ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #23551    
Old January 18th, 2013 (6:27 PM).
Krika Krika is offline
     
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krika View Post
    Right. I know that there is a patch somewhere for Emerald that makes all the Pokemon names (and possibly moves and abilities, I don't remember all that well) all in titlecase (so Pikachu instead of PIKACHU). I cannot find it again.

    Does anyone have any idea where it might have hidden itself?
    Umm....I know that I don't have any sort of fancy sig or anything that draws attention to my posts, but can I get an answer? Somebody has to have this, or know where I can find it.

    Relevant Advertising!

      #23552    
    Old January 18th, 2013 (7:53 PM). Edited January 19th, 2013 by karatekid552.
    karatekid552's Avatar
    karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
    What happens if I push it?....
       
      Join Date: Nov 2012
      Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Bold
      Posts: 1,766
      Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
      Would I have to do that with every single map though? Or did it just happen to a few?
      Just the ones with the problems. There is probobly a better fix, but I don't know it and as long as you aren't tight on space in your rom, it shouldn't be too bad.


      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Krika View Post
      Umm....I know that I don't have any sort of fancy sig or anything that draws attention to my posts, but can I get an answer? Somebody has to have this, or know where I can find it.

      You do realize that we answer these questions out of our own free will because we want to, right? You also realize that we are not payed to do this, we just like helping people, right? You also realize that a mod should have deleted your post because it is against the rules to demand answers, right?

      Now that we have an understanding and can talk civilly,
      we did not ignore your post. We just have no clue an therefore didn't answer. I know that when HackMew left the scene (hoping he will return) he took down his website and now all of his links are broken. The same could have happened with the emerald patch. It's not difficult to make one like it, just time consuming. Maybe, since you need one so bad, you should make one and share it with all of us.

      Sorry for the sarcasm, things like this get to me.
      __________________

      Paired with Simba
        #23553    
      Old January 18th, 2013 (8:55 PM).
      Noossab Blue's Avatar
      Noossab Blue Noossab Blue is offline
         
        Join Date: Dec 2012
        Location: USA
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Quirky
        Posts: 241
        I'm hacking fire red, and at some point something went wrong with the route 4/cerulean connection or something like that.

        Most of the time you can cross between the two just fine, but if you enter mt moon (or in my hack, the seafoam islands cave is there), and then return to route 4, the game freezes near the water headed back to cerulean. I've also seen similar things in other hacks...anyone know what's going on?
        __________________
        IGN: Anna/Noossab Blue
        3DS FC: 3196 3609 8450

        Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
        Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

          #23554    
        Old January 19th, 2013 (5:51 AM).
        Pietdagamer Pietdagamer is offline
           
          Join Date: Jan 2013
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 1
          I am hacking emerald and I am currently making a really big city. I wanted to make the map 100x100 tiles, but Advance map said that the max heigt at a map width of 100 is 75, so I tried making 4 maps of 50x50 tiles. I made the connections and movement permissions and it all looked like it worked.

          But when I walk in from 1 of the 4 maps into another one of them, the tiles of the connected maps change to the border blocks, and you can't walk over those tiles. they disappear if you walk away, but then different tiles appear...

          has anyone an idea how I can fix this?
          __________________
          http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemoncotp/ <-- visit for my opcoming Pokemon Emerald ROM hack: Pokémon Clash of the Profs!
            #23555    
          Old January 19th, 2013 (8:23 AM).
          aadritch aadritch is offline
             
            Join Date: Feb 2012
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 3
            How do I make an npc "initially" hidden?
            Just like professor Oak in Pallet Town (3.0) where he only shows up and stop you when you try to walk outside the town but he is actually in the center when you see it in Advance Map....
              #23556    
            Old January 19th, 2013 (8:32 AM).
            karatekid552's Avatar
            karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
            What happens if I push it?....
               
              Join Date: Nov 2012
              Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Bold
              Posts: 1,766
              Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by aadritch View Post
              How do I make an npc "initially" hidden?
              Just like professor Oak in Pallet Town (3.0) where he only shows up and stop you when you try to walk outside the town but he is actually in the center when you see it in Advance Map....
              Before the player ever has a chance of encountering the npc, have a flag set. Set this same flag # as the person id in amap. The npc will be hidden until that flag is cleared.
              __________________

              Paired with Simba
                #23557    
              Old January 19th, 2013 (11:37 AM).
              romancandle romancandle is offline
                 
                Join Date: Oct 2009
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Adamant
                Posts: 72
                I asked this almost a year ago and no one knew, so I figure I'll ask again:

                Does anyone know where the nature values for editing the stats are stored or how to go about finding them? I know where the nature names are stored and how to change them. I also know there's a weird spot behind them, at 463e60, with a very similar repeating pattern, but the number of them don't seem to match up to the number of natures. It goes something like:

                Quote:
                __ 3D 46 08
                with the blank a different value. Then it changes 3D to 3E after awhile. I also think that 08 is jumpstd, but 3D and 3E I have no idea what they're for (although the program I'm using translate them as = and > respectively, but it didn't translate the nature names correctly, so grain of salt).
                  #23558    
                Old January 19th, 2013 (11:48 AM).
                DarkPsychic's Avatar
                DarkPsychic DarkPsychic is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Jul 2012
                  Location: CO
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Timid
                  Posts: 130
                  Hello all
                  I really need some help but Honestly I seem to have made no friends in here to ask for some. So I am asking the community..
                  I did my research on XSE and am getting really good at it, so I started learning about mapping on a more in depth scale, but have come to a halt. I am understanding how to load new tiles and change palletes, but what is bothering me is I have tried for a day and a half to figure out how to make Bridges to work in FR. I understand what movement permissions do but I can't for the life of me get my character to walk under the bridge. I read that the tiles behavior byte must be 08 00 but that didn't work so I tried to one in Ruby, That didn't work. I have read the what I can find on the subject of "Bridges in Fire Red" and do what they say step by step and still get no result... So what I need to know if someone could help me is step by step in detail how to set up bridges in Fire Red . Like if I need specific tiles for the briges, what behavior byte is for brigde tiles, and if it needs a backround byte???

                  tools being used-
                  Advance Map 1.92
                  Paint
                  Photoshop
                  X.S.E
                  IrfanView
                  and others

                  Many credits to their makers
                  and to those who keep this community toghether
                    #23559    
                  Old January 19th, 2013 (11:51 AM).
                  karatekid552's Avatar
                  karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                  What happens if I push it?....
                     
                    Join Date: Nov 2012
                    Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Bold
                    Posts: 1,766
                    Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by romancandle View Post
                    I asked this almost a year ago and no one knew, so I figure I'll ask again:

                    Does anyone know where the nature values for editing the stats are stored or how to go about finding them? I know where the nature names are stored and how to change them. I also know there's a weird spot behind them, at 463e60, with a very similar repeating pattern, but the number of them don't seem to match up to the number of natures. It goes something like:

                    with the blank a different value. Then it changes 3D to 3E after awhile. I also think that 08 is jumpstd, but 3D and 3E I have no idea what they're for (although the program I'm using translate them as = and > respectively, but it didn't translate the nature names correctly, so grain of salt).
                    Your "very similar repeating pattern" is a pointer table. When hex editing, you'll eventually notice that numbers are stored in reverse byte order. So, a pointer to the location 8 46 3E 60 would look like 60 3E 46 08. Remember, that the info in the rom is under the label of 08. Ram offsets would be in the in other labels such as 02 and 03.

                    I don't know much about natures but, their info will be stored in a table like the one you've experienced, where each pointer will point to the stats that are affected.
                    __________________

                    Paired with Simba
                      #23560    
                    Old January 19th, 2013 (11:56 AM).
                    romancandle romancandle is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Oct 2009
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Adamant
                      Posts: 72
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                      Your "very similar repeating pattern" is a pointer table. When hex editing, you'll eventually notice that numbers are stored in reverse byte order. So, a pointer to the location 8 46 3E 60 would look like 60 3E 46 08. Remember, that the info in the rom is under the label of 08. Ram offsets would be in the in other labels such as 02 and 03.

                      I don't know much about natures but, their info will be stored in a table like the one you've experienced, where each pointer will point to the stats that are affected.
                      Ohhh, I see. I wasn't aware of them. So this table seems to be completely unrelated, then. Any idea what I should look for, them? Like, the hex numbers of the stats?
                        #23561    
                      Old January 19th, 2013 (12:00 PM).
                      FBI's Avatar
                      FBI FBI is offline
                      Free supporter
                      • Silver Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Jan 2013
                      Location: Unknown Island
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 1,742
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                      Your "very similar repeating pattern" is a pointer table. When hex editing, you'll eventually notice that numbers are stored in reverse byte order. So, a pointer to the location 8 46 3E 60 would look like 60 3E 46 08. Remember, that the info in the rom is under the label of 08. Ram offsets would be in the in other labels such as 02 and 03.

                      I don't know much about natures but, their info will be stored in a table like the one you've experienced, where each pointer will point to the stats that are affected.
                      In this post, what are the differences between "labels" and pointers? I assume you mean variable names when you say labels?

                      As for the question:
                      bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokemon_data_structure_in_Generation_III#Personality_value
                      To successfully edit would require ASM I'd think (though maybe there is a way to do it in hex).
                      If you scroll down, you'd find that the offset is at 0x02024284 in FireRed.


                      --EDIT--
                      I lied, I don't think there is a way to do it in hex. Unless you want to standardize a specific nature to a specific breed (then again I know nothing ).
                        #23562    
                      Old January 19th, 2013 (12:08 PM).
                      romancandle romancandle is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Oct 2009
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Adamant
                        Posts: 72
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
                        In this post, what are the differences between "labels" and pointers? I assume you mean variable names when you say labels?

                        As for the question:
                        bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokemon_data_structure_in_Generation_III#Personality_value
                        To successfully edit would require ASM I'd think (though maybe there is a way to do it in hex).
                        If you scroll down, you'd find that the offset is at 0x02024284 in FireRed.


                        --EDIT--
                        I lied, I don't think there is a way to do it in hex. Unless you want to standardize a specific nature to a specific breed (then again I know nothing ).
                        Thanks! I'll check it out.
                          #23563    
                        Old January 19th, 2013 (12:14 PM). Edited January 19th, 2013 by karatekid552.
                        karatekid552's Avatar
                        karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                        What happens if I push it?....
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2012
                          Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Bold
                          Posts: 1,766
                          Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
                          In this post, what are the differences between "labels" and pointers? I assume you mean variable names when you say labels?

                          As for the question:
                          bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokemon_data_structure_in_Generation_III#Personality_value
                          To successfully edit would require ASM I'd think (though maybe there is a way to do it in hex).
                          If you scroll down, you'd find that the offset is at 0x02024284 in FireRed.


                          --EDIT--
                          I lied, I don't think there is a way to do it in hex. Unless you want to standardize a specific nature to a specific breed (then again I know nothing ).
                          When I said labels, I meant that it is labeled as. If you open uo the memory in vba, it shows the ram. 00 is BIOS, 02 is WRAM, 03 is IRAM, and so on. When you get to 08, this is the actual rom. By putting 08 in a pointer, you are telling the engine that the pointer is going to the rom and not another place in the ram. I called it a label, because it's like a number equivilant of the label "rom".

                          The location you showed is in the ram. What was being asked is how to change it in the rom so that later it can be used by the game. If it is only changed in the ram, you would most likely have to change those values each time you loaded the game.

                          Edit:
                          Now that I followed the link, that is the data structure for a stored team or the pokemon in your pc. By changing the nature there, you would only change what nature that party pokemon had. It's also encrypted, though JPAN has a nice long post on how to work with it.


                          Romancandle: If you feel like scrolling through the entire rom, look for a pointer table that is only 25 or 26 pointers long. Don't know if it will have a nature at 0 so that would make the table one pointer longer. The table you encountered might be related if it is indeed the proper length. You would just follow the pointer, though I fear it is much more complicated and probobly involves an asm routine at the other end of the pointer.

                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by DarkPsychic View Post
                          Hello all
                          I really need some help but Honestly I seem to have made no friends in here to ask for some. So I am asking the community..
                          I did my research on XSE and am getting really good at it, so I started learning about mapping on a more in depth scale, but have come to a halt. I am understanding how to load new tiles and change palletes, but what is bothering me is I have tried for a day and a half to figure out how to make Bridges to work in FR. I understand what movement permissions do but I can't for the life of me get my character to walk under the bridge. I read that the tiles behavior byte must be 08 00 but that didn't work so I tried to one in Ruby, That didn't work. I have read the what I can find on the subject of "Bridges in Fire Red" and do what they say step by step and still get no result... So what I need to know if someone could help me is step by step in detail how to set up bridges in Fire Red . Like if I need specific tiles for the briges, what behavior byte is for brigde tiles, and if it needs a backround byte???

                          tools being used-
                          Advance Map 1.92
                          Paint
                          Photoshop
                          X.S.E
                          IrfanView
                          and others

                          Many credits to their makers
                          and to those who keep this community toghether
                          http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616

                          This tutorial by link12552 has a very good explanation of bridges near the end. Here is the quote in the spoiler:

                          Spoiler:
                          ___________________________________________________

                          Creating Bridges

                          Some people have a lot of trouble when it comes to making bridges, so here is an explanation.

                          A bridges movement permission is 3c. There must be 10's though, at the ends, to show the bridges' elevation.



                          The next part is what usually confuses people. The actual bridge tile's behavior has to be set to 08 00 for overland brdiges or 70 00 for bridges over water.

                          Over Land Bridge Example:



                          ___________________________________________________
                          __________________

                          Paired with Simba
                            #23564    
                          Old January 19th, 2013 (12:28 PM).
                          FBI's Avatar
                          FBI FBI is offline
                          Free supporter
                          • Silver Tier
                           
                          Join Date: Jan 2013
                          Location: Unknown Island
                          Gender: Male
                          Posts: 1,742
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                          When I said labels, I meant that it is labeled as. If you open uo the memory in vba, it shows the ram. 00 is BIOS, 02 is WRAM, 03 is IRAM, and so on. When you get to 08, this is the actual rom. By putting 08 in a pointer, you are telling the engine that the pointer is going to the rom and not another place in the ram. I called it a label, because it's like a number equivilant of the label "rom".

                          The location you showed is in the ram. What was being asked is how to change it in the rom so that later it can be used by the game. If it is only changed in the ram, you would most likely have to change those values each time you loaded the game.
                          Ohh, alright makes sense now. I was kinda confused when you said label for the first time since technically variables themselves are pointers
                            #23565    
                          Old January 19th, 2013 (12:35 PM). Edited January 19th, 2013 by karatekid552.
                          karatekid552's Avatar
                          karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                          What happens if I push it?....
                             
                            Join Date: Nov 2012
                            Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Bold
                            Posts: 1,766
                            Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
                            Ohh, alright makes sense now. I was kinda confused when you said label for the first time since technically variables themselves are pointers
                            If you really think about, every single command is a pointer. Every command (except the ones that do nothing:D) points to some routine and the parameters you put after it guide it.

                            Also, when I use the term "label" unless I say otherwise, I'm mean it like everyday use, like the label on a can or the title at the top of a page.
                            __________________

                            Paired with Simba
                              #23566    
                            Old January 19th, 2013 (12:51 PM). Edited January 19th, 2013 by romancandle.
                            romancandle romancandle is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Oct 2009
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Adamant
                              Posts: 72
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post

                              Romancandle: If you feel like scrolling through the entire rom, look for a pointer table that is only 25 or 26 pointers long. Don't know if it will have a nature at 0 so that would make the table one pointer longer. The table you encountered might be related if it is indeed the proper length. You would just follow the pointer, though I fear it is much more complicated and probobly involves an asm routine at the other end of the pointer.

                              Is there any way to search for this stuff more quickly?

                              Also, the table AFTER the nature names just point back to it. Figures.

                              Edit: Eh, it's not worth the amount of effort. Changing the neutral natures into +HP just isn't worth it.
                                #23567    
                              Old January 19th, 2013 (2:46 PM).
                              Darkrai Lv.1000's Avatar
                              Darkrai Lv.1000 Darkrai Lv.1000 is offline
                              Has a tendency to figure things out
                                 
                                Join Date: Jul 2007
                                Location: On an island with Hakaze
                                Age: 22
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Quirky
                                Posts: 671
                                Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
                                Ok, so I've started adding new descriptions for the extra moves I added in my hack. It's been going along well; I'd go into "Summary" to check it, and it would look fine. But now, around the 40th description I've added, when I go to "Summary" to check, the game just resets. Why in the heck?
                                __________________
                                  #23568    
                                Old January 19th, 2013 (5:00 PM). Edited January 19th, 2013 by karatekid552.
                                karatekid552's Avatar
                                karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                                What happens if I push it?....
                                   
                                  Join Date: Nov 2012
                                  Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Bold
                                  Posts: 1,766
                                  Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by romancandle View Post
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post

                                  Romancandle: If you feel like scrolling through the entire rom, look for a pointer table that is only 25 or 26 pointers long. Don't know if it will have a nature at 0 so that would make the table one pointer longer. The table you encountered might be related if it is indeed the proper length. You would just follow the pointer, though I fear it is much more complicated and probobly involves an asm routine at the other end of the pointer.

                                  Is there any way to search for this stuff more quickly?

                                  Also, the table AFTER the nature names just point back to it. Figures.

                                  Edit: Eh, it's not worth the amount of effort. Changing the neutral natures into +HP just isn't worth it.
                                  It's a great idea, and it can be done. We just don't know much about nature yet. However, in case you ever feel like you want to give it another try, I have noticed that simillar things tend to be stored near each other. So, the table your looking for could only be a little bit away. Don't know.

                                  There is a better way and it involves debugging. If you can see what part of the ram is being called upon when a nature is loaded, you can seach for those parts in the rom and find it. But its tough because it's not as obvious when natures are called upon compared to things like attack. I'm sure someday, someone will figure it out.


                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Darkrai Lv.1000 View Post
                                  Ok, so I've started adding new descriptions for the extra moves I added in my hack. It's been going along well; I'd go into "Summary" to check it, and it would look fine. But now, around the 40th description I've added, when I go to "Summary" to check, the game just resets. Why in the heck?
                                  Bad pointer? Is it for all of them, or just that one move. If it is just the one, there was probobly just a problem with your offset. Just try recompiling it and then put in the new offset. If it's all them, it could be anything from a table error or a pointer to table error. Experiment with defferent things and see if something you do causes a change.
                                  __________________

                                  Paired with Simba
                                    #23569    
                                  Old January 19th, 2013 (5:51 PM).
                                  Darkrai Lv.1000's Avatar
                                  Darkrai Lv.1000 Darkrai Lv.1000 is offline
                                  Has a tendency to figure things out
                                     
                                    Join Date: Jul 2007
                                    Location: On an island with Hakaze
                                    Age: 22
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Quirky
                                    Posts: 671
                                    Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                                    Bad pointer? Is it for all of them, or just that one move. If it is just the one, there was probobly just a problem with your offset. Just try recompiling it and then put in the new offset. If it's all them, it could be anything from a table error or a pointer to table error. Experiment with defferent things and see if something you do causes a change.
                                    That's what I thought, but even when I change the offset to another one, the game still resets. Is there a portion in the game's free space that you just can't mess with? Am I changing descriptions too close to the bottom (I started at offset 0x900EEB)? Either way, I can't seem to fix this problem. Putting in another offset, pointing it to free space, and using an already made stock description all don't work. I'm hoping there's a solution. If not, I'm glad I have a backup game with no descriptions and saved scripts of said descriptions. :/

                                    I'm using Pokemon Game Editor's Attack Editor and Pokemon Ruby, if that helps any.
                                    __________________
                                      #23570    
                                    Old January 19th, 2013 (8:41 PM).
                                    karatekid552's Avatar
                                    karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                                    What happens if I push it?....
                                       
                                      Join Date: Nov 2012
                                      Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Nature: Bold
                                      Posts: 1,766
                                      Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Darkrai Lv.1000 View Post
                                      That's what I thought, but even when I change the offset to another one, the game still resets. Is there a portion in the game's free space that you just can't mess with? Am I changing descriptions too close to the bottom (I started at offset 0x900EEB)? Either way, I can't seem to fix this problem. Putting in another offset, pointing it to free space, and using an already made stock description all don't work. I'm hoping there's a solution. If not, I'm glad I have a backup game with no descriptions and saved scripts of said descriptions. :/

                                      I'm using Pokemon Game Editor's Attack Editor and Pokemon Ruby, if that helps any.
                                      The 0x900000's should be safe, I know that when you get up really high, there is a string of numbers about 20 bytes long every 1000 or so bytes, don't know what it does, but it shouldn't be a problem if you descriptions are inserted dynamically. From your response, it is just the one move I'm guessing. What if it's not the description but one of the other details that is causing it to crash? Try looking into making sure everything else is correct also.

                                      If worse comes to worse, just start over and make a back-up every five or so descriptions, they take up space, but it's far better than starting over many times.
                                      __________________

                                      Paired with Simba
                                        #23571    
                                      Old January 20th, 2013 (12:03 AM).
                                      Enso Enso is offline
                                         
                                        Join Date: Jan 2012
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Posts: 3
                                        I keep getting this error "ERROR (ENotAPointer) AdvanceMapError(5): The value at $486828 is not a Pointer!!"
                                        Using Advance Map 1.95 and Emerald if that makes a difference.
                                        Tried looking it up but no luck.
                                        What does it mean and how do i fix it?
                                        I just started hacking so I know very little. My apologies if this has already been answered or if the answer is blatantly obvious.
                                          #23572    
                                        Old January 20th, 2013 (2:17 AM).
                                        Manganum's Avatar
                                        Manganum Manganum is offline
                                        Your local sine wave
                                           
                                          Join Date: Feb 2010
                                          Location: Brutal Techno Rage Aquarium
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Nature: Calm
                                          Posts: 145
                                          I searched the thread, but I couldn't find anything relevant, so here goes:
                                          I want to edit Lance's battle in Fire Red to be a double battle (which is simple enough), but I can't work out how to put another sprite alongside his when it says "Elite Four Lance wants to battle" or whatever. I'm going to go and compare his script with an existing double battle and see if that yields any results, but it's still worth posting this.
                                          Anyone?
                                          __________________
                                          It's all in the Music.

                                          The Music


                                          Pendulum - The Terminal
                                          Danny Byrd - Ill Behavior
                                          Netsky - Love Has Gone

                                          The Projects


                                          Unnamed DnB project
                                          Composition for rehearsals

                                          The Inspiration


                                          Pendulum
                                          Blackmill
                                          Enter Shikari

                                            #23573    
                                          Old January 20th, 2013 (2:32 AM). Edited January 20th, 2013 by DrFuji.
                                          DrFuji's Avatar
                                          DrFuji DrFuji is offline
                                          Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                                          • Crystal Tier
                                           
                                          Join Date: Sep 2009
                                          Location: Downia-upside
                                          Age: 24
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Nature: Jolly
                                          Posts: 1,328
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Enso View Post
                                          I keep getting this error "ERROR (ENotAPointer) AdvanceMapError(5): The value at $486828 is not a Pointer!!"
                                          Using Advance Map 1.95 and Emerald if that makes a difference.
                                          Tried looking it up but no luck.
                                          What does it mean and how do i fix it?
                                          I just started hacking so I know very little. My apologies if this has already been answered or if the answer is blatantly obvious.
                                          That part of the ROM seems to deal with the connections between each map, there are quite a lot of zeroes around there so I'm guessing that you overwrote the data there when trying to insert something (a map, script, tiles etc). A quick fix would be to make a back up of your ROM, open it in a HEX editor, goto (Ctrl+G) 0x486828 and replace what's written there with '0C 68 48 08'. That would be the very least you can do to make that error disappear, but it would be better to compare that section of your edited Emerald ROM to one that hasn't been modified in any way and then replace your edited data with what's there.

                                          Since you're starting out I can understand that it could be a bit hard to do this, but its the simplest thing I can think of to remedy your problem.

                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Manganum View Post
                                          I searched the thread, but I couldn't find anything relevant, so here goes:
                                          I want to edit Lance's battle in Fire Red to be a double battle (which is simple enough), but I can't work out how to put another sprite alongside his when it says "Elite Four Lance wants to battle" or whatever. I'm going to go and compare his script with an existing double battle and see if that yields any results, but it's still worth posting this.
                                          Anyone?
                                          When entering a double-battle in FR the game doesn't take two separate trainer images and pair them together, it uses a single image that has two people in it. You can see this is the case if you look at the images from 127 to 131 in Advance Trainer.

                                          If you want to have two trainers appear when the trainer battle begins/ finishes you will have to do what GameFreak did and put them in the same sprite.
                                          __________________
                                            #23574    
                                          Old January 20th, 2013 (2:40 AM).
                                          Manganum's Avatar
                                          Manganum Manganum is offline
                                          Your local sine wave
                                             
                                            Join Date: Feb 2010
                                            Location: Brutal Techno Rage Aquarium
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Calm
                                            Posts: 145
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
                                            When entering a double-battle in FR the game doesn't take two separate trainer images and pair them together, it uses a single image that has two people in it. You can see this is the case if you look at the images from 127 to 131 in Advance Trainer.

                                            If you want to have two trainers appear when the trainer battle begins/ finishes you will have to do what GameFreak did and put them in the same sprite.
                                            I see... I've also noticed that there are no double battles in FR/LG in which the NPCs have more than one Pokemon each. Is there a technical reason for this, or should I be able to add in as many as I want, whilst keeping them with their respective "owners" (for example, if I made all 3 of the left Pokemon faint, would the trainer on the right send out their own to replace them)?
                                            __________________
                                            It's all in the Music.

                                            The Music


                                            Pendulum - The Terminal
                                            Danny Byrd - Ill Behavior
                                            Netsky - Love Has Gone

                                            The Projects


                                            Unnamed DnB project
                                            Composition for rehearsals

                                            The Inspiration


                                            Pendulum
                                            Blackmill
                                            Enter Shikari

                                              #23575    
                                            Old January 20th, 2013 (3:11 AM).
                                            DrFuji's Avatar
                                            DrFuji DrFuji is offline
                                            Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                                            • Crystal Tier
                                             
                                            Join Date: Sep 2009
                                            Location: Downia-upside
                                            Age: 24
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Jolly
                                            Posts: 1,328
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by Manganum View Post
                                            I see... I've also noticed that there are no double battles in FR/LG in which the NPCs have more than one Pokemon each. Is there a technical reason for this, or should I be able to add in as many as I want, whilst keeping them with their respective "owners" (for example, if I made all 3 of the left Pokemon faint, would the trainer on the right send out their own to replace them)?
                                            The game only recognises that there is one trainer on the field so that means all of the Pokemon are 'shared' between the left and right side of the opposition. Basically I'm trying to say that if you're battling a full team of six and knock out three Pokemon on the right-hand side and none on the left, they're still going to throw out a fourth one to battle with. There's still the normal six Pokemon limit in FRLG double battles so at least the upside is you don't have to restrict them to two Pokemon in total.

                                            Just like the sprite situation, its one trainer but with the illusion of two :P
                                            __________________
                                            Closed Thread
                                            Quick Reply

                                            Sponsored Links
                                            Thread Tools

                                            Posting Rules
                                            You may not post new threads
                                            You may not post replies
                                            You may not post attachments
                                            You may not edit your posts

                                            BB code is On
                                            Smilies are On
                                            [IMG] code is On
                                            HTML code is Off

                                            Forum Jump


                                            All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:16 AM.