ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old January 17th, 2013 (8:20 PM).
PKMN rom maker and hacker

Ok so, Karatekid522 and i were figuring out a way we could do shadow pokemon!
    And I thought of an idea that might Just work!

#dynamic 0x700000

#org @begin
    trainerbattle 0x3 0x001 0x0 @intro @defeat
    msgbox @afterwards
    callstd msg_normal
    special 0x187
    compare LASTRESULT 2
    if == jump 0x81A7AE0
    special 0x188
    lock
    faceplayer
    pause 0x14
    playsound 0x156 0x0
    battle TAILLOW 5 RARECANDY
    setflag 0x807
    special 0x138
    waitspecial
    clearflag 0x807
    special2 0x800D 0xB4
    compare LASTRESULT 1
    if == jump 0x8162558
    compare LASTRESULT 4
    if == jump 0x8162561
    compare LASTRESULT 5
    if == jump 0x8162561
    setflag 0x200
    end
    #org @intro
    = I will defeat you!

#org @defeat
    = You're in for it!

#org @afterwards
    = Face the wrath of my shadow pokemon!!!

What I've tried to do is to make a normal trainerbattle, Then add a wild pokemon at the end.. With a message (Face the wrath of my shadow pokemon!!!!)
    Just improvising.. This worked
    However we had a few errors
    error 1: You can escape pokemon wild battles!!! So we found an ability that keeps you within the battle, this was (Arena trap! ability of trapinch)

(We couldnt fix this one) PLS HELP US HERE!
    Error 2
    it says wild pokemon taillow appeared
    Is there a way you can modify what it says.. That way it would look like it said Shadow pokemon tailow appeared??? Pls answer soon!!!

Pokemon Dust version GBA hack
    This will be created By my team.
    Team: Shadow Pokemon.

Thizz ready for epicness.

Relevant Advertising!

Old January 17th, 2013 (8:42 PM).

Does anyone know of a simple way to change the intro with Professor Oak such that instead of being asked for the Rival's name and being asked if I'm sure and then showing the textbox after that where it says, "Now I remember, etc." I would just be able to show the picture of the rival, introduce him with a prescribed name and then skip those parts with naming him and the following text until it goes into the "Journey about to unfold" bit? If I need to clarify let me know, thanks.
      Old January 18th, 2013 (2:48 AM).

I'm trying to do something that I assume will be very complex; pokemon have new names/ appearances/ moves ect, moves will be sometimes duplicated with their stats, effects and appearances changed, a totally new map (preferably with custom drawn squares), my own placed trainers with their own pokemon, a few different pokemon leagues, ect.

I understand this will likely be very very difficult and I'm very new to this stuff, so where would you recommend I go to learn the basics, and beyond? I want to know where to go to become a Pokemon master ;D
        Old January 18th, 2013 (2:50 AM). Edited January 18th, 2013 by QuartierGenerale.

Quote:
          Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
          Took me a while, but I found them! They aren't conpressed graphics and therefore are not found in Un-lz. However, if you open up Tile Molester, they can be found at the offset 0x3B5AB8.
          Wow thank you very much. I try

EDIT: Ok, i have a problem: i've opened vba for exporting palette. So i go in my trainer card with at least one medal, go to Tools->Palette Viewer->Save Obj and than press on Save.

After, in TM, i go to Palette->Import->Another file and i nav to the folder where there is a .pal file. The navigator of TM don't show me this file. If i write in the filename box manually obj.pal, TM doesn't say me "The file is not found", but the palette it load is completely gray.

Any help?

thanks a lot
          Old January 18th, 2013 (3:53 AM). Edited January 18th, 2013 by karatekid552.
          What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Darkrai Lv.1000 View Post
            In my process of adding new moves to my Ruby hack, I still have one problem:

How would I go about giving these moves their own descriptions? :/
            Aren't descriptions point able in PGE? I believe so, so just write up the description in XSE using only \n and compile it (look at other move descriptions to see the character limit) then type the offset in in PGE as the description pointer.

Will look like this:

#Dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
            = Hey, this is my new\nattck description!

I'm assuming that if you're using PGE, you've edited the .ini for your new banks you needed to make to expand.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by captnotatroll View Post
            It works for allowing you to see the map, but you have to do some specific event for the little icon that lets you toggle between the maps to show up.

Also I'm not totally sure how to edit which map a location shows up in (meaning which map it defaults to showing when you use the town map item). Is there a way to edit this or is it hard-coded which maps go where into the ROM and we have to edit around that?
            Don't know about the second one, but the first is just flags. Sorry that I was confused with what you wanted, I haven't used the Town Map in a while. Anyway, the flag for the 2nd set of island is 0x846. I'll find the other one and post it later today.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by dalekcaan1963 View Post
            I'm trying to do something that I assume will be very complex; pokemon have new names/ appearances/ moves ect, moves will be sometimes duplicated with their stats, effects and appearances changed, a totally new map (preferably with custom drawn squares), my own placed trainers with their own pokemon, a few different pokemon leagues, ect.

I understand this will likely be very very difficult and I'm very new to this stuff, so where would you recommend I go to learn the basics, and beyond? I want to know where to go to become a Pokemon master ;D
            Youtube and the tutorials section my friend, that and just plain experimenting is how I learned. Also, when you get pretty good, the research and development section can have a lot to offer too. Move animations will be tough, but there is quite a bit documented on a thread by Chaos Rush, just so you know. Good Luck!

Paired with Simba
            Old January 18th, 2013 (11:41 AM).
            Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Quirky
              Quote:
              Aren't descriptions point able in PGE? I believe so, so just write up the description in XSE using only \n and compile it (look at other move descriptions to see the character limit) then type the offset in in PGE as the description pointer.

Will look like this:

#Dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
              = Hey, this is my new\nattck description!

I'm assuming that if you're using PGE, you've edited the .ini for your new banks you needed to make to expand.
              Yeah, this is what I did a while back, and ended up going past the character limit for each line, and they all ended up looking funny. xD

I'll take a look at line limits and try again. And yes, the .ini has been edited to fit my attacks and stuff. Thanks man!
              Old January 18th, 2013 (12:03 PM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Darkrai Lv.1000 View Post
                Yeah, this is what I did a while back, and ended up going past the character limit for each line, and they all ended up looking funny. xD

I'll take a look at line limits and try again. And yes, the .ini has been edited to fit my attacks and stuff. Thanks man!
                Your welcome, I just looked quick and it appears the character limits for Ruby is about 26 and in FireRed it is about 19. You have two lines to work with in Ruby and four in FireRed. I believe that the characters are not fixed (example 8 "D"'s will take up more room than 8 "I"'s) so watch out for that as it will change you limit.

Also, all lines are seperated by \n, no \l or \p here.

Paired with Simba
                Old January 18th, 2013 (1:38 PM).

When I insert saved maps on Advance Map that I've made in the past, it'll save just fine, but then when I try to go to the next area (from Pallet Town to Route 1) the border block from Pallet is cutting off the path with trees that I can't get past, but then when I check the connections, it looks perfectly fine. Can someone help me out?
                  Old January 18th, 2013 (5:47 PM).

I'm looking to isolate how FireRed makes the "previously on your quest" in black and white. This way, we could use it in other things from making flashbacks to making a whole hack about restoring color. How would I go about trying to do that?

I know that there are several special commands that it uses to make the "previously on your quest", but I haven't been able to find where it is in the rom by searching for them. Any help is welcome, even if it's just a guess.

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
                    When I insert saved maps on Advance Map that I've made in the past, it'll save just fine, but then when I try to go to the next area (from Pallet Town to Route 1) the border block from Pallet is cutting off the path with trees that I can't get past, but then when I check the connections, it looks perfectly fine. Can someone help me out?

I've had this problem before once or twice, never quite figured out what caused it, but I ended up just creating a new map bank and transfering those maps into there and it worked fine.

Paired with Simba
                    Old January 18th, 2013 (5:53 PM).
                    Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                    • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
                    Quote:
                    I'm looking to isolate how FireRed makes the "previously on your quest" in black and white. This way, we could use it in other things from making flashbacks to making a whole hack about restoring color. How would I go about trying to do that?

I know that there are several special commands that it uses to make the "previously on your quest", but I haven't been able to find where it is in the rom by searching for them. Any help is welcome, even if it's just a guess.
                    We already know how to change the overworld palettes into a greyscale or sepia configuration so if you're looking for how to do that then the beginning of this tutorial will be very useful.
                    Old January 18th, 2013 (6:14 PM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
                      We already know how to change the overworld palettes into a greyscale or sepia configuration so if you're looking for how to do that then the beginning of this tutorial will be very useful.
                      I have been searching everywhere for "monochrome", "black and white" and so on, but it never crossed my mind to search for greyscale. Thank you so much Dr. Fuji!

Paired with Simba
                      Old January 18th, 2013 (6:15 PM).

Quote:

I've had this problem before once or twice, never quite figured out what caused it, but I ended up just creating a new map bank and transfering those maps into there and it worked fine.
                        Would I have to do that with every single map though? Or did it just happen to a few?
                        Old January 18th, 2013 (6:27 PM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Krika View Post
                          Right. I know that there is a patch somewhere for Emerald that makes all the Pokemon names (and possibly moves and abilities, I don't remember all that well) all in titlecase (so Pikachu instead of PIKACHU). I cannot find it again.

Does anyone have any idea where it might have hidden itself?
                          Umm....I know that I don't have any sort of fancy sig or anything that draws attention to my posts, but can I get an answer? Somebody has to have this, or know where I can find it.
                          Old January 18th, 2013 (7:53 PM). Edited January 19th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
                            Would I have to do that with every single map though? Or did it just happen to a few?
                            Just the ones with the problems. There is probobly a better fix, but I don't know it and as long as you aren't tight on space in your rom, it shouldn't be too bad.

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Krika View Post
                            Umm....I know that I don't have any sort of fancy sig or anything that draws attention to my posts, but can I get an answer? Somebody has to have this, or know where I can find it.

You do realize that we answer these questions out of our own free will because we want to, right? You also realize that we are not payed to do this, we just like helping people, right? You also realize that a mod should have deleted your post because it is against the rules to demand answers, right?

Now that we have an understanding and can talk civilly,
                            we did not ignore your post. We just have no clue an therefore didn't answer. I know that when HackMew left the scene (hoping he will return) he took down his website and now all of his links are broken. The same could have happened with the emerald patch. It's not difficult to make one like it, just time consuming. Maybe, since you need one so bad, you should make one and share it with all of us.

Sorry for the sarcasm, things like this get to me.

Paired with Simba
                            Old January 18th, 2013 (8:55 PM).

Nature: Quirky
                              I'm hacking fire red, and at some point something went wrong with the route 4/cerulean connection or something like that.

Most of the time you can cross between the two just fine, but if you enter mt moon (or in my hack, the seafoam islands cave is there), and then return to route 4, the game freezes near the water headed back to cerulean. I've also seen similar things in other hacks...anyone know what's going on?

Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
                              Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

Old January 19th, 2013 (5:51 AM).

I am hacking emerald and I am currently making a really big city. I wanted to make the map 100x100 tiles, but Advance map said that the max heigt at a map width of 100 is 75, so I tried making 4 maps of 50x50 tiles. I made the connections and movement permissions and it all looked like it worked.

But when I walk in from 1 of the 4 maps into another one of them, the tiles of the connected maps change to the border blocks, and you can't walk over those tiles. they disappear if you walk away, but then different tiles appear...

has anyone an idea how I can fix this?
                                Old January 19th, 2013 (8:23 AM).

How do I make an npc "initially" hidden?
                                  Just like professor Oak in Pallet Town (3.0) where he only shows up and stop you when you try to walk outside the town but he is actually in the center when you see it in Advance Map....
                                  Old January 19th, 2013 (8:32 AM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by aadritch View Post
                                    How do I make an npc "initially" hidden?
                                    Just like professor Oak in Pallet Town (3.0) where he only shows up and stop you when you try to walk outside the town but he is actually in the center when you see it in Advance Map....
                                    Before the player ever has a chance of encountering the npc, have a flag set. Set this same flag # as the person id in amap. The npc will be hidden until that flag is cleared.

Paired with Simba
                                    Old January 19th, 2013 (11:37 AM).

Nature: Adamant
                                      I asked this almost a year ago and no one knew, so I figure I'll ask again:

Does anyone know where the nature values for editing the stats are stored or how to go about finding them? I know where the nature names are stored and how to change them. I also know there's a weird spot behind them, at 463e60, with a very similar repeating pattern, but the number of them don't seem to match up to the number of natures. It goes something like:

Quote:
                                      __ 3D 46 08
                                      with the blank a different value. Then it changes 3D to 3E after awhile. I also think that 08 is jumpstd, but 3D and 3E I have no idea what they're for (although the program I'm using translate them as = and > respectively, but it didn't translate the nature names correctly, so grain of salt).
                                      Old January 19th, 2013 (11:48 AM).

Nature: Timid
                                        Hello all
                                        I really need some help but Honestly I seem to have made no friends in here to ask for some. So I am asking the community..
                                        I did my research on XSE and am getting really good at it, so I started learning about mapping on a more in depth scale, but have come to a halt. I am understanding how to load new tiles and change palletes, but what is bothering me is I have tried for a day and a half to figure out how to make Bridges to work in FR. I understand what movement permissions do but I can't for the life of me get my character to walk under the bridge. I read that the tiles behavior byte must be 08 00 but that didn't work so I tried to one in Ruby, That didn't work. I have read the what I can find on the subject of "Bridges in Fire Red" and do what they say step by step and still get no result... So what I need to know if someone could help me is step by step in detail how to set up bridges in Fire Red . Like if I need specific tiles for the briges, what behavior byte is for brigde tiles, and if it needs a backround byte???

tools being used-
                                        Advance Map 1.92
                                        Paint
                                        Photoshop
                                        X.S.E
                                        IrfanView
                                        and others

Many credits to their makers
                                        and to those who keep this community toghether
                                        Old January 19th, 2013 (11:51 AM).

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by romancandle View Post
                                          I asked this almost a year ago and no one knew, so I figure I'll ask again:

Does anyone know where the nature values for editing the stats are stored or how to go about finding them? I know where the nature names are stored and how to change them. I also know there's a weird spot behind them, at 463e60, with a very similar repeating pattern, but the number of them don't seem to match up to the number of natures. It goes something like:

with the blank a different value. Then it changes 3D to 3E after awhile. I also think that 08 is jumpstd, but 3D and 3E I have no idea what they're for (although the program I'm using translate them as = and > respectively, but it didn't translate the nature names correctly, so grain of salt).
                                          Your "very similar repeating pattern" is a pointer table. When hex editing, you'll eventually notice that numbers are stored in reverse byte order. So, a pointer to the location 8 46 3E 60 would look like 60 3E 46 08. Remember, that the info in the rom is under the label of 08. Ram offsets would be in the in other labels such as 02 and 03.

I don't know much about natures but, their info will be stored in a table like the one you've experienced, where each pointer will point to the stats that are affected.

Paired with Simba
                                          Old January 19th, 2013 (11:56 AM).

Quote:
                                            Your "very similar repeating pattern" is a pointer table. When hex editing, you'll eventually notice that numbers are stored in reverse byte order. So, a pointer to the location 8 46 3E 60 would look like 60 3E 46 08. Remember, that the info in the rom is under the label of 08. Ram offsets would be in the in other labels such as 02 and 03.

I don't know much about natures but, their info will be stored in a table like the one you've experienced, where each pointer will point to the stats that are affected.
                                            Ohhh, I see. I wasn't aware of them. So this table seems to be completely unrelated, then. Any idea what I should look for, them? Like, the hex numbers of the stats?
                                            Old January 19th, 2013 (12:00 PM).
                                            Free supporter
                                            • Silver Tier

Quote:

In this post, what are the differences between "labels" and pointers? I assume you mean variable names when you say labels?

As for the question:
                                            bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokemon_data_structure_in_Generation_III#Personality_value
                                            To successfully edit would require ASM I'd think (though maybe there is a way to do it in hex).
                                            If you scroll down, you'd find that the offset is at 0x02024284 in FireRed.

--EDIT--
                                            I lied, I don't think there is a way to do it in hex. Unless you want to standardize a specific nature to a specific breed (then again I know nothing ).
                                            Old January 19th, 2013 (12:08 PM).

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
                                              In this post, what are the differences between "labels" and pointers? I assume you mean variable names when you say labels?

As for the question:
                                              bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokemon_data_structure_in_Generation_III#Personality_value
                                              To successfully edit would require ASM I'd think (though maybe there is a way to do it in hex).

--EDIT--
                                              I lied, I don't think there is a way to do it in hex. Unless you want to standardize a specific nature to a specific breed (then again I know nothing ).
                                              Thanks! I'll check it out.
                                              Old January 19th, 2013 (12:14 PM). Edited January 19th, 2013 by karatekid552.
                                              karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline

Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post

As for the question:

--EDIT--
                                                When I said labels, I meant that it is labeled as. If you open uo the memory in vba, it shows the ram. 00 is BIOS, 02 is WRAM, 03 is IRAM, and so on. When you get to 08, this is the actual rom. By putting 08 in a pointer, you are telling the engine that the pointer is going to the rom and not another place in the ram. I called it a label, because it's like a number equivilant of the label "rom".

The location you showed is in the ram. What was being asked is how to change it in the rom so that later it can be used by the game. If it is only changed in the ram, you would most likely have to change those values each time you loaded the game.

Edit:
                                                Now that I followed the link, that is the data structure for a stored team or the pokemon in your pc. By changing the nature there, you would only change what nature that party pokemon had. It's also encrypted, though JPAN has a nice long post on how to work with it.

Romancandle: If you feel like scrolling through the entire rom, look for a pointer table that is only 25 or 26 pointers long. Don't know if it will have a nature at 0 so that would make the table one pointer longer. The table you encountered might be related if it is indeed the proper length. You would just follow the pointer, though I fear it is much more complicated and probobly involves an asm routine at the other end of the pointer.

Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by DarkPsychic View Post
                                                Hello all
                                                I really need some help but Honestly I seem to have made no friends in here to ask for some. So I am asking the community..
                                                I did my research on XSE and am getting really good at it, so I started learning about mapping on a more in depth scale, but have come to a halt. I am understanding how to load new tiles and change palletes, but what is bothering me is I have tried for a day and a half to figure out how to make Bridges to work in FR. I understand what movement permissions do but I can't for the life of me get my character to walk under the bridge. I read that the tiles behavior byte must be 08 00 but that didn't work so I tried to one in Ruby, That didn't work. I have read the what I can find on the subject of "Bridges in Fire Red" and do what they say step by step and still get no result... So what I need to know if someone could help me is step by step in detail how to set up bridges in Fire Red . Like if I need specific tiles for the briges, what behavior byte is for brigde tiles, and if it needs a backround byte???

tools being used-
                                                Advance Map 1.92
                                                Paint
                                                Photoshop
                                                X.S.E
                                                IrfanView
                                                and others

Many credits to their makers
                                                and to those who keep this community toghether
                                                http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616

This tutorial by link12552 has a very good explanation of bridges near the end. Here is the quote in the spoiler:

Spoiler:
                                                ___________________________________________________

Creating Bridges

Some people have a lot of trouble when it comes to making bridges, so here is an explanation.

A bridges movement permission is 3c. There must be 10's though, at the ends, to show the bridges' elevation.

The next part is what usually confuses people. The actual bridge tile's behavior has to be set to 08 00 for overland brdiges or 70 00 for bridges over water.

Over Land Bridge Example:

___________________________________________________

Paired with Simba
                                                Closed Thread

Quick Reply