• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
As you may know, traded Pokémon gain experience faster than other Pokémon. However, (I think) they don't gain more EVs from beating other Pokémon. This means it takes longer for them to reach the EV cap and therefore they can be higher-leveled yet have poor stats because of not enough EVs.

Where did you read that?

Anyway, since he was asking about global trades and not in-game, I can tell you right now that that's not true, otherwise Trade Corner would suck. I'd be doing RNG requests for no reason, cause people go and EV train the Pokemon I trade them. So yes, global trade Pokemon can still gain EVs as long as there's room for them. I imagine in-game trades would be the same. idk where you read that they don't get EVs. That doesn't make sense to me at all. I'm really hoping your info on that is wrong, because that would really suck. I use the in-game trade Petilil in Black and Black 2 a lot, so lol.

Years
Which Pokemon game?

Hi, so, I am about to start playing Pokemon again, however I am not sure in which order.

I have played only Emerald and Sapphire, and I believe Leaf green too.

I was thinking about playing it from the old generations to the new ones.
So should I, for example, play Pokemon red/blue and then Yellow, or immediately skip to Yellow? The same goes for other gens, should I play silver or gold and then crystal or crystal immediately? (that goes for RS and Emerald too, and PD and Platinum)

Another question, should I play Fire red/Leaf Green? If I am right, plots are pretty similar..ish? xD
I mean, would the stuff that is the same make me stop playing or that better graphic and all other...differences(?) will make me keep playing?
I know questions are rather subjective then objective, but still, I wanna know others opinion. :D

So I guess my main question is, which games, and in which order should I play. :)
All opinions are suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Also, not sure if I have put the thread in the right place, let me know.
:D

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
To answer your question, Red/Blue/Green are almost the same, you know that. The difference between Red/Blue/Green and Yellow is that in Yellow you have Pikachu as a starter and have the chance to capture Red's original team in Gold/Silver/Crystal and Heart Gold and Soul Silver. (Red's the final boss in those games.)

Look, here are all the main games in order:

Pokemon Red/Blue/Green,Pokemon Yellow, then there's Gold/Silver, Crystal (Not sure if Crystal was released with Gold and Silver...) next is Ruby and Sapphire then there's Fire Red and Leaf Green remake of PKMN Red and Green, Emerald remake of Ruby and Sapphire but different events, Diamond and Pearl, Platinum remake of Diamond and Pearl but with different events just like Emerald, Heart Gold and Soul Silver remake of Gold/Silver and Crystal, Black and White and finally Black and White 2! (Next is PKMN X and Y, coming soon!)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Where did you read that?

Anyway, since he was asking about global trades and not in-game, I can tell you right now that that's not true, otherwise Trade Corner would suck. I'd be doing RNG requests for no reason, cause people go and EV train the Pokemon I trade them. So yes, global trade Pokemon can still gain EVs as long as there's room for them. I imagine in-game trades would be the same. idk where you read that they don't get EVs. That doesn't make sense to me at all. I'm really hoping your info on that is wrong, because that would really suck. I use the in-game trade Petilil in Black and Black 2 a lot, so lol.
You misread his post Syddy. He's sayin that the traded Pokemon doesn't gain more EVs than normal Pokemon. Either way in-game or global, chances that they aren't EV trained is high. If yiu recieve them at a high level, yes they'll appear weaker only because they have not been trained. Though, no it is not harder to EV train a trade Pokemon.

Years
So if I play Pokemon Yellow, there is no need to play re,blue,green, maybe even leaf green and fire red? And if I play, lets say Crystal, there is no need to play Silver soul, silver, gold, and heart gold? I would like to play for example Crystal and soulsilver cos of different graphics (I love both new and old look) but I am not really happy with the fact those five games are the same :(

Also, I need another advice. I heard that once batter in Pokemon y/r/b/g/s/g and crystal dies, you can't save any more. So my question is, if it dies, it means I will lose my save, but what if I change the battery? Will I get my save back or I have to play all over again? How can I prevent this from happening?

Can i lose the save from any other game this way, or all the games later can not lose the save?
Thanks

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You misread his post Syddy. He's sayin that the traded Pokemon doesn't gain more EVs than normal Pokemon. Either way in-game or global, chances that they aren't EV trained is high. If yiu recieve them at a high level, yes they'll appear weaker only because they have not been trained. Though, no it is not harder to EV train a trade Pokemon.

Okay good, I'm glad because I was like "whoa, never heard that before!" Haha.

So if I play Pokemon Yellow, there is no need to play re,blue,green, maybe even leaf green and fire red? And if I play, lets say Crystal, there is no need to play Silver soul, silver, gold, and heart gold? I would like to play for example Crystal and soulsilver cos of different graphics (I love both new and old look) but I am not really happy with the fact those five games are the same

Also, I need another advice. I heard that once batter in Pokemon y/r/b/g/s/g and crystal dies, you can't save any more. So my question is, if it dies, it means I will lose my save, but what if I change the battery? Will I get my save back or I have to play all over again? How can I prevent this from happening?

Can i lose the save from any other game this way, or all the games later can not lose the save?
Thanks

Personally, I think that GSC and HGSS are similar, but still have enough differences to make them different enough that I'd recommend both Crystal and SoulSilver. You should play both! Maybe not at the same time or right after one another, but if you like new and old, you should give them both a play. I think you'd enjoy them both.

With FRLG and RBY though, there isn't as much different as there is with GSC and HGSS. I personally prefer RBY, but I know many prefer FRLG so I don't really know if I could recommend one over the other. You could do like what I recommended with Crystal and SoulSilver, just play Yellow and then later play FireRed or LeafGreen, just not consecutively or at the same time. Yellow is a bit more different that FRLG of course, so you'll find more differences between them than Red/Blue and FRLG. So in this case, I'd recommend Yellow and then follow up with FR or LG. But probably not RB.

As for batteries, yes those old batteries die and you will lose your save. You can replace the battery, however when you do, you'll lose that save. :( Either way, you're gonna lose the save. If you have a way to trade your Pokemon to one game, that'd be great. You could trade your Pokemon to one game, replace the battery, and trade those Pokemon back to that game and, if you'd like, replace the battery of the game you just traded them from. Hopefully that makes sense.

Years
Thanks. Then does this sound good? Pokemon yellow, Pokemon Crystal, Pokemon Fire red, Pokemon Soulsilver, Pokemon Emerald(I already played both emerald and sapphire, should I just skip it? I am afraid I will constantly have that "ugh when will this finish so I can move on to something I never play" feeling, yep, another subjective question) Then pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Black etc. I will have plenty of time to decide what next, since I am a slow kind of player, I don't like to rush, I like to enjoy the game as much as possible.
Good idea? Yes, no? huh?

Although, this battery thing bothers me a lot. Basically these games are old, chances I will be able to play through the whole game without losing the save are not as big as I'd want them to be, and I dont know how to change them (even better, how to change them without breaking the game). Speaking of, which games have these problems? Pokemon red,blue,green,yellow,silver,gold...any others?

And the last thing, may I make a thread somewhere on this forum about buying games? I am trying to get them cheap, so may I ask it on here, or it's against the rules?

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Crystal is largely different from HGSS because of the game mechanics. Playing both is interesting to know the differences. I played a lot of Gold in the past (my save had 999+ hours before the battery ran dry) and I was mindblown by HeartGold, but if you want to get a 2nd gen game, get Crystal, because it has more features and doesn't lose a whole lot in terms of Pokémon.

I played Yellow and didn't like it, I liked the new sprites but I thought Red and Blue were superior games.

The battery is a problem in all pre-DS games. However, there are differences. In RBYGSC, you lose the whole save. In RSE, you only lose the internal clock of the game, which means no time-based events occur (Berry growing, Eevee evolving into Espeon/Umbreon), but the save is still intact.

Listen to Sydian, she knows her stuff.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Thanks. Then does this sound good? Pokemon yellow, Pokemon Crystal, Pokemon Fire red, Pokemon Soulsilver, Pokemon Emerald(I already played both emerald and sapphire, should I just skip it? I am afraid I will constantly have that "ugh when will this finish so I can move on to something I never play" feeling, yep, another subjective question) Then pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Black etc. I will have plenty of time to decide what next, since I am a slow kind of player, I don't like to rush, I like to enjoy the game as much as possible.
Good idea? Yes, no? huh?

I might do Emerald before FireRed or after FireRed, just to put something different between them. Remember, FR and SS both have Kanto, as well as Yellow and Crystal. I recommend Emerald though, really. I guess I'm a bit biased because it's my favorite game in the series, but it's really good and I recommend it over RS, especially if it's been a long time since you've played those two.

Personally though, I'd play in order of release. So Yellow, Crystal, FireRed, Emerald (or Emerald before FR since you'll be sick of Kanto by that point I think), Platinum, SoulSilver, then Black. That's just how I'd do it, anyway.

And the last thing, may I make a thread somewhere on this forum about buying games? I am trying to get them cheap, so may I ask it on here, or it's against the rules?

Yeah, that's against the rules I'm afraid. ;( If you have a local game store, that would be your best bet. Buying games online, especially GBA games, is really sketchy and they're often fake, and it's not worth it. Or if you know anyone like a friend or someone that's willing to sell their old games, that'd work. If you're gonna buy online, make sure they're a reputable seller and double check those pictures. If you end up buying online, feel free to post the pictures of the cartridge in here before purchasing them and we can help you determine if they're fake.

Listen to Sydian, she knows her stuff.

Well thank you, darlin! :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
How to know if i'm banned for Nintendo wifi?

I don't know why Livewire didn't just move my thread to the proper section to instead of locking my last thread, but is there any way to tell if I have a ban on my DS or just a bad internet connection? I can't tell the difference... thanks

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Because there's not a forum you can really move this to. Merging with the Q&A. Honestly though, you might have better luck asking in Trade Corner or Battle Center, since those heavily deal with wifi.

I myself am not a wifi whizz so I have nothing else to say on the matter, I'm afraid.

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2013
About Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Red Rescue Team !

Hello there !
I'm replaying PMDRed, and I have some questions. I'm using the emulator VBAm, and no cheats. However, when I'll battle some pokemon I can recruit, I save state, so if it doesn't befriend me, I try again :p
The problem is, some pokemon, as Rattata, which befriending rate is approx. 10%, can't befriend me. I already have their area, and yet it doesn't happen.
The strange thing is the same thing was happening to Nidoran(f), but then when I fought one, it suddenly befriended, without needing a second trying.

Why it happens ? Does somebody know the inner mechanism of befriending Pokemon in these games ? The chances I take, or anything alike ?

Thank you so much !

Years
Fire red or red?

So I wanna get one of the older games. I was wondering what the difference was between fire red and red (besides graphics).Thanks in advance.

Years
Fire Red
- Sevii Islands (after you get 8th badge
- Pokemon have genders
- Move Deleter (to delete HMs or other moves)
- You can breed pokemon
- You can catch some pokemon from Jhoto after beating the E4
- National Pokedex after the E4

Red
-its the original which means more glitches and what not

Years
So basically if I want nostalgia I go with red but for better play fire red? Or is it all preference?

Years
Yeah thats about right. It all comes down to which one you prefer. Fire Red IMO is better and you would probably enjoy it better but Red version is the original and is a pretty solid game.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Fire Red is definitely much better for everything but nostalgia value. Red hits a wall after you beat the Elite Four and catch Mewtwo, but Fire Red's post-game content has tons of stuff from the Sevii Islands for more catching/exploring to tougher Elite Four rematches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back