• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Triple types?

dontstay96

Grass-man
Years
Well there has been a lot of speculations of a lot of things... so... why not triple types?? do you think it might be possible?? if Game Freak does it well it could be really cool!!!!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't think it'd happen this gen. There was a thread for this in PGC a while back, and there were some damn good reasons as to why this would be a hot mess to implement, so yeah. I think it'd make things unnecessarily confusing and complicated. Some people still get confused with dual types, so triple types eeeeh.

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
They would have to revamp many Pokemon from older generations and figure out weakness charts and all sorts of glorious fun stuff. It'd be a cool idea, but I think it might make things waay too complicated.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Not likely, although it's possible because of the way type matchups work.

However, a type change of old Pokémon would be necessary to balance things out, and the only Pokémon that ever changed type in the history of the franchise was Magnemite, and that was in 2nd gen when the Steel type was introduced.

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
Well, it is kind of cool, but it could lead to many cheap typings. And like others have said, this changes the previous 5 generations before it, as however many pokemon in gen 6 have an advantage with an extra type.

The only way I really see it possible, is by having a move that adds a certain type to a Pokemon, like maybe dark, but still. :/

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
PERHAPS, something like Hidden Types could be implemented. Similarly to Hidden Abilities, on rare occasions Pokemon can be caught with their 'Hidden Type'. These Pokemon could be only found in shaking patches of grass, water spots, Hidden Grottoes etc. However, such Pokemon wouldn't be triple typed, but rather dual-typed with their Hidden Type replacing their usual Secondary Type.

Just a thought!

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
My goodness, please Arceus no!

That sort of thing would really break the game. I mean, how many extra combinations REALLY add more depth? I think that the most weaknesses a type combo has is eight, the least is one. The most resistances is Bronzong, if I'm not mistaken, which I think is a whopping 12. Adding a third type may as well make types irrelevant. You'll end up with combinations that either cripple a Pokemon, banishing it to the neverused category permanently, or make absolutely no difference at all.

Not to mention, a Pokemon with THREE different STAB boosted moves? *shudder*

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I don't see it happening. It'd confuse the system beyond belief very easily. (And then why wouldn't previous gen Pokemon not become triple type themselves? If they did, it'd break the established canon of that Pokemon being so-and-so (fine in 2nd gen, less so as a sudden addition in 6th gen). If they didn't, either most of the 6th gen Pokemon are triple or hardly any are, making it seem an out-of-place gimmick). Plus Pokemon has always been primarily aimed at kids. Why muddle the system and make it harder to grasp for the target audience? 'Water beats Fire, Flying beats Grass, and Ghost against a Dark/Psychic/Ghost type is... uh...'

Plus, the type system is fine as it is. Allowing triple types could throw that out of whack, so there's risk with something that possibly won't offer much. As said above abilities can offer possibilities too without such problems.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Very bad for competitive players. It would ruin everything we've ever known. XD; I mean, could be awesome but it'd just destroy what competitive has. Better off if it never happens (or at least not this generation).

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
It's certainly possible, but it would render any Pokemon with a x8 weakness quite useless. Especially those weak to Rock. Stealth Rock would OHKO anything x8 weak to Rock. :/

If they want to make Pokemon of similar types more diverse, I think a better route would be a secondary ability type focused on damage reduction or pseudo-STAB based on the Pokemons design like the PokePowers/Body from the TCG. For example, an Ice-type could have ice thick/strong enough to remove its Rock/Fighting weakness.

But, to be honest, I'd be perfectly happy with no changes to typing.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Yeah, it would just take too long and be too big of a change. They'd have to go back and edit other Pokemon and it would make it soooooo annoying for competitive battling. Good idea on paper, not in reality.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Very bad for competitive players. It would ruin everything we've ever known. XD; I mean, could be awesome but it'd just destroy what competitive has. Better off if it never happens (or at least not this generation).

I agree with Nica. I don't want to have to start my Pokémon knowledge all over again. It'll be like being Ash's Pikachu entering a new region and getting weak.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I don't think this will ever happen unless the effectiveness system is completely revamped. There is no way triple types would work in the currently utilized system. It's already bad enough having to remember what Pokemon has what ability, general movepools, general base stats, and 1 to 2 types...add a third type to that, and watch the math go from easy x0, x.25, x.5, x1, x2, and x4, to numbers that I can't even think of right now. That's how bad it would get.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I think anything is possible, but I don't think that they'll do it. I also don't think it really makes much sense. The battling system is pretty solid, and introducing a Pokémon with three types just makes it much, much, much more complicated. How would that even work?

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Jan 30, 2017
No i think that will break the balance of pokemon if they introduced a pokemon with triple type

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
There are 17 types. That means there are 136 unique combinations of those 17 types. That's already complicated, and already confuses people, and already skews things with 1/4 and 4x weaknesses. If you increased it to three possible types, that would create 680 different unique combinations, with resistances and weaknesses ranging all the way up to 1/8 and 8x. That's simply far too complicated and far too broad of a range. I don't think there's any way that GF will ever do it.

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
Years
Imagine a Fire/Ice/Flying type that dies instantly when switched into Stealth Rocks... Seems a little flawed to me, x8 weakness, no thanks.

PERHAPS, something like Hidden Types could be implemented. Similarly to Hidden Abilities, on rare occasions Pokemon can be caught with their 'Hidden Type'. These Pokemon could be only found in shaking patches of grass, water spots, Hidden Grottoes etc. However, such Pokemon wouldn't be triple typed, but rather dual-typed with their Hidden Type replacing their usual Secondary Type.

Just a thought!

Interesting idea, but wouldn't it suck when you try to toxic something and it's randomly immune.

Back