• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Surfing-Aye or Nay?

• Thread starter Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
  • Start date

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Now with not much being know about Pokemon X and Y, we can discuss this due to not knowing the about the region. If and will Gamefreak be able to develop a decent looking surfing animation, and would you be okay having a region like Hoenn where lots of surfing is involved? Would you like the encounter rate to be lowered or made higher? Will their be diving and whirlpools? Do you think the player will be able to swim themselves or need a Pokemon to ride on and do you think that's likely/viable, and if so how would they do it? Do you think it would actually be possible to fish on a Pokemon? Discuss!

Years
I know I'm probably the only one, but I loved Hoenn's waterways; the huge ocean and all the spots where you could dive underwater.
I'd love to see something similar (maybe slightly less water) and I'd like to see dive make a return (and not just for one underwater ruin like in B/W either)!

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
First of all, I would absolutely love it if the region had alot of ocean, like the days of Ruby and Sapphire.

And as for the encounter rate should be at the same level as in previous games, which makes it alot more easier to navigate along the water for a while before running into a wild Pokémon.

I'd also like to see Diving and Whirlpool involved as well, but perhaps either Dive or Whirlpool could just be a TM that could use for unlocking secret areas in the game.

I think the player should still require a Pokémon to Surf, 'cause this makes progressing through the game just as it normally should, otherwise you'd be bound to access areas too early in the game. xD

As for how the player gets on the Pokémon... instead of having some sort of dark blue shaped thing which the player rides on, the game should use the Pokémon that you chose to surf on and would perform their animation for allowing the player to get on their back and start moving along the waters.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

ill require a Pokémon to Surf, 'cause this makes progressing through the game just as it normally should, otherwise you'd be bound to access areas too early in the game. xD

Hmmm, maybe we could get a new item, the swimsuit?

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I'm glad I am not the only one who loved Hoenn's vast ocean routes. We have always gotten cave/land systems that offered a bit of exploration but, aside from the little exploration the Whirl Islands in Gen II gave us, Hoenn was the first time we were able to get the much needed exploration for water-based routes.

As someone who loves exploring, I'm glad to say a lot of my pre-E4 gametime was spent checking out every last corner of the ocean routes and even occasionally getting lost back then(which was part of the enjoyment really). I just hope they throw in more variety of water-types.

Back on topic a bit more, ha, I'd have to say I'd welcome more water routes again in this region, especially if they can actually show us which pokemon we're riding instead of a generic blue lump.

I think the player should still require a Pokémon to Surf, 'cause this makes progressing through the game just as it normally should, otherwise you'd be bound to access areas too early in the game. xD

Exactly, lmao.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Dear God, no. I hate surfing. Hoenn had everything I absolutely dread about surfing: never-ending water routes in the middle of nowhere, annoying labyrinths of fast currents... It's not a thing I remember fondly, definitely not.

Never understood the point of diving, too. None of the Pokémon you could get with Dive were worth it (Clamperl, Relicanth). Relicanth's only ever use was to unlock the Regis.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
I personally wanna see more water routes, Surf was a bit heavily underused in Unova and so I'd wanna see more of it.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Do you think it would actually be possible to fish on a Pokemon? Discuss!
Fishing while surfing wouldn't be something new. If I remember correctly, neither Black and White or B2/W2 took this option away. Unless it did, and I can't remember. Unova's surfing was very limited to begin with, so...

I'd definitely like more surf / dive areas than what was made available in Unova but probably not as much as what was in Hoenn. Don't get me wrong, I love the Hoenn region, but too much surfing can be a bit tedious. Being on the 3DS and a change of the overworld, I sincerely hope we can move past the surfing on a blue whale and actually see the Pokémon we're swimming on, and if it's a small Pokémon, then have us swimming next to it instead.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
I think they need to fix levels like encounters in tall grass, I don't want to run up into Lv.7 Magikarps all the time, ugh.

But the idea of bringing Dive back is totally rad, I know it was there in BW/B2W2, but I didn't like the time limit. Bring it back like in RSE.

Anyways, more surf would be a nice thing, if like I said, they set a level erm... you know, the final route full of strong Pokemon when a Lv.12 Tentecool pops up :c

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
Well maybe not as much as Hoenn but more than the last two versions.I mean Sinnoh and Unova barely had a surfing spot.And hopefully they'll implement Dive as well.

Raichupacabra

Villain
Years
I loved the ocean in RSE, but since I'm a perfectionist, I like to battle every single trainer and grab every single item. So it became tedious trying to go through the ocean and do everything. Other than that, I don't mind what the size of the ocean is.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I like surfing, but too long a distance of water routes aren't really my thing; I like to see ground every once in a while. About the rate of Pokemon encounters, I would like it to be moderate - not too little, not too much, just nice (of course).

Diving and crossing whirlpools would be a fine addition, but the moves should be TMs that can be used outside of battle such as Headbutt, Sweet Scent etc, allowing them to be easily removed if needed while replacing the HM spaces for other more powerful and reliable HMs.

As for the action of surfing, I would really like for the actual surfer instead of a blue unchanging shape to actually come out of their Pokeball and hop onto the water along with the player as initially stated by PokemonShinySilver, given the better animation that comes with 3D.

Or perhaps the player him/herself should have his/her very first swimsuit and join the other swimmers in the water? The player could have the option to either swim or surf! xD Perhaps swimming would slightly increase the rate of Pokemon encounters, as opposed to surfing, to give a difference.

Years
I've never really minded surfing as much as other HM moves like Cut or Strength so I wouldn't mind having it again. I'm sure the animation will look as good as the rest of the game and even if it's just the blue shadow I'd be okay with that.

What I would like to see is different types of water: ones you can surf on safely without fear or encounters and one like the surfing we've always had. Make it like it is on land where you can sometimes avoid some/all of the grass if you're just going through to another area.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I was kind of in favor of the surfing in Hoenn, I would.. probably like surfing and diving to have more treasure finding purposes, well, rather than just ruins, because while I liked ruins, I wish there was something more, y'know? I'd like to have dive to find different treasure chests of some kind, or have some sort of function where you can only dive to find secret towns or cities where legendary pokemon might be, sort of like in the Hoenn region too.

But, well, Hoenn was more of a tropical region, so I'm not exactly sure if that much surfing will be incorporated in these games. D=

I think the encounter rates should be moderate instead of higher though; in fear of wild pokemon encounters perhaps being more cinematic this time?

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I have no problem with surfing and don't even begin to understand the rage over the amount of water in Hoenn. If it's a problem - that's exactly what Repels are in the game for.

I expect the next games will have surfing, and if nothing else, the animation will have to be different just because it'll be rendered in 3D meshes instead of 2D sprites. I hope they have some fairly extensive water routes - Unova and Sinnoh were both a bit short in that regard IMO. And I'd love to see more diving, though I'm not sure if it'll be a part of X and Y or if they'll save it for the inevitable Hoenn remakes.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I would like to see a few more chances to surf in this game. The 5th gen was lacking in that area.

I would love to see diving make a return too.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
Yup i want a big ocean.After all i love sea especially if it is raining.AND of course an underwater legendary pokemon and of course an event like when you had to fight team aqua in the underwater cavern.

Back