ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old January 16th, 2013 (7:01 AM).

I'm trying to make some custom moves, I won't need to make any new animations but I do need to change their sprites (for example, making signal beam blue instead of pink). How do I do this?

Also, would it be possible for me to duplicate a move? I want there to be more than one signal beam move, one normal and one blue.

Relevant Advertising!

Old January 16th, 2013 (8:01 AM). Edited January 16th, 2013 by karatekid552.
    What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
      Actually, XSE compiles msgbox to several less obvious commands that, when chained together, produce the desired message on screen, so it makes no difference whatsoever whether s/he uses MSG_NORMAL as an inline parameter, or if s/he follows it with a callstd 0x6.

Although, I believe that XSE doesn't like the older style of message followed by callstd, correct me if I'm wrong.

For the record, I think it's loadpointer, followed by callstd (Message Type).
      I'm not going to say your wrong because I have read that same thing in many places, but my copy of XSE, which I am pretty sure is the newest one, refuses to use the MSG_NORMAL or simple 0x6 at the end of msgboc @msg.

For the loadpointer, if it is needed, I've never had to do it. Through experimenting with all the different ways, I have found this set up to work flawlessly:

msgbox @msg
      callstd 0x(msgtype)

Maybe some of .rbk files are missing some lines that prevents that. Hmm, maybe I should look a little deeper.

Anyway, in my own experience, I have downloaded scripts off the internet that wouldn't work, but as soon as I just modified all if the msgbox's to callstd afterwards, they did work. So, that's just where I figured XSE couldn't do it the other way. Maybe it's just mine.

Edit: Jambo, I would like to apoligize. I was using 1.0.0, not 1.1.1. I confirmed that inline msg comands do not work in 1.0.0. However, once I learned that I had an old version, I downloaded the new one and the inline commands worked just fine. Thanks for making me think about this one or I never would have updated.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by dalekcaan1963 View Post
      I'm trying to make some custom moves, I won't need to make any new animations but I do need to change their sprites (for example, making signal beam blue instead of pink). How do I do this?

Also, would it be possible for me to duplicate a move? I want there to be more than one signal beam move, one normal and one blue.

Here is what Jambo51 has documented on adding new moves: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=263479
      Here is what Chaos Rush has documented on move animations: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=281520

Now, if you wanted to edit the color, you could just open up Un-lz, find the image that corresponds to the animation and alter it's palette. I would make a new palette because there is no guarantee that something else is not using that palette.

However, having two moves with two different colors is tougher. You would need to take the image you found above, write down it's pointer, then take and edit it into a different color and insert it and it's new palette into some free space, making sure to write down it's new offset. Now, using both Jambo's and Chaos' tutorials/research, make a new move and copy all of the data from signal beam into the new slot. Now, change the graphic pointer to match the location of the new image and you should be all set.

If I am wrong in any way about this, someone please correct me.

Paired with Simba
      Old January 16th, 2013 (12:05 PM).

Hi everyone and thanks to Karatekid for reply in the script topic.

I need to change the image of badges, those that appear in the trainer card.

I'm hacking Ruby and i don't have found into unzl the correct numbers for these sprites.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot
        Old January 16th, 2013 (1:16 PM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by QuartierGenerale View Post
          Hi everyone and thanks to Karatekid for reply in the script topic.

I need to change the image of badges, those that appear in the trainer card.

I'm hacking Ruby and i don't have found into unzl the correct numbers for these sprites.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot

Took me a while, but I found them! They aren't conpressed graphics and therefore are not found in Un-lz. However, if you open up Tile Molester, they can be found at the offset 0x3B5AB8.

Paired with Simba
          Old January 16th, 2013 (2:29 PM). Edited January 16th, 2013 by L0tus64.

So in advanced map I'm trying to make some rooms for the houses in one of the towns. I'm just using the list of rooms that went with the original town map but i noticed three of the rooms i cant alter individuality. if i change one they all change the same way. Is there a way i can change that so that i can make them all individual? I'm still new to rom hacking so sorry if this is an easy fix and i just don't know how :p also is there a way i can look through all the tilesets or can i only look at them individuality through the header?
            Old January 16th, 2013 (2:40 PM).
            -

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Manganum View Post
              A couple of things using XSE in conjunction with Advance Map - all I want to be able to do is edit existing game dialogue, but A-text is far too buggy. Anyway:
              Why can't I save existing scripts that I've changed one or two words in? I can only click Save As; I can't save the actual ROM.
              I'm fairly new to this, despite having an interest in ROM hacking for a few years, but it's only recently that I've actually had the incentive...
              What you have to do is click the 'Compile' button in XSE. If I remember correctly (I used it the other day but don't keep notice of these things) it's a little gear graphic. You can also do it from the menu I think.

Just remember, if you're altering the existing dialogue, keep in mind that if you make a message that is larger then the original, chances are you will break the script or it will continue in another persons dialogue.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by L0tus64 View Post
              So in advanced map I'm trying to make some rooms for the houses in one of the towns. I'm just using the list of rooms that went with the original town map but i noticed three of the rooms i cant alter individuality. if i change one they all change the same way. Is there a way i can change that so that i can make them all individual? I'm still new to rom hacking so sorry if this is an easy fix and i just don't know how :p also is there a way i can look through all the pallets or can i only look at them individuality through the header?
              I've noticed this as well, however I haven't really looked into it. I can explain though (I think). All the maps ARE the same map, they've done this so that all they need to do is alter the person/script data of the maps when you enter into a different house instead of creating the same map again and wasting space. You should be able to just make yourself a new map in Advance Map.
              Old January 16th, 2013 (2:44 PM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by L0tus64 View Post
                So in advanced map I'm trying to make some rooms for the houses in one of the towns. I'm just using the list of rooms that went with the original town map but i noticed three of the rooms i cant alter individuality. if i change one they all change the same way. Is there a way i can change that so that i can make them all individual? I'm still new to rom hacking so sorry if this is an easy fix and i just don't know how :p also is there a way i can look through all the tilesets or can i only look at them individuality through the header?
                The easiest way, would be to open up one of the maps and click insert map at the top. Then, creat a new map bank and put it in there. I've had problems with expanding the origional map banks before, so it's safest just to put it in a new one.

Basically, your just copying the map to a new slot that isn't linked to the others. Remeber to change all of the warps and scripts over.

Paired with Simba
                Old January 16th, 2013 (2:49 PM).

Ok thank you guys :3 that helps alot
                  Old January 16th, 2013 (8:12 PM).

Wichu made a decapitalization patch for Emerald, but the download link is broken. Does anyone know where a more up-to-date download is?
                    Old January 17th, 2013 (10:30 AM).

Does anyone know how to fix the Advance Map problem with the wild pokemon data where ti freaks out and anytime you change to a different map it will say its not a pointer adn then not save your wild pokemon data?
                      I know i shouldnt have done this, but a while back i set the encounter rate to 0 at mt moon on FR, then it started doing that, so i just remade the same map somewhere else and havent touched the original mt moon. now im trying to edit it somewhere else, and its having the same pointer problem, even though i didnt mess with the encounter rate. Does anyone know how to fix this?
                      Old January 17th, 2013 (10:46 AM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
                        Does anyone know how to fix the Advance Map problem with the wild pokemon data where ti freaks out and anytime you change to a different map it will say its not a pointer adn then not save your wild pokemon data?
                        I know i shouldnt have done this, but a while back i set the encounter rate to 0 at mt moon on FR, then it started doing that, so i just remade the same map somewhere else and havent touched the original mt moon. now im trying to edit it somewhere else, and its having the same pointer problem, even though i didnt mess with the encounter rate. Does anyone know how to fix this?
                        You know how when you add a new section to the wild data how it automatically makes a new pointer? Take a look at those and make sure they are pointers and not something glitched. This is my guess from your descriptions. The only error I get is the I/O 32 error, but that hasn't caused much of a problem after a restart.

Paired with Simba
                        Old January 17th, 2013 (10:51 AM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                          You know how when you add a new section to the wild data how it automatically makes a new pointer? Take a look at those and make sure they are pointers and not something glitched. This is my guess from your descriptions. The only error I get is the I/O 32 error, but that hasn't caused much of a problem after a restart.
                          Well, the new mt moon has been fine, but the error from the original one i think may be affecting the rest of the maps. Cause now the same error is starting to happen in other cities. for me it says its error 5
                          Old January 17th, 2013 (2:15 PM).

How do I give the player the sevii island maps?
                            Old January 17th, 2013 (3:09 PM).

Quote:
                              Well, the new mt moon has been fine, but the error from the original one i think may be affecting the rest of the maps. Cause now the same error is starting to happen in other cities. for me it says its error 5
                              I'm sorry, I honestly don't know much about amap errors. I was just giving a guess based on the message. My best bet is that somewhere linked into wold battle settings, a pointer is missing or broken. I personally would contack LU-HO, and ask him. Maybe even ask him if he has a list of error messages and their fixes. That would be nice as noone seems to have one.

LU-HO's address is [email protected] Good luck.

Paired with Simba
                              Old January 17th, 2013 (3:13 PM).

i am new to rom hacking so i watched this video(youtube dot com slash watch?v=4tm4vZd0jQo). i did everything exactly the way he did, but for some reason, instead of the guy talking the game froze. any ideas.
                                Old January 17th, 2013 (3:15 PM). Edited January 17th, 2013 by Manganum.
                                Your local sine wave

Nature: Calm
                                  I'm having a bit of trouble with the APE. I'm trying to load a 16-bit .pal exported from IrfanView, but I'm continuously getting an "Invalid palette loaded!" error. Any attempts to load a palette after this error cause the program to crash.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, can anyone help me out?

EDIT: Incidentally, what's the palette offset for the "Press Start" image on FR's titlescreen?

The Music

Pendulum - The Terminal
                                  Danny Byrd - Ill Behavior
                                  Netsky - Love Has Gone

The Projects

Unnamed DnB project
                                  Composition for rehearsals

The Inspiration

Pendulum
                                  Blackmill
                                  Enter Shikari

Old January 17th, 2013 (3:22 PM).

Quote:
                                    I'm sorry, I honestly don't know much about amap errors. I was just giving a guess based on the message. My best bet is that somewhere linked into wold battle settings, a pointer is missing or broken. I personally would contack LU-HO, and ask him. Maybe even ask him if he has a list of error messages and their fixes. That would be nice as noone seems to have one.

LU-HO's address is [email protected]. Good luck.
                                    Yeah, I sent him an email, im hoping hell reply soon. Thanks though.
                                    Would anyone also happen to know how to transfer old Amap creations from one ROM save to another? Cause I have some older maps that I want to put into my hack without having to go through the trouble of completely recreating them.
                                    Old January 17th, 2013 (3:26 PM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by captnotatroll View Post
                                      How do I give the player the sevii island maps?
                                      I tested it through some warp changes just after the beginning of the game and he already has it. At least the first three islands, but I'm guessing it'll work the same for the rest.

Quote:
                                      Yeah, I sent him an email, im hoping hell reply soon. Thanks though.
                                      Would anyone also happen to know how to transfer old Amap creations from one ROM save to another? Cause I have some older maps that I want to put into my hack without having to go through the trouble of completely recreating them.
                                      Make sure the two places have the exact same tiles. Then, File->Map->Save map as. Then open up the new game and select Open map... instead. Make sure to insert the map after you open it.

Paired with Simba
                                      Old January 17th, 2013 (3:32 PM).

Quote:
                                        I tested it through some warp changes just after the beginning of the game and he already has it. At least the first three islands, but I'm guessing it'll work the same for the rest.

Make sure the two places have the exact same tiles. Then, File->Map->Save map as. Then open up the new game and select Open map... instead. Make sure to insert the map after you open it.
                                        Would anything bad happen if there were custom tiles in one map, but not the original? would it mess up my game or just have weird mixed tiles where the custom ones would be?
                                        also, what would happen if i had events on the old maps? i noticed the script tiles and npcs are also inserted along with their scripts. does that mean the scripts have been compiled into the memory for the game?
                                        Old January 17th, 2013 (3:35 PM).

Quote:
                                          Would anything bad happen if there were custom tiles in one map, but not the original? would it mess up my game or just have weird mixed tiles where the custom ones would be?
                                          It saves the tiles by number. If you changed tile 0x24B, it is going to load the new tile from the set already in the game. So, yeah, weird mixed tiles.

Paired with Simba
                                          Old January 17th, 2013 (3:55 PM).
                                          Your local sine wave

Location: Brutal Techno Rage Aquarium
                                            Nature: Calm
                                            Quote:
                                            I'm having a bit of trouble with the APE. I'm trying to load a 16-bit .pal exported from IrfanView, but I'm continuously getting an "Invalid palette loaded!" error. Any attempts to load a palette after this error cause the program to crash.

EDIT: Incidentally, what's the palette offset for the "Press Start" image on FR's titlescreen?
                                            Disregard this, I just opened APE's colour picker and manually edited the palette. Seemed to work apart from a slight graphical error, nothing big though!

Now, who knows the offsets for both the "Fire Red Version" logo and the Charizard sprite?

The Music

Pendulum - The Terminal
                                            Danny Byrd - Ill Behavior
                                            Netsky - Love Has Gone

The Projects

Unnamed DnB project
                                            Composition for rehearsals

The Inspiration

Pendulum
                                            Blackmill
                                            Enter Shikari

Old January 17th, 2013 (4:07 PM). Edited January 17th, 2013 by karatekid552.
                                            karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline

Quote:
                                              Quote:

Disregard this, I just opened APE's colour picker and manually edited the palette. Seemed to work apart from a slight graphical error, nothing big though!

Now, who knows the offsets for both the "Fire Red Version" logo and the Charizard sprite?
                                              Several tutorials, including this one which only does the charizard. I'll find the text in a sec:
                                              http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=196269

It also has a solution to your APE problem.

Found the title pallete. You know you can find palletes using the pallete view in VBA, right? I can teach you if you wish. The offset is EAB844 and is is not compressed.

Paired with Simba
                                              Old January 17th, 2013 (4:59 PM). Edited January 17th, 2013 by Darkrai Lv.1000.
                                              Darkrai Lv.1000 Darkrai Lv.1000 is offline
                                              Has a tendency to figure things out

Location: On an island with Hakaze
                                                Nature: Quirky
                                                In my process of adding new moves to my Ruby hack, I still have one problem:

How would I go about giving these moves their own descriptions? :/
                                                Old January 17th, 2013 (5:36 PM).
                                                PKMN rom maker and hacker

K, so im making a pokemon xd gale of darkness hack for gba...
                                                  HOWEVER!
                                                  I know I have asked this already But, Does anyone know how I could Put in catchable shadow pokemon that trainers send out.. And they have thier own pallette?? PLS PLS PLS PLS ANSWER!!

Pokemon Dust version GBA hack
                                                  This will be created By my team.
                                                  Team: Shadow Pokemon.

Thizz ready for epicness.
                                                  Old January 17th, 2013 (7:05 PM).
                                                  captnotatroll captnotatroll is offline

Quote:
                                                    It works for allowing you to see the map, but you have to do some specific event for the little icon that lets you toggle between the maps to show up.

Also I'm not totally sure how to edit which map a location shows up in (meaning which map it defaults to showing when you use the town map item). Is there a way to edit this or is it hard-coded which maps go where into the ROM and we have to edit around that?
                                                    Closed Thread

Quick Reply