• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Gen V: More Controversial Than Gen III

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Ever since the announcement of Pokemon Black/White, there's been a lot of controversy within the franchise's community regarding the fifth generation:

- The fact that it's not a 3DS title
- The titles have gone back to colors rather than metal/gems
- The main trainers are older than 10
- A female professor
- Pokemon evolving later than usual
- The Dream World
- The starters' performance in battle
- Garbador line
- Vanilluxe line
- The Kami trio being recolors
- BW's story
- N in general
- Unova's linearity, which has been explained by the developers
- Unlimited TM use
- HMs aren't constantly used often in the story
- Healers in caves
- You don't face the champion after beating the Elite 4 until post-story
- Removal of the Battle Frontier
- No VS Seeker
- Sequels instead of an anticipated third version
- The fact that said sequels aren't on the 3DS
- The Dream Radar
- The Kami Trio getting new formes to make them look different
- Cheren as a Gym Leader, ruining Blue's uniqueness
- Kyurem can't be caught until post-story
- Iris as champion
- The difficulty setting
- The Pokemon World Tournament

I haven't seen this much hate on a certain gen since the Ruby/Sapphire days. Could Gen V perhaps be the most polarized gen in the whole series?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Probably because they have added YET another set of Pokemon and people find it too much.

But also, most people that seems to complain about Black & White, are also the people who didn't even try the game, and stay on the Gen I games saying the rest are crap.

I haven't yet tried BW2 but I did get Pokemon White a few days ago, and even though I didn't play it that much yet, I gotta say that I'm loving really loving the game as to now.

And that's saying something, because me too, I used to bash on the Gen V serie.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
RSE was a step in the right direction, compared to GSC....

Oh, add to the list: No Safari Zone, No poisoning outside of battle. I think the dream world is a ridiculous thing

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
I don't like B/W for three simple reasons:
1. It pretends to be new when it's just rehashing old ideas.
2. It trying to be like other RPGs, and not even like the good RPGs.
3. It doesn't try to be challenging.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
1. It pretends to be new when it's just rehashing old ideas.

It was never meant to be new to begin with; it was trying to be more like the first generation with all the mechanics introduced from the later gens.

2. It trying to be like other RPGs, and not even like the good RPGs.

I don't understand this reason. :/

3. It doesn't try to be challenging.

Pokemon was never meant to be challenging; that's why players make up their own challenges such as the Nuzlocke Challenge. The supposed in-game challenges you've went through was due to errors developers made during the making of these games such as Psychic types being Game Breakers.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I think that this is the best Gen so far. I like the unlimited Tm uses. I dont see why it matters if a professor is male or female. I also know that you have to keep up with the times staying behind does you no good. I am liking the DW. I like that you can play B/W longer term for other things other then catching pokemon. ie Gens 1 and G+S 2.

Years
To be honest, 5th Generation has to be the best ever cos it changed loads of things in Pokemon and did a lot of twists and turns at us.

I enjoyed Black and White so much and they became my favorite games, and I'm getting Black 2 and White 2 soon which hopefully might be just as awesome for me.

I really enjoyed the changes 5th Generation brought us, which is why I don't get all the hate behind it.

Unlimited TM uses really helped me get better movesets on my Pokemon, and it was something I wanted.

Also, B2/W2 introduced the Repel reminder, which comes up when you run out of a Repel and want to use another. Saves time looking through the bag.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Honestly when Gen V was announced I was anticipating it to get the hate that it has. The amount of negativity Black and White were getting prior to their release was quite unexpected, and now that I think of it. I really like them though, despite some of the new Pokemon evolution lines being rather disappointing (mainly the two in the OP.) I actually liked the story, even though it might had been a little overdone by the end.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
I can't tell how much of your list is legit but I'll separate it and answer it accordingly.

Spoiler:

tl;dr whiners gonna whine.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
I'm not seeing out of most points you made that dubs this generation in more or less controversial. Too me it just seems nitpicking cause you dislike certain aspects. I feel every game has aspects that a person dislikes, but that doesn't make it controversial.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
It all boils down to one's perception of the generations. I for one hear a lot of people giving DPPt a lot of crap because of all the pointless evolutions. So comparing BW to RSE might not exactly be accurate.

But yeah there's a lot of changes. I don't consider them all exactly controversial exactly, then every generation would have its controversies.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I'm not seeing out of most points you made that dubs this generation in more or less controversial. Too me it just seems nitpicking cause you dislike certain aspects. I feel every game has aspects that a person dislikes, but that doesn't make it controversial.

I never said I dislike Gen V; I've just listed out the points people make to dislike them that makes it controversial.

I for one hear a lot of people giving DPPt a lot of crap because of all the pointless evolutions.

But those evolutions were a necessity to keep them from being obselete/outclassed by other Pokemon. Some even got a huge benefit from these evolutions (i.e. Roselia, Electibuzz, and Poliswine).

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
- Sequels instead of an anticipated third version
When I think of a possible third version of Gen V Game, I wonder what would Game Freak do with Black City and White Forest since they're different, yet located on the same spot. So IMO it's the good thing we get the sequels, although now Black City and White Forest looks similar (of feature) in the sequels.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
Ironically, if Gen III remakes were introduced into Gen V, it would most likely negate the hate for Generation V going by the amount of demand for RS remakes. IMO I think B2W2 are the best games to date and BW don't fall too far behind.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
It was never meant to be new to begin with; it was trying to be more like the first generation with all the mechanics introduced from the later gens.
That's the problem. It should have meant to be new to begin with. Ever since lg/fr all we have been getting is games that are trying to be like the old games but with new mechanics. Why do we another one attempting to do this?

I don't understand this reason. :/
Okay, um, it's trying to be like other RPGs instead of it's own story. It started during R/S/E where it started to be more about saving the world from a very powerful being. Now, there is was trying to copy other good RPGs. In B/W it tries to copy bad RPGs by adding in unnecessary drama, poorly done plots, odd locations, etc. There are so many things that they are clearly just taking elements from other RPGs and it doesn't work in this series.

Pokemon was never meant to be challenging; that's why players make up their own challenges such as the Nuzlocke Challenge. The supposed in-game challenges you've went through was due to errors developers made during the making of these games such as Psychic types being Game Breakers.
Battles aren't challenges? Gyms aren't challenges? Problem solving isn't a challenge?
Of course Pokemon was meant to be challenging! If it wasn't it'd be a game where all you have to do to win is walk forward. I have no idea what you're talking about.
Now granted, I'm not saying B/W is as easy as just walking forward but it's not as challenging. The map in linear, grinding is easier, catching Pokemon is easier, everything is easier for the casual player. The only things that are actually challenging in the games are only challenging because they made them needlessly complicated.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
That's the problem. It should have meant to be new to begin with. Ever since lg/fr all we have been getting is games that are trying to be like the old games but with new mechanics. Why do we another one attempting to do this?

Okay, um, it's trying to be like other RPGs instead of it's own story. It started during R/S/E where it started to be more about saving the world from a very powerful being. Now, there is was trying to copy other good RPGs. In B/W it tries to copy bad RPGs by adding in unnecessary drama, poorly done plots, odd locations, etc. There are so many things that they are clearly just taking elements from other RPGs and it doesn't work in this series.

Now you're contradicting yourself. You want Gen V to be less like Gen I in terms of in-game features yet you want Gen V's story to be more like Gen I? Wasn't Gen I's story originally going to be about a trainer saving the world from a villain?

Battles aren't challenges? Gyms aren't challenges? Problem solving isn't a challenge?
Of course Pokemon was meant to be challenging! If it wasn't it'd be a game where all you have to do to win is walk forward. I have no idea what you're talking about.
Now granted, I'm not saying B/W is as easy as just walking forward but it's not as challenging. The map in linear, grinding is easier, catching Pokemon is easier, everything is easier for the casual player. The only things that are actually challenging in the games are only challenging because they made them needlessly complicated.

The map is linear for reason, because kids had trouble getting to Snowpoint City. It's not like the grinding system was broken to begin with as the older system from previous titles were flawed too (being able to curbstomp everything with one Pokemon for example). You just answered your own question, Pokemon is suppose to be a casual player's beginner for the RPG genre before moving onto others like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade, but even then, it's still the best-selling RPG of all time due to having an element used in Western RPGs: Playing as yourself as a trainer rather playing as a character with his own personality and backstory, as found in JRPGs. People can choose to make the game challenging by making their own rules.

It's people like you, as well as the people from 4chan, the reason why I made this thread in the first place.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Only reason people say it is easy is because they are use to the games. You know the weaknesses, you know what to use and what not to use. These games are probably harder for new people, not people who have played forever. And to be honest, 5th Gen has by far been one of the harder games. These games are for young kids not older people. That is why it is easyer. Otherwise, it would have E10+ rateing.

There are some route that are easyer to get through than others, but some are a challenge. Grinding I am glad is easier so you don't have to no life getting pokemon up in level. They made that change because people were complaing.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
In order to fully convey the necessary point I must descend into slang - haters gon' hate.

Seriously, that's what it seems to come down to to me. There are just a number of people who were bound and determined (and a surprising number who still are) to hate this generation (or IV, or III, or II...), and that's just that. The reasons are secondary - most of the time, they don't even seem particularly well thought out, and a disconcerting amount of the time, the people expressing them haven't even played the games - they've just already decided they hate them because... whatever.

I say just let 'em be. If someone wants to waste their time and energy hating games that they haven't even played for reasons that don't seem to make any sense anyway, that's their right, and their problem. It makes no difference to me, or to my enjoyment of the games, just as it made no difference in Gen IV or Gen III, and won't make any difference in Gen VI, when there will be another whole raft of people who hate the games because... whatever.

Only reason people say it is easy is because they are use to the games. You know the weaknesses, you know what to use and what not to use. These games are probably harder for new people, not people who have played forever.
The "too easy" bit especially amuses me. I have to wonder how many of the people (at least the ones who have actually played the games) who complain that they're too easy are going through with a team made up of past generation starters and level 100 legendaries. So yeah - of course it's "too easy," but that's because they 're using uber pokemon. If they don't want it to be so easy, they should park the level 100 Rayquaza in the PC and try a level 30 Axew. Or better yet, a level 10 Purrloin. I guarantee it'll get a whole lot more difficult in a hurry.

Last edited:
Back