The PokéCommunity Forums The PokéCommunity Archives Fan Clubs & Groups
The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old December 7th, 2012 (7:23 AM).
Expect me like you expect Jesus.

Nature: Adamant
I think that's a common case of mistaking gender identity and sexuality as the same thing, when they're in fact two very different animals. This is the one problem with lumping us all in together in the one community - it's pretty practical in just about every other way, but it makes it difficult for people to see it as two separate things.
Old December 7th, 2012 (11:36 AM).

So, I was wondering, do you guys know any TV shows, games or movies in which one of the protagonists is gay/bi/trans etc.? (And I don't mean yaoi, yuri or the like.)

For example, I've never really seen a video game where one of the characters seemed to be gay. You always have straight couples which I find kind of boring sometimes. Well, I guess this is due to the great amount of people who don't accept homosexuality but who knows... There might still be exceptions.
    Old December 7th, 2012 (12:13 PM).
    It's ok to cry.

Nature: Sassy
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by LaVida View Post
      So, I was wondering, do you guys know any TV shows, games or movies in which one of the protagonists is gay/bi/trans etc.? (And I don't mean yaoi, yuri or the like.)

For example, I've never really seen a video game where one of the characters seemed to be gay. You always have straight couples which I find kind of boring sometimes. Well, I guess this is due to the great amount of people who don't accept homosexuality but who knows... There might still be exceptions.
      The only one I can think of is a TV show, Pretty Little Liars. One of the four girls is gay. I'm sure there are tons of other examples, but I don't watch that much TV or play that many games anyways.

Old December 7th, 2012 (12:28 PM).

Whoa! News! (sorry I'm cutting into the conversation again)

The U.S. Supreme Court has decided to take up Prop 8 (the ban against gay marriage in California) and DOMA (the so-called Defense of Marriage Act which bans that federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages). Several things could happen:

- They could rule against the bans, but only inasmuch as they would say that you can't take away a right once it was given (in California we had same-sex marriage for a short while in a few places before Prop 8) or that it's up to states to decide how to handle this, striking down DOMA but leaving all the bans in over 30 states.

- They could rule that bans on same-sex marriage are just flat-out unconstitutional and all the bans would go away. Same-sex marriage would be legal everywhere.

- They could also rule in favor of the bans, even possibly taking away the right to marry in those states that already have laws saying it's okay.

- They could do something really unexpected and surprising that does something completely different.

But in any case it'll probably be months and months before they even start hearing arguments.
      Old December 7th, 2012 (1:17 PM).
      It's ok to cry.

Nature: Sassy
        I've been looking into this topic a bit more extensively as of late (still have no clue about some of it though haha). Anyways, I've always been under the impression that it was more of a cascade effect. Once some states legalized same-sex marriage, it'd only be a matter of time before the country fell in suit. I guess I was blind to the idea that this could be taken away from states even where it is legal. So not only could there be no progress forward, there's a possibility a couple steps could be taken backwards.

Nevertheless I think federal action is definitely news that is welcome. Albeit it might take awhile, stuff'll eventually have to happen. ;P

Old December 7th, 2012 (1:31 PM).

UK news!

David Cameron (Prime Minister) has announced that he doesn't want the gay community excluded from faith groups, and will be fighting for the permission of gay marriages (leaving the decisions to each individual priest/whatever).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20642428
        Old December 7th, 2012 (4:15 PM).

Nature: Timid
        The DOMA and Prop 8 news makes my day even if it's far off. There's a chance for same sex marriage to be nation wide in the USA! Though, they're speculating that they will remove the ban in California but not extend it throughout the entire country. Also, that they'll strike down DOMA since three different cases ruled it unconstitutional for three different reasons. These are just speculations (of course) and anything could happen really but I'll definitely be watching this stuff closely.

"I'm ready for a nap..."
        [YOU ARE CHALLENGED BY TIRED STUDENT RETRO BUG]
        Pokémon:

The Meta Journey
        Old December 7th, 2012 (10:32 PM).
        Memento mori...

Nature: Quiet
          I stopped reading about politics a long time ago. I always get so angry whenever I do. *sigh*

On the other hand, this is very intriguing. I might just follow this very closely, provided I don't explode with rage like all those other times.
          Old December 8th, 2012 (12:53 PM).
          Uh, I didn't do it

Nature: Brave
          Quote:

You need to get out there more then!

There are lots of shows with LGBT characters. To name a few: Doctor Who, Torchwood, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Degrassi, Glee, Bedlam, and soo many more, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

For video games; Every romance character in Dragon Age 2 is bi, as well as in Dragon Age Origins there are two bi characters that I know of. Mass Effect has a quite a few as well. Skyrim has same sex marriage. Even games like Grand Theft Auto have a few LGBT characters.
          Old December 8th, 2012 (12:57 PM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post
          UK news!

David Cameron (Prime Minister) has announced that he doesn't want the gay community excluded from faith groups, and will be fighting for the permission of gay marriages (leaving the decisions to each individual priest/whatever).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20642428
          It's nice he's trying to be inclusive, but personally I don't like how much he's conflating marriage with religion. Know what I mean? Almost like he's asking churches for their permission to have same-sex marriages. But at least it's something. And as an American it's encouraging to see a political party that calls itself conservative being behind anything in favor of gay people.
          Old December 8th, 2012 (2:43 PM).

Nature: Timid
          Quote:

LOST GIRL! I'd suggest this show to everyone! I love it. Happy Endings, The New Normal, Chicago Fire, etc. Actually I'll just link you to this Wiki page. Here you go. And here's a list of movies. Movies.

If you want to talk more about it (I like to ramble about these things.) you can always VM me and I can suggest my favorites and what not.

"I'm ready for a nap..."
          [YOU ARE CHALLENGED BY TIRED STUDENT RETRO BUG]
          Pokémon:

The Meta Journey
          Old December 11th, 2012 (8:17 PM).
          Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
            Uruguay recognizes gay marriage.

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2012/12/11/uruguay-congress-voting-on-gay-marriage

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
            Old December 12th, 2012 (1:26 PM).

Well, not yet it hasn't, but it does look like it's likely to happen.

I'm especially heartened that they've proposed language changes and generally seem to have covered several issues with one law.

Quote:
            The bill also would clarify rules for adoption and in-vitro fertilization, and eliminate the words "marido y mujer" (husband and woman) in marriage contracts, refering instead to the gender neutral "contrayentes" (contracting parties).
            But this part made me chuckle a little.

Quote:
            The naming change seemed to cause the most controversy as the measure came through legislative committees.

In the end, the legislators proposed to let all couples choose which surname comes first for their children.
            I had no idea it was normal for people to have two last names.
            Old December 12th, 2012 (6:19 PM).
            (>^.(>0.0)>

Nature: Careful
            Turns out you're not born that way:http://sourcefednews.com/theres-no-gay-gene-says-scientists/

This is more or less what I thought to begin with, so I'm not too surprised. Although, I was starting to get comfortable with the idea of being born with it. I don't think it really changes anything one way or another, even if it can be proven 100%, but it's worth a read.

Full study if you want to read it for some reason: http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdfplus/10.1086/668167.pdf?acceptTC=true
            Old December 12th, 2012 (6:45 PM).
            [b]Rock Solid[/b]

The article makes it sound like you ARE born that way. (Am I reading it incorrectly? Guess I'll need to read the full study later.) So is this saying that people are conceived to be bisexual but these epigenetic markers control which trait is expressed and the other suppressed?

When kings upon the main have clung to pride
              And held themselves as masters of the sea
              I've held them down beneath the crushing tide
              Till they have learned that no one masters me
              Old December 12th, 2012 (8:26 PM).
              (>^.(>0.0)>

Well, I guess it IS saying you were born that way, but that it isn't due to genetics, and that other factors of pregnancy causes it. As far as I can tell anyway... I'm definitely no expert on the subject, haha.
              Old December 13th, 2012 (6:08 AM).
              Meowna Fan

Nature: Jolly
              I think the main factor is your environment. Though I don't know when sexuality becomes permanently established.
              Pokemon Cursed/Creepy White - Group project, on hiatus for now with plans to return eventually.
              Animal Crossing Wild World playing as an animal - experimental, messing with models and textures

Hacks I've worked on in the past:
              Pokemon Ruby Destiny Broken Timeline (pre-reboot) - Assisted with maps
              Pokemon HeartGold Prince Boo Edition - Experimental project with three small changes. Made at the request of YouTube LPer PrinceBoo21.

Been super busy with work, life, and laptop problems. Hopefully I can get back into it soon, I fear I'm already rusty. Meanwhile I'm considering writing some of my hacks as a series of fanfics.

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
              Times I've ninja'd people: 3
              Old December 13th, 2012 (9:31 AM).
              Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Quote:
                Originally Posted by U_Flame View Post
                I think the main factor is your environment. Though I don't know when sexuality becomes permanently established.
                I always considered that it was established in the womb, since genetic dispositions are out of the question. While traumatic events well after birth could do the trick, I believe that to be just temporary; a side-effect of the traumatic event.

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
                Old December 14th, 2012 (5:21 PM).
                Expect me like you expect Jesus.

Nature: Adamant
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
                It makes me feel bad about being Australian when Uruguay is closer than we are to marriage equality.

As to the "born this way" argument, I've always thought it'd be kind of awesome to pin-point the exact cause of homosexuality. That way, we might be able to find a way to turn people gay! The potential is there. There are a couple of guys I'd like to get my hands on but I can't because they have that annoying fetish for lady parts. :(
                Old December 14th, 2012 (5:41 PM).
                Memento mori...

Nature: Quiet
                  Wow. Just...wow. I had no idea that a single post would turn me from a blubbering, sobbing mess to rolling on the floor in hysterics. You, sir, have made my day.
                  Old December 14th, 2012 (6:14 PM).

I wanted to post about this when I first read about it, but I wanted to wrap my head around the idea first... and I still haven't. What in the world are epigenetic markers anyway? They were never covered in biology class.

I'm still open about genetic factors, but from what I do understand it is pretty convincing, especially when you think of those cases where you have twins where one is gay and not the other. Or am I just thinking of that one instance where one of the twins ended up being trans? Anyway, I was kinda hoping we'd get to a place where we wouldn't care if someone was gay.
                  Old December 14th, 2012 (6:30 PM). Edited December 14th, 2012 by Alice.
                  (>^.(>0.0)>

My mom got me a birthday card with a giant Dachshund on the cover, that said "Well, you wished for a big wiener didn't you?"

It was so shocking, lol.
                  Old December 14th, 2012 (9:06 PM).
                  [b]Rock Solid[/b]

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
                    I wanted to post about this when I first read about it, but I wanted to wrap my head around the idea first... and I still haven't. What in the world are epigenetic markers anyway? They were never covered in biology class.

I'm still open about genetic factors, but from what I do understand it is pretty convincing, especially when you think of those cases where you have twins where one is gay and not the other. Or am I just thinking of that one instance where one of the twins ended up being trans? Anyway, I was kinda hoping we'd get to a place where we wouldn't care if someone was gay.
                    Um, from what I understand epigenetics are kind of like the translation of your genes which give rise to phenotypes/traits, without altering DNA. Supposedly these specific markers come from the opposite gendered parent, which causes homosexuality I guess?

So if I understand it correctly, if my mother gives me sass about being gay I can give her the sass right back because its her fault.

Anyways, if someone is biology-savvy please make like a complex carbohydrate and break this down for us.

When kings upon the main have clung to pride
                    And held themselves as masters of the sea
                    I've held them down beneath the crushing tide
                    Till they have learned that no one masters me
                    Old December 14th, 2012 (11:13 PM).

I had a very interesting opportunity to interview someone who identified as a "redneck." Thought I'd share what he had to say.

I think it can either be an overwhelming imbalance of estrogen vs testosterone but I also think that some men/women just prefer the company of a similar mind set and body
                      pure proof due to seeing buff gays and feminine lesbians
                      My belief lies on the wrongful denial of any individuals lifestyle or preference

And here's his consent that I asked for xD
                      Hey do you mind if I shared your opinion on homosexuality with some people. I thought it was an interesting view and wanted to share it
                      I don't mind at all
                      I wish more people would be as comfortable
                      closet casing just leads to unnecessary anger and closeminded people enforce that anger

It's nice to see some openness from a redneck :)

And I'm a bio major, but I don't exactly get what you want broken down. And I'm a microbiology major, not a geneticist so my information might be lacking in that department :/
                      Old December 15th, 2012 (9:17 AM).

I'm back after such a long time but I have the best news of my life. I don't know what happened, but my sister was able to convince my mother to accept me and I've been finally allowed back home. I've been home for two days now and everything seems fine. She even seems happy about it. Not sure why, but at least she isn't being a prick anymore. I'm so happy :')

Quick Reply