• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
To add to what Hikari said, it's possible to breed DW Poliwag, but only the females get to pass down the ability, not the males.

Years
Pokemon Breeding (Dragonite)

Is it impossible in B2/W2 to breed Hydro Pump or Scald onto a Dragonite? I know that in 2003, Nintendo had an event for a Dratini that knew Hydro Pump and the event was held in the New York Pokemon Center; sucks for me because I'm from New York City. Do those kind of Dratini's exist on DS games? Or were they only in in GBC/GBA?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Is it impossible in B2/W2 to breed Hydro Pump or Scald onto a Dragonite? I know that in 2003, Nintendo had an event for a Dratini that knew Hydro Pump and the event was held in the New York Pokemon Center; sucks for me because I'm from New York City. Do those kind of Dratini's exist on DS games? Or were they only in in GBC/GBA?

The Hydro Pump Dragonite is GBC exclusive, sadly. And Dragonte can't even learn Scald. It does learn Surf, though.

Years
I have the first 2 black and white games... are the 2's worth getting as well? cause I thought pokemon wise, they both have the same types of Pokémon, right?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I have the first 2 black and white games... are the 2's worth getting as well? cause I thought pokemon wise, they both have the same types of Pokémon, right?

B/W have 156 Pokemon. B2W2 have 300 Pokemon. Pokemon are different in the games. Unlike before, the Sequels have different stories rather than a combined rehash of the original story.

Years

Personally, I like my Pokemon Black 2 more than my Pokemon White. It has more cities, and the story is a bit longer, so it's better IMO.

The Hydro Pump Dragonite is GBC exclusive, sadly. And Dragonte can't even learn Scald. It does learn Surf, though.

Thanks for the information. Would you prefer Surf over the other two?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
What are opinions on using Cell Battery on pokemon? Does it negate the attack or justs ups attack?

From the bible of Competitive Pokemon Battles:
Smogon said:
Description

Raises the holder's Attack stat by one stage when it is hit by an Electric-type move. The item is consumed after use. It does not grant immunity to Electric-type moves. If held by a Pokemon with Volt Absorb or Lightningrod, the ability will activate first if an Electric-type move is used, so the item's effect will not activate, unless the holder's ability is changed.

Competitive Use

Cell Battery is a pretty poor choice, all things considered. It's a one-time use item, which is annoying, and the boost it provides is removed on switching out. You can get the exact same boost with Choice Band, but without an activation cost, or if you don't like being unable to switch moves you can always opt for Life Orb. Simply put, Cell Battery will almost never be as useful as most other, more common competitive items.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Smogon pulls out the codes from the games and adds it to their own system. They don't tweek item effects. A lot of testing came from the game themselves.

From Personal Test I know the latter half about the abilities blocking it are true, same if the Pokemon holding the Cell Battery is Ground Type.

As for Official info, there never is any official info on how items work outside of the in game descriptions which don't state that the holder takes no damage when the item is consumed.

I've never tested Cell Battery nor Absorb Bulb outside of the few test I did for ability/type blocking.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Smogon pulls out the codes from the games and adds it to their own system. They don't tweek item effects. A lot of testing came from the game themselves.

From Personal Test I know the latter half about the abilities blocking it are true, same if the Pokemon holding the Cell Battery is Ground Type.

As for Official info, there never is any official info on how items work outside of the in game descriptions which don't state that the holder takes no damage when the item is consumed.

I've never tested Cell Battery nor Absorb Bulb outside of the few test I did for ability/type blocking.

What I mean is there VCG rules posted somewhere? Or will they be posted for the tournament. Would like to use a rain team

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Officially only things banned are Dark Void, Chatot/Chatter, (small list of assorted legends around the 600BST range), and Sky Drop. This is off the top of my head, but other than in specificly stated tournaments, those have been consistent. Chatot itself is banned due to an issue with Chatter rather than the attack itself.

If that still isn't what you are asking, try being like pre-school specific cause I derp hard sometimes.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
No its answered. Thanks. I just wanted to make sure there if there was a rule book some where. Because I want to make a trick room resistant troll team that swims :). God I hate trick room

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
No its answered. Thanks. I just wanted to make sure there if there was a rule book some where. Because I want to make a trick room resistant troll team that swims :). God I hate trick room

They usually have a Downloadable PDF file on their website. It usually takes a bit of searching to find it.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Is there anyone that will give you a bunch of Yellow Shards? I know someone gives you ten Red Shards in Nimbasa, so I would assume there's someone that does the same for the yellow ones. If so, where are they? Thanks in advance.

Years
Question about the Regis... to catch Regigigas in B2/W2, do all three Regis have to be from your game? I know you need all of them to wake up Regigigas, but I can't get Registeel because I don't know anyone with B2. However, I do have a Registeel from Hoenn, will that still work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back