Entertainment & Media The PokeCommunity's red carpet: discuss topics, hot or otherwise, centered around music, films, TV, books, and sports!

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1276    
Old January 2nd, 2013 (1:01 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
Pinkie-Dawn Pinkie-Dawn is offline
Vampire Waifu
     
    Join Date: Dec 2012
    Location: California
    Age: 25
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Quirky
    Posts: 9,390
    While the Grimm Fairy Tales had their dark moments, they still retain their light-hearted atmosphere for children. I've also heard a lot of negative feedback about Snow White & the Huntsman on Youtube, and they even released an extended edition on DVD, which means it wasn't all that good as the producers hoped.
    __________________

    Relevant Advertising!

      #1277    
    Old January 2nd, 2013 (1:22 PM).
    droomph's Avatar
    droomph droomph is offline
    weeb
    • Crystal Tier
     
    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Location: nowhere spectacular
    Age: 20
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Impish
    Posts: 4,291
    Well, they do have some messed up stories to begin with.

    I remember our German teacher told us a Grimm Brother's tale, where the kid does something bad, and the other kid dies, the mom, who's giving a bath to another kid, goes to try to save the dying kid who's dead when she gets there, and then while she's gone the kid taking the bath has drowned, and then she goes to the neighbors for help or something, and when she comes back the original kid had a freak accident, and so out of shame she hangs herself.

    Not exactly PG I must say.
    __________________
    did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
    o i forgot 5
    uraqt


      #1278    
    Old January 2nd, 2013 (1:26 PM).
    Esper's Avatar
    Esper Esper is offline
    • Silver Tier
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: California
    Posts: 10,546
    The Grimm tales were a bit cleaned up from their originals which were, well, grimmer, but they were still kinda dark and gruesome.

    The problem with SW&tH was Kristen Stewart. Granted, the movie played to her strengths of not talking and looking pretty by giving her only a handful of lines and lots of scenes where she just looks at things, but I thought the rest of the movie was fine, and Charlize Theron did scary-evil really well.

    I think people were expecting an action movie when it was really more of a dark fantasy.
    __________________
      #1279    
    Old January 2nd, 2013 (2:22 PM).
    Mr Cat Dog's Avatar
    Mr Cat Dog Mr Cat Dog is offline
    Frasier says it best
       
      Join Date: Apr 2004
      Location: London, UK
      Age: 27
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 11,411
      Mirror Mirror > all of the other Snow White revisionist films of last year. Including the Spanish black-and-white one. But I think I'm in the minority in this opinion...
      __________________
        #1280    
      Old January 2nd, 2013 (7:08 PM).
      Toshiro.'s Avatar
      Toshiro. Toshiro. is offline
      • Silver Tier
       
      Join Date: Apr 2009
      Location: Johto
      Age: 24
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 4,814
      I admit that I wanted to see Snow White and the Huntsman, but Kristin Stewart kind of persuaded me otherwise. I mean, she doesn't really seem like she fits in with that type of film. Shes no Snow White.
        #1281    
      Old January 2nd, 2013 (8:15 PM).
      antemortem's Avatar
      antemortem antemortem is offline
      farewell, fated few
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Jan 2012
      Location: Texas
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Naughty
      Posts: 7,589
      Snow White & the Huntsman was a fantastic movie! Actors and actresses aside, it was a really nice film overall. The characters, the story, and the setting were all so marvelous you could probably put personal regards for the people playing the parts aside long enough to enjoy watching the movie. Even at that, Kirsten Stewart played her part wonderfully. It's definitely worth a go!

      As for a movie I want to see - Taken 2. I recently watched Taken on TV (TBS, if I recall) and it was much better than I thought it was going to be when it was released (what, two years ago?). At that time it didn't appeal to me whatsoever, as it was somewhat of an imitation of all the movies that were being released at that time anyway, but it was surprisingly very nice. Taken 2 should be better, so I'll pick it up sometime, hopefully. Anyone else seen it?

      EDIT: Mirror > Mirror... I haven't seen it. It's good, you think, Mr Cat Dog?
      __________________
      TURN ON THE BRIGHT LIGHTS
        #1282    
      Old January 2nd, 2013 (8:18 PM).
      Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
      Pinkie-Dawn Pinkie-Dawn is offline
      Vampire Waifu
         
        Join Date: Dec 2012
        Location: California
        Age: 25
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Quirky
        Posts: 9,390
        Not to mention her dull performance in the Twilight movies, which is understandable. I also thought Mirror, Mirror got panned by critics for its light-hearted appearance, which brings irony to how Snow White & the Huntsman got panned for messing with the Snow White formula.
        __________________
          #1283    
        Old January 2nd, 2013 (8:24 PM).
        antemortem's Avatar
        antemortem antemortem is offline
        farewell, fated few
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Jan 2012
        Location: Texas
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Naughty
        Posts: 7,589
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
        Not to mention her dull performance in the Twilight movies, which is understandable. I also thought Mirror, Mirror got panned by critics for its light-hearted appearance, which brings irony to how Snow White & the Huntsman got panned for messing with the Snow White formula.
        I'm not sure that Snow White really has a 'formula,' and a change of pace, even in a classic, is refreshing all the same. If the exact same story was told the exact same way with the exact same mood prevalent in all, what kind of profit would it really garner? I think the only thing formulaic that has been preserved (and very well should be) are the themes of true love overcoming all and evil always been trumped, the heart's desires, etc.
        __________________
        TURN ON THE BRIGHT LIGHTS
          #1284    
        Old January 2nd, 2013 (8:29 PM).
        Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
        Pinkie-Dawn Pinkie-Dawn is offline
        Vampire Waifu
           
          Join Date: Dec 2012
          Location: California
          Age: 25
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Quirky
          Posts: 9,390
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
          I'm not sure that Snow White really has a 'formula,' and a change of pace, even in a classic, is refreshing all the same. If the exact same story was told the exact same way with the exact same mood prevalent in all, what kind of profit would it really garner? I think the only thing formulaic that has been preserved (and very well should be) are the themes of true love overcoming all and evil always been trumped, the heart's desires, etc.
          Well I was referring to its light-hearted mood it gained in the later years in media entertainment since its original dark and gritty story.
          __________________
            #1285    
          Old January 3rd, 2013 (6:53 AM).
          Toshiro.'s Avatar
          Toshiro. Toshiro. is offline
          • Silver Tier
           
          Join Date: Apr 2009
          Location: Johto
          Age: 24
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 4,814
          Not sure why everyone wants to make a movie around Snow White nowadays xD
            #1286    
          Old January 3rd, 2013 (7:11 AM).
          antemortem's Avatar
          antemortem antemortem is offline
          farewell, fated few
          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: Jan 2012
          Location: Texas
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Naughty
          Posts: 7,589
          I think Huntsman was apart of the many fairy tale/classics remakes, much like Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters and... what was it, Jack the Giant Slayer? As for Mirror > Mirror...
          __________________
          TURN ON THE BRIGHT LIGHTS
            #1287    
          Old January 3rd, 2013 (7:30 AM).
          Toshiro.'s Avatar
          Toshiro. Toshiro. is offline
          • Silver Tier
           
          Join Date: Apr 2009
          Location: Johto
          Age: 24
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 4,814
          Oh man. Hansel and Gretel. That new movie looks awful.
            #1288    
          Old January 3rd, 2013 (8:46 AM).
          antemortem's Avatar
          antemortem antemortem is offline
          farewell, fated few
          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: Jan 2012
          Location: Texas
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Naughty
          Posts: 7,589
          It does, and I don't normally say outright that a movie looks 'awful,' but this looks awful. Sometimes I wonder about the future of film and if said future is as bleak as I imagine it is.
          __________________
          TURN ON THE BRIGHT LIGHTS
            #1289    
          Old January 3rd, 2013 (9:08 AM).
          Toshiro.'s Avatar
          Toshiro. Toshiro. is offline
          • Silver Tier
           
          Join Date: Apr 2009
          Location: Johto
          Age: 24
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 4,814
          Movies now tend to be remakes or horrible prequels/sequels, I feel like they are running out of ideas for new films which is a shame.
            #1290    
          Old January 3rd, 2013 (9:38 AM).
          Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
          Pinkie-Dawn Pinkie-Dawn is offline
          Vampire Waifu
             
            Join Date: Dec 2012
            Location: California
            Age: 25
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Quirky
            Posts: 9,390
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Toshiro. View Post
            Movies now tend to be remakes or horrible prequels/sequels, I feel like they are running out of ideas for new films which is a shame.
            Thank you for providing me an example of people demanding pure original blockbuster films and no more movies based on books/comics/TV shows/games/plays and remakes/sequels/reboots.
            __________________
              #1291    
            Old January 3rd, 2013 (6:03 PM).
            Her's Avatar
            Her Her is online now
            • Moderator
            • Platinum Tier
            • Discord Moderoid
             
            Join Date: Jun 2008
            Age: 23
            Gender: Female
            Posts: 10,393
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
            Thank you for providing me an example of people demanding pure original blockbuster films and no more movies based on books/comics/TV shows/games/plays and remakes/sequels/reboots.
            My dear girl, most films and certainly some of the best films of last year are adaptions of books, plays and comics. If Hollywood were to stop making movies based on books then they'd be lost!

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
            As for a movie I want to see - Taken 2. I recently watched Taken on TV (TBS, if I recall) and it was much better than I thought it was going to be when it was released (what, two years ago?).
            I'll spare you the effort and say that Taken 2 is not a movie you really want to see. It's almost a remake of the original Taken, the plot is so similar. Though that's not really my grievance with it, if it's not broken, then don't fix it, yes? My problem with it is that the performances by the cast left something...missing, it looked tired. Neeson actually looked more youthful as the film went on, don't ask me how, but yeah, the film was lacking. Save yourself the energy and watch Die Hard instead.
            __________________
              #1292    
            Old January 3rd, 2013 (6:34 PM).
            Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
            Pinkie-Dawn Pinkie-Dawn is offline
            Vampire Waifu
               
              Join Date: Dec 2012
              Location: California
              Age: 25
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Quirky
              Posts: 9,390
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
              My dear girl, most films and certainly some of the best films of last year are adaptions of books, plays and comics. If Hollywood were to stop making movies based on books then they'd be lost!
              I know right? But that doesn't stop these vocal audience to ask Hollywood to stop and make only pure original movies.
              __________________
                #1293    
              Old January 3rd, 2013 (7:53 PM).
              Her's Avatar
              Her Her is online now
              • Moderator
              • Platinum Tier
              • Discord Moderoid
               
              Join Date: Jun 2008
              Age: 23
              Gender: Female
              Posts: 10,393
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
              I know right? But that doesn't stop these vocal audience to ask Hollywood to stop and make only pure original movies.
              And dare I ask where you're going to find an executive or a film studio who will actually listen to these demands? Original films are risks, darling, they're always going to prefer films that are more likely to bring in the cash: movies based on books and plays and whatever.

              Besides, it all comes down to your definition of 'original'. Nothing is truly original in the 21st century.
              __________________
                #1294    
              Old January 3rd, 2013 (7:59 PM).
              antemortem's Avatar
              antemortem antemortem is offline
              farewell, fated few
              • Crystal Tier
               
              Join Date: Jan 2012
              Location: Texas
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Naughty
              Posts: 7,589
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
              I'll spare you the effort and say that Taken 2 is not a movie you really want to see. It's almost a remake of the original Taken, the plot is so similar. Though that's not really my grievance with it, if it's not broken, then don't fix it, yes? My problem with it is that the performances by the cast left something...missing, it looked tired. Neeson actually looked more youthful as the film went on, don't ask me how, but yeah, the film was lacking. Save yourself the energy and watch Die Hard instead.
              Well that's a disappointment.

              Speaking of Die Hard, I've been reading up on A Good Day to Die Hard, the newest installment in the series set to be released February 14th, and while it seems like it'll be a somewhat refreshing addition to the series, when was the last time there was not a terrorist plot or something similar set in Russia? Something inside me wishes that focus would be shifted to another part of the world, perhaps somewhere that isn't completely predictable. But I guess that would take effort. Nevertheless, I'm considering going to see it when it comes out.
              __________________
              TURN ON THE BRIGHT LIGHTS
                #1295    
              Old January 3rd, 2013 (8:17 PM).
              Her's Avatar
              Her Her is online now
              • Moderator
              • Platinum Tier
              • Discord Moderoid
               
              Join Date: Jun 2008
              Age: 23
              Gender: Female
              Posts: 10,393
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
              Speaking of Die Hard, I've been reading up on A Good Day to Die Hard, the newest installment in the series set to be released February 14th, and while it seems like it'll be a somewhat refreshing addition to the series, when was the last time there was not a terrorist plot or something similar set in Russia? Something inside me wishes that focus would be shifted to another part of the world, perhaps somewhere that isn't completely predictable. But I guess that would take effort. Nevertheless, I'm considering going to see it when it comes out.
              I'm totally going to see it when it comes out, if only because the Die Hard is a franchise which is very close to my heart. If not completely wrapped around my heart, that is.
              Well, think about it this way. Aside from the Russians, which other nationality of people is most frequently used by Hollywood as the baddies in action movies? Yah, ze Germans! The residents of Deutschland! The Germans have already been taken down in two other Die Hard films, so they can't possibly do them again. I would like to see him take on the Chinese, Mr McClane in the land of the dragons would certainly be an interesting experience.
              __________________
                #1296    
              Old January 4th, 2013 (11:06 AM).
              Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
              Pinkie-Dawn Pinkie-Dawn is offline
              Vampire Waifu
                 
                Join Date: Dec 2012
                Location: California
                Age: 25
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Quirky
                Posts: 9,390
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
                Besides, it all comes down to your definition of 'original'. Nothing is truly original in the 21st century.
                "Original" as in a movie that isn't based off of a book/comic/TV show/game/play nor a remake/reboot/sequel of an already-existing film. Examples of it are Star Wars, Inception, and A Nightmare on Elm Street.

                Quote:
                Well, think about it this way. Aside from the Russians, which other nationality of people is most frequently used by Hollywood as the baddies in action movies? Yah, ze Germans! The residents of Deutschland! The Germans have already been taken down in two other Die Hard films, so they can't possibly do them again. I would like to see him take on the Chinese, Mr McClane in the land of the dragons would certainly be an interesting experience.
                What about Britain and the Middle East? Americans have fought them in their history too, so wouldn't they be used as enemies for action films?
                __________________
                  #1297    
                Old January 4th, 2013 (11:37 AM).
                antemortem's Avatar
                antemortem antemortem is offline
                farewell, fated few
                • Crystal Tier
                 
                Join Date: Jan 2012
                Location: Texas
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Naughty
                Posts: 7,589
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
                What about Britain and the Middle East? Americans have fought them in their history too, so wouldn't they be used as enemies for action films?
                There are already a fair few examples of movies that exploit the British as enemies, such as The Patriot and Jumpin' Jack Flash. While there are also examples of movies with Chinese involvement, they are very few and far between, so another installment with such seems more appropriate in the long run.
                __________________
                TURN ON THE BRIGHT LIGHTS
                  #1298    
                Old January 4th, 2013 (3:23 PM).
                Cosmotone8 Cosmotone8 is offline
                silhouette of the past
                   
                  Join Date: Jan 2012
                  Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Careful
                  Posts: 1,787
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
                  "Original" as in a movie that isn't based off of a book/comic/TV show/game/play nor a remake/reboot/sequel of an already-existing film. Examples of it are Star Wars, Inception, and A Nightmare on Elm Street.
                  Technically they are actually rebooting the Star Wars series with another installment, so I guess its no longer original by that standard.
                  __________________
                  I'm a silhouette, asking every now and then
                  Is it over yet? Will I ever feel again?
                  I'm a silhouette, chasing rainbows on my own
                  But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
                  So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

                    #1299    
                  Old January 4th, 2013 (3:28 PM).
                  antemortem's Avatar
                  antemortem antemortem is offline
                  farewell, fated few
                  • Crystal Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Jan 2012
                  Location: Texas
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Naughty
                  Posts: 7,589
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Cosmotone8 View Post
                  Technically they are actually rebooting the Star Wars series with another installment, so I guess its no longer original by that standard.
                  It's being rebooted with another installment, not a remake. Even if it was being 'remade,' that remake would be dubbed unoriginal/not unique rather than the original six movies. So in essence even after the new movie is released the series will still be 'original.'
                  __________________
                  TURN ON THE BRIGHT LIGHTS
                    #1300    
                  Old January 4th, 2013 (3:43 PM).
                  Her's Avatar
                  Her Her is online now
                  • Moderator
                  • Platinum Tier
                  • Discord Moderoid
                   
                  Join Date: Jun 2008
                  Age: 23
                  Gender: Female
                  Posts: 10,393

                  I feel bad for George Lucas :( He looks so dead inside :(
                  __________________
                  Closed Thread

                  Quick Reply

                  Join the conversation!

                  Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                  Create a PokéCommunity Account

                  Sponsored Links
                  Thread Tools

                  Posting Rules
                  You may not post new threads
                  You may not post replies
                  You may not post attachments
                  You may not edit your posts

                  BB code is On
                  Smilies are On
                  [IMG] code is On
                  HTML code is Off

                  Forum Jump


                  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:17 PM.