The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Off-Topic
Steam Box

Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

Old December 9th, 2012 (8:51 AM).
CoquettishCat
  • Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
So during the VGAs, Gabe Newell was interviewed and announced that Valve is working on a Steam Box, run with Linux and made to hook up to your TV. However, he plans it to be a controlled environment more like a console than a PC:

Quote:
"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.
Source: Kotaku

Thoughts? I have mixed feelings. I feel like this isn't made for people that are already PC gaming honestly, as those kinds of people tend to be picky about parts in their computer and what they're running and such and you get no say if you buy their Steam Box. Seems like PC gaming might start trying to advertise to the new console fans that have been pulled in the past few years though.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 9th, 2012 (9:06 AM).
Odin
  • Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
Mixed feelings as well, pretty decent idea, quite a few flaws. Though I think that "living room gaming" has already been occupied by the likes of the Playstation and Xbox. PC gamers chose to be PC gamers, if they wanted to have this kind of feature then surely you'd have bought a console. PC gamers, by now, would have had a nice setup, playing games and aren't complaining. Plus, I don't know too many people who use their living room as an area for your PC. I, personally, would never want nor need this because I'm perfectly fine with what I have now since I have both the Xbox and PC.

Old December 9th, 2012 (11:49 AM).
This Soul's A Stow-Away

Nature: Modest
    And thus, the mystery as to why Episode Three never came was solved.

To be honest, it's somewhat of a waste of time for them, but I'd still get it. My reason being that, because of my computer's current decaying, I'll need some solution for all the games I currently have. But the real problem lies within the thought of how this'll work. I mean, will all Steam games need to be reboght, redownloaded into the Box, or bought as retail versions?

For now, I think they've done a great job with the PC, and they shouldn't stop.
    Old December 9th, 2012 (12:38 PM).
    CoquettishCat
    • Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taro Tanaka View Post
    And thus, the mystery as to why Episode Three never came was solved.

To be honest, it's somewhat of a waste of time for them, but I'd still get it. My reason being that, because of my computer's current decaying, I'll need some solution for all the games I currently have. But the real problem lies within the thought of how this'll work. I mean, will all Steam games need to be reboght, redownloaded into the Box, or bought as retail versions?

For now, I think they've done a great job with the PC, and they shouldn't stop.
    Wait what? It would be the same as if you bought a new computer, you would just install them onto the box same as a computer. o_O
    Old December 9th, 2012 (5:31 PM).
    Electric
    • Platinum Tier

To be honest this all feels like an under-developed idea, mentioned early to test reactions, and see if it'd make money. They've been gearing Steam nearer to consoles, and controllers as much as possible lately. I don't like the idea of it just being a controlled PC, I'd rather see them release some hardware based on Cloud & Wi-Fi for living room space, which connects to your PC through a network, than bring out what is just going to be a glorified console.
    Quick Reply

Sponsored Links