Pokémon Polls Express your opinion in straightforward polls and questions about Pokémon that would otherwise fit in Pokémon General if they weren't so, well, straightforward. Vote away!

View Poll Results: Do you think Lugia should be a Water Type Pokémon???
Yes 27 69.23%
No 12 30.77%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 1st, 2013 (11:50 AM).
Banned

Nature: Modest
    Do you think Lugia should be a Water/Flying Type Pokémon rather than Psychic/Flying???

Relevant Advertising!

Old January 1st, 2013 (5:31 PM).
    Legit Boss
    • Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
    I think so, because Lugia is the guardian of the sea but yet, he's a flying and psychic type. Which is really weird. Maybe the 4x weakness to Electric to it might have been too overkill for a legnedary type if it had the water/flying combination?
    Old January 1st, 2013 (5:56 PM).
    eepz, come help pwease!
    • Gold Tier

Nature: Gentle
    I thought that Lugia was a water type, I didn't know that, yes, it definitely should be.
    check out my sketches and art: Firox-Fox - my Discord: Firox#0363
    Old January 1st, 2013 (9:00 PM).
    You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
      Guardian of the sea, deep-sea pokemon, lives in the ocean depths, psychic? WHAT THE **** no. I will not stand for this, they just didn't want Lugia to be stronger than Ho-oh, but apparently Groudon can have his rear end kicked by Kyogre! This should be it.
      Ho-oh, Fire/Flying or something to make it fair.
      Lugia, WATER/Flying
      Groudon, Fire/Groudon; Fire beats Ice
      Kyogre, Ice/Water; Water beats Ground
      even.
      Old January 2nd, 2013 (1:57 AM).

Nature: Jolly
        Yes, of course! Why Lugia isn't a water type was never clear to me. He IS the guardian of the sea, after all!

Also, Groudon should be Fire type...

Old January 2nd, 2013 (2:34 AM).

Nature: Calm
          Yes Lugia should be water type. It lives in the ocean/sea. it's the guardian of the seas. I never understood why it wasn't a water type.
          Old January 2nd, 2013 (2:55 AM).
          Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
            Some things are done for sake of balance of the gameplay. Pokemon is a video game first and anime generated background lore. It's similar to how Gyarados isn't a water/dragon but water/flying in some attempt to tone it down in first generation. Lugia will be quite a fortress with much less weakness, trading for only vulnerable to electric in battle... as if it's not a super strong defensive legendary already.
            Old January 3rd, 2013 (1:07 AM).
            Third time's the charm... right?
            • Crystal Tier
            • Social Media

I think it was only a few years ago when I found out that it was actually part Psychic type rather than part Water. It does make a little bit of sense though when you think about it, because then it would easily be a lot more powerful than Ho-oh based on the type advantage over it.

If it weren't paired up with Ho-oh I would absolutely want it to be Water/Flying, but for the sake of balance, I'm happy with the way it is.
            Old January 27th, 2013 (1:49 AM).
            Budding Breeder/Co-ordinator

Nature: Lonely
              He lives in a cave behind a WATERFALL of course he should be WATER!!!

White 2:
              Old January 29th, 2013 (7:35 AM).
              A Promise To Return

He is the guardian of the sea, lives in the whirl islands in an underwater chasm and lives in the deepest part of that chasm in a waterfall, also has the power to change the flow of currents.
                Should be water type.
                Old January 29th, 2013 (7:38 AM).

It does make sense, and admittedly when I was little I thought Lugia was a Water-type.

I guess Psychic/Flying does kind of make sense, but it still seems a little odd.
                  Old February 8th, 2013 (8:49 PM).
                  We're Evil

i think he should be water/dragon that would be cool, but no, nintendo decided not to make many dragon types in the early gens
                    Old February 8th, 2013 (8:52 PM).

Nature: Naive
                      no because then everyone would pick lugia over ho-oh due to the fact fire < water

(i love both birds and like thier current types)
                      Old February 8th, 2013 (9:08 PM).

Nature: Naive
                        Yes, though doubtful. Water would make it an extreme overkiller, and also since it's defense-oriented it'd be less vulnerable to electric as well. But who'd match up Lugia against electric? It had to settle for a Psychic/Flying... I was Outraged.
                        Old February 21st, 2013 (6:51 AM).
                        Vampire Waifu

Nature: Quirky
                          Lugia should've been a Water/Flying, but the tradition of having only one Water/Flying line each gen, which was started by Gyarados, forced GF to make Lugia part Psychic instead.
                          Old February 21st, 2013 (7:00 AM).
                          sugar. spice. everything nice.
                          • Platinum Tier

Lugia's current typing seems fine to me, and if it were Water-type it would have an unfair advantage over Ho-Oh (Fire being weak to Water!) not to mention that they usually only introduce one Water/Flying line in each generation.
                          Old February 21st, 2013 (7:17 AM).
                          Atra du evarinya ono varda.
                          • Crystal Tier

Perhaps it should. I had the misconception that this legendary was part Water-type when I was younger until I found out that it actually was Psychic/Flying. This confused me quite a bit, especially since I watched the movie that featured Lugia and the legendary Bird Trio with Lugia living at the bottom of the sea and manipulating its waters and such. Oh, and why is Lugia living in a cave behind a waterfall in the middle of the sea in the games??

Actually, if triple-types were to be implemented, Lugia should immediately be Water-Flying-Psychic as...well, you know why.

.....or perhaps it should not. If Lugia were to be Water/Flying, Electric-types would very easily K.O. it in a move or two. So....yeah. I think it's much better off being Psychic/Flying.
                          Old February 21st, 2013 (12:41 PM).
                          HOENN CONFIRMED!

Nature: Timid
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by pikakitten View Post
                            Guardian of the sea, deep-sea pokemon, lives in the ocean depths, psychic? WHAT THE **** no. I will not stand for this, they just didn't want Lugia to be stronger than Ho-oh, but apparently Groudon can have his rear end kicked by Kyogre! This should be it.
                            Ho-oh, Fire/Flying or something to make it fair.
                            Lugia, WATER/Flying
                            Groudon, Fire/Groudon; Fire beats Ice
                            Kyogre, Ice/Water; Water beats Ground
                            even.
                            I'm guessing you mean Fire/Ground for Groudon...

Anyway, in that scenario, Kyogre would be terribly overpowered against Groudon (Water being 4x-effective against the Fire/Ground type combination), even if Fire does beat Ice (and in that case, Kyogre would still only be taking normal damage, since Fire trumps Ice but succumbs to Water, thus canceling the two type calculations out). Kyogre also lacks any 4x weaknesses with Water/Ice typing. As much as I'd like Groudon to be Fire/Ground, I think Groudon as a mono-typed Ground-type Pokemonis fine for gameplay purposes, so it can at least have an iota of a chance against Kyogre with a 2x weakness rather than a 4x weakness. >.> What Groudon really needs is a Physical Grass attack that gains power in sunlight...and Eruption needs to be made a Physical move...

Anyway, on to the topic at hand, LUGIA...

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
                            Some things are done for sake of balance of the gameplay. Pokemon is a video game first and anime generated background lore. It's similar to how Gyarados isn't a water/dragon but water/flying in some attempt to tone it down in first generation. Lugia will be quite a fortress with much less weakness, trading for only vulnerable to electric in battle... as if it's not a super strong defensive legendary already.
                            Gyarados I understand (and like) with the "dragon through perseverance/Legendary Carp" deal (although Gyarados' typing is still laughable; it's only a threat when you lack Electric-type Pokemon/moves, unless 'competitive' Gyarados somehow fare better than Hoenn Battle Frontier Gyarados...) I haven't used Lugia for gameplay, although if it's a 'tank' of sorts, would Water/Flying really be that bad for it? :cer_confused: (although now I'm seeing some posts stating that it would be overpowered offensively despite the 4x weakness...)

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by EvilTotodile View Post
                            i think he should be water/dragon that would be cool, but no, nintendo decided not to make many dragon types in the early gens
                            I'd love Lugia's typing to be retconned to Water/Flying...if Rotom can have type retcons, surely Lugia can as well... :/

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
                            Lugia should've been a Water/Flying, but the tradition of having only one Water/Flying line each gen, which was started by Gyarados, forced GF to make Lugia part Psychic instead.
                            Hmm...I guess it could be interpreted as 'tradition', although I think that's kind of a coincidence/conscious choice on the part of Game Freak (and IMO, Generation 4 hardly counts since Mantyke is related to Mantine of Generation 2...).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by synerjee View Post
                            Perhaps it should. I had the misconception that this legendary was part Water-type when I was younger until I found out that it actually was Psychic/Flying. This confused me quite a bit, especially since I watched the movie that featured Lugia and the legendary Bird Trio with Lugia living at the bottom of the sea and manipulating its waters and such. Oh, and why is Lugia living in a cave behind a waterfall in the middle of the sea in the games??

Actually, if triple-types were to be implemented, Lugia should immediately be Water-Flying-Psychic as...well, you know why.

.....or perhaps it should not. If Lugia were to be Water/Flying, Electric-types would very easily K.O. it in a move or two. So....yeah. I think it's much better off being Psychic/Flying.
                            Yeah, I was confused with Lugia's typing as well, and Pokemon 2000 didn't help matters much (possibly worsened them..). I think I first discovered Lugia was Psychic/Flying and not Water/Flying in Pokemon Stadium 2's database. @_@ I'd rather have it be a Water/Flying Pokemon with Psychic-type capabilities; it doesn't seem any more 'psionic' compared to other Legendary Pokemon like Ho-Oh or Kyogre. Yeah, it can telepathically talk, but so can Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem (Dragon Pokemon who aren't Psychic-types). Water/Dragon also seems nice, but methinks that would be even worse compared to Water/Flying, with Lugia's apparent already-high resistance/defensive capabilities (not to mention that it kind of clashes with another Legendary Pokemon mascot, Palkia).

Anyway, if we can have Kyogre deluging the crap out of Groudon, I don't see why Lugia can't inundate the bajoogles out of Ho-Oh (as cool as Ho-Oh is). Ho-Oh has some Electric-type moves to help it out (then again, it currently learns Special Electric-type moves while specializing in the Attack stat...). And Lugia's main advantage (excluding high defense) is only STAB with Water moves, as opposed to STAB with Water moves and the boost from Rain and high Special Attack, like Kyogre has in its arsenal against Groudon. So Ho-Oh can take care of itself (at least for a while).

Currently in intermittent forum activity for 2017. ;_; Credit to Game Freak for avatar and signature. @Fenyx4 on Bulbapedia for more about me. Tune into TOONAMI!
                            Old February 21st, 2013 (12:54 PM).

Location: Born in Detroit, living in Chicago currently
                              Nature: Hardy
                              I have to admit, I honestly thought Lugia was water/flying until about a year ago. It was mainly its habitat (WHIRL islands - in the WATER) and the fact that it learned hydro pump by level. Oh - and seeing it LIVING under water in Pokemon 2000 :/ But yes, I do believe even after finding out its true typing- that it should be water / flying.
                              Old March 5th, 2013 (6:12 PM).

Honestly, if Lugia was a water/flying, I think they'd have to change the design up from what it already is. Not to mention it'd only have one real weakness. Lugia doesn't look like a water type at all, in fact I was skeptical about it being a flying-type when I first saw it. If anything, I think it should be psychic/water instead of water/flying.
                                Old March 5th, 2013 (6:15 PM).
                                Ephemeral Euphoria Ephemeral Euphoria is offline

Thunderbolt's gonna be Lugia's worst nightmare in that case lol.
                                  Old April 5th, 2013 (8:48 AM).
                                  Patchisou Yutohru Patchisou Yutohru is offline
                                  • Developer
                                  • Platinum Tier

I never understood why it wasn't. It is the beast of the sea, after all!
                                  Old April 27th, 2013 (1:26 AM).
                                  • Crystal Tier

Nature: Serious
                                  I say yes.
                                  It is the Guardian of the sea, as a lot of people have already said. It lives in the sea, and doesn't really seem like a Psychic-type in the first place, so I wonder why it's Psychic/Flying..
                                  Old April 27th, 2013 (2:44 AM).
                                  ur mum

Well I really thought lugia was Water Flying lol. Yes it should be it looks way more like a water type than a Psychic type. :3
                                    Old April 27th, 2013 (3:36 AM).
                                    Holding on to You |-/
                                    • Silver Tier

Nature: Brave
                                    Idk why it isnt i mean, its the guardian of the sea lol. And just like Shadowraze, i thought lugia was water flying.

The Underground
                                    Come and play mafia with us! You are always welcome.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links