• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Wii Mini

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Curious :o I think it's a pretty cool idea tbh, it'd be perfect for people that use the Wii casually for things like Wii Fit or Just Dance or whatever and they can't afford to buy the original console to just play a couple of games on (assuming it's cheaper... it must be, right?) I personally wouldn't buy for myself one since I love playing online and I'd hate not having SD storage or USB ports for gaming accessories, but that's just because I spend far too much of my time playing far too many games. I would however buy it for my mother since she constantly talks about wanting to borrow our Wii to play Just Dance on as a form of exercise but then can't work out how to set the whole thing up, whereas theoretically the new mini-Wii would be much more simple as there'd be far less settings and features to worry about. So assuming it's significantly cheaper than the original console with all the capabilities I think it's a good idea, just not for me personally. Also it looks really cool!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
This isn't new territory for Nintendo, they've just taken a break on the console front for the last couple of generation cycles.

The NES 2 came out shortly after the SuperNES was release. The SuperNES mini was released shortly after the release of the N64. And of course the Game Boy micro (which was part of the GBA line) came out after the DS was already released.

320px-NES-101-Console-Set.jpg
320px-SNES-Model-2-Set.jpg
320px-Game-Boy-Micro.png

Standard fare. By this point, even if they look different, they're now ridiculously cheap to produce. And as such, easy and profitable pickings to sell to those few who are interested (collectors, perhaps) and stragglers who are late to the party.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think it might be good for like what Triforce said. Collectors, people that don't have a regular Wii, or those without sufficient funds to get one, so in the case of the latter, it's a nice gift if you're on a tight budget and have a child or someone that really wants one. It skimps out on a lot, but hey, for the price and since there are plenty of great games in the Wii library, it's not too big of one to pay.

I myself wouldn't buy one, even for collecting purposes, but I think it has a decent enough market to appeal to.

User19sq

With the WiiU hitting the stores, I doubt anyone would opt to buy the Wii Mini over the WiiU. Collectors might, but I still feel that this was a bad career move. Nonetheless, they're at least thinking of the economy, so there's a good thing. For people who don't have internet connections, they can at least buy this without complaints for the right price. Otherwise, I myself wouldn't buy it.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
It's not something I don't plan on buying because I already have a Wii. But I definitely see Nintendo collectors buying it. The fact that it's only available in Canada at the moment brings up it's rareness. I can also see casual gamers like my dad who use the Wii for Wii Sports or WiiFit or people who just want to use the motion control part of the Wii buying it. Though the fact that it's not backwards compatible or doesn't have WiFi turns it off for me.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I'm someone that craves older-system capatibility like Gamecube support, but honestly...this console is deemed too simple for me. I prefer the other Wii (the one before the Wii U) where it does have Gamecube support, and SD card support. As someone who likes to collect, I see myself buying that and keeping it for collectible purposes.

I'm surprised though, that it's Canada-exclusive.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I'm pretty sure there was a minor Wii revision in recent years that was available in North America and Europe, but not Japan, that already ditched GameCube support.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
That... is really ugly. Seriously, it looks like it's made out of rubber. Why would anyone want this? @_@ I don't look at that and thing "Wii"; I don't even look at it and thing "Nintendo". It's just such an odd design. I have no idea what they were thinking.

I think the stripped down features bother me less than the design. :P I mean, the lack of backwards compatibility is probably the only feature dealbreaker for me and that doesn't surprise me because I don't think Wiis have been backwards compatible since the black one came out. (Or somewhere in there they dropped it, anyway.) The online capabilities of the Wii are kind of laughable. All you'd be missing out on is WiiWare/VC and that's not too big a deal. If you're skimping and going for the $100 version of the console, you're probably not interested in buying overpriced old games and indie games that are mostly cheap on PC anyway. The SD card thing is a little baffling to me though because it's not like it wouldn't be cheap to include the slot but internal storage is probably more than enough if you aren't downloading games/channels for the Wii.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
That... is really ugly. Seriously, it looks like it's made out of rubber. Why would anyone want this? @_@ I don't look at that and thing "Wii"; I don't even look at it and thing "Nintendo". It's just such an odd design. I have no idea what they were thinking.
It's very McDonald's Big Mac clamshell box-esque

Years
I didn't think it was possible for the Wii to be worse, but now it is.
Seriously, stripping it of its add ons that help it float in the industry and the big one, for me, is killing GC compatibility; total waste of time.​

NatureKeeper

I personally second AWsquared's opinion. If you have a Wii, then this thing is useless, but it is mighty good for casual gamers.

And I like the design I dunno what you guys are talking about. ._.

P.S. Fabio, why do you hate Nintendo so, so much? xD

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
Huh.. so from the pic, I assume it's the size of one of those old portable CD players?

I'd get it for the portability.. well, yeah,I can't play it outside, but you know, take it to a friend's house...

Canada exclusive seems kinda random though...

Years
I think what they have done is very stupid. It's like they have taken the Wii, and put it back a decade with none of the key features it possessed previously. I don't see Nintendo making a profit out of this; gamers wouldn't want a product like this, I can only see Nintendo collectors/hardcore fan-type people buying this product. Sorry, but I think this is really not going to become a hit.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I think that this might be a hit in emerging markets and less economically developed countries because of it's affordability. Plus, the lack of wi-fi would not hurt them seeing how people in those countries usually don't have broadband and some even use their mobile phone as their main internet device.

The thing is, this is currently a Canada only thing. I don't see why they could try and break into African or Brazilian markets with this, it's overall a bit of a oddity of a console.

On the console itself, I think it looks quite nice. Matte Black needs to be used over the glossy crap we get in most things today. As a added bonus, the top-loading nature of the device means that there are less parts to break.

EonJolteon

Electric Aficionado
Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2012

It almost looks like something out the 80's. xD
The texture of the console itself is... gross. I'm honestly shocked by the design, too. ><

But really, it looks retro. Nintendo, you silly. xP

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I think what they have done is very stupid. It's like they have taken the Wii, and put it back a decade with none of the key features it possessed previously. I don't see Nintendo making a profit out of this; gamers wouldn't want a product like this, I can only see Nintendo collectors/hardcore fan-type people buying this product. Sorry, but I think this is really not going to become a hit.
It's not for gamers. It's not supposed to become a hit (heck, it's limited just to Canada). It's for a niche of casual stragglers who never got the Wii before. And Nintendo for sure will make a profit. The cost of that old technology today? How could they not make a profit?

Years
It's not for gamers. It's not supposed to become a hit (heck, it's limited just to Canada). It's for a niche of casual stragglers who never got the Wii before. And Nintendo for sure will make a profit. The cost of that old technology today? How could they not make a profit?
It should eventually be released elsewhere, I don't see them sticking to only selling them in Canada. Also, with the price of the Wii having dropped, I don't think that there would be much of a decision between the actual Wii and the Wii Mini.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
It's a very retro design, that's for sure. But I'm not sure how many people will buy it. I think most people that want a Wii own one by now, and it's a dead console at this point since Nintendo has moved on to the Wii U.

I don't see this going very far, to be honest. The Game Boy Micro was tiny and had a brilliant screen, so that was a selling point. This...really has none. :/

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I won't buy it due to its lack of GCN support (meaning no GCN controllers for Brawl) and SD card support (unless it means it has more memory than a regular Wii).

Mr. Magius

  
Years
LOL@CANADA

But I don't know what Nintendo was thinking. The Wii itself isn't even selling (probably due to the PS3 and 360 competition), so what will stripping away its features do? I personally won't buy it, because (1) I already have one lol, and (2) If I didn't already have one, I'd still buy the full-size Wii because of all the essential features. I wouldn't think there are too many strictly casual gamers on the Wii console that would imply they need such a puny console like this.

The fact that Nintendo's new console is the Wii-U yet they extended their old, nearly obsolete console bewilders me. It's like if Nintendo released a new type of GBC as they released the GBA. (???????!!)

Back