• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Apollo

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
Pokemon Apollo BETA 0.3

Hack of Pokemon Fire Red

Intro:

Hello Pokecommunity, I am MrDollSteak (on an old account), I've been hacking very basically for a few years now, my main focus is with spriting, pokemon design etc. However I was inspired by a friend working on a hack with fakemon to get involved in my own hack. I decided rather than creating new fakemon, I'd make a more artistic hack of FireRed with changes primarily in the storyline, tilesets and sprites. I had to learn scripting, hex editing and a few other skills such as basic ASM, but in only a month I have to say that progress has been very good, despite a few bugs. Since I have always loved Team Rocket, I felt suddenly inspired to make a Team Rocket centric hack. I've seen a few hacks that have explored this theme, but personally felt they didn't encapsulate the spirit of Team Rocket and were missing basic changes such as custom tilesets or sprites. I am still by no means the best hacker out there, but I feel some of the scripts, sprites and tiles set the game apart from Firered and other Team Rocket hacks.

Storyline:
Spoiler:

• Screenshots:
    txz6Mcm.png

Disclaimer:
    Spoiler:

New Features:
    Spoiler:

Future Features:
    Spoiler:

Bugs/Glitches:

Spoiler:

Green = Easily fixed / working on
    Orange = Vaguely aware how to fix, haven't given it much time
    Red = Not entirely sure how to fix

These are the known glitches, if for some reason you encounter any others feel free to let me know.
    Additionally, if any of you know the solution to any of these glitches, any help would be much obliged.

Credits to:
    Spoiler:

Support Banner:

Credits to Troock for making this!

Download Link:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I'm surprised that I'm the first poster here :/

Anyways, I look forward to playing this! Looks nice, and I love the starters!

VERGUNDAI

RomHacker, Unity 3D Maker
Years
Nice, I love how you redone the tileset in HGSS style.

BTW did you edit all of Firered maps?
Just wondering cuz that'd be awesome, replaying the Kanto region in this style on the GBA

MrDollSteak

Years
Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the support so far, in reference to a few of the questions.

BTW did you edit all of Firered maps?
Just wondering cuz that'd be awesome, replaying the Kanto region in this style on the GBA

I have not currently edited all the Kanto maps, however I will in the future. At this stage there are a few cities I haven't planned to implement (Cinnabar Island, Pewter City, Pallet Town, etc.) To compensate, I will include cities and routes in Johto such as Goldenrod City, and Mahogany Town, the main areas where Team Rocket stirs up trouble.

Looks great man! You're working alone in this hack?

Yes I am currently working alone in this hack, I've consulted a few friends in regards to glitches, but I'm doing all the work. I am open to accept help once I need it (probably ASM work, and bug fixing).

blue

gucci
Years
I recognize those tilesets from HGSS, they look great! I also love the fact that this is a Rocket Hack which aren't that common.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out, nice work!

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
This hack looks awesome ^^ I love the intro! Is there more in the storyline? it seems short. Your mapping needs improvements too.

MrDollSteak

Years
This hack looks awesome ^^ I love the intro! Is there more in the storyline? it seems short. Your mapping needs improvements too.

The storyline in the document only describes the first two gyms, and even then it is in less detail than the actual game. The game is in fact fairly storyline driven, I just don't want to reveal too much at this point. Think all the things that Team Rocket do in Firered, Leafgreen, Heartgold and Soulsilver. That's the main story.

Do you have any specific points to talk about in reference to the mapping? I would also like to point out some of the maps are actually outdated.

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
Do you have any specific points to talk about in reference to the mapping? I would also like to point out some of the maps are actually outdated.

Here is the whole list:

Before we begin, your indoor mapping is okay. Just thought I'd say that first.

1) 3rd row, 4th screenshot. (all will be counted from the left.)

The grass (note: grass, not bush) needs darker coloring, and a bit more detail, but don't overdo them.)

2) 4th row, 1st screenshot.

The map looks really plain. Add more flowers or maybe a tree or two.

3) 4th row, 2nd screenshot.

That line of green stone thingies (which I'd call ''plant'' from now on) seem really unnatural. Try adding a variety of restrictors like fences, green hedges etc.

Same applies for the 3rd (and 4th) screenshots.

4) 5th row, 1st screenshot.

Looks plain too, add those smaller trees, or even bigger trees if you are confident about your tiling. (By bigger tree, I refer to the 12-blocked versions)

5) Final row, 2nd and 3rd screenshots.

Add more rocks. The cave looks very unnatural.

6) Final row, 5th screenshot.

Way too little details in the in the dessert.

Don't worry, beginner mappers are like that. The thing u must remember is to never EVER get help for your mapping. Advices and tips from others are okay, but don't depend on other mappers or you will never learn mapping yourself. I will VM you a small mapping tutorial my cousin made.

AmazingCharizard

Pokemon Rocket Strike creator
Years
Really great that you want to make a Team Rocket hack. Fuligin was quite a good hack and there were some other attempts, hope that you make it better. Looks very promising(I´m working on a hack where you work for Team Rocket, too). Good luck and don´t surrender.
EDIT: By the way. how far does it go yet?
EDIT2: Just saw, 2nd gym.

Last edited:

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Ugh, another woof about Team Rocket :(

MrDollSteak

Years
Here is the whole list:

Before we begin, your indoor mapping is okay. Just thought I'd say that first.

1) 3rd row, 4th screenshot. (all will be counted from the left.)

The grass (note: grass, not bush) needs darker coloring, and a bit more detail, but don't overdo them.)

2) 4th row, 1st screenshot.

The map looks really plain. Add more flowers or maybe a tree or two.

3) 4th row, 2nd screenshot.

That line of green stone thingies (which I'd call ''plant'' from now on) seem really unnatural. Try adding a variety of restrictors like fences, green hedges etc.

Same applies for the 3rd (and 4th) screenshots.

4) 5th row, 1st screenshot.

Looks plain too, add those smaller trees, or even bigger trees if you are confident about your tiling. (By bigger tree, I refer to the 12-blocked versions)

5) Final row, 2nd and 3rd screenshots.

Add more rocks. The cave looks very unnatural.

6) Final row, 5th screenshot.

Way too little details in the in the dessert.

Don't worry, beginner mappers are like that. The thing u must remember is to never EVER get help for your mapping. Advices and tips from others are okay, but don't depend on other mappers or you will never learn mapping yourself. I will VM you a small mapping tutorial my cousin made.

I would like to point out that I am by no means a beginner mapper. I have been mapping for a long period of time. Additionally, I would like to point out that outside of flowers, these maps are the ones that Game Freak has made for Firered and Leafgreen, with slight alterations to make them appear as they do in Heartgold and Soulsilver, with a significant tileset change. Mt. Moon looks like that in both Firered and Heartgold. Also the grass is official Heartgold grass.

I realise that you are trying to help, and I understand some of your concerns, but considering the maps are based off of existing Kanto maps from Nintendo, it is not necessarily my fault that certain things can be considered plain.

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Years
Ugh, another woof about Team Rocket :(

Hahaha I get your point, it is fairly overdone. My main
reason for making a hack about Team Rocket was that
I felt other hacks didn't necessarily feel particularly
gripping or powerful. I hope mine will, partially due to
the graphics and increased difficulty.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
I think
frankerz.png
would really set this hack apart.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
looking at the media i thought it was a HG/SS hack till i read "FireRed Hack:" nice job.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 9, 2020
Great hack man! I appreciate alternative things with classic Pokemon instead of the tipical journey through the region; I've always be a fan of James (we both have the same haircut xD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back