Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old January 7th, 2013 (8:36 AM).
Leikaru Leikaru is offline
Back from the dead...
     
    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Location: Textville
    Age: 18
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Bold
    Posts: 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NikNaks View Post
    Alright, that's fair, but you should make it clear that you're a programmer in your OP.



    I don't see why those things should replace stats and levels, though. How will Pokémon evolve in this new system, for instance? They do sound very nice mechanics, though. Is the planning document private?



    Putting a banner in your signature is not a good indicator of how much someone cares about a project.
    Yes, I will make sure that I tell everyone I'm a programmer. I'll edit the post in a minute.

    Pokemon will evolve via the Thirst-for battle system. For example, when a Pidove feels a fair thirst for battle, it will evolve into Tranquil, and Tranquil will evolve when it feels really thirst for battle. Basically, the higher the evolved form, the hungrier for battle they get. Yes, the planning document is private. Sorry, but I just don't want it to leak and then have the whole world know how to do it. You never know, someone might know how to hack into your computer! (I shouldn't think so though.)

    It is to me. It's kind of a sign of respect as well. You might not think of it as that, but I do. If they give a reason as to why they aren't going to put the banner up, then it's fair enough.
    __________________
    Pokemon Y > Pokemon X

    Don't agree? Sorry for spoiling your day.



    Coming soon... a new game... after I've finished Pokemon Steel of course.

    MONSTERRA

    Relevant Advertising!

      #27    
    Old January 7th, 2013 (8:49 AM).
    NikNaks's Avatar
    NikNaks NikNaks is offline
       
      Join Date: Jun 2009
      Location: England
      Age: 23
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Jolly
      Posts: 485
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Leikaru View Post
      Pokemon will evolve via the Thirst-for battle system. For example, when a Pidove feels a fair thirst for battle, it will evolve into Tranquil, and Tranquil will evolve when it feels really thirst for battle. Basically, the higher the evolved form, the hungrier for battle they get. Yes, the planning document is private. Sorry, but I just don't want it to leak and then have the whole world know how to do it. You never know, someone might know how to hack into your computer! (I shouldn't think so though.)
      That must be one heck of a detailed document. xD

      Anyway, I don't quite understand why thirst for battle alone would warrant an evolution. In terms of keeping it closer to the anime, it does make sense, as that's the standard reason given, but how are you going to work that into an RPG that relies on levels and stats to make enemies competitive and balanced? If your starter happens to evolve slightly early, without stats surely it would blow away the next group of trainers who would be expecting a smaller Pokémon? How will damage be calculated?

      Quote:
      It is to me. It's kind of a sign of respect as well. You might not think of it as that, but I do. If they give a reason as to why they aren't going to put the banner up, then it's fair enough.
      The main reason for my initial comment was that your OP acts like the banner is a reward in and of itself for helping, which is the silly part.
      __________________
        #28    
      Old January 7th, 2013 (8:55 AM). Edited January 7th, 2013 by Leikaru.
      Leikaru Leikaru is offline
      Back from the dead...
         
        Join Date: Jan 2013
        Location: Textville
        Age: 18
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Bold
        Posts: 89
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by NikNaks View Post
        That must be one heck of a detailed document. xD

        Anyway, I don't quite understand why thirst for battle alone would warrant an evolution. In terms of keeping it closer to the anime, it does make sense, as that's the standard reason given, but how are you going to work that into an RPG that relies on levels and stats to make enemies competitive and balanced? If your starter happens to evolve slightly early, without stats surely it would blow away the next group of trainers who would be expecting a smaller Pokémon? How will damage be calculated?



        The main reason for my initial comment was that your OP acts like the banner is a reward in and of itself for helping, which is the silly part.
        It really is quite the detailed document, containing facts that only I may ever know.

        Now, thirst for battle will not allow Pokemon to evolve early, unless your lucky. It mainly depends on that value, but there is a special value in it. I'll tell you more, I don't want everybody knowing how it works, I don't want to spill the document details by accident. I'll PM you.

        Damage is constantly calculated by something called Damage Values. More about them as well in the PM.

        The banner isn't a reward, just a sign that you work for the team. Yeah, it might sound silly, but it proves your a keen developer as well.

        Everyone, I would like to welcome yet another member to our expanding team! Welcome NikNaks. He will be helping us in some Building modeling, and maybe some Pokemon if I can persuade him. (I hope your reading.)
        __________________
        Pokemon Y > Pokemon X

        Don't agree? Sorry for spoiling your day.



        Coming soon... a new game... after I've finished Pokemon Steel of course.

        MONSTERRA
          #29    
        Old January 7th, 2013 (10:02 AM).
        ppooookkkkkkk ppooookkkkkkk is offline
        Banned
           
          Join Date: May 2012
          Location: Newbud town (Pokemon Morning/Night)
          Age: 16
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Gentle
          Posts: 229
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
          My post was unrelated to the actual project in terms of 3D
          I was simply telling ppooooookkk that h mode is compatible for essentails.
          I know it is but it's very hard to use thats why. Whenever i add custom tiles(which i use) it gives some random error :\
            #30    
          Old January 7th, 2013 (1:32 PM).
          Arma's Avatar
          Arma Arma is offline
          The Hyena
          • Silver Tier
           
          Join Date: Dec 2009
          Location: The Hague
          Age: 24
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 1,256
          Ah, sorry 'bout the misunderstanding mate. I thought you were new to all this.
          Gotta say this turned out to be rather promising. I'm really interested in your new battle system. Got quite a few questions for you as well, but I'll save those for later.

          Anyway, I'm a novice C# programmer myself, slightly more experienced than Karel_Kazuki. If you still need help, count on me.
          Things I've made in C# so far:
          -Pong
          -Tetris
          -Minesweeper
          -adding sidescrolling and some other functionality to an already existing platformer (assignment from school)

          Plus I'm an fairly good mapper (if I'm allowed to say so myself) and a rather critical overall designer/planner who'll make sure the product is as good as it can be.
          __________________
            #31    
          Old January 7th, 2013 (3:42 PM).
          Lord Varion's Avatar
          Lord Varion Lord Varion is offline
          Guess who's back?
             
            Join Date: Feb 2009
            Age: 22
            Gender: Other
            Nature: Naughty
            Posts: 2,644
            So, this is being done in UNity 3D, eh? It's only natural I have doubts for the finish of this project, not many unity 3D pokemons get finished.

            But regardless you seem motivated which is good enough!
            I wish you the best of luck with this project.
            __________________
            gone.
              #32    
            Old January 8th, 2013 (10:21 AM).
            Leikaru Leikaru is offline
            Back from the dead...
               
              Join Date: Jan 2013
              Location: Textville
              Age: 18
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Bold
              Posts: 89
              Hello all! I would like to say thanks for all the replies. I'm going to reply to them now:

              @elarmasecreta: Don't worry. People misunderstand each other a lot. Also, the more Programmers the merrier. I have to say, you are free to join. Welcome. Also, you can ask the questions via PM, I'll answer them as much as I well as I can. A designer, eh? Good to see that as well. You can help me just polish it off, it you would like. It looks like your quite the versatile developer.

              @Nintendork15: Yes, I will get a lot of doubts over time, but still, I believe this game can be done. Just because hardly any get done, doesn't mean I'm going to stop. Because I'm not.

              Edit: Sorry for going off topic or anything, but I'm really looking forward to Pokemon X and Y. The sequel is going to have to be Pokemon Z. Based the game names of Dimensions. Proves they are running out of ideas. The bird legendary is AMAZING though.
              __________________
              Pokemon Y > Pokemon X

              Don't agree? Sorry for spoiling your day.



              Coming soon... a new game... after I've finished Pokemon Steel of course.

              MONSTERRA
                #33    
              Old January 10th, 2013 (1:16 AM).
              Karel_Kazuki's Avatar
              Karel_Kazuki Karel_Kazuki is offline
              Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp
                 
                Join Date: Feb 2008
                Location: U.s.a.
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Quiet
                Posts: 375
                Sorry i haven't formally posted in the topic yet,but I've been preparing myself for finals at my university and my workload has been increased by my slow output as of late. But I'm still programming, and am currently working on a simplified battle system that can be expanded in the upcoming year. Dabbling in my own work , hopefully if i can get it tweaked enough, i'll slap it into Unity and see how it runs in the engine. Give me some time.
                __________________
                Yes,I am Karel Kazuki or Kareru.
                Im an all around guy who does everything,from play sports to trying to learn to design games.

                I am a university student, currently studying C# and looking for any practice pertaining to building my skills.I'm also a concept designer and storyline designer.

                contact me here or at [email protected].

                Screw Banners.I support all that is made.But Join these Forums!

                http://z15.invisionfree.com/Pokemon_BN/index.php?act=idx
                  #34    
                Old January 12th, 2013 (5:40 AM).
                Leikaru Leikaru is offline
                Back from the dead...
                   
                  Join Date: Jan 2013
                  Location: Textville
                  Age: 18
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Bold
                  Posts: 89
                  Sorry I haven't posted for a while. I've been busy, doing other things. The game is still going to be released. The first alpha version, basically a little intro demo, will be released once I have all the models required. For the first version, I'm looking for just 3 models. Not too much. They are the Kaylen Starters; Vinleef, Scerch and Mintris (Water - It had a name change). I'll give you more details if you're interested.
                  __________________
                  Pokemon Y > Pokemon X

                  Don't agree? Sorry for spoiling your day.



                  Coming soon... a new game... after I've finished Pokemon Steel of course.

                  MONSTERRA
                    #35    
                  Old January 13th, 2013 (2:30 AM). Edited January 13th, 2013 by Leikaru.
                  Leikaru Leikaru is offline
                  Back from the dead...
                     
                    Join Date: Jan 2013
                    Location: Textville
                    Age: 18
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Bold
                    Posts: 89
                    Right, so, I am very shortly going to begin work on the models. I have learnt how to model ( a little bit), and so will be doing some modelling of my own.

                    Update: I have a sprite. It is a Sprite, though, so it will not be in the game. I am using it as a template for my first model. Here it is, Kormon:



                    Any Feedback?

                    Also, does anyone think I should go ahead with Unity, or should I use RMXP Pokemon Essentails instead?
                    __________________
                    Pokemon Y > Pokemon X

                    Don't agree? Sorry for spoiling your day.



                    Coming soon... a new game... after I've finished Pokemon Steel of course.

                    MONSTERRA
                      #36    
                    Old January 13th, 2013 (9:50 AM).
                    Radical Raptr's Avatar
                    Radical Raptr Radical Raptr is offline
                    #BAMFPokemonNerd
                       
                      Join Date: Mar 2011
                      Location: everywhere
                      Age: 22
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Sassy
                      Posts: 1,116
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Leikaru View Post
                      Right, so, I am very shortly going to begin work on the models. I have learnt how to model ( a little bit), and so will be doing some modelling of my own.

                      Update: I have a sprite. It is a Sprite, though, so it will not be in the game. I am using it as a template for my first model. Here it is, Kormon:



                      Any Feedback?

                      Also, does anyone think I should go ahead with Unity, or should I use RMXP Pokemon Essentails instead?
                      hahaha, what is that? is it like a slug dragon water thing? I can't tell what it will be :o
                      and i think making a 3D game would be cool and original, but you should only do what you can manage; if you think its too much and you can do a much better job on RMXP then do that. It would be better to have an amazing game than a mediocre game. But it should come down to what you really want, making a game is never easy
                      __________________

                      ~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

                        #37    
                      Old January 13th, 2013 (10:26 AM). Edited January 13th, 2013 by Leikaru.
                      Leikaru Leikaru is offline
                      Back from the dead...
                         
                        Join Date: Jan 2013
                        Location: Textville
                        Age: 18
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Bold
                        Posts: 89
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
                        hahaha, what is that? is it like a slug dragon water thing? I can't tell what it will be :o
                        and i think making a 3D game would be cool and original, but you should only do what you can manage; if you think its too much and you can do a much better job on RMXP then do that. It would be better to have an amazing game than a mediocre game. But it should come down to what you really want, making a game is never easy
                        It's called Kormon, and your right, it's a slug. It's actually a Psychic/Water type. It's from outer space! It has lose it's sight, and in replace of it's eyes, a strange gem from outer space is there. Because of this gem, it is hunted for the gem.

                        As well as that, I'm really not sure, I would make an amazing game in RMXP, and probably an above average one in Unity, but the graphics will make people forget about quality. I'm really unsure.

                        Also, here is the evolution of Kormon, Komet:



                        What do you think?
                        __________________
                        Pokemon Y > Pokemon X

                        Don't agree? Sorry for spoiling your day.



                        Coming soon... a new game... after I've finished Pokemon Steel of course.

                        MONSTERRA
                          #38    
                        Old January 13th, 2013 (11:15 AM).
                        Radical Raptr's Avatar
                        Radical Raptr Radical Raptr is offline
                        #BAMFPokemonNerd
                           
                          Join Date: Mar 2011
                          Location: everywhere
                          Age: 22
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Sassy
                          Posts: 1,116
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Leikaru View Post
                          It's called Kormon, and your right, it's a slug. It's actually a Psychic/Water type. It's from outer space! It has lose it's sight, and in replace of it's eyes, a strange gem from outer space is there. Because of this gem, it is hunted for the gem.

                          As well as that, I'm really not sure, I would make an amazing game in RMXP, and probably an above average one in Unity, but the graphics will make people forget about quality. I'm really unsure.
                          yeah thats very true, but it only matters what you think, if you like the outcome of the game then thats all you need :3

                          and cool, space pokemon are weird though >.< i mean clefairy makes no sense at all hahahaha, maybe they passed each other on their way to earth
                          __________________

                          ~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

                            #39    
                          Old January 13th, 2013 (11:23 AM).
                          Leikaru Leikaru is offline
                          Back from the dead...
                             
                            Join Date: Jan 2013
                            Location: Textville
                            Age: 18
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Bold
                            Posts: 89
                            They might have, and probably ended up knocking each other into the wrong destination. Have you seen the evo?
                            __________________
                            Pokemon Y > Pokemon X

                            Don't agree? Sorry for spoiling your day.



                            Coming soon... a new game... after I've finished Pokemon Steel of course.

                            MONSTERRA
                              #40    
                            Old January 13th, 2013 (11:54 AM).
                            Radical Raptr's Avatar
                            Radical Raptr Radical Raptr is offline
                            #BAMFPokemonNerd
                               
                              Join Date: Mar 2011
                              Location: everywhere
                              Age: 22
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Sassy
                              Posts: 1,116
                              it looks like its trying to take a solid form instead of the amorphous goo a slug normally has hahaha
                              oh and why does it look pink? or magenta i think
                              i like its little tail :3
                              __________________

                              ~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

                                #41    
                              Old January 13th, 2013 (12:06 PM).
                              Leikaru Leikaru is offline
                              Back from the dead...
                                 
                                Join Date: Jan 2013
                                Location: Textville
                                Age: 18
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Bold
                                Posts: 89
                                It's a bit of a demented Pokemon, but then again, all alien Pokemon do. I don't have a clue why I chose pink, goes with the alien theme I guess. As for the little tail, well, it's basically what moves it around. It hasn't got any legs. *Gulp*
                                __________________
                                Pokemon Y > Pokemon X

                                Don't agree? Sorry for spoiling your day.



                                Coming soon... a new game... after I've finished Pokemon Steel of course.

                                MONSTERRA
                                  #42    
                                Old January 13th, 2013 (1:10 PM).
                                Radical Raptr's Avatar
                                Radical Raptr Radical Raptr is offline
                                #BAMFPokemonNerd
                                   
                                  Join Date: Mar 2011
                                  Location: everywhere
                                  Age: 22
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Sassy
                                  Posts: 1,116
                                  awesome! I cant wait to see it finished :D
                                  __________________

                                  ~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

                                    #43    
                                  Old January 14th, 2013 (8:11 AM).
                                  Leikaru Leikaru is offline
                                  Back from the dead...
                                     
                                    Join Date: Jan 2013
                                    Location: Textville
                                    Age: 18
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Bold
                                    Posts: 89
                                    Don't worry, I'm working on the starter sprites right now. They look pretty... amusing right now.
                                    __________________
                                    Pokemon Y > Pokemon X

                                    Don't agree? Sorry for spoiling your day.



                                    Coming soon... a new game... after I've finished Pokemon Steel of course.

                                    MONSTERRA
                                      #44    
                                    Old January 16th, 2013 (11:28 AM).
                                    Leikaru Leikaru is offline
                                    Back from the dead...
                                       
                                      Join Date: Jan 2013
                                      Location: Textville
                                      Age: 18
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Nature: Bold
                                      Posts: 89
                                      Sorry for double post (I dunno if it's been merged on auto-pilot like it does sometimes), but the starters are almost finished. At least, the sprites anyway. Not the evo's though, they are coming soon.
                                      __________________
                                      Pokemon Y > Pokemon X

                                      Don't agree? Sorry for spoiling your day.



                                      Coming soon... a new game... after I've finished Pokemon Steel of course.

                                      MONSTERRA
                                        #45    
                                      Old January 16th, 2013 (11:35 AM). Edited January 16th, 2013 by Radical Raptr.
                                      Radical Raptr's Avatar
                                      Radical Raptr Radical Raptr is offline
                                      #BAMFPokemonNerd
                                         
                                        Join Date: Mar 2011
                                        Location: everywhere
                                        Age: 22
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Nature: Sassy
                                        Posts: 1,116
                                        awesome! I bet everyone is totally pumped for this!
                                        I know I am
                                        __________________

                                        ~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

                                          #46    
                                        Old January 16th, 2013 (12:06 PM).
                                        Glaceon's Avatar
                                        Glaceon Glaceon is offline
                                        Craziest Glaceon you will meet
                                           
                                          Join Date: Jan 2013
                                          Location: Ljubljana
                                          Age: 17
                                          Gender: Other
                                          Nature: Lonely
                                          Posts: 1,368
                                          the game sounds interesting especially the no level thing and new evolution method but i say it is hard to program a game in Unity 3D
                                            #47    
                                          Old January 17th, 2013 (8:03 AM). Edited January 17th, 2013 by Leikaru.
                                          Leikaru Leikaru is offline
                                          Back from the dead...
                                             
                                            Join Date: Jan 2013
                                            Location: Textville
                                            Age: 18
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Bold
                                            Posts: 89
                                            Finally time to reveal the starters! You know there names, now your about to discover their looks, and details! Be prepared, because tomorrow you will see the second evo's of the trio!



                                            Vinleef
                                            Type: Grass
                                            Species: Sauropod Pokemon
                                            Ability: Overgrow
                                            Height: 3'08
                                            Weight: 45 Lbs

                                            Scerch
                                            Type: Fire/Flying
                                            Species: Fire Balloon Pokemon
                                            Ability: Blaze
                                            Height: 1'08
                                            Weight: 1 Lb

                                            Mintril
                                            Type: Water
                                            Species: Alien Jellyfish Pokemon
                                            Ability: Torrent
                                            Height: 2'04
                                            Weight: 14 Lbs
                                            __________________
                                            Pokemon Y > Pokemon X

                                            Don't agree? Sorry for spoiling your day.



                                            Coming soon... a new game... after I've finished Pokemon Steel of course.

                                            MONSTERRA
                                              #48    
                                            Old January 17th, 2013 (8:55 AM).
                                            Arma's Avatar
                                            Arma Arma is offline
                                            The Hyena
                                            • Silver Tier
                                             
                                            Join Date: Dec 2009
                                            Location: The Hague
                                            Age: 24
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Jolly
                                            Posts: 1,256
                                            I'm going to be really blunt and rude here, but those sprites look terrible.
                                            Did you base 'em of some concept art? or did you just open paint and started drawing? Please look at some spriting tutorials, or at least at the official sprites for some guidelines...

                                            You claim to have 5 years of experience in game-development, you must be able to see that those sprites are sub-par, right?
                                            __________________
                                              #49    
                                            Old January 17th, 2013 (8:56 AM).
                                            Leikaru Leikaru is offline
                                            Back from the dead...
                                               
                                              Join Date: Jan 2013
                                              Location: Textville
                                              Age: 18
                                              Gender: Male
                                              Nature: Bold
                                              Posts: 89
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by elarmasecreta View Post
                                              I'm going to be really blunt and rude here, but those sprites look terrible.
                                              Did you base 'em of some concept art? or did you just open paint and started drawing? Please look at some spriting tutorials, or at least at the official sprites for some guidelines...

                                              You claim to have 5 years of experience in game-development, you must be able to see that those sprites are sub-par, right?
                                              I know they are terrible, but I can't sprite, and since no one else seems to want the job, someone's gotta do it right? I use these as a template for the models, so if they look bad, the models might not.
                                              __________________
                                              Pokemon Y > Pokemon X

                                              Don't agree? Sorry for spoiling your day.



                                              Coming soon... a new game... after I've finished Pokemon Steel of course.

                                              MONSTERRA
                                                #50    
                                              Old January 17th, 2013 (10:38 AM).
                                              Lord Varion's Avatar
                                              Lord Varion Lord Varion is offline
                                              Guess who's back?
                                                 
                                                Join Date: Feb 2009
                                                Age: 22
                                                Gender: Other
                                                Nature: Naughty
                                                Posts: 2,644
                                                Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by Leikaru View Post
                                                I know they are terrible, but I can't sprite, and since no one else seems to want the job, someone's gotta do it right? I use these as a template for the models, so if they look bad, the models might not.
                                                Well, the fact that I can't see what they're suppose to be, makes me have huuuuge doubts for the models.
                                                How good are you at modelling?
                                                __________________
                                                gone.
                                                Closed Thread
                                                Quick Reply

                                                Sponsored Links
                                                Thread Tools

                                                Posting Rules
                                                You may not post new threads
                                                You may not post replies
                                                You may not post attachments
                                                You may not edit your posts

                                                BB code is On
                                                Smilies are On
                                                [IMG] code is On
                                                HTML code is Off

                                                Forum Jump


                                                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:36 PM.