ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #23551    
Old January 19th, 2013 (12:28 PM).
FBI's Avatar
FBI FBI is offline
Free supporter
  • Silver Tier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Unknown Island
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
When I said labels, I meant that it is labeled as. If you open uo the memory in vba, it shows the ram. 00 is BIOS, 02 is WRAM, 03 is IRAM, and so on. When you get to 08, this is the actual rom. By putting 08 in a pointer, you are telling the engine that the pointer is going to the rom and not another place in the ram. I called it a label, because it's like a number equivilant of the label "rom".

The location you showed is in the ram. What was being asked is how to change it in the rom so that later it can be used by the game. If it is only changed in the ram, you would most likely have to change those values each time you loaded the game.
Ohh, alright makes sense now. I was kinda confused when you said label for the first time since technically variables themselves are pointers

Relevant Advertising!

  #23552    
Old January 19th, 2013 (12:35 PM). Edited January 19th, 2013 by karatekid552.
karatekid552's Avatar
karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
What happens if I push it?....
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Bold
    Posts: 1,766
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
    Ohh, alright makes sense now. I was kinda confused when you said label for the first time since technically variables themselves are pointers
    If you really think about, every single command is a pointer. Every command (except the ones that do nothing:D) points to some routine and the parameters you put after it guide it.

    Also, when I use the term "label" unless I say otherwise, I'm mean it like everyday use, like the label on a can or the title at the top of a page.
    __________________

    Paired with Simba
      #23553    
    Old January 19th, 2013 (12:51 PM). Edited January 19th, 2013 by romancandle.
    romancandle romancandle is offline
       
      Join Date: Oct 2009
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Adamant
      Posts: 72
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post

      Romancandle: If you feel like scrolling through the entire rom, look for a pointer table that is only 25 or 26 pointers long. Don't know if it will have a nature at 0 so that would make the table one pointer longer. The table you encountered might be related if it is indeed the proper length. You would just follow the pointer, though I fear it is much more complicated and probobly involves an asm routine at the other end of the pointer.

      Is there any way to search for this stuff more quickly?

      Also, the table AFTER the nature names just point back to it. Figures.

      Edit: Eh, it's not worth the amount of effort. Changing the neutral natures into +HP just isn't worth it.
        #23554    
      Old January 19th, 2013 (2:46 PM).
      Darkrai Lv.1000's Avatar
      Darkrai Lv.1000 Darkrai Lv.1000 is offline
      Has a tendency to figure things out
         
        Join Date: Jul 2007
        Location: On an island with Hakaze
        Age: 23
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Quirky
        Posts: 684
        Ok, so I've started adding new descriptions for the extra moves I added in my hack. It's been going along well; I'd go into "Summary" to check it, and it would look fine. But now, around the 40th description I've added, when I go to "Summary" to check, the game just resets. Why in the heck?
        __________________
          #23555    
        Old January 19th, 2013 (5:00 PM). Edited January 19th, 2013 by karatekid552.
        karatekid552's Avatar
        karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
        What happens if I push it?....
           
          Join Date: Nov 2012
          Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Bold
          Posts: 1,766
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by romancandle View Post
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post

          Romancandle: If you feel like scrolling through the entire rom, look for a pointer table that is only 25 or 26 pointers long. Don't know if it will have a nature at 0 so that would make the table one pointer longer. The table you encountered might be related if it is indeed the proper length. You would just follow the pointer, though I fear it is much more complicated and probobly involves an asm routine at the other end of the pointer.

          Is there any way to search for this stuff more quickly?

          Also, the table AFTER the nature names just point back to it. Figures.

          Edit: Eh, it's not worth the amount of effort. Changing the neutral natures into +HP just isn't worth it.
          It's a great idea, and it can be done. We just don't know much about nature yet. However, in case you ever feel like you want to give it another try, I have noticed that simillar things tend to be stored near each other. So, the table your looking for could only be a little bit away. Don't know.

          There is a better way and it involves debugging. If you can see what part of the ram is being called upon when a nature is loaded, you can seach for those parts in the rom and find it. But its tough because it's not as obvious when natures are called upon compared to things like attack. I'm sure someday, someone will figure it out.


          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Darkrai Lv.1000 View Post
          Ok, so I've started adding new descriptions for the extra moves I added in my hack. It's been going along well; I'd go into "Summary" to check it, and it would look fine. But now, around the 40th description I've added, when I go to "Summary" to check, the game just resets. Why in the heck?
          Bad pointer? Is it for all of them, or just that one move. If it is just the one, there was probobly just a problem with your offset. Just try recompiling it and then put in the new offset. If it's all them, it could be anything from a table error or a pointer to table error. Experiment with defferent things and see if something you do causes a change.
          __________________

          Paired with Simba
            #23556    
          Old January 19th, 2013 (5:51 PM).
          Darkrai Lv.1000's Avatar
          Darkrai Lv.1000 Darkrai Lv.1000 is offline
          Has a tendency to figure things out
             
            Join Date: Jul 2007
            Location: On an island with Hakaze
            Age: 23
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Quirky
            Posts: 684
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
            Bad pointer? Is it for all of them, or just that one move. If it is just the one, there was probobly just a problem with your offset. Just try recompiling it and then put in the new offset. If it's all them, it could be anything from a table error or a pointer to table error. Experiment with defferent things and see if something you do causes a change.
            That's what I thought, but even when I change the offset to another one, the game still resets. Is there a portion in the game's free space that you just can't mess with? Am I changing descriptions too close to the bottom (I started at offset 0x900EEB)? Either way, I can't seem to fix this problem. Putting in another offset, pointing it to free space, and using an already made stock description all don't work. I'm hoping there's a solution. If not, I'm glad I have a backup game with no descriptions and saved scripts of said descriptions. :/

            I'm using Pokemon Game Editor's Attack Editor and Pokemon Ruby, if that helps any.
            __________________
              #23557    
            Old January 19th, 2013 (8:41 PM).
            karatekid552's Avatar
            karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
            What happens if I push it?....
               
              Join Date: Nov 2012
              Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Bold
              Posts: 1,766
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Darkrai Lv.1000 View Post
              That's what I thought, but even when I change the offset to another one, the game still resets. Is there a portion in the game's free space that you just can't mess with? Am I changing descriptions too close to the bottom (I started at offset 0x900EEB)? Either way, I can't seem to fix this problem. Putting in another offset, pointing it to free space, and using an already made stock description all don't work. I'm hoping there's a solution. If not, I'm glad I have a backup game with no descriptions and saved scripts of said descriptions. :/

              I'm using Pokemon Game Editor's Attack Editor and Pokemon Ruby, if that helps any.
              The 0x900000's should be safe, I know that when you get up really high, there is a string of numbers about 20 bytes long every 1000 or so bytes, don't know what it does, but it shouldn't be a problem if you descriptions are inserted dynamically. From your response, it is just the one move I'm guessing. What if it's not the description but one of the other details that is causing it to crash? Try looking into making sure everything else is correct also.

              If worse comes to worse, just start over and make a back-up every five or so descriptions, they take up space, but it's far better than starting over many times.
              __________________

              Paired with Simba
                #23558    
              Old January 20th, 2013 (12:03 AM).
              Enso Enso is offline
                 
                Join Date: Jan 2012
                Gender: Male
                Posts: 3
                I keep getting this error "ERROR (ENotAPointer) AdvanceMapError(5): The value at $486828 is not a Pointer!!"
                Using Advance Map 1.95 and Emerald if that makes a difference.
                Tried looking it up but no luck.
                What does it mean and how do i fix it?
                I just started hacking so I know very little. My apologies if this has already been answered or if the answer is blatantly obvious.
                  #23559    
                Old January 20th, 2013 (2:17 AM).
                Manganum's Avatar
                Manganum Manganum is offline
                Your local sine wave
                   
                  Join Date: Feb 2010
                  Location: Brutal Techno Rage Aquarium
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Calm
                  Posts: 145
                  I searched the thread, but I couldn't find anything relevant, so here goes:
                  I want to edit Lance's battle in Fire Red to be a double battle (which is simple enough), but I can't work out how to put another sprite alongside his when it says "Elite Four Lance wants to battle" or whatever. I'm going to go and compare his script with an existing double battle and see if that yields any results, but it's still worth posting this.
                  Anyone?
                  __________________
                  It's all in the Music.

                  The Music


                  Pendulum - The Terminal
                  Danny Byrd - Ill Behavior
                  Netsky - Love Has Gone

                  The Projects


                  Unnamed DnB project
                  Composition for rehearsals

                  The Inspiration


                  Pendulum
                  Blackmill
                  Enter Shikari

                    #23560    
                  Old January 20th, 2013 (2:32 AM). Edited January 20th, 2013 by DrFuji.
                  DrFuji's Avatar
                  DrFuji DrFuji is offline
                  Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                  • Crystal Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Sep 2009
                  Location: Downia-upside
                  Age: 24
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Jolly
                  Posts: 1,328
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Enso View Post
                  I keep getting this error "ERROR (ENotAPointer) AdvanceMapError(5): The value at $486828 is not a Pointer!!"
                  Using Advance Map 1.95 and Emerald if that makes a difference.
                  Tried looking it up but no luck.
                  What does it mean and how do i fix it?
                  I just started hacking so I know very little. My apologies if this has already been answered or if the answer is blatantly obvious.
                  That part of the ROM seems to deal with the connections between each map, there are quite a lot of zeroes around there so I'm guessing that you overwrote the data there when trying to insert something (a map, script, tiles etc). A quick fix would be to make a back up of your ROM, open it in a HEX editor, goto (Ctrl+G) 0x486828 and replace what's written there with '0C 68 48 08'. That would be the very least you can do to make that error disappear, but it would be better to compare that section of your edited Emerald ROM to one that hasn't been modified in any way and then replace your edited data with what's there.

                  Since you're starting out I can understand that it could be a bit hard to do this, but its the simplest thing I can think of to remedy your problem.

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Manganum View Post
                  I searched the thread, but I couldn't find anything relevant, so here goes:
                  I want to edit Lance's battle in Fire Red to be a double battle (which is simple enough), but I can't work out how to put another sprite alongside his when it says "Elite Four Lance wants to battle" or whatever. I'm going to go and compare his script with an existing double battle and see if that yields any results, but it's still worth posting this.
                  Anyone?
                  When entering a double-battle in FR the game doesn't take two separate trainer images and pair them together, it uses a single image that has two people in it. You can see this is the case if you look at the images from 127 to 131 in Advance Trainer.

                  If you want to have two trainers appear when the trainer battle begins/ finishes you will have to do what GameFreak did and put them in the same sprite.
                  __________________
                    #23561    
                  Old January 20th, 2013 (2:40 AM).
                  Manganum's Avatar
                  Manganum Manganum is offline
                  Your local sine wave
                     
                    Join Date: Feb 2010
                    Location: Brutal Techno Rage Aquarium
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Calm
                    Posts: 145
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
                    When entering a double-battle in FR the game doesn't take two separate trainer images and pair them together, it uses a single image that has two people in it. You can see this is the case if you look at the images from 127 to 131 in Advance Trainer.

                    If you want to have two trainers appear when the trainer battle begins/ finishes you will have to do what GameFreak did and put them in the same sprite.
                    I see... I've also noticed that there are no double battles in FR/LG in which the NPCs have more than one Pokemon each. Is there a technical reason for this, or should I be able to add in as many as I want, whilst keeping them with their respective "owners" (for example, if I made all 3 of the left Pokemon faint, would the trainer on the right send out their own to replace them)?
                    __________________
                    It's all in the Music.

                    The Music


                    Pendulum - The Terminal
                    Danny Byrd - Ill Behavior
                    Netsky - Love Has Gone

                    The Projects


                    Unnamed DnB project
                    Composition for rehearsals

                    The Inspiration


                    Pendulum
                    Blackmill
                    Enter Shikari

                      #23562    
                    Old January 20th, 2013 (3:11 AM).
                    DrFuji's Avatar
                    DrFuji DrFuji is offline
                    Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                    • Crystal Tier
                     
                    Join Date: Sep 2009
                    Location: Downia-upside
                    Age: 24
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Jolly
                    Posts: 1,328
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Manganum View Post
                    I see... I've also noticed that there are no double battles in FR/LG in which the NPCs have more than one Pokemon each. Is there a technical reason for this, or should I be able to add in as many as I want, whilst keeping them with their respective "owners" (for example, if I made all 3 of the left Pokemon faint, would the trainer on the right send out their own to replace them)?
                    The game only recognises that there is one trainer on the field so that means all of the Pokemon are 'shared' between the left and right side of the opposition. Basically I'm trying to say that if you're battling a full team of six and knock out three Pokemon on the right-hand side and none on the left, they're still going to throw out a fourth one to battle with. There's still the normal six Pokemon limit in FRLG double battles so at least the upside is you don't have to restrict them to two Pokemon in total.

                    Just like the sprite situation, its one trainer but with the illusion of two :P
                    __________________
                      #23563    
                    Old January 20th, 2013 (9:16 AM).
                    Andrut's Avatar
                    Andrut Andrut is offline
                    Collecting dust since 1898
                       
                      Join Date: Dec 2009
                      Location: Warsaw, Poland
                      Age: 19
                      Posts: 286
                      what is the number in UNLZ-GBA for the type images ( those but for the third gen) in FR and Emerald?
                      Thanks
                      __________________
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by anonymous
                      Florges
                      It's a forest guardian that pities how bad a type Grass is, so it gets moves to help out Grass-types, but is smart enough not to be Grass-type itself. The appearance is simply mimicry to hide from humans.
                        #23564    
                      Old January 20th, 2013 (9:29 AM).
                      QuartierGenerale QuartierGenerale is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Oct 2012
                        Posts: 53
                        A rapid question: how a tile became a fishing one?

                        I've created tiles for mountain lakes; but when i try to fish, the game say: "DAD's advice: there's a time and place for.." and i cannot fish.
                          #23565    
                        Old January 20th, 2013 (10:08 AM). Edited January 20th, 2013 by FBI.
                        FBI's Avatar
                        FBI FBI is offline
                        Free supporter
                        • Silver Tier
                         
                        Join Date: Jan 2013
                        Location: Unknown Island
                        Gender: Male
                        Posts: 1,772
                        Quote:
                        A rapid question: how a tile became a fishing one?

                        I've created tiles for mountain lakes; but when i try to fish, the game say: "DAD's advice: there's a time and place for.." and i cannot fish.
                        I'm not sure which properties effect what when it comes to fishing, but in advance map there are two things that all "fishable" water tiles have in common. If you open the block editor and hover over a certain water tile (not the puddle), you'll find they all share these two things:

                        Behaviour Byte of: 15 04
                        Background Byte of: 00 22

                        Match your custom tiles to have these values (found in the block editor of Advance Map) and it should work (I hope ).


                        EDIT:
                        Now I have a question
                        Can I just use variables instead of using flags altogether? I mean of course there are certain flags like the Pokedex flag that are special, but I mean for events and such, is there a disadvantage to using variables over flags?
                          #23566    
                        Old January 20th, 2013 (1:35 PM).
                        karatekid552's Avatar
                        karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                        What happens if I push it?....
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2012
                          Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Bold
                          Posts: 1,766
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
                          Quote:
                          A rapid question: how a tile became a fishing one?

                          I've created tiles for mountain lakes; but when i try to fish, the game say: "DAD's advice: there's a time and place for.." and i cannot fish.
                          I'm not sure which properties effect what when it comes to fishing, but in advance map there are two things that all "fishable" water tiles have in common. If you open the block editor and hover over a certain water tile (not the puddle), you'll find they all share these two things:

                          Behaviour Byte of: 15 04
                          Background Byte of: 00 22

                          Match your custom tiles to have these values (found in the block editor of Advance Map) and it should work (I hope ).


                          EDIT:
                          Now I have a question
                          Can I just use variables instead of using flags altogether? I mean of course there are certain flags like the Pokedex flag that are special, but I mean for events and such, is there a disadvantage to using variables over flags?
                          Not really, flags can be set to either 0x0 or 0x1. Vars can do that, and then much more. So, really they are the same.

                          They're like light switches. Some just turn on and off wheras some can be adjusted to all different levels of light. It seems to be just your prefrance.
                          __________________

                          Paired with Simba
                            #23567    
                          Old January 20th, 2013 (3:00 PM).
                          Enso Enso is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Jan 2012
                            Gender: Male
                            Posts: 3
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
                            That part of the ROM seems to deal with the connections between each map, there are quite a lot of zeroes around there so I'm guessing that you overwrote the data there when trying to insert something (a map, script, tiles etc). A quick fix would be to make a back up of your ROM, open it in a HEX editor, goto (Ctrl+G) 0x486828 and replace what's written there with '0C 68 48 08'. That would be the very least you can do to make that error disappear, but it would be better to compare that section of your edited Emerald ROM to one that hasn't been modified in any way and then replace your edited data with what's there.

                            Since you're starting out I can understand that it could be a bit hard to do this, but its the simplest thing I can think of to remedy your problem.
                            I compared the section with a clean version like you suggested and changed the values with a hex editor (Gold Finger). The error changed from the previous one to an "Access Violation Error". Seeing this I tried removing connections to the map(the connection errors were centered around route101) but when I removed a connection A-Map kept crashing. After doing this for awhile I finally removed the connections and the error was gone.

                            Thank you for your help!

                            However now I'm having connection problems with another map(oldale town). I've been doing some finagling with the hex editor along with removing connections through A-Map to fix it
                            But my question is, Is there a program or anything like a map or website to aid me in finding the values for other connections, etc. or is that something I have to deduce on my own?
                              #23568    
                            Old January 20th, 2013 (3:17 PM).
                            Manganum's Avatar
                            Manganum Manganum is offline
                            Your local sine wave
                               
                              Join Date: Feb 2010
                              Location: Brutal Techno Rage Aquarium
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Calm
                              Posts: 145
                              Hmm... I've finally decided to migrate from using a-text (it's way too buggy) to modifying the actual scripts of the game, but there's one thing that I can't seem to wrap my head around (even with the dozens of Pokescript tutorials on PC). Say I wanted to edit the dialogue of an existing NPC, but I wanted to make it longer. How do I do this without creating a bunch of errors (like the next section of dialogue spilling into it)? I know I can just copy the script over to a larger hex value, but how do I find out the minimum amount of bytes I'll need?

                              Maybe I'm just overlooking some really simple detail...

                              EDIT: Actually, I don't think it's Pokescript... All of FR's original scripts start with #org 0x(insert value here) while the tutorials I'm looking at use #dynamic.
                              Basically, I just have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, and I'd be really grateful for some help
                              __________________
                              It's all in the Music.

                              The Music


                              Pendulum - The Terminal
                              Danny Byrd - Ill Behavior
                              Netsky - Love Has Gone

                              The Projects


                              Unnamed DnB project
                              Composition for rehearsals

                              The Inspiration


                              Pendulum
                              Blackmill
                              Enter Shikari

                                #23569    
                              Old January 20th, 2013 (3:37 PM).
                              FBI's Avatar
                              FBI FBI is offline
                              Free supporter
                              • Silver Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Jan 2013
                              Location: Unknown Island
                              Gender: Male
                              Posts: 1,772
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Manganum View Post
                              Hmm... I've finally decided to migrate from using a-text (it's way too buggy) to modifying the actual scripts of the game, but there's one thing that I can't seem to wrap my head around (even with the dozens of Pokescript tutorials on PC). Say I wanted to edit the dialogue of an existing NPC, but I wanted to make it longer. How do I do this without creating a bunch of errors (like the next section of dialogue spilling into it)? I know I can just copy the script over to a larger hex value, but how do I find out the minimum amount of bytes I'll need?

                              Maybe I'm just overlooking some really simple detail...

                              EDIT: Actually, I don't think it's Pokescript... All of FR's original scripts start with #org 0x(insert value here) while the tutorials I'm looking at use #dynamic.
                              Basically, I just have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, and I'd be really grateful for some help
                              Tip #1:
                              Save yourself the time now and switch to XSE or PKSV as a script editor

                              As for the actual question, you need to use the new line charachter which is simple "\n", after the first use of "\n" you use "\l" for each following next line command. You can also use "\p" to start with a fresh textbox, this can be used anywhere in the text output part.

                              It's actually covered in many tutorials, mostly at the start. Though you should swap script editors so you have more resources to look at.
                                #23570    
                              Old January 20th, 2013 (3:39 PM).
                              Logan's Avatar
                              Logan Logan is offline
                              • Platinum Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Nov 2008
                              Location: Salisbury, England
                              Age: 22
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Sassy
                              Posts: 10,034
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Manganum View Post
                              Hmm... I've finally decided to migrate from using a-text (it's way too buggy) to modifying the actual scripts of the game, but there's one thing that I can't seem to wrap my head around (even with the dozens of Pokescript tutorials on PC). Say I wanted to edit the dialogue of an existing NPC, but I wanted to make it longer. How do I do this without creating a bunch of errors (like the next section of dialogue spilling into it)? I know I can just copy the script over to a larger hex value, but how do I find out the minimum amount of bytes I'll need?

                              Maybe I'm just overlooking some really simple detail...

                              EDIT: Actually, I don't think it's Pokescript... All of FR's original scripts start with #org 0x(insert value here) while the tutorials I'm looking at use #dynamic.
                              Basically, I just have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, and I'd be really grateful for some help :(
                              I recommend you use eXtreme Script Editor (XSE) by HackMew it's much more efficient and better overall.

                              Basically the #dynamic allows you to use a dynamic offset that lets the script decide where to put the script commands in the ROM, rather having to choose where every message box and applymovement goes. To use a dynamic offset you use #org @start and the beginning and when you compile the script you copy the offset that XSE assigns to @start and use that as your person's script offset in A-Map.

                              A generic person script (which is what I think you want to use would look like this):

                              Code:
                              #dynamic 0x800000 'this means that the script starts using free space available from the offset you have specified
                              
                              #org @start 'this starts the script 
                              msgbox @msg1 MSG_FACE 'the msgbox command brings up a message box, the @msg1 is a pointer to your actual message and the MSG_FACE is the type of message box you want to use (there is six overall, MSG_FACE has lock, faceplayer and release commands built in and is the best for generic people scripts)
                              end 'this ends the script
                              
                              #org @msg1 'here is where you type your message
                              = Hi, this is a generic message script. 'I also recommend you use XSE's built in Text Adjuster as it separates the message onto different lines for you so it doesn't overspill
                              __________________
                              Wait, I saw bare kicks, saw bare clothes
                              Said psyduck that, I can't wear those
                              I don't like them, they're not my ting
                              They went silent, they're all weirdos
                                #23571    
                              Old January 20th, 2013 (3:46 PM).
                              FBI's Avatar
                              FBI FBI is offline
                              Free supporter
                              • Silver Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Jan 2013
                              Location: Unknown Island
                              Gender: Male
                              Posts: 1,772
                              Is XSE better than PKSVUI?
                              I thought otherwise due to the longer name :D
                              __________________
                              ...
                                #23572    
                              Old January 20th, 2013 (3:48 PM). Edited January 20th, 2013 by Manganum.
                              Manganum's Avatar
                              Manganum Manganum is offline
                              Your local sine wave
                                 
                                Join Date: Feb 2010
                                Location: Brutal Techno Rage Aquarium
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Calm
                                Posts: 145
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
                                Tip #1:
                                Save yourself the time now and switch to XSE or PKSV as a script editor

                                As for the actual question, you need to use the new line charachter which is simple "\n", after the first use of "\n" you use "\l" for each following next line command. You can also use "\p" to start with a fresh textbox, this can be used anywhere in the text output part.

                                It's actually covered in many tutorials, mostly at the start. Though you should swap script editors so you have more resources to look at.
                                Yeah, I am using XSE... Creating a new line isn't the issue, it's the fact that if the dialogue I want has more characters than the text I'm replacing, it'll cut off halfway through and just go directly to the next section.

                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Manipulation View Post
                                I recommend you use eXtreme Script Editor (XSE) by HackMew it's much more efficient and better overall.

                                Basically the #dynamic allows you to use a dynamic offset that lets the script decide where to put the script commands in the ROM, rather having to choose where every message box and applymovement goes. To use a dynamic offset you use #org @start and the beginning and when you compile the script you copy the offset that XSE assigns to @start and use that as your person's script offset in A-Map.

                                A generic person script (which is what I think you want to use would look like this):

                                Code:
                                #dynamic 0x800000 'this means that the script starts using free space available from the offset you have specified
                                
                                #org @start 'this starts the script 
                                msgbox @msg1 MSG_FACE 'the msgbox command brings up a message box, the @msg1 is a pointer to your actual message and the MSG_FACE is the type of message box you want to use (there is six overall, MSG_FACE has lock, faceplayer and release commands built in and is the best for generic people scripts)
                                end 'this ends the script
                                
                                #org @msg1 'here is where you type your message
                                = Hi, this is a generic message script. 'I also recommend you use XSE's built in Text Adjuster as it separates the message onto different lines for you so it doesn't overspill
                                I am using XSE D: I'm using it through Advance Map, so that I know exactly where the NPCs I'm editing are located... As I said back up there^, the text running off the actual textbox wasn't the issue; it's the fact that if the text I replace is shorter than the text I want, the game cuts off the new text at the point where the old dialogue would have finished, and the next section replaces the rest of the new dialogue. This sort of thing:

                                Code:
                                Excuse me, you looked at me, diYou're mean!
                                Exactly what I'm trying to do is edit a Lass to say "KOINO: I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear!". This is the original script:

                                Code:
                                '-----------------------
                                #org 0x1A94FF
                                trainerbattle 0x0 0x74 0x0 0x8183616 0x818363F
                                special2 LASTRESULT 0x39
                                compare LASTRESULT 0x1
                                if 0x1 goto 0x81A9526
                                msgbox 0x818364C '"You shouldn't be staring if you\ndo..."
                                callstd 0x6
                                end
                                
                                '-----------------------
                                #org 0x1A9526
                                trainerbattle 0x5 0x74 0x0 0x81C14F3 0x818363F
                                msgbox 0x818364C '"You shouldn't be staring if you\ndo..."
                                callstd 0x6
                                end
                                
                                
                                '---------
                                ' Strings
                                '---------
                                #org 0x183616
                                = Excuse me!\nYou looked at me, didn't you?
                                
                                #org 0x18363F
                                = You're mean!
                                
                                #org 0x18364C
                                = You shouldn't be staring if you\ndon't want to battle!
                                
                                #org 0x1C14F3
                                = Excuse me!\nYou keep looking at me, don't you?
                                Copying the script to 0x800000 doesn't work, even though I change every "1A94FF" (which is this script's offset) to "800000". Then again, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong...
                                __________________
                                It's all in the Music.

                                The Music


                                Pendulum - The Terminal
                                Danny Byrd - Ill Behavior
                                Netsky - Love Has Gone

                                The Projects


                                Unnamed DnB project
                                Composition for rehearsals

                                The Inspiration


                                Pendulum
                                Blackmill
                                Enter Shikari

                                  #23573    
                                Old January 20th, 2013 (3:57 PM).
                                FBI's Avatar
                                FBI FBI is offline
                                Free supporter
                                • Silver Tier
                                 
                                Join Date: Jan 2013
                                Location: Unknown Island
                                Gender: Male
                                Posts: 1,772
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Manganum View Post
                                Yeah, I am using XSE... Creating a new line isn't the issue, it's the fact that if the dialogue I want has more characters than the text I'm replacing, it'll cut off halfway through and just go directly to the next section.



                                I am using XSE D: I'm using it through Advance Map, so that I know exactly where the NPCs I'm editing are located... As I said back up there^, the text running off the actual textbox wasn't the issue; it's the fact that if the text I replace is shorter than the text I want, the game cuts off the new text at the point where the old dialogue would have finished, and the next section replaces the rest of the new dialogue. This sort of thing:

                                Code:
                                Excuse me, you looked at me, diYou're mean!

                                Oh, now I understand. Sorry, I thought you were making scripts and you had text leaking. If you're already using "\n" and it's similar counterparts, then I guess you're editing existing scripts. In that case, you need to change the dynamic offset (the thing you see that says #dynamic 0xnumber). I'm not sure if you have to, but I'd guess you'd have to change the offset for that specific text too. Meaning if there is a command like:

                                msgbox 0x834712
                                You should change that 0xvalue into just a simple @word. Make sure you modify all instances of 0xvalue into @word. More clearly:

                                compiled script:

                                (notice in the already compiled script there is no #dynamic, you need to add it!)
                                #org 0x532940
                                msgbox 0x824521
                                end

                                #org 0x824521
                                = EPIC TEXT!

                                after you change and recompile should be:

                                #dynamic 0x8000000 (I think 800000 popular, but theoretically you should be able to use anything)
                                #org 0x532940
                                msgbox @text
                                end

                                #org @text
                                = MY NEW EPIC TEXT!!!\nIT'S NEW HOMIE
                                  #23574    
                                Old January 20th, 2013 (4:23 PM).
                                Manganum's Avatar
                                Manganum Manganum is offline
                                Your local sine wave
                                   
                                  Join Date: Feb 2010
                                  Location: Brutal Techno Rage Aquarium
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Calm
                                  Posts: 145
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
                                  Oh, now I understand. Sorry, I thought you were making scripts and you had text leaking. If you're already using "\n" and it's similar counterparts, then I guess you're editing existing scripts. In that case, you need to change the dynamic offset (the thing you see that says #dynamic 0xnumber). I'm not sure if you have to, but I'd guess you'd have to change the offset for that specific text too. Meaning if there is a command like:

                                  msgbox 0x834712
                                  You should change that 0xvalue into just a simple @word. Make sure you modify all instances of 0xvalue into @word. More clearly:

                                  compiled script:

                                  (notice in the already compiled script there is no #dynamic, you need to add it!)
                                  #org 0x532940
                                  msgbox 0x824521
                                  end

                                  #org 0x824521
                                  = EPIC TEXT!

                                  after you change and recompile should be:

                                  #dynamic 0x8000000 (I think 800000 popular, but theoretically you should be able to use anything)
                                  #org 0x532940
                                  msgbox @text
                                  end

                                  #org @text
                                  = MY NEW EPIC TEXT!!!\nIT'S NEW HOMIE
                                  I'm getting far too confused by this D: I might just have to shorten the text I want to add...
                                  For some reason, changing the script's offset to 800000 makes the NPC only say one line. No battle, no other dialogue, just the line from after you've already beaten them.

                                  Ah well
                                  __________________
                                  It's all in the Music.

                                  The Music


                                  Pendulum - The Terminal
                                  Danny Byrd - Ill Behavior
                                  Netsky - Love Has Gone

                                  The Projects


                                  Unnamed DnB project
                                  Composition for rehearsals

                                  The Inspiration


                                  Pendulum
                                  Blackmill
                                  Enter Shikari

                                    #23575    
                                  Old January 20th, 2013 (4:25 PM).
                                  karatekid552's Avatar
                                  karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                                  What happens if I push it?....
                                     
                                    Join Date: Nov 2012
                                    Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Bold
                                    Posts: 1,766
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Enso View Post
                                    I compared the section with a clean version like you suggested and changed the values with a hex editor (Gold Finger). The error changed from the previous one to an "Access Violation Error". Seeing this I tried removing connections to the map(the connection errors were centered around route101) but when I removed a connection A-Map kept crashing. After doing this for awhile I finally removed the connections and the error was gone.

                                    Thank you for your help!

                                    However now I'm having connection problems with another map(oldale town). I've been doing some finagling with the hex editor along with removing connections through A-Map to fix it
                                    But my question is, Is there a program or anything like a map or website to aid me in finding the values for other connections, etc. or is that something I have to deduce on my own?
                                    You can deduce it on your own, or you could let A-map tell you a general location. Go into A-map and hit ctrl+H, this will switch you to professional header view. From there, go under header and all of your offsets for the starting locations of the tables and such will be laid out.
                                    __________________

                                    Paired with Simba
                                    Closed Thread

                                    Quick Reply

                                    Join the conversation!

                                    Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                    Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                    Sponsored Links
                                    Thread Tools

                                    Posting Rules
                                    You may not post new threads
                                    You may not post replies
                                    You may not post attachments
                                    You may not edit your posts

                                    BB code is On
                                    Smilies are On
                                    [IMG] code is On
                                    HTML code is Off

                                    Forum Jump


                                    All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:25 PM.