• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Love and Romance

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Something that I was also thinking about... is the new bonding system in the games in which your Pokémon would bond with you, the more you battle with other trainers. Maybe that could be the same with other trainers as well, except when you have a Pokémon battle with them... certain ones would start to take more interest in you and your friendship between that particular trainer would increase the more you talk to them, then they could give you items as well as exchanging Pokémon with each other.

Now that would be as close to romance as possible, and maybe it could have even more better things? That would be excellent. ^^

Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2023
yay pokemon is going to be a new dating sim now

time to catch them all and hit on the ladies XD

LOL
That would be fun.
But the most romance this game has seen is Probably the Love and Battles movies in Pokestar studios. But Gamefreak has but some pretty.. um... subjective things in rated E games. But some actual romance in the game would make it MUCH more interesting.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah those movies were in no way romantic imo...

So with that in mind even if they did pull off romance, chances are it won't necessarily really be romantic. Unless they realised how bad the movies were...? I'm still not opposed to going on the date, tho.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The ferris wheel and Yancy and Curtis were the most romance focus the games have been barring DPPt with the opposite sex main player. So maybe they could do a Yancy/Curtis like character thoughout the game.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
That doesn't mean that you have to lose stuff though, it might just be something subliminal and extra. I mean, Musicals were something Pokemon games could've gone without and they didn't, so... :x

The ferris wheel and Yancy and Curtis were the most romance focus the games have been barring DPPt with the opposite sex main player. So maybe they could do a Yancy/Curtis like character thoughout the game.
If it was something that simple, and if it didn't mean they had to use resources that might've been used on something else (pokemon, moves, routes, puzzles, battles, graphics, sound...) - sure. I'd have no problem with that. But I'm still concerned that if they were to implement some form of romance (or at least something more than Yancy/Curtis), it'd be at the cost of something else. Now certainly, if that something else was musicals, that'd be okay, except that instead of musicals, I want to see something more in line with the RSE/DPPt contests, so in my ideal game, those resources have already been diverted. :D

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Maybe it is like Fire Emblem. When the same 2 Pokemon double battle together a lot, they start to have "support conversations" and get married. Then they go to the Daycare Center and a Peliper riding Delibird delivers an egg.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Hmm...I dunno. That would be cool. I still can't understand why they can't make a character kiss someone? Lolz. Well what if a girl rival says, "I want to kiss you." and then you choose "YES" or "NO". Well, I'm not a fan of romance, just an idea.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
If it was something that simple, and if it didn't mean they had to use resources that might've been used on something else (pokemon, moves, routes, puzzles, battles, graphics, sound...) - sure. I'd have no problem with that. But I'm still concerned that if they were to implement some form of romance (or at least something more than Yancy/Curtis), it'd be at the cost of something else. Now certainly, if that something else was musicals, that'd be okay, except that instead of musicals, I want to see something more in line with the RSE/DPPt contests, so in my ideal game, those resources have already been diverted. :D

Well I don't think it'd be a major way of romance, just something simple. If it's something more than that then yeah it might take out something else but we're on the 3DS now, there's more space to use!

Maybe it is like Fire Emblem. When the same 2 Pokemon double battle together a lot, they start to have "support conversations" and get married. Then they go to the Daycare Center and a Peliper riding Delibird delivers an egg.

Uhh... I think that might be a little too complicated. Plus I was referring to humans by the thread. :)

Hmm...I dunno. That would be cool. I still can't understand why they can't make a character kiss someone? Lolz. Well what if a girl rival says, "I want to kiss you." and then you choose "YES" or "NO". Well, I'm not a fan of romance, just an idea.

idk just that outright seems a little far for Pokemon. At a young age (aka the lowest age group the games are aimed at) I don't know if children are even thinking about kissing others, but going out with others (or "boy" friends) seems a little more probable if their parents take them, etc and the same would apply to the games.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
I think it's possible that they could implement romance. Little kids, while they think kissing is gross, can deal with minimal amounts of romance in a game. The whole Ferris wheel thing went fairly unnoticed, so I don't think they'd get it trouble. But, of course, keep it PG.

Years
oh yea, I'd definitely appreciate something like that, maybe an AI partner who is your girlfriend/boyfriend in-game for certain areas might also be interesting. considering the variety of extras added into B2W2 - acting, buisness management, etc - having a romance mechanic would be appreciated, especially if it can give a better feel of the trainer's interaction with the story and less being an avatar.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I do think the pokemon series could get away with a little bit of suggestive romance if they wanted.

As long as they're not jumping into bed I don't see the harm in acknowledging love.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
A small "dating sim" aspect, similar to Harvest Moon but without the marriage and children, would be pretty cool, in my opinion--especially if it wasn't forced.

And as for the younger players, it doesn't even need to be a full-blown romantic thing; it could just be like a friendship system or such.

The only two problems I see with it, though, is that: 1. in Pokémon, there is only one save file. If that remains the same in X and Y, that could lead to some general difficulties...I mean, why do you think Harvest Moon and other dating sims allow for multiple save files? And 2. having a dating sim aspect, while not completely seeming out-of-place, would not enhance any of the "main aspects" of the Pokémon games (trading, collecting, battling, etc.) so unless Game Freak wants to add it in as a little extra something, I (sadly) don't see it happening.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Alright, here's a cute idea ─ or rather an idea I think is pretty cute with nice storytelling.

Like every other game, we begin as a new trainer. When we arrive to the first gym, we notice a girl or guy (depending on which gender you choose) standing inside the gym. However, unlike most cases, (s)he isn't a trainer. They're more of the silent type ("...") or rather shy so-to-speak. After we defeat the first city's gym leader, we notice that the girl/guy is missing.

As we continue on in our journey, we begin to see this character in random locations for a numerous amount of times. Unfortunately, every time we get too close and they notice us, they put up one of those "!" above their heads and run off. It will play out sort of like a mystery at first. Like, why is this person following us?

After a little while, we finally catch this person. They continue to remain silent when all of a sudden a battle between the girl/guy and us take place. After we defeat him/her, they say, "I think...I think I like you," or something cutesy that implies they have a crush on us.

The main purpose is that they admire us as a trainer and as a person who does good deeds and would like to be as good as us. So they become sort of like a second (or third) rival, but not for the same reasons; they can even help us out in certain tasks like helping stop the bad guys. If I recall, we've never had a character who really looks up to us, and for one to have a crush on us at the same time would be a nice romantic twist.

At the end of the game, (s)he finally becomes brave enough to own up to his/her feelings about us. However, along this journey, their journey, (s)he comes to grow into their own person and a better trainer; thus why (s)he can finally admit to us how (s)he feels without being too shy about it. But in the end, (s)he leaves for their own adventure and says we'll always remain special to him/her.

Then, during a certain day of the week, we can find him/her in a certain location and challenge them. And each time (s)he'll us about something new they've learned along their new journey.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Given that this region is most likely set around France, and that Paris is within France and is a well-known part of France, the thing that comes to my mind is love/romance. Or at least it's seen as the city of love. This begs the question as to whether this'll make any impact upon you in-game. What if your character went on a date with another, considering that Ferris Wheel rides in the Unova games were kind of likes dates, or every evening you could sit down with someone and discuss things and he would give you a reward at the end of you listened to him, and brought a coffee which would have some sort of effect on your Pokemon. Or maybe even one of the rivals openly having a crush on your character and trying to declare their love for your character throughout the game!

Nevertheless, would you like to see love/romance in these games on a deeper level than just shipping characters together in previous games? Do you think it would make the games more realistic, or more boring to you if romance was introduced? How else do you think love and romance could play a role in these games? Could the lovey-dovey trainer class appear a lot in the region as a result, or maybe the Champion has a wife, or a husband even, and actively gives them the spotlight or talks about them.

Share your thoughts!

Since it's still semi-directed toward a child audience this might not happen, I'd love it though xD
"If you listen to me, I'll give you money" xD xD Idk, it just sounds, sad xD
Buying a coffee that has effects on your pokemon would be nice though
Throughout the game? That would be a little annoying, like if he/she constantly shows up, creepy even, since that would take it to stalker level xD

Yes, I would like to see some love introduced, it'd be a nice feature xD
Yeah, I feel it would make the games a little more realistic, unless your character is asexual xD
I think it could probably be small so as not to have the game focus around it, but maybe your gf/bf could be like someone you can choose to follow you around and help you, so you can have double battles with them xD against the lovey-dovey trainers too! xD
Yes, I think if the Champion had a wife/husband that it wouldn't over exaggerate it but still expresses that GF (Game Freak not girlfriend xD) is trying to add a little romance.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Really? One minute a 6-year-old may be playing his/her 3DS, the next minute they'll be caught smooching some other kid *facepalm*

Though, I do find this idea interesting! Maybe your boyfriend/girlfriend could give you battling tips, chat and even erm... useful items throughout your game but NO Harvest Moon-like marriage for goodness sake.

If they brought back the Poke...erm, that phone-like thingy from Johto, we could phone someone of the opposite gender that we have interest in for a simple chat and slowly, they'll build a relationship.

If I continued, it'll take you an hour to complete reading my post. That's all I gotta say for now, unless I think of brighter ideas!

Fenne-kun

//TheEternalSushi
Years
So. Many. Good. Concepts. Seriously. If that idea's implemented in the game, it would resemble an RPG (not saying that it's not...because it kinda is in a way) where your choices really DO make a difference (in old pokemon games, there's only one specific storyline and there's no way around it, which makes it too linear, I suppose? Open world would be more interesting, imo). Also, I'm personally a fan of romance, so if that DOES happen, this game is definitely a must buy for me xD

Back