• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Triple types?

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2024
Imagine the pain of fighting a water/fire/grass pokemon....

Years
No, this is a terrible thing.
Double types are just fine; it's easy to work out type advantages/disadvantages.
With triple types, it'd just get a whole lot more confusing. Don't expect this.

Years
  • Age 30
  • US
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Triple types would make it extremely confusing considering the fact that there is 649 pokemon plus the new pokedex that will most likely be another 120-ish pokemon.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
i think it would be too imbalanced.. what if you're a grass/bug/ice type? And you get hit by Heat Wave? There's no way you're going to survive a 8x attack from that attack that is a 100 power.

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
Years
What about dual type moves, like Blaze Kick being fire/fighting?

And then Blaziken gets to calculate STAB twice? I don't think so. No, typing is fine as it is, any changes and I'd have to learn a new system and if there is anything I don't want to do is learn a new system on top of 100+ (My educated guess that's all) new pokemon.

diamondmutt1111

A wild summer appeared!
Years
Seriously doubt it...adding Steel and Dark in Gen 2 was weird enough...plus they were added because of Psychic-types...so unless Triple-typing fixes some kind of balancing issue, Triple- typing is slightly...farfetch'd

Years
No. Definitely no.

Triple types would ruin competitive battling as we know it, and it could make Pokemon have 8x weaknesses which is bad.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Like I said many times before, I highly doubt triple-typed Pokémon will be introduced, since this makes the type chart more complicated.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
No, I don't think triple types would be introduced. It does sound amazing and cool, but it'd be mindblowingly difficult to start this, as they'd have to figure out new resistances and weaknesses, plus it would confuse fans, having to learn all of the Pokemon's unique typings again, so I can't imagine this happening :<

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
That would be great if there was triple types instead of two. That would totally change alot of things, including how moves would be effected if it hit the Pokémon. And it would certainly fit for a Light-type to be put into older Pokémon if a Light type was introduced.

So then it would add up. If a move was super effective against all three types, it would be x8 the damage.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
No, it's a ridiculous idea - the type chart would need to be in three dimensions, turning it into a type cube. For a game intended primarily for children, the argument for triple types is just completely untenable.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Please never do this. It would totally break everything and it would literally be the hot mess that Syd mentioned on the first page. It'd take the fun out of things... 1/8 and 8x? No thanks.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Triple types should be avoided at all costs just like DNA evolving between two Pokémon. It just becomes too complex at that point. While some Pokémon could definitely fit the criteria of having a third type, you're talking about overhauling the entire type and battle system to a point where it becomes a tad bit ridiculous just to make something as small as a Pokémon having a third type work.

It was easy to do back in the 2nd generation, because it helped round off the current type system and there were less Pokémon to work with, but now? No. It's too much if you ask me.

Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2016
I think 3 types is way to difficult and confusing. Do not want.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
I don't think it should happen because it would possibly reck up the entire battle system. There would be too many types to consider when using an attack and the attacks will start doing 8x or 0.125 damage!

Back