Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!

Closed Thread

Old January 7th, 2013 (8:36 AM).
Back from the dead...

Nature: Bold
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NikNaks View Post
    Alright, that's fair, but you should make it clear that you're a programmer in your OP.

I don't see why those things should replace stats and levels, though. How will Pokémon evolve in this new system, for instance? They do sound very nice mechanics, though. Is the planning document private?

Putting a banner in your signature is not a good indicator of how much someone cares about a project.
    Yes, I will make sure that I tell everyone I'm a programmer. I'll edit the post in a minute.

Pokemon will evolve via the Thirst-for battle system. For example, when a Pidove feels a fair thirst for battle, it will evolve into Tranquil, and Tranquil will evolve when it feels really thirst for battle. Basically, the higher the evolved form, the hungrier for battle they get. Yes, the planning document is private. Sorry, but I just don't want it to leak and then have the whole world know how to do it. You never know, someone might know how to hack into your computer! (I shouldn't think so though.)

It is to me. It's kind of a sign of respect as well. You might not think of it as that, but I do. If they give a reason as to why they aren't going to put the banner up, then it's fair enough.

Don't agree? Sorry for spoiling your day.

Coming soon... a new game... after I've finished Pokemon Steel of course.

MONSTERRA

Relevant Advertising!

Old January 7th, 2013 (8:49 AM).

Nature: Jolly
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Leikaru View Post
      Pokemon will evolve via the Thirst-for battle system. For example, when a Pidove feels a fair thirst for battle, it will evolve into Tranquil, and Tranquil will evolve when it feels really thirst for battle. Basically, the higher the evolved form, the hungrier for battle they get. Yes, the planning document is private. Sorry, but I just don't want it to leak and then have the whole world know how to do it. You never know, someone might know how to hack into your computer! (I shouldn't think so though.)
      That must be one heck of a detailed document. xD

Anyway, I don't quite understand why thirst for battle alone would warrant an evolution. In terms of keeping it closer to the anime, it does make sense, as that's the standard reason given, but how are you going to work that into an RPG that relies on levels and stats to make enemies competitive and balanced? If your starter happens to evolve slightly early, without stats surely it would blow away the next group of trainers who would be expecting a smaller Pokémon? How will damage be calculated?

Quote:
      It is to me. It's kind of a sign of respect as well. You might not think of it as that, but I do. If they give a reason as to why they aren't going to put the banner up, then it's fair enough.
      The main reason for my initial comment was that your OP acts like the banner is a reward in and of itself for helping, which is the silly part.
      Old January 7th, 2013 (8:55 AM). Edited January 7th, 2013 by Leikaru.
      Back from the dead...

Quote:
        Originally Posted by NikNaks View Post
        That must be one heck of a detailed document. xD

Anyway, I don't quite understand why thirst for battle alone would warrant an evolution. In terms of keeping it closer to the anime, it does make sense, as that's the standard reason given, but how are you going to work that into an RPG that relies on levels and stats to make enemies competitive and balanced? If your starter happens to evolve slightly early, without stats surely it would blow away the next group of trainers who would be expecting a smaller Pokémon? How will damage be calculated?

The main reason for my initial comment was that your OP acts like the banner is a reward in and of itself for helping, which is the silly part.
        It really is quite the detailed document, containing facts that only I may ever know.

Now, thirst for battle will not allow Pokemon to evolve early, unless your lucky. It mainly depends on that value, but there is a special value in it. I'll tell you more, I don't want everybody knowing how it works, I don't want to spill the document details by accident. I'll PM you.

Damage is constantly calculated by something called Damage Values. More about them as well in the PM.

The banner isn't a reward, just a sign that you work for the team. Yeah, it might sound silly, but it proves your a keen developer as well.

Everyone, I would like to welcome yet another member to our expanding team! Welcome NikNaks. He will be helping us in some Building modeling, and maybe some Pokemon if I can persuade him. (I hope your reading.)

MONSTERRA
        Old January 7th, 2013 (10:02 AM).
        Banned

Nature: Gentle
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
          My post was unrelated to the actual project in terms of 3D
          I was simply telling ppooooookkk that h mode is compatible for essentails.
          I know it is but it's very hard to use thats why. Whenever i add custom tiles(which i use) it gives some random error :\
          Old January 7th, 2013 (1:32 PM).
          The Hyena
          • Silver Tier

Ah, sorry 'bout the misunderstanding mate. I thought you were new to all this.
          Gotta say this turned out to be rather promising. I'm really interested in your new battle system. Got quite a few questions for you as well, but I'll save those for later.

Anyway, I'm a novice C# programmer myself, slightly more experienced than Karel_Kazuki. If you still need help, count on me.
          Things I've made in C# so far:
          -Pong
          -Tetris
          -Minesweeper
          -adding sidescrolling and some other functionality to an already existing platformer (assignment from school)

Plus I'm an fairly good mapper (if I'm allowed to say so myself) and a rather critical overall designer/planner who'll make sure the product is as good as it can be.
          Old January 7th, 2013 (3:42 PM).
          Guess who's back?

Nature: Naughty
            So, this is being done in UNity 3D, eh? It's only natural I have doubts for the finish of this project, not many unity 3D pokemons get finished.

But regardless you seem motivated which is good enough!
            I wish you the best of luck with this project.
            Old January 8th, 2013 (10:21 AM).
            Back from the dead...

Hello all! I would like to say thanks for all the replies. I'm going to reply to them now:

@elarmasecreta: Don't worry. People misunderstand each other a lot. Also, the more Programmers the merrier. I have to say, you are free to join. Welcome. Also, you can ask the questions via PM, I'll answer them as much as I well as I can. A designer, eh? Good to see that as well. You can help me just polish it off, it you would like. It looks like your quite the versatile developer.

@Nintendork15: Yes, I will get a lot of doubts over time, but still, I believe this game can be done. Just because hardly any get done, doesn't mean I'm going to stop. Because I'm not.

Edit: Sorry for going off topic or anything, but I'm really looking forward to Pokemon X and Y. The sequel is going to have to be Pokemon Z. Based the game names of Dimensions. Proves they are running out of ideas. The bird legendary is AMAZING though.

MONSTERRA
              Old January 10th, 2013 (1:16 AM).
              Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp

Nature: Quiet
                Sorry i haven't formally posted in the topic yet,but I've been preparing myself for finals at my university and my workload has been increased by my slow output as of late. But I'm still programming, and am currently working on a simplified battle system that can be expanded in the upcoming year. Dabbling in my own work , hopefully if i can get it tweaked enough, i'll slap it into Unity and see how it runs in the engine. Give me some time.

I am a university student, currently studying C# and looking for any practice pertaining to building my skills.I'm also a concept designer and storyline designer.

contact me here or at [email protected].

Screw Banners.I support all that is made.But Join these Forums!

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Pokemon_BN/index.php?act=idx
                Old January 12th, 2013 (5:40 AM).
                Back from the dead...

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. I've been busy, doing other things. The game is still going to be released. The first alpha version, basically a little intro demo, will be released once I have all the models required. For the first version, I'm looking for just 3 models. Not too much. They are the Kaylen Starters; Vinleef, Scerch and Mintris (Water - It had a name change). I'll give you more details if you're interested.

MONSTERRA
                  Old January 13th, 2013 (2:30 AM). Edited January 13th, 2013 by Leikaru.
                  Back from the dead...

Right, so, I am very shortly going to begin work on the models. I have learnt how to model ( a little bit), and so will be doing some modelling of my own.

Update: I have a sprite. It is a Sprite, though, so it will not be in the game. I am using it as a template for my first model. Here it is, Kormon:

Any Feedback?

Also, does anyone think I should go ahead with Unity, or should I use RMXP Pokemon Essentails instead?

MONSTERRA
                    Old January 13th, 2013 (9:50 AM).
                    #BAMFPokemonNerd

Nature: Sassy
                      Quote:
                      Right, so, I am very shortly going to begin work on the models. I have learnt how to model ( a little bit), and so will be doing some modelling of my own.

Update: I have a sprite. It is a Sprite, though, so it will not be in the game. I am using it as a template for my first model. Here it is, Kormon:

Any Feedback?

Also, does anyone think I should go ahead with Unity, or should I use RMXP Pokemon Essentails instead?
                      hahaha, what is that? is it like a slug dragon water thing? I can't tell what it will be :o
                      and i think making a 3D game would be cool and original, but you should only do what you can manage; if you think its too much and you can do a much better job on RMXP then do that. It would be better to have an amazing game than a mediocre game. But it should come down to what you really want, making a game is never easy

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old January 13th, 2013 (10:26 AM). Edited January 13th, 2013 by Leikaru.
                      Back from the dead...

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
                        hahaha, what is that? is it like a slug dragon water thing? I can't tell what it will be :o
                        and i think making a 3D game would be cool and original, but you should only do what you can manage; if you think its too much and you can do a much better job on RMXP then do that. It would be better to have an amazing game than a mediocre game. But it should come down to what you really want, making a game is never easy
                        It's called Kormon, and your right, it's a slug. It's actually a Psychic/Water type. It's from outer space! It has lose it's sight, and in replace of it's eyes, a strange gem from outer space is there. Because of this gem, it is hunted for the gem.

As well as that, I'm really not sure, I would make an amazing game in RMXP, and probably an above average one in Unity, but the graphics will make people forget about quality. I'm really unsure.

Also, here is the evolution of Kormon, Komet:

What do you think?

MONSTERRA
                        Old January 13th, 2013 (11:15 AM).
                        #BAMFPokemonNerd

Quote:
                          It's called Kormon, and your right, it's a slug. It's actually a Psychic/Water type. It's from outer space! It has lose it's sight, and in replace of it's eyes, a strange gem from outer space is there. Because of this gem, it is hunted for the gem.

As well as that, I'm really not sure, I would make an amazing game in RMXP, and probably an above average one in Unity, but the graphics will make people forget about quality. I'm really unsure.
                          yeah thats very true, but it only matters what you think, if you like the outcome of the game then thats all you need :3

and cool, space pokemon are weird though >.< i mean clefairy makes no sense at all hahahaha, maybe they passed each other on their way to earth

Old January 13th, 2013 (11:23 AM).
                          Back from the dead...

They might have, and probably ended up knocking each other into the wrong destination. Have you seen the evo?

MONSTERRA
                            Old January 13th, 2013 (11:54 AM).
                            #BAMFPokemonNerd

it looks like its trying to take a solid form instead of the amorphous goo a slug normally has hahaha
                              oh and why does it look pink? or magenta i think
                              i like its little tail :3

Old January 13th, 2013 (12:06 PM).
                              Back from the dead...

It's a bit of a demented Pokemon, but then again, all alien Pokemon do. I don't have a clue why I chose pink, goes with the alien theme I guess. As for the little tail, well, it's basically what moves it around. It hasn't got any legs. *Gulp*

MONSTERRA
                                Old January 13th, 2013 (1:10 PM).
                                #BAMFPokemonNerd

awesome! I cant wait to see it finished :D

Old January 14th, 2013 (8:11 AM).
                                  Back from the dead...

Don't worry, I'm working on the starter sprites right now. They look pretty... amusing right now.

MONSTERRA
                                    Old January 16th, 2013 (11:28 AM).
                                    Back from the dead...

Sorry for double post (I dunno if it's been merged on auto-pilot like it does sometimes), but the starters are almost finished. At least, the sprites anyway. Not the evo's though, they are coming soon.

MONSTERRA
                                      Old January 16th, 2013 (11:35 AM). Edited January 16th, 2013 by Radical Raptr.
                                      #BAMFPokemonNerd

awesome! I bet everyone is totally pumped for this!
                                        I know I am

Old January 16th, 2013 (12:06 PM).
                                        Craziest Glaceon you will meet

Nature: Lonely
                                          the game sounds interesting especially the no level thing and new evolution method but i say it is hard to program a game in Unity 3D
                                          Old January 17th, 2013 (8:03 AM). Edited January 17th, 2013 by Leikaru.
                                          Back from the dead...

Finally time to reveal the starters! You know there names, now your about to discover their looks, and details! Be prepared, because tomorrow you will see the second evo's of the trio!

Vinleef
                                            Type: Grass
                                            Species: Sauropod Pokemon
                                            Ability: Overgrow
                                            Height: 3'08
                                            Weight: 45 Lbs

Scerch
                                            Type: Fire/Flying
                                            Species: Fire Balloon Pokemon
                                            Ability: Blaze
                                            Height: 1'08
                                            Weight: 1 Lb

Mintril
                                            Type: Water
                                            Species: Alien Jellyfish Pokemon
                                            Ability: Torrent
                                            Height: 2'04
                                            Weight: 14 Lbs

MONSTERRA
                                            Old January 17th, 2013 (8:55 AM).
                                            The Hyena
                                            • Silver Tier

I'm going to be really blunt and rude here, but those sprites look terrible.
                                            Did you base 'em of some concept art? or did you just open paint and started drawing? Please look at some spriting tutorials, or at least at the official sprites for some guidelines...

You claim to have 5 years of experience in game-development, you must be able to see that those sprites are sub-par, right?
                                            Old January 17th, 2013 (8:56 AM).
                                            Back from the dead...

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by elarmasecreta View Post
                                              I'm going to be really blunt and rude here, but those sprites look terrible.
                                              Did you base 'em of some concept art? or did you just open paint and started drawing? Please look at some spriting tutorials, or at least at the official sprites for some guidelines...

You claim to have 5 years of experience in game-development, you must be able to see that those sprites are sub-par, right?
                                              I know they are terrible, but I can't sprite, and since no one else seems to want the job, someone's gotta do it right? I use these as a template for the models, so if they look bad, the models might not.

MONSTERRA
                                              Old January 17th, 2013 (10:38 AM).
                                              Lord Varion Lord Varion is offline
                                              Guess who's back?

Nature: Naughty
                                                Quote:
                                                I know they are terrible, but I can't sprite, and since no one else seems to want the job, someone's gotta do it right? I use these as a template for the models, so if they look bad, the models might not.
                                                Well, the fact that I can't see what they're suppose to be, makes me have huuuuge doubts for the models.
                                                How good are you at modelling?

Sponsored Links