ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old December 19th, 2012 (4:52 AM).
I liek Mudkipz

Nature: Relaxed
    Ok, I've been repeatedly trying to insert this sprite

Using Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor. Everything goes well when I insert it, it's just when I try to fix the palette's, it crashes. No errors, just closes out the program. It does this with Kapurimon as well. Any ideas on how to make it stop?

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 19th, 2012 (5:07 AM).
    Accept no Imitations!

Nature: Bold
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Noossab Blue View Post
      What is the easiest way to edit attack descriptions in fire red?
      Use Pokemon Game Editor or a hex editor or both.

Old December 19th, 2012 (12:18 PM).
      What happens if I push it?....

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Munsie View Post
        Soooo I'm brand new to ROM hacking, and having a little bit of trouble understanding how to add events and such. I'm messing around with LeafGreen (I hope this isn't a problem, I don't see many posts referencing it, but I assume it works the same as FireRed). I added a house on Route 1, and was going to include a warp to it's interior...

To test I could even make a working warp, I just wanted it to send you into Oak's Lab back in Pallet Town, so I set the Warp No to 0, Map Bank to 4, Map to 3. File->Save. Then I try to change which map I'm editing, and it keeps prompting me to save the map... I click yes, it just keeps me on Route 1, try to change again: Save? Yes. Back to route 1... I booted the ROM up to test and it most definitely hasn't saved...

Sorry if this is a bit ramble-ish, but I'd like to know why this isn't working, or how to actually save my new event? :x
        Did you get any type of error message at any point? If not, close Advance Map, (which I'm going to assume your using), open up your game and test it out. If it did indeed save, then it is probably just a small bug that probably won't happen again after you restart Advance Map. If it didn't save, still, just try it again. Also, what version of A-map are you using? The newest one (1.95) was a beta and has a few bugs. If there was a specific error message, its number and description would be appreciated.
        Old December 19th, 2012 (4:34 PM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Herpahermaderp View Post
          Ok, I've been repeatedly trying to insert this sprite

Using Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor. Everything goes well when I insert it, it's just when I try to fix the palette's, it crashes. No errors, just closes out the program. It does this with Kapurimon as well. Any ideas on how to make it stop?
          I'm not sure if this is the issue or not but it seems to work better when you insert each one at a time instead of 2 at a time. Either that or you insert all 4 in a single picture. Are you sure that it's sized properly too?

Old December 19th, 2012 (7:21 PM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
            Did you get any type of error message at any point? If not, close Advance Map, (which I'm going to assume your using), open up your game and test it out. If it did indeed save, then it is probably just a small bug that probably won't happen again after you restart Advance Map. If it didn't save, still, just try it again. Also, what version of A-map are you using? The newest one (1.95) was a beta and has a few bugs. If there was a specific error message, its number and description would be appreciated.
            Ty for the reply.

No errors, just won't save for me. I tested in-game and my changes weren't there.

I ended up running 1.92 (via GBA Pokemon Game Editor (super nifty collection of tools, I might add)) and I haven't had any issues adding/removing/changing scripts/warps/events and such. Guess I'll just have to juggle back and forth between versions depending on what I want to do.

Now to dive into the nitty-gritty of scripting, hoorah. :D
            Old December 19th, 2012 (8:23 PM). Edited December 19th, 2012 by Eveveelution.

I am currently working on my first rom hack, and while testing it i found some bugs that I did not know how to repair. (I'm hacking fire red btw)

1) I had set Route 1's pokemon to what i wanted them to be. But at some point when I changed it it gave me some kind of error thing. It went away so I thought nothing of it. But when I went to test what i had done so far the only pokemon there was a Sunflora, randing from level 0 to 100. When i go into advanced map the pokemon i want there are still set there. (the pokemon i wanted there had been there before when i went to go test in game.

Then there is the worse one.
              In my version of Viridian city I deleted the man with the PokeTV because anyone that was going to play my ROM would probably already know what to do. But now when I try to leave the city from the north towards the forest, the game freezes and in the backround I can see a sprite pop up that was not there before, and i cant find him on A-Map. I can leave the city from the west without any problems though.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

I am currently working on my first rom hack, and while testing it i found some bugs that I did not know how to repair. (I'm hacking fire red btw)

1) I had set Route 1's pokemon to what i wanted them to be. But at some point when I changed it it gave me some kind of error thing. It went away so I thought nothing of it. But when I went to test what i had done so far the only pokemon there was a Sunflora, ranging from level 0 to 100. When i go into advanced map the pokemon i want there are still set there. (the pokemon i wanted there had been there before when i went to go test in game.

Then there is the worse one.
              In my version of Viridian city I deleted the man with the PokeTV because anyone that was going to play my ROM would probably already know what to do. But now when I try to leave the city from the north towards the forest, the game freezes, I can see a sprite pop up that was not there before that is behind me, and i cant find him on A-Map. I can leave the city from the west without any problems though.
              Old December 20th, 2012 (11:04 AM).
              Scrambled Egg

Nature: Quirky
                Hi! Me and a friend (fireguy135) are working on a new rom hack (our first official one, but we've had a bit of experience poking around with tools and stuff), and we were wondering, is there any way to delete a map in advancemap without it adding new blank banks and just moving it around? everytime we try to delete a map we end up with extra banks and we don't know what went wrong... any help would be appreciated, thanks! and we're hacking emerald and using advancemap 1.90.
                Old December 20th, 2012 (12:38 PM).

How to expand Fire Red Pokedex to 209 Pokemons?
                  Old December 20th, 2012 (4:59 PM).
                  WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE
                  • Silver Tier

Nature: Sassy
                  Ok I'd didn't have time to go through 900 pages of this so I don't know if my question has been answered.
                  When I edit most maps with advanced map in pokemon ruby it will mess up my game by making it start up with a white screen. I've tried thee hole 128k save file thing and it didn't work. I won't even edit the script and it gets screwed up. All I will do is change the size (sometimes), or add people or just change the ground. On routes an that kind of thing I have no problem with but if I change let's say little root town it screws up. I usually try to put in my own maps and just use that but I can't add the chose pokemon script or the poked script or any other specials without it getting messed up. I would love some help on figuring out why.
                  Thx in advance!!!!

My Rom hacks
                  A New Dawn---Gentlemon
                  Not in Production:
                  Blackened Night---Holiday Hacks
                  Old December 22nd, 2012 (3:50 AM).

Nature: Lax
                    What is the offset for the "come out of truck and your mom greets you" script in Pokemon Ruby?

In your own Steven-y way.
                    Old December 22nd, 2012 (8:31 AM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by TaichiWind View Post
                      What is the offset for the "come out of truck and your mom greets you" script in Pokemon Ruby?
                      The offset is at $14D5EF.
                      Old December 23rd, 2012 (2:03 PM).

Anyone know how to add a complete new tileset in Advance Map? I'm hacking Emerald and I want to add DP and Platinum tiles into it, but I don't want to damage or change any of the prexisting Emerald tiles. I've seen some people with whole new customs tilesets (with insanely large tileset numbers), but aren't that many tutorials out there. I did see LU-HO's tutorial, but it is closed and most of the links and pictures are broken. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :3
                        Old December 23rd, 2012 (3:42 PM).

Yeah..., it's been a while ever since I posted last...
                          >Though... Question...

How does one edit Abilities, (their effect in battle/name/description/etc.)?
                          Old December 23rd, 2012 (8:42 PM).
                          Divider of Zero

Can somebody please explain to me the basics of tables and how to create them?
                            Old December 23rd, 2012 (9:18 PM).
                            Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Teh Blazer View Post
                              Can somebody please explain to me the basics of tables and how to create them?
                              Locate the table, write down everything...
                              Old December 23rd, 2012 (9:22 PM).
                              Divider of Zero

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by itman View Post
                                Locate the table, write down everything...
                                I mean, what's the basic structure and how would I make one?
                                Old December 23rd, 2012 (9:25 PM).

Nature: Careful
                                  I've got a few questions. Fire Red.

Eevee. YAPE and Pokemon Editor included in the Pokemon Game Editor only allow for five evolutions max. Is there any way I can expand that to include Glaceon and Leafeon?
                                  Is there also any way for me to alter or add evolution methods? I don't mind hex editing, but I'd prefer not to.

Is there a max number of trainer sprites I can have? I'm using the JPAN's Hacked Engine, if it makes a difference. I know there's a bunch of overworlds possible, but I don't recall reading anything about sprites.

Is it possible to have tiles from a bunch of different tilesets in one map? Like the Celadon Department Story and Pewter's museum in one map?
                                  Old December 24th, 2012 (4:51 AM).
                                  hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!

Nature: Bashful
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Nara567 View Post
                                    I've got a few questions. Fire Red.

Eevee. YAPE and Pokemon Editor included in the Pokemon Game Editor only allow for five evolutions max. Is there any way I can expand that to include Glaceon and Leafeon?
                                    Is there also any way for me to alter or add evolution methods? I don't mind hex editing, but I'd prefer not to.

Is there a max number of trainer sprites I can have? I'm using the JPAN's Hacked Engine, if it makes a difference. I know there's a bunch of overworlds possible, but I don't recall reading anything about sprites.

Is it possible to have tiles from a bunch of different tilesets in one map? Like the Celadon Department Story and Pewter's museum in one map?
                                    I think most of your questions require either ASM or editing the game engine, especially the restriction removal of number of evolutions. Max number of trainer sprites I think can be increased if you repoint the sprite the trainer data uses for each trainer (not sure on that though)

As for your tileset data, unless you can fit all of those tiles into the same tileset, no unless you, again, edit the game engine or use ASM. My advice - get your favourite tiles from these and put them in as one tileset (but do not forget the pallette limitations that the GBA has as well in the games)

Temmie vibrates intensely.

awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

OMG!! humans TOO CUTE (dies)

can't blame a BARK for tryin'...

RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

Old December 24th, 2012 (1:31 PM).

Nature: Careful
                                      Ah, that's what I thought. Unfortunately, I have no experience with ASM. =/

I have some more questions, though. Fire Red, with JPAN's hacked engine.

Is there a way to store the player's party somewhere, temporarily change the OW and give a new party, and then when the OW is changed back, return the original party? As if you're "switching" players temporarily.

Is there a way to have a partner battle, like Steven's in Emerald, in Fire Red? I don't recall there being any partner battles last time I played through, but I figure if FRLG were just deposits of RSE, it's probably in there somewhere.
                                      Old December 24th, 2012 (2:46 PM).
                                      Always Remember Forever&After

Nature: Calm
                                        Can anyone please help me on inserting Battle Backgrounds?

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
                                        Old December 24th, 2012 (5:46 PM).

How do you change where the player starts?
                                          Old December 25th, 2012 (10:31 AM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by monster6286 View Post
                                            How do you change where the player starts?
                                            There are two programs I've come across, probably more I just haven't seen them, but there is Intro Editor by MewThree and Start Map Chooser Advance (SMCA) by HackMew. SMCA is far more in depth that Into Editor and is a much better option. Both are simple and easy to use.
                                            Old December 25th, 2012 (1:51 PM).
                                            Dialga Fangirl

Nature: Timid
                                              Hi folks, quick Q:

How do I go about changing the music that's played when you fight a Gym Leader/Elite 4? I want the normal Trainer Battle theme to play instead.
                                              Old December 25th, 2012 (6:45 PM).
                                              karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                                Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
                                                Hi folks, quick Q:

How do I go about changing the music that's played when you fight a Gym Leader/Elite 4? I want the normal Trainer Battle theme to play instead.
                                                Intro Music (I believe that is what you mean by battle theme) can be changed right in Advance Trainer. Just search for their names and change their theme number to whatever a regular trainer has. If I remember correctly, the Intro Music option is directly next to the sprite, or at least in that general area.
                                                Old December 25th, 2012 (7:39 PM).

Quote:
                                                  Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                                                  Intro Music (I believe that is what you mean by battle theme) can be changed right in Advance Trainer. Just search for their names and change their theme number to whatever a regular trainer has. If I remember correctly, the Intro Music option is directly next to the sprite, or at least in that general area.
                                                  I think the question wasn't how to change the intro music (which is quite clear) but how to change the music that plays during the battle :] This question was asked rather often but never actually answered :o And actually this is my question too and i searched the entire thread for an answer :< It was said once (about 100 pages before) that it is possible to change the music that is linked to a certain trainer class e.g. that the gym leader (battle) theme is played when you challenge a trainer of the class boss but i didn't find an answer to this :(

So here's my question: How can i change the music playing against a special class of trainers.

@FireFox: In the script helping thread and here:
                                                  sfc [dot] pokefans [dot] net / lesson [dot] php?id=13&lang=en (damn spam-filter i'm too new to post URLs or hyperlinks :< )
                                                  you can find a tutorial how to change the music that plays for a single battle :) As I'm planning to have a different battle music playing against the opposing team this would be too much :< but for your needs it seems to be enough :) Hope it helped :)
                                                  Closed Thread

Quick Reply