• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen I'm a crook and I'm a crocodile - I'm a Krookodile!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Which English names (of Unova mons) did you find most creative and why? Which were your favourite English names in general, even if they weren't necessarily "creative"? Share your love of the English names~~~

Sirfetch’d

I found Alomamola's name to be creative because it is a palindrome and bit of a tongue twister. It is really fun to say 5 times fast. I also found Chandelure to have quite a good name.

Vei

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 5, 2014
Not in relation to it's name having an awesome meaning or anything, but I found Samurott's name pretty dope.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Oshawott has always been my favorite name because it's so much fun to say. I even forgave GF for not calling it Wotter because I've grown to like Oshawott so much.

Years
I liked the name "Haxorus" because it has that really cool sound to it. Also, I loved the name Vanilluxe because omg who doesn't like ice cream! Pokemon + ice cream in one name is absolutely the best to me (:

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
Favorite name for a pokemon is Scrafty. He's also my favorite Gen 5. I just like it I guess.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
For some reason I really like the name Whimsicott. It's really fun to say and I like the combination of whimsical and cotton. Also Krokrok and Krookodile cause they're also really fun to say and "Scrafty." It's one of my favorite Gen V Pokemon and it's name is cool sounding.

Years
I have quite a few fave names of the Unova Pokemon, and loads were sorta creative.

My faves would have to be Elgyem and Beheeyem, especially if you were smart enough to know their names come from LGM (Little Green Man) and BEM (Bug Eyed Monster) and given they are based on aliens, this sorta fits.

I also liked how cool the Deino evolutionary line's names sound, the names come from "ein" (Deino), "zwei" (Zweilous) and "drei" (Hydreigon) which are German for one, two and three respectively.

Then another one I liked was Whimsicott, I liked the combination of "whimsical" and "cotton" and heck, it even has Prankster as one of its abilities.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hydreigon's name was very creative, IMO, as not only does its line contain the German words for 1, 2 and 3, Hydreigon's name itself is the most interesting out of them.

I also like "Samurott", simply because it's a samurai sea otter.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
You all know I love everything Unova produces. Except Druddigon... Crimgan was muuuuuch better, but w/e I didn't like the Pokemon in the first place. OH OH! Maractus is creative, and Volcarona actually Volcarona is extremely awesome. When I first heard Lillipup I was like "WHAT IS THIS? IT MAKES NO SENSE I WANT YORTERRIE ;_;" and in a way I still kind of want Yorterrie :x

I also like "Samurott", simply because it's a samurai sea otter.

Ya Samurott is awesome sounding.

Alomomoloamoalomaloaloma!

I found Alomamola's name to be creative because it is a palindrome and bit of a tongue twister. It is really fun to say 5 times fast.

Plus combine it with Amoonguss and it fits perfectly!

Also I like Golurk because it's like it's telling you to go lurk somewhere in the shadows which is awesome. OH AND REUNICLUS AND DUOSION AND SOLOSIS!!!

Okay I like everything... :(

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
Haxorus was pretty cool. Axe + Horus(The Egyptian War God) is awesome. Similarly, Tepig might be plain and simple, but it's perfect for it. Roggenrola (Rock and Roll) is OMGLOL of the world, too.

Years
I was a sucker for Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres' names, so I really loved what they did with Deino, Zweilous and Hydreigon. Another one I really like is Genesect. I used to tend to forget it was part Bug-type, until it dawned on me that the second half of its name is referring to "insect."

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I love the Tepig evolutionary line's names: Tepig, Pignite and Emboar, and also the Sandile and Axew evolutionary lines. They're just a simple connection of two words that join together perfectly.

Years
Not related but the best japanese name ever is hahakomori(leavanny)

Favorite bw english names are: Alomomola,haxorus(it crits everytime, hence the hax part), Reshiram(because I love the way user Justinrpg says it), and mienshao(because it's fun to say)

Also @ nica alomoonguss is gross :]

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I love the Tepig evolutionary line's names: Tepig, Pignite and Emboar, and also the Sandile and Axew evolutionary lines. They're just a simple connection of two words that join together perfectly.

Ya Emboar is the bestest. I remember when it was first announced and I figured it was better than Boarbeque and it sounds so badass. Great decision really GF. Tepig sucks compared to Pokabu though imo.

Years
Hm, there were a lot of awesome english names! I liked sigilyph a lot, it's really fun to say. Also, maractus rolls of the tongue nicely. Druddigon is a pretty smart name I feel, much better than a lot of other dragon names which are just boring. (dragonite I'm looking at you). Roggenrola is a good name too, because it feels really creative even if it's kind of random haha. Oh and I also love alomomola. ALOMOMOMOMOMOMOMOMOLA is just so amazing omg.

Mr. Whiscash

Unegged Hatch
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2016
I actually thought Pansage was a good name despite being a GIANT LETDOWN. Alomomola appeals to my love of palindromes though.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I actually thought Pansage was a good name despite being a GIANT LETDOWN. Alomomola appeals to my love of palindromes though.

Pansage is... idk. It could've been much more creative, like, Hiyappu, Boappu, Yanappu were more interesting while it's just stick a pan and sage together and BOOM. And repeating Simi/Pan for all of them just didn't really make them feel unique imo.

Back