• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews Brainstorming & Discussion Thread

FiyahKitteh

Bubbly Fiyah kitteh
Years
Well, so I assume it is not necro-posting if I join in on this thread, since this IS the 'official' discussion archive, hm? =3
So, I just wanted to figure out a few things I guess, if I may?

#1 - I have some Let's Play guides from some of my friends and myself too. Did that thread ever become reality? The guide one, I mean? So we can post our guides and tips in there or should I just make a new thread myself and then people can reply to it with their inputs and thoughts?

#2 - From what I have read, I am allowed to post some feedback for people who made an LP thread in this subforum, yes?

#3 - I actually have another question I'd like to discuss. Does anybody care to join in maybe (I don't necessarily want to interrupt what is going on in here)? I'd love to figure out which Let's Plays are a bad idea to play (Basically like "Don'ts"), especially since my friend NiNi said how boring Pokémon LPs are in his opinion. I'd just love to hear some ideas about what people think would make for a "bad" LP (in the sense of boring) and what not. I am really curious; being a Let's Player myself. =)

Mmm--I think that's it for now. =D

where can you post your pokemon youtube videos to?
Uhm...do you mean here on the forum? If so, you are in the right subforum. Make a new thread (check the rules first!) and then go! =O

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I don't think anything can really make for a bad LP on its own; it's more dependent on how interesting the player makes the LP for the viewers than it is on the game itself. That's not to say that some games aren't more thrilling than others pr vice versa, but with the right LPer, any game can be enjoyable.

Last edited:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Well, so I assume it is not necro-posting if I join in on this thread, since this IS the 'official' discussion archive, hm? =3
So, I just wanted to figure out a few things I guess, if I may?

#1 - I have some Let's Play guides from some of my friends and myself too. Did that thread ever become reality? The guide one, I mean? So we can post our guides and tips in there or should I just make a new thread myself and then people can reply to it with their inputs and thoughts?

#2 - From what I have read, I am allowed to post some feedback for people who made an LP thread in this subforum, yes?

#3 - I actually have another question I'd like to discuss. Does anybody care to join in maybe (I don't necessarily want to interrupt what is going on in here)? I'd love to figure out which Let's Plays are a bad idea to play (Basically like "Don'ts"), especially since my friend NiNi said how boring Pokémon LPs are in his opinion. I'd just love to hear some ideas about what people think would make for a "bad" LP (in the sense of boring) and what not. I am really curious; being a Let's Player myself. =)

Mmm--I think that's it for now. =D

Uhm...do you mean here on the forum? If so, you are in the right subforum. Make a new thread (check the rules first!) and then go! =O

1) I would imagine that if you had some guides you wanted to share you could just throw up a thread for them, as the section is currently without a moderator to conduct stuff like this.

2) I'm sure most people who post their LPs here are definitely looking for feedback of some description, it shouldn't be an issue.

3) I really don't think there are that many things one should just stay away from entirely. It's a good idea to not do a video LP of a JRPG or any game where things go quite slowly, unless you edit it. There are other things, like: never use a camcorder for a video LP - just don't; make sure your commentary is clear and easily understood; and be sure you're having fun, if you aren't having fun then the viewers/readers won't be having fun, and that is bad.

Kenpokid

Hee-ho!
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2016
I'm wanting to make an LP of Rune Factory 3, but I can't think of a way to make the game entertaining to watch. Any suggestions?

Gerri Shin

  
Years
Hey, I'm trying my hand at LPing and was wondering if anyone could help me decide which Pokémon version I should use. I've been tossing up between Platinum, SoulSilver, or White as well as if I should just do a straight run or a nuzlocke challenge.

This will be my first attempt at a Video LP and I'm hoping to use this summer to practice before doing my first main LP series on X or Y. I would really appreciate any advice other LPers could give me about starting out.

Years
Hey, I'm trying my hand at LPing and was wondering if anyone could help me decide which Pokémon version I should use. I've been tossing up between Platinum, SoulSilver, or White as well as if I should just do a straight run or a nuzlocke challenge.

This will be my first attempt at a Video LP and I'm hoping to use this summer to practice before doing my first main LP series on X or Y. I would really appreciate any advice other LPers could give me about starting out.
I would go for SoulSilver; there is a lot to do in the game and there are quite a few activities thrown here and there in the game. Furthermore, perhaps a Nuzlocke challenge considering a straight run is something we have seen before and I think others could benefit from watching you if you do well.

Yuoaman

Years

Really it depends on what you want to focus the LP on, SoulSilver would probably be a lot easier as the difficulty is lower, so you wouldn't have to spend as much time grinding or worrying so much about losing. If you're trying to do an informative LP, choose the game you have the most knowledge on, if you can talk about interesting stuff that isn't just the gameplay footage, then you'll be more interesting. If you're looking to do a more comedic LP, then try to think about the plots and the like, and choose the one in which you believe you'll get more material from.

If you're doing a video LP be absolutely sure your recording quality is up to snuff - I'm not saying go out and spend a hundred bucks on a fancy microphone (that's for suckers like me), but go for something which records clearly and ensure you can reduce background noise as much as you can. And remember that programs like Audacity have noise reduction tools built in, so those can be helpful.

Most importantly, as long as you present your LP with personality and the quality isn't distracting, you should find an audience for it.

Gerri Shin

  
Years
Thanks Yuoaman, I think I've decided to go through Pokémon White. Since this will be my first LP I'm just going to go through it in a vanilla run, semi blind. (I'll probably refer to a pokédex every once in a while, but I won't really follow a walkthrough.)

I'll try to post up the first episode next week after I can get a mic from a friend. (It;s tough finding a decent XLR mic that doesn't squeal, luckily I've got a friend who does his own records)

Yuoaman

Years
Just be sure to run some tests before you commit to recording. Even small changes in the position of the mic can have huge effects on clarity.

Years
Yeah, if you want a good LP, make sure you are definitely ready and all set up. Like Yuoaman suggested, run some tests prior to recording. Try to avoid using fillers such as 'um' too often because then you seem like you don't really know what you are/need to be talking about. Usual mic and cam tests, and that should really be it.

Good luck! :3

Gerri Shin

  
Years
Just be sure to run some tests before you commit to recording. Even small changes in the position of the mic can have huge effects on clarity.

Yeah, if you want a good LP, make sure you are definitely ready and all set up. Like Yuoaman suggested, run some tests prior to recording. Try to avoid using fillers such as 'um' too often because then you seem like you don't really know what you are/need to be talking about. Usual mic and cam tests, and that should really be it.

Good luck! :3

Cam tests are flawless, it's really been the sound that's been eluding me for the past month. My biggest problem has been not having a good way to record 2 audio sources at once. I found a neat little 5 channel mixer online for pretty cheap and am now borrowing a mic from one of my friends who does vocals for a local band so I figure as long as I have the mixer within reach while playing and have an ear in from it I can do major adjustments before recording and minor tweaks during.

I tend to not use "um" anyway. I've taken a few speech classes and understand that no other phrase transmits more uncertainty than "um". If anything I just need to work on probably what will come across as silence.

Thanks for the pointers.

I did a quick video test with audio recorded separately, which works for title screens, but I don't think would work too well during actual gameplay.
Spoiler:

Yuoaman

Years
Most recording programs like CamStudio and the like should be able to record your system sound and input from a microphone on separate channels perfectly fine

Gerri Shin

  
Years
Most recording programs like CamStudio and the like should be able to record your system sound and input from a microphone on separate channels perfectly fine

This is normally the case, however, none of my computers have a functioning Line In. so I needed to get something to remedy that problem. I found a really small Behringer sound mixer that I can use via USB and I can do a proper mix for audio at the same time. (A regular sound card for my computer would have cost roughly the same as what I paid for the mixer anyway and the Mixer is portable so I could do a live shoot for Gamestop events if I wanted to).

But at the current time, I can record from the game just fine, it's the Mic I'm still waiting for from my friend. I should be able to get my first real video up next week to do the Keldeo event on my Black 2 version.

Years
  • Seen Feb 4, 2013
Wanting to record let's plays. Question...

Uhm, so I'm guessing this is the right place to post this, but as my title says I am wanting to record let's plays.
Since I have a lot of free time, and need something to do.
What programs are needed to make a nice looking let's play?
I'm also wanting to add commentary, obviously.
Any help at all is appreciated. Thanks. (:

Yuoaman

Years
How would people feel about me doing a Crusader Kings LP on the side (while I continue working on the Quartz finale), whether I do video or screenshot is still undecided, but I'd likely begin at the earliest date allowed by the game and allow the readers to determine where I begin my dynasty's quest for total domination and how to go about it. I'd also probably name children after random posters in the thread, so assassinating heirs could become very hilarious.

Thoughts?

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
Would anybody give me some advice on making no commentary playthoughs, like for example, what screen recorder would you recommend me to use, I want one with a "don't record mic" option because my speakers have built in mics(I know it's weird), I tried BSR Screen Recorder, and the quality is terrible. :P

Also, what would you guys recommend me to play, I can play literally any NES, SNES, N64, GB(C), GBA, and NDS games, I will play pretty much any game except for Horror, but of course, I can't if it has problems playing.
I was thinking maybe Zelda: OoT or Paper Mario.

My updates would also be pretty random, it just depends on what I'm doing that day. :)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Uhm, so I'm guessing this is the right place to post this, but as my title says I am wanting to record let's plays.
Since I have a lot of free time, and need something to do.
What programs are needed to make a nice looking let's play?
I'm also wanting to add commentary, obviously.
Any help at all is appreciated. Thanks. (:
Depends on how much you're willing to pay, or even what you're playing on. Also, for the commentary, it depends on if you're doing live commentary or post-commentary.

Also, what would you guys recommend me to play, I can play literally any NES, SNES, N64, GB(C), GBA, and NDS games, I will play pretty much any game except for Horror, but of course, I can't if it has problems playing.
I was thinking maybe Zelda: OoT or Paper Mario.
I can't really offer advice about how to record videos, since I'm more into screenshot LPs. But as for what game you want to do, it's best to pick your own game that you want to do. This will insure that you have the most to say about the game. For instance, if you want to play LoZ: OoT, you can have videos (with subtitles?) that shows off your reactions to the games, what you find interesting about it, or whatever else you can think of talking about.

People might suggest a game you would never have an interest in playing, and that won't make for an interesting LP from you, since you're not interested in the game, and it will be easy for viewers to see that.

Really, just have fun with the game you decide to play.

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
I can't really offer advice about how to record videos, since I'm more into screenshot LPs. But as for what game you want to do, it's best to pick your own game that you want to do. This will insure that you have the most to say about the game. For instance, if you want to play LoZ: OoT, you can have videos (with subtitles?) that shows off your reactions to the games, what you find interesting about it, or whatever else you can think of talking about.

People might suggest a game you would never have an interest in playing, and that won't make for an interesting LP from you, since you're not interested in the game, and it will be easy for viewers to see that.

Really, just have fun with the game you decide to play.

Okay, I thank you.

I'll upload my first game sometime in the next few days, I've played Paper Mario, but I've never played LoZ: OoT, so it's going to be a blind run(I think that's what it's called).

EDIT: No screen recorders happen to work on my computer, so I'll just do screenshots, it'll be easier too, so when I show it, no video, just screenshots and text.

Last edited:
Back