ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old December 5th, 2012 (9:58 PM).
Heiki Hecchara‌‌
  • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Chibi Absol View Post
Thank you for the help. :3

Also I need help with something else. I'm getting an error message every time I'm trying to save my Pokemon now which means I can't change the Pokemon you find in certain routes. *frown* Here's a screen shot. Can someone help me with this?

Spoiler:
I did some experimenting to replicate what you've been experiencing and it seems like you may have overwritten a number of pointers which point to the lists (Grass, Water, Headbutt etc.) of which Pokemon appear on which route. This large block of pointers is located between 0x39D454 and 0x39DBEA in Ruby. There are quite a few zeroes in this location so something was probably inserted here accidentally and overwrote stuff. You should be able to C+P this data from a clean Ruby ROM to remove the error notification and let your lists save themselves again.

Unfortunately if you do this then any new list pointers which are still usable will be deleted and the the actual new Pokemon lists will be lost somewhere in your ROM. For example: the Route 101 grass Pokemon list will still show your changes, but if you added a water list in Route 101 then its pointer will be deleted. Also, whatever you inserted and overwrote everything with will be deleted so that may cause problems somewhere.

Hopefully that was the culprit, but if not could you post a patch in the thread/ PM it to me so I can have a better look at it? :)

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 6th, 2012 (6:26 AM).
The Chibiest Absol ever :3

Nature: Naive
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
    I did some experimenting to replicate what you've been experiencing and it seems like you may have overwritten a number of pointers which point to the lists (Grass, Water, Headbutt etc.) of which Pokemon appear on which route. This large block of pointers is located between 0x39D454 and 0x39DBEA in Ruby. There are quite a few zeroes in this location so something was probably inserted here accidentally and overwrote stuff. You should be able to C+P this data from a clean Ruby ROM to remove the error notification and let your lists save themselves again.

Unfortunately if you do this then any new list pointers which are still usable will be deleted and the the actual new Pokemon lists will be lost somewhere in your ROM. For example: the Route 101 grass Pokemon list will still show your changes, but if you added a water list in Route 101 then its pointer will be deleted. Also, whatever you inserted and overwrote everything with will be deleted so that may cause problems somewhere.

Hopefully that was the culprit, but if not could you post a patch in the thread/ PM it to me so I can have a better look at it?
    Well I'll try that but first how do I change the pointers back? I never even knew about pointers till I used Advanced trainer (which is also giving me problems). I didn't think I changed anything because I was only moving the Pokemon around. Do I need another program to change the HEX or something, or did I just overlook something that's in Advanced Map? *facewall* Sorry for all the questions. To be honest, I'm kind of a newb at this. x-x;;;

Bliss is love
    Yin and Yang
    Yang and Yin

We are one in the same...

Heart and Soul
    Soul and Heart
    You and me
    Me and you

Let our lives be more than this game...

~Hyper Chibi Absol

Hyper Chibi Absol x TheUmbreonMaster
    Old December 8th, 2012 (12:42 AM).
    Always Remember Forever&After

Nature: Calm
      I hope someone can answer this
      Does anyone know how to change the size of an overworld? Like if an overworld is 16x32 how do you change the size?

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
      Old December 8th, 2012 (1:40 AM).
      Memento Mori
      • Gold Tier

Quote:
      Originally Posted by PokemonMasters View Post
      I hope someone can answer this
      Does anyone know how to change the size of an overworld? Like if an overworld is 16x32 how do you change the size?
      With Paint. You either change the size or re-draw it.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
      Old December 8th, 2012 (1:45 AM).
      Always Remember Forever&After

No, I mean when you insert it. Like the sprite is 16x32 and I want to make it 32x32.

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
        Old December 8th, 2012 (1:57 AM).
        Memento Mori
        • Gold Tier

Quote:
        No, I mean when you insert it. Like the sprite is 16x32 and I want to make it 32x32.
        You need to resize the size by repointing some data (there are tutorial for it) or I believe NSE has this feature, I believe.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
        Old December 8th, 2012 (2:02 AM).

Quote:

Quote:
          Hi everyone,

I've a question: how can i change the rivals name in my hack? I want when i use \h06 in my script the new name appear instead of old.

I do this with thingy, and it works. The problem is i can't change the numer of letters of names...since i'm using Ruby, the female name is only 3 letters long!

thanks a lot
          Quote:
          \h06? That's wrong it should be \v\h06... Instead of using that you should just input the name that you want. So instead of \v\h06 you can just put Gary in the script so it will look like a new name for the Rival.
          I'm hacking Ruby. The name of rival change depending of gender of player...if i play with a boy, the rival name is MAY, otherwise is BRENDAN. Any one have another idea?

After, another important question: i'm using PKSV for scripting. How can i insert special char like * or arrows (arrows are useful in signpost for example)

Thanks a lot
          Anyone can help me? .
          Old December 8th, 2012 (12:23 PM).
          What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
            Quote:
            There is a program called Overworld Changer, it works fairly well and will allow you to change the size of any overworld frame by frame.

There is a tread with complete instructions on resizing and inserting overworlds started by destinedjagold. I don't have 15 posts yet so a direct link isn't allowed however it was the first result on Google for "overworld changer".
            Old December 8th, 2012 (8:39 PM).
            五代目水影
            • Silver Tier

Nature: Naughty
            Does anyone know how to fix this:
            Old December 8th, 2012 (8:50 PM).
            Heiki Hecchara‌‌
            • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Hyper Chibi Absol View Post
            Well I'll try that but first how do I change the pointers back? I never even knew about pointers till I used Advanced trainer (which is also giving me problems). I didn't think I changed anything because I was only moving the Pokemon around. Do I need another program to change the HEX or something, or did I just overlook something that's in Advanced Map? *facewall* Sorry for all the questions. To be honest, I'm kind of a newb at this. x-x;;;
            There are lots of HEX editing programs out on the internet, like HEX Workshop, HxD or Cygnus. If its this over your head I think it would be best to just PM me an .ips file of your hack so I can see what's happenning and hopefully get it straightened out :P

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Pinkish Purple View Post
            Does anyone know how to fix this:
            It seems like you've set your border on that map to be the first tile in the regular FR tileset. While it may look black in A-Map due to the palette that it is using, the tile is actually completely transparent. Just change the border to some other configuration of tiles and it should look okay.
            Old December 8th, 2012 (10:10 PM).

How do you properly add one-time "Pokeball event" items to a custom map in FireRed? Once I leave the map, the item I had previously picked up always respawns. I wrote the code exactly like the working ones in the base game, minus the numbers, of course. I can add working trainers, npcs, and hidden items to them, but not the standard visible items..
              Old December 8th, 2012 (10:33 PM).
              Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Cinnamohn View Post
                How do you properly add one-time "Pokeball event" items to a custom map in FireRed? Once I leave the map, the item I had previously picked up always respawns. I wrote the code exactly like the working ones in the base game, minus the numbers, of course. I can add working trainers, npcs, and hidden items to them, but not the standard visible items..
                You need to set a flag after you pick up the item. There are many tutorials on how to use flags in the tutorials section.
                Old December 9th, 2012 (1:59 AM).

Firered: The map connections all appear fine (through the previews) in Advance map, but when I load the rom up in VBA, the connections only work in one direction, and then the player gets stuck, hitting an invisible wall. (movement permissions appear correct as well)

Old December 9th, 2012 (9:19 AM).

Nature: Lax
                    Quick help: I need an easy fix for this.

In your own Steven-y way.
                    Old December 9th, 2012 (9:45 AM).
                    I liek Mudkipz

Nature: Relaxed
                      Alright, I've got a serious question. I'm working on a ROM, and I've changed the Professor Oak sprite at the beginning. The problem is, the sprite uses the background instead of the real sprite palette. How do I fix this? It's also happening to the female sprite. Please help.
                      Old December 9th, 2012 (2:47 PM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by TaichiWind View Post
                        Quick help: I need an easy fix for this.

I don't have any advice on how to fix this, but did you make any modifications to that? If so, what? I'm sure that would be helpful for solving the problem - for someone who knows how.

Old December 10th, 2012 (7:23 AM).

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
                          Hi everyone,

I've a question: how can i change the rivals name in my hack? I want when i use \h06 in my script the new name appear instead of old.

I do this with thingy, and it works. The problem is i can't change the numer of letters of names...since i'm using Ruby, the female name is only 3 letters long!

thanks a lot
                          Quote:
                          \h06? That's wrong it should be \v\h06... Instead of using that you should just input the name that you want. So instead of \v\h06 you can just put Gary in the script so it will look like a new name for the Rival.
                          I'm hacking Ruby. The name of rival change depending of gender of player...if i play with a boy, the rival name is MAY, otherwise is BRENDAN. Any one have another idea?

After, another important question: i'm using PKSV for scripting. How can i insert special char like * or arrows (arrows are useful in signpost for example)

Thanks a lot
                          Anyone can help me? .
                          Really anyone had to do this?
                          Old December 10th, 2012 (9:28 AM).

Nature: Lax
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Dullstar View Post
                            I don't have any advice on how to fix this, but did you make any modifications to that? If so, what? I'm sure that would be helpful for solving the problem - for someone who knows how.
                            At that time, mostly edits to the title screen. I mean, at all. All the ROM had changed at the time was the title screen and Groudon was replaced by Heatran.

In your own Steven-y way.
                            Old December 11th, 2012 (7:41 AM).
                            • Crystal Tier

This problem is really pissing me off and I can't find a solution for it.

Okay, so I have two interior maps. One is a Pokémon Center, the other is just an ordinary interior house. The interior house shares the map footer of other interior maps, and both the Pokémon Center, interior house, and other maps that share the interior map's footer, look fine in Advance Map. However, when I go in-game, either the Pokémon Center appears to be the interior house with the same movement permissions as the interior house but the correct events of the Pokémon Center. So I followed diegoisawesome's tutorial, here, and it appeared to have fixed the Pokémon Center, and it had.

Except now the interior house appears to be the Pokémon Center and has the same movement permissions but with the interior house's correct events.

I keep repointing the footer, trying to reinsert the map anew, and each time they are still linked. If it helps, the Pokémon Center's map is (6.1) and the interior house I have trouble with is (6.7). I am genuinely puzzled, I've tried tweaking like every byte in both of the maps' footers AND headers, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                            Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                            Old December 12th, 2012 (7:54 PM). Edited December 12th, 2012 by xxcandyvioletxx.
                            Pink eevee <3

Nature: Docile
                              Hi all,
                              For anyone who uses or knows a lot about Advance Map Editor for Fire Red, I really need help...
                              I was changing around tiles in the house that connects Route 2 to Viridian forest, and something went wrong.
                              First of all, for some reason in the left panel where it displays the maps, under Route 2 it replaced all of the maps with the house map that connects it. They are all the same now, and I can't find out how to fix it so that the other maps will show up again.

The second problem is, I can't get out of the house, because I saved the game on accident where the house is, and now my player is stuck, because for some reason, even after changing the movements to C where they should be, my player still can't get out of either door in the house.

Would there happen to be any way to restore all of Route 2 to it's default settings? I tried searching on google but I couldn't find any help for it.

Thanks.
                              Old December 12th, 2012 (8:24 PM).

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by xxcandyvioletxx View Post
                                Hi all,
                                For anyone who uses or knows a lot about Advance Map Editor for Fire Red, I really need help...
                                I was changing around tiles in the house that connects Route 2 to Viridian forest, and something went wrong.
                                First of all, for some reason in the left panel where it displays the maps, under Route 2 it replaced all of the maps with the house map that connects it. They are all the same now, and I can't find out how to fix it so that the other maps will show up again.

The second problem is, I can't get out of the house, because I saved the game on accident where the house is, and now my player is stuck, because for some reason, even after changing the movements to C where they should be, my player still can't get out of either door in the house.

Would there happen to be any way to restore all of Route 2 to it's default settings? I tried searching on google but I couldn't find any help for it.

Thanks.
                                The best thing you can do is go to an earlier version of the game before you saved those changes.

Old December 12th, 2012 (8:43 PM).
                                Pink eevee <3

How do I start a new game then? I only have one saved file that I have continued to load from.
                                  Old December 12th, 2012 (8:59 PM).

Quote:
                                    How do I start a new game then? I only have one saved file that I have continued to load from.
                                    Well you could delete your sav file or you might have to re-download the entire game again.

Old December 12th, 2012 (9:01 PM). Edited December 12th, 2012 by xxcandyvioletxx.
                                    Pink eevee <3

How do I delete the save file?

I don't have any other save files loaded except for the most recent one, so I'm not sure how to start a new game. Also, the problem lies with Advance map editor, not with the ROM itself. It was fine until something went wrong when I edited the maps for route 2.
                                      Old December 12th, 2012 (9:16 PM).

Quote:
                                        How do I delete the save file?
                                        Whenever you save your game it creates a file with the extension called .SAV
                                        Just right click on that file and delete it or drag it to your recycling bin.

Quote:
                                        I don't have any other save files loaded except for the most recent one, so I'm not sure how to start a new game. Also, the problem lies with Advance map editor, not with the ROM itself. It was fine until something went wrong when I edited the maps for route 2.
                                        If you delete the file with the .SAV extension it should let you restart the game but the advance map editor will likely still have the same issues because it's just reading the ROM program.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply