 0x8004 0x0
                                          call 0x81A74EB
                                          goto 0x8169CDC

'---------------
                                          #org 0x169CDC
                                          closeonkeypress
                                          compare 0x4001 0x0
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8169CFF
                                          compare 0x4001 0x1
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8169D1F
                                          compare 0x4001 0x2
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8169D0F
                                          end

'---------------
                                          #org 0x1A74EB
                                          fadescreen 0x1
                                          special 0x9E
                                          waitstate
                                          return

'---------------
                                          #org 0x169CFF
                                          applymovement 0x8 0x8169D62
                                          waitmovement 0x0
                                          goto 0x8169D2F

'---------------
                                          #org 0x169D1F
                                          applymovement 0x8 0x8169D72
                                          waitmovement 0x0
                                          goto 0x8169D2F

'---------------
                                          #org 0x169D0F
                                          applymovement 0x8 0x8169D6B
                                          waitmovement 0x0
                                          goto 0x8169D2F

'---------------
                                          #org 0x169D2F
                                          textcolor 0x0
                                          msgbox 0x818DD34 0x4 '"[rival]: I'll take this one, then!"
                                          hidesprite 0x4004
                                          textcolor 0x3
                                          bufferpokemon 0x0 0x4003
                                          preparemsg 0x818DD52 '"[rival] received the [buffer1]\nfr..."
                                          waitmsg
                                          fanfare 0x13E
                                          waitfanfare
                                          setvar 0x4055 0x3
                                          checkflag 0x83E
                                          if 0x1 call 0x8169D5C
                                          release
                                          end

'---------------
                                          #org 0x169D5C
                                          setvar 0x4070 0x1
                                          return

'---------
                                          ' Strings
                                          '---------
                                          #org 0x18EA19
                                          = Those are POKé BALLS.\nThey contain POKéMON!

#org 0x18EA45
                                          = That's PROF. OAK's last POKéMON.

#org 0x18E272
                                          = I see! BULBASAUR is your choice.\nIt's very easy to raise.\pSo, [player], you want to go with\nthe GRASS POKéMON BULBASAUR?

#org 0x18E207
                                          = Hm! SQUIRTLE is your choice.\nIt's one worth raising.\pSo, [player], you've decided on the\nWATER POKéMON SQUIRTLE?

#org 0x18E194
                                          = Ah! CHARMANDER is your choice.\nYou should raise it patiently.\pSo, [player], you're claiming the\nFIRE POKéMON CHARMANDER?

#org 0x18E2E5
                                          = This POKéMON is really quite\nenergetic!

#org 0x18E30D
                                          = [player] received the [buffer1]\nfrom PROF. OAK!

#org 0x1A56A7
                                          = Do you want to give a nickname to\nthis [buffer1]?

#org 0x18DD34
                                          = [rival]: I'll take this one, then!

#org 0x18DD52
                                          = [rival] received the [buffer1]\nfrom PROF. OAK!

'-----------
                                          ' Movements
                                          '-----------
                                          #org 0x1A75EF
                                          #raw 0x3 'Face Right
                                          #raw 0xFE 'End of Movements

#org 0x169D62
                                          #raw 0x10 'Step Down (Normal)
                                          #raw 0x13 'Step Right (Normal)
                                          #raw 0x11 'Step Up (Normal)

#org 0x169D72
                                          #raw 0x2E 'Face Up (Delayed)

#org 0x169D6B
                                          #raw 0x2E 'Face Up (Delayed)
                                          Here are the offset you can copy paste the offset's in XSE to decompile them. And you can have XSE Open scripts in A-map.

Bulbasaur's Script - 0x169BAB
                                          Squirtle's Script - 0x169D78
                                          Charmander's Script - 0x169DAE

The script's for this event's are quite complicated so I think it will be easier if you make a starter script from scratch.

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Zaerosz View Post
                                          Okay, so it's possible. Good. How do I do it.
                                          Sorry as of now I don't know how to do it yet.
                                          Old November 17th, 2012 (10:17 PM).
                                          Back from a break.

thanks. That is a very complicated script for a beginner like me lol. I'll just VM you for questions xD

Old November 18th, 2012 (5:37 AM).
                                            surfer treecko surfer treecko is offline
                                            help, how do I...?

How do I prevent AdvanceMap from breaking the music in Emerald? I know it involves changing the ini it uses, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to change.
                                              Old November 18th, 2012 (7:51 PM).
                                              Hyper Chibi Absol Hyper Chibi Absol is offline
                                              The Chibiest Absol ever :3

Nature: Naive
                                                Ok.... this is severely irritating. I tried to change the script to create a Sun stone spawning point by changing the script of another item (I tested it on a PP UP in the route outside of the Fossil Cave but now the event doesn't work even though I the offset back to the original. :s )

Can someone help me find out to create the offset needed to make a "pokeball" item?

Here are some screenshots of what I was trying to do.

Spoiler:

Bliss is love
                                                Yin and Yang
                                                Yang and Yin

We are one in the same...

Heart and Soul
                                                Soul and Heart
                                                You and me
                                                Me and you

Let our lives be more than this game...

~Hyper Chibi Absol

Hyper Chibi Absol x TheUmbreonMaster
                                                Old November 19th, 2012 (12:21 PM).

How do I find and edit the Prof. Oak sprite in the intro? It doesn't seem to be on unlz-GBA (there's one but it didn't change the Oak in the intro when I changed that.)
                                                  Old November 19th, 2012 (5:09 PM).

Okay, after looking around a bit I have no idea what to do about this, so:

1. Are we allowed to make requests for ASM?
                                                    2. If so, where can I do that? Just in the main ROM Hacking section?
                                                    Closed Thread

Quick Reply