• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Should I just skip to Black 2/White 2?

Should I?

• Skip to B2/W2

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Don't skip to B2/W2

Votes: 16 80.0%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Jan 31, 2013
The title says it all... I don't know if it is worth playing through the first two games because...

-The story is well simply there to hold the game together
-Most Pokemon will be available in the second games

So should I skip it to B2/W2?

Years
Now this is one of those hard decisions you have to make, but personally I prefer playing the original Black and White first before you try Black 2 and White 2 so that way you can get a better idea of the Unova story since B2/W2 takes place two years after B/W.

There's also a neat feature you can use called Memory Link, which if you link it up to the original Black or White, you can unlock cutscenes in Black 2 or White 2 that otherwise wouldn't be seen without it. Also, you can get all the Musical Props you earned in the Black or White game linked at once by talking to the man in the Musical Theater in Nimbasa City. Memory Link also unlocks N's Pokemon which all come with 30 IVs in every stat (neat!) and all make good additions to your team. They have a green sparkle when they enter battle, sorta like a Shiny Pokemon. And after beating the game, you can battle Cheren and Bianca with their original Black or White team based on which starter you chose in that game.

I'd recommend playing Black/White first, then do Black 2/White 2.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I personally think that it would be a good foundation to start off with B/W first, followed by B/W2. The storyline in B/W2 is continued from B/W, so you might end up a little lost if you begin with B/W2. You could read the synopsis for the earlier game first, but I find it better to experience the whole adventure for yourself, only then will the second adventure mean much more to you. This is what I think and recommend, but you are free to decide for yourself. :) All the best in your journey and may you be the best there ever was! *thumbs up*

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I personally don't skip Black/White, because the story in the original Black/White makes me take interest in Black 2 and White 2. And there is Memory Link, the extra features for owners of the original Black/White who also have Black 2/White 2, which contains special cutscenes which connects the original BW story to B2W2 story itself, Musical props, and carrying over your character's name (as in the house in Nuvema Town, a trainer N mentioned) in BW to B2W2. And if you don't skip original BW, you will enjoy more when playing B2W2.

Last edited:

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
I think the story in B/W is almost required to be known before you play B/W2. Plus it's more fun that way. It's set 2 years later in B/W2 and it's fun to see where all the characters had gotten in that 2 year period.

Trust me, play B/W first.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
i personally have played every game and think its worth playing throught the 1st black and white games

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
I think you should play the first Black and white games, and also characters develop between the two years, so that's always great to see.

Autaven

Gamer Girl
Years
It's a personal decision - but I wouldn't :) I think the story will make a lot more sense of you play black/white first, plus it's a great game!

Years
If you don't Want to play the first game then you probably wont enjoy it. I loved black/ white 2
and you don't miss much if you have an idea of who N is.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
I-I thought I posted there! Well...the story will make more sense if you play B/W first. If you skip to BW 2, you'll not clearly understand who N is and who this N's friend is. The trainer from Nuvema town. So I suggest you don't skip it.

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2013
I recently bougbt Black 2 and have never played the prequel Black/White and now i'm reconsidering it..Does it truthfully make that much of a difference if you skip? Or is it a necessary to play black/white first? I was thinking of skipping because the new generation there coming out with on 3ds and the pokedex are very similar other than Black 2 being an upgrade with more pokemon

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Sole voter for skipping BW, checking in.
The story of BW2 can be taken as standalone; they're barely any more connected than RGBY and GSC, it's literally the same "two/three years ago this or that". The characters are recurring, but they are not at all depthful in practical terms of development over BW's story; you could just read a short bio on each and understand them quite fully. Obviously playing through BW first is ideal, but it's also a waste of money and time since BW2's release.

droomph

weeb
Years
I say, start with BW so you can get your "angry" vibes (say, of "crappy" new pokémon), so you can focus on the story of BW2 rather than "omg they all seem like fakemon" (believe me, it WILL happen), and then go back to BW and replay it for the story value.

But if you're already used to the Pokémon, just go wild and play both of them. I mean yolo right

Years
I'm also voting for skipping BW1 if time and money is of concern. While there are story components that might not be overly clear if you haven't played the first game, they are partially summarised when the time arises and honestly, it's a Pokemon game - the story is largely irrelevant.

BW2, in my opinion, is what the first games should have been. The world is more interesting, the selection of Pokemon is vastly superior and the game feels decidedly better in every way. Now, while it has been improved and changed, a lot of things are shared between the games. For this reason, I worry that playing both in quick succession could be repetitive.

On the downside, some areas of BW2 aren't really fleshed out, because they are inherited from the first duo and not entirely relevant to the story. That said, there is enough new content to make up for that.

If you're looking for a more rewarding game, you can connect with a Black2 player who has beaten the Elite 4 and acquire "Challenge Mode", which pumps levels of opponents and makes the AI smarter. Gym Leaders and Elite 4 also get a minor lineup change.

I really want to stress the number of pokemon again, though. BW2's Unova dex (ie, before it gets expanded to the national Dex post-game) has 300 pokemon. BW1 had 155. This massive inclusion of pokemon made the game so much richer. There are constantly new and interesting pokemon in each area. It's not the caves=zubat/geodude/[wildcard] affair of the past. Almost every environment has a fresh roster of encounters.

If I could make one complaint, which goes for BW1 as well - why do 90% of the trainers in the game have 1-2 pokemon? Earlier on, I understand, but even most of Victory Road is full of trainers with 2 pokemon. You should be fighting 3 or 4, at least. Even the default Elite 4 have 4 pokemon each (Champ has 6).

Back