• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Cartoon Network.....Has it fallen into a pit?

Sir Codin

A lot of the new stuff on CN just bugs me for some reason. Pokemon seems to be its only saving grace and I only watch that when I'm bored nowadays.

I miss the classics of the 90's. For me, the channel hasn't been good since the mid-2000's at the latest.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
A lot of the new stuff on CN just bugs me for some reason. Pokemon seems to be its only saving grace and I only watch that when I'm bored nowadays.
I don't know about that. Shows like Young Justice, Green Lantern, and Adventure Time all have some very tight writing and range from action to comedy. And in the case of Young Justice, it's a serialized story, something you rarely see in American cartoons. Which probably explains why its ratings aren't the best at times.

Even though the anime is notoriously bad?
The Black and White saga of the anime is actually pretty good. It'll probably never win any awards, but it's a much more solid show than the anime has seen in years.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
^^^To be honest I forgot that was still there.

But they're on the ROAD TO FAILURE regardless.

I'm enjoying watching them squirm.

When they die... I'll just be able to say 'I told you so'

Then clearly you haven't watched Adventure Time, Regular Show, Ninjago, Dragons, Star Wars the Clone Wars, Young Justice, and Green Lantern.

The Black and White saga of the anime is actually pretty good. It'll probably never win any awards, but it's a much more solid show than the anime has seen in years.

Funny you should say that, because a lot of fans criticized Ash's sudden reset to his former self from the first season (constantly making mistakes in battles than he did in previous sagas). And don't get me started on Iris.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Both AzaleaLightning and Pinkie-Dawn have it nailed. That's really all there is to it. However, as an animation enthusiast, I have to agree with Spinosaurus, too.

I'm not going to bother restating anything they said, I just want to reemphasize that you should read what they said. As for my own personal input, as long as CN has Regular Show, it's no where near a pit. And it's certainly not in a financial pit either with the likes of AT.

Also, as with AzaleaLightning, I like The Looney Tunes Show as well. It grew on me. I thought Daffy was incredibly annoying, and yet now I can't get enough of his characterization. And this is coming from someone who really thinks the Golden Age Looney Tunes were the top of the line. I just don't think I'm enough of a hardcore, invested fan of anything to feel bitterly about anything... except the Kirby series.

I feel like a lot of people within my generation like to rose-tint the heck out of everything. Whole Tumblr blogs are based on this. And yet, all that's happening is that people are just stating "the good ol' days" like every other generation above us. Face it, we're all getting older.

The only thing that's objectively bad compared to what it was is The Simpsons. People still like it, but that doesn't mean it's quality matches the level of greatness that inspired the earlier years (unlike The Looney Tunes Show, The Simpsons of today is conceptually the same show as it was in the 90's. It is not a reboot, remake, alternate universe, or anything).

One other thing I'll agree with, someone mentioned how shows became less violent and started to glorify stupidity. Oh God yes. The mid aughts was such a rough time for cartoons everywhere. Everybody was shouting all of their lines, the idea of "one sane man" was take to the extreme in that even background characters acted as if they had a frontal lobotomy, and LOL RANDOM humor was in vogue. What an embarassing time for me to have lived through, especially as an up and coming animator.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
It's become less of a channel for kids and more of a channel for 15-year old hipsters, as evidenced by the new tripe such as Regular Show and Adventure Time.

Years
I like watching the reruns of Loony Rooms, Tom & Jerry, and What's New Scooby Doo?, I also like watching The Amazing World of Gumball, Adventure Time, and the Loony Toons Show. The rest of the shows I can't stand.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
It's become less of a channel for kids and more of a channel for 15-year old hipsters, as evidenced by the new tripe such as Regular Show and Adventure Time.

???????
Although your sentiments could somewhat be applied to Regular Show (though I doubt hipster is the right word to describe any show on Cartoon Network), I cannot see in any way how Adventure Show is a show for hipsters. As for the age, Regular Show is for anyone who watches it, though people of an older age are definitely going to get more from it than the kids, who just think that Mordecai and Rigby are Cool Guys and there are Even Cooler Motorcycles And Stuff or whatever. Adventure Time... that's aimed more for kids, though people of an older age (example: Toujours and Mr Cat Dog) tend to enjoy it too.

In regards to the rest of the programming, '15 year old hipsters' is probably the worst way to describe the demographic Cartoon Network is aiming to please.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
I liked the old cartoons around that time, especially Codename: KND and Ed, Edd n Eddy. But ever since they pulled the plug off those shows, CN hasn't been much of an interest to me. I'm only 21 but I still watch Ed, Edd n Eddy, especially the true series finale, which was the TV movie, Ed Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show. I have them on a DVD so the shows of today hasn't really took my attention. I would like to see that Dragons series though, because it takes off after the events of the film.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
I don't know about others but I enjoyed Cartoon Network when I was 14, I stopped watching around the time they minimized the logo. I figure most people say "x sucks now" after watching something they love change, but since you're saying it at age 14 you may be onto something :x I don't really keep track of CN anymore, so I don't have a whole lot to contribute. I do know Ben 10 is on Boomerang now...which is just weird.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
^ Because Ben 10 is now considered a classic show in the past... but I think it's because of the year Ben 10 first aired. I saw many shows that was on CN several years ago that is now on Boomerang, such as the first season of Pokemon, I think I also saw Samurai Jack on Boomerang too but don't know if that show's been pulled...

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
Yeah, I noticed Johnny Bravo and The Powerpuff Girls made their way to Boomerang. They deserve a spot there, though. Samurai Jack, too, it's quite an underrated show. Ben10 caught me off guard, though; I'm guessing it's the youngest show to air on Boomerang. But what do I know

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
Well, I've been watching Cartoon Network for a LONG TIME and it has most definitely became less and less enjoyable to watch. I'll not drag on about all the shows I watched though..a lot of them moved to Boomerang anyway.

Currently..

I like Ben 10 (not the original Ben 10 though, when he's a teen) and Adventure Time. I admit not all A.T. are good though, a lot of the older episodes make me groan. The introduction of the Flame Princess rekindled my interest in the show though. As for Adult Swim/Toonami they need to add CURRENT anime from at least 2005 and on!

Frankly I cannot stand most of the new line up. With all the hype for Toonami I expected a refreshing new line up but no, we get old 90s and early 2000s anime? Inuyasha for one has been going on far far too long in my opinion. CN needs to get with the program already. There is plenty of great anime out there they could air. >_<

Matty Mayhem

Matty :3
Years
Honestly, I think that Regular Show is hilarious. For one, it's completely random which adds to the laugh factor. Two, it has talking animals in it... and what isn't there to love about a talking raccoon?

Back