• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Which Pokemon did you consider "useless" for journeys?

sunshinesan

Pokesho fan
Years
  • Seen May 9, 2014
wut. Am I the only person that can successfully use in-game Umbreon? lmao...On my last Black 2 playthrough, my Umbreon was MVP. ;(

Oh, and someone mentioned Smeargle earlier and I wanna agree with that as well. I LOVE Smeargle, don't get me wrong, but I just used one in a challenge and it just dragged the whole team down. It had its moments, but more often than not, it was a nuisance to the whole team. It has a niche in competitive play though, so at least it's not a total waste. Too bad it can't have Moody.

Umbreon is slow and weak offensively. It has a terrible offensive movepool and poor coverage. In gamewise, you pretty much want the exact opposite. Fast and Strong offensively so you're not prancing around every wild pokemon just to level up. This is why pokes like Archeops are so good, and great pokemon competitivewise that depends on stalling or other non offensive strategies like Ferrowthorn, Umbreon, etc. are very low tiered.

Pvt Tamama

Chii!
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
i think the starters are useless i ditch them right after the first gym most of the time and any pokemon on the first few routes most of the time they seem weak or just get in the way eventually and zubats!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Umbreon is slow and weak offensively. It has a terrible offensive movepool and poor coverage. In gamewise, you pretty much want the exact opposite. Fast and Strong offensively so you're not prancing around every wild pokemon just to level up. This is why pokes like Archeops are so good, and great pokemon competitivewise that depends on stalling or other non offensive strategies like Ferrowthorn, Umbreon, etc. are very low tiered.

Err, yeah, I know how to play the game. Speaking of Ferrothorn, I did fine with that in-game as well. You can use whatever you want in-game and of course, it's not gonna work for everyone, but it might work for someone else. I mentioned Zebstrika being awful and I remember reading a post once where someone enjoyed using it. Different strokes for different folks.

Zapperz

colour swapper!
Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
I used Umbreon countless of times and its wonderful.

anyway, Mine has to be Zebstrika. Its moves are.. okay..? But I remember playing a friend's game in the past and it kept on getting OHKOed most of the time..

Years
Hmm... I had moderate success with Zebstrika (being that, it was on my team from the moment I caught it right through to the Elite Four). It wasn't the best, but it was a solid 5th-6th member in my party.

Personally, I always found the early game rodent Pokemon to be pretty useless (Rattata, Sentret, Zigzagoon, Bidoof, Patrat). They might add a little depth to your team to start off, but I was never able to use them much further than the first or second gym before they became a hinderance to my team.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I haven't exactly used any Pokemon that have become a hindrance for my team, but if I had to choose, it would have to be grass-types. I've used grass-types such as Bellsprout in GSC before and in time found them to be quite not what I had in mind for a good team. Since I focus more on all-out powerful, fast, offensive Pokemon and grass-types aren't what you'd call offensive - they play more of supporter roles, they did little to help me. This is what I think.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
I haven't exactly used any Pokemon that have become a hindrance for my team, but if I had to choose, it would have to be grass-types. I've used grass-types such as Bellsprout in GSC before and in time found them to be quite not what I had in mind for a good team. Since I focus more on all-out powerful, fast, offensive Pokemon and grass-types aren't what you'd call offensive - they play more of supporter roles, they did little to help me. This is what I think.

Bellsprout was suckish in the earlier Gens. Grass Types were very weak at the time, lack of moves, Giga Drain was very weak and had little HP yet a lot use it. My team consists to good Pokemon with a good enough speed and movesets. But in Wi-Fi battles, I use a range, it doesn't matter by speed.

sunshinesan

Pokesho fan
Years
  • Seen May 9, 2014
Err, yeah, I know how to play the game. Speaking of Ferrothorn, I did fine with that in-game as well. You can use whatever you want in-game and of course, it's not gonna work for everyone, but it might work for someone else. I mentioned Zebstrika being awful and I remember reading a post once where someone enjoyed using it. Different strokes for different folks.
Well the game is easy enough that thankfully use your favorites, bar things like Delibird. Doesn't discount the fact that Umbreon is pretty bad relatively no matter how you slice it.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I don't have any specific Pokemon in mind, but usually if they can't learn any HMs and have a pretty poor movepool then I won't bother with them. Also if the stats aren't up to par then it's questionable, I'm trying to use Delcatty on my post-E4 White 2 team but... if you know Delcatty's stats then you know my predicament lol.

Oh oops already posted in this thread ;( Ah well at least I added some.

Volcanix769

Years
I swear Zebstrika is so weak and I hated his movesets. And Ferrothron is strong though, I used him in Random Matchup and his Curse and Leech Seed attack makes him more difficult to defeat. EV trained him in Attack and Defense.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I loved Azurill's design but it was so weak when I tried to use it that I had to drop it. >_o
Azurill itself is difficult to work with at first, but it has great potential assuming it has Huge Power. My Azumarill is the single greatest member of my Black 2 team. Not even other Water-types are safe after a couple of Work Ups, and she has great survivability with naturally high HP and Leftovers + Aqua Ring.

And for me, I think it is a Dunsparce. It is a Normal-type and has a horrible speed including a bad movepool. I never use it on any Pokemon game.
If you only value speed and offence, that is unfortunate. It gets a variety of moves which compliment its relatively high HP stat.

Being slow and bulky is not to be underestimated!
I don't consider anything useless.

LeooUndead

Canadian.
Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2013
I used a Ariados is a run of HG one time, sucks so badly, i would try as hard as i vould to get it in battles but its only half decent use was poisoning cause of its terrible movepool, i had a Sunflora on the same team with it and no lie it was 10x more useful than the ariados.
I also consider Foretress extremely useless in game. No decent moves, only good defensively, I was so bored and annoyed with it i traded in a Vibrava before the elite four to take its place.
Emolga, Swoobat, and Maractus have to be the most useless gen 5. I thought with emolga being so rare it would be worth training, but it has no use, only good speed but that didn't matter cause of the defence. Swoobat, used that in the frst play of Black. Didn't do anything, i replaced it with Mandibuzz late game, just as worthless.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
Ditto. Apart from breeding, it can only learn one move, and it's not even that good unless the Pokemon you're transforming into has a move that's effective against itself.

'nuff said. :P

Volcanix769

Years
I used a Ariados is a run of HG one time, sucks so badly, i would try as hard as i vould to get it in battles but its only half decent use was poisoning cause of its terrible movepool, i had a Sunflora on the same team with it and no lie it was 10x more useful than the ariados.
I also consider Foretress extremely useless in game. No decent moves, only good defensively, I was so bored and annoyed with it i traded in a Vibrava before the elite four to take its place.
Emolga, Swoobat, and Maractus have to be the most useless gen 5. I thought with emolga being so rare it would be worth training, but it has no use, only good speed but that didn't matter cause of the defence. Swoobat, used that in the frst play of Black. Didn't do anything, i replaced it with Mandibuzz late game, just as worthless.

I don't agree with Forretress. Its Bug Bite attack(the only good Bug Type attack it can get of his moveset) is very good. Its low speed gives its Gyro Ball attack massive power towards fast opponents.

It sets out good entry hazards like Spikes and Stealth Rock. Its very sturdy with Defense, good with Attack along with its Light Screen and Reflect walls. Vibrava doesn't make much a difference if you replaced it. You should've kept Forretress and don't judge it for its Speed and learnset when you got a powerhouse.

Ariados isn't that bad considering the learnset and stats. Yes Swoobat is annoying and useless and the others you mentioned.

Don Bastio

Banned
Years
magikarp lol i think that's the point to get you to evolve it. it doesn't help that gyarados had flying tacked on to it when it can only learn 1 flying type move, its just more vulnerable to electric attacks.

Pinta77

I'd have to say unown and that spiny ear pichu. I love the spiny pichu, but as far as I know the stats aren't great and you cant transfer it into gen 5.

ahmet476

standing around
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
I usually check pokémon on bulbapedia before deciding to use it because I haven't watched all of the anime and don't have much info about newer pokémon. I always stay away from anything that has a 4x weakness. Shellos is an example. It's evolved form Gastrodon might be strong but gets OHKOed by almost any grass attack.

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
Care to expound on that?
What pokemon do you consider ugly. It's what's inside that counts!(a.k.a. stats, movepool, lol)

Sometimes I don't like a pokemon design but like thier idea origin or something like that, then I start to like it.
But really even if a pokemon have massive stats and awesome movepool I simply can't use it because I don't like it. s:

Pokemon I consider the most ugly:
Marmatinian family, Amoongus family, Mr Mime, Porygon family, Jynx, Magmortar, Heatran, Rhyperior, Hippowdon, Hariyama, Pinsir, Qwilfish, Nosepass family, Azumarill family, Lickilicky, Loudred, Drownzee, Pignite, Emboar... Yup, I guess they're the pokemon that would never exist in my team and neither any of my boxes.

Last edited:
Back