Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.

TrollandToad.com
 
 
Thread Tools
  #451    
Old February 5th, 2013 (9:46 PM).
PlatinumDude's Avatar
PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is online now
Nyeh?
  • Gold Tier
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Posts: 12,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
Is a raining Trick team a good idea. With a Slowbro, Ferrothorn, Magnazone and perhaps a slow Ludicolo with rain dish. Or is it better to just do a rain team with Swift swim abusers
Swift Swim + Drizzle is banned in simulators, but not on WiFi. Might be better to find a backup TR user for this to be a true Trick Room team.
__________________


Relevant Advertising!

  #452    
Old February 5th, 2013 (9:54 PM).
WingedDragon's Avatar
WingedDragon WingedDragon is offline
Competitive Trainer
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Location: Milwaukee, WI
    Age: 30
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Serious
    Posts: 1,259
    Thing is I dont use Sims. My experience is the people who use them cheat and cheat often. Back up TR user, you mean someone like Slowbro?
    __________________
    X- 2406 5987 8799
    PS3 - Mkeborn87
    IGN - Adrian
      #453    
    Old February 6th, 2013 (4:30 AM).
    Lord_Storm's Avatar
    Lord_Storm Lord_Storm is offline
       
      Join Date: Sep 2009
      Location: Australia
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 305
      I've been pretty successful battling with my Darmanitan with my friends, but it doesn't seem to cut it competitively. I can re-breed another one if this one's no good.

      Darmanitan
      -Fire Punch
      -Earthquake
      -Rock Slide
      -U-turn

      Nature: Adamant
      EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
      Item: Choice Scarf

      Any kind of tips on how to improve would be appreciated.
        #454    
      Old February 6th, 2013 (4:47 AM).
      Miss Doronjo's Avatar
      Miss Doronjo Miss Doronjo is offline
      Gaiden
         
        Join Date: Oct 2010
        Location: Toronto, Ontario
        Age: 24
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Quirky
        Posts: 4,488
        Actually, that Darmanitan looks pretty good! Alternatively, you could try Flare Blitz > Fire Punch for more power, or even try out Superpower against stuff like Heatran or Normal-type pokemon.
        __________________

        Hawthorne Guardian
        Moderator of Video Games
        Paired to: Perdition Haze

        Pokémon:PhoenixRising
        Sylvie
          #455    
        Old February 6th, 2013 (6:01 AM).
        Lord_Storm's Avatar
        Lord_Storm Lord_Storm is offline
           
          Join Date: Sep 2009
          Location: Australia
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 305
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
          Actually, that Darmanitan looks pretty good! Alternatively, you could try Flare Blitz > Fire Punch for more power, or even try out Superpower against stuff like Heatran or Normal-type pokemon.
          It works pretty well, but I think I may try the Flare Blitz because it usually struggles to OHKO with neutral Fire Punch. I doubt I'll use Superpower though because it lowers Attack.
            #456    
          Old February 6th, 2013 (6:11 AM).
          PlatinumDude's Avatar
          PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is online now
          Nyeh?
          • Gold Tier
           
          Join Date: Aug 2010
          Location: Canada
          Age: 23
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Hasty
          Posts: 12,897
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Lord_Storm View Post
          It works pretty well, but I think I may try the Flare Blitz because it usually struggles to OHKO with neutral Fire Punch. I doubt I'll use Superpower though because it lowers Attack.
          Superpower is actually important for Darmanitan so that it can hit bulky Normals like Snorlax (who has Thick Fat to reduce the damage Flare Blitz does to it), Porygon2 (who has Eviolite to buff its defenses) and any opponent who carries Air Balloon to avoid Earthquake (like Heatran, who's immune to Flare Blitz thanks to Flash Fire and Terrakion, who resists Flare Blitz). EQ is the safe option, though, and should only be used if you've broken your opponent's Air Balloons. And given the fact that Choice users aren't meant to stay in battle for long (they get in, attack, then get out), Superpower is still the better option.
          __________________

            #457    
          Old February 7th, 2013 (2:19 AM).
          Satoshi Ookami's Avatar
          Satoshi Ookami Satoshi Ookami is offline
          Memento Mori
          • Gold Tier
           
          Join Date: Jul 2008
          Location: Abyss of Time, Great Seal
          Age: 25
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Calm
          Posts: 14,503
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Lord_Storm View Post
          I've been pretty successful battling with my Darmanitan with my friends, but it doesn't seem to cut it competitively. I can re-breed another one if this one's no good.

          Darmanitan
          -Fire Punch
          -Earthquake
          -Rock Slide
          -U-turn

          Nature: Adamant
          EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
          Item: Choice Scarf

          Any kind of tips on how to improve would be appreciated.
          If your Darmanitan has Sheer Force then Flare Blitz is very good choice.
          Also... if it does, you may switch Choice Scarf with Life Orb and go for Superpower instead of U-Turn.
          __________________
          ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack.

          Anime List | PSN Trophy List
            #458    
          Old February 7th, 2013 (3:40 AM).
          Lord_Storm's Avatar
          Lord_Storm Lord_Storm is offline
             
            Join Date: Sep 2009
            Location: Australia
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Relaxed
            Posts: 305
            Thanks guys. I'm not too sure about replacing the Choice Scarf because Darmanitan will then be hit first by most things and it isn't too bulky.

            About Superpower, what would be best to replace with it?
              #459    
            Old February 7th, 2013 (4:09 AM).
            Aryan143's Avatar
            Aryan143 Aryan143 is offline
            The Fennekin Fan!
               
              Join Date: Jul 2012
              Location: Delhi, India
              Age: 17
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Modest
              Posts: 756
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Lord_Storm View Post
              Thanks guys. I'm not too sure about replacing the Choice Scarf because Darmanitan will then be hit first by most things and it isn't too bulky.

              About Superpower, what would be best to replace with it?
              U-turn if you are not using Choice Scarf and Rock Slide if you are using Choice Scarf.
              __________________
              Check out my gaming company:

                #460    
              Old February 7th, 2013 (5:56 AM).
              Miss Doronjo's Avatar
              Miss Doronjo Miss Doronjo is offline
              Gaiden
                 
                Join Date: Oct 2010
                Location: Toronto, Ontario
                Age: 24
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Quirky
                Posts: 4,488
                I'd honestly prefer if you take out Earthquake, and replace with Superpower, since it pretty much super effectively hits your main threats like Terrakion or Heatran, without worrying about Air Balloon. Plus, Rock Slide can be needed for Dragonite or other Flying Dragons.
                __________________

                Hawthorne Guardian
                Moderator of Video Games
                Paired to: Perdition Haze

                Pokémon:PhoenixRising
                Sylvie
                  #461    
                Old February 7th, 2013 (11:39 PM).
                Lord_Storm's Avatar
                Lord_Storm Lord_Storm is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Sep 2009
                  Location: Australia
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Relaxed
                  Posts: 305
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
                  I'd honestly prefer if you take out Earthquake, and replace with Superpower, since it pretty much super effectively hits your main threats like Terrakion or Heatran, without worrying about Air Balloon. Plus, Rock Slide can be needed for Dragonite or other Flying Dragons.
                  I think I'll go with this. I never really thought about it that way because I almost always have EQ on my physical Pokemon (which I've generally stopped doing more recently because people I battle often have all started using Air Balloons). Thank you very much :D
                    #462    
                  Old February 8th, 2013 (9:49 AM).
                  Dragonmage's Avatar
                  Dragonmage Dragonmage is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Mar 2012
                    Location: NY
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Calm
                    Posts: 39
                    I've got a timid natured Keldeo from the event that just happened. Build ideas?
                    __________________

                    Check out my trade shop http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296739
                    Midori and I will both thank you!

                    Pokemon White FC: 0905 2241 5057
                    Pokemon White 2 FC: 3096 5973 8776
                      #463    
                    Old February 8th, 2013 (10:07 AM).
                    PlatinumDude's Avatar
                    PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is online now
                    Nyeh?
                    • Gold Tier
                     
                    Join Date: Aug 2010
                    Location: Canada
                    Age: 23
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Hasty
                    Posts: 12,897
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Dragonmage View Post
                    I've got a timid natured Keldeo from the event that just happened. Build ideas?
                    Depending on its IVs, these sets should be used:
                    -Hydro Pump
                    -Secret Sword
                    -Hidden Power (Ice)
                    -Surf
                    Nature: Timid
                    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
                    Item: Choice Scarf

                    or
                    -Calm Mind
                    -Surf/Hydro Pump
                    -Secret Sword
                    -Hidden Power (Ghost/Ice)/Substitute
                    Nature: Timid
                    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
                    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

                    or
                    -Hydro Pump
                    -Secret Sword
                    -Hidden Power (Ghost/Electric)
                    -Icy Wind/Surf
                    Nature: Timid
                    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
                    Item: Choice Specs

                    or
                    -Hydro Pump
                    -Secret Sword
                    -Icy Wind
                    -Hidden Power (Bug/Electric)/Rain Dance
                    Nature: Timid
                    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
                    Item: Expert Belt
                    __________________

                      #464    
                    Old February 8th, 2013 (10:11 AM).
                    Dragonmage's Avatar
                    Dragonmage Dragonmage is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Mar 2012
                      Location: NY
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Calm
                      Posts: 39
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
                      Depending on its IVs, these sets should be used:
                      It's IVs are:

                      HP: 24 - 25
                      Att: 30 - 31
                      Def: 12 - 13
                      SpA: 12 - 13
                      SpD: 12 - 13
                      Speed: 10 - 11

                      So, not the best. Could be worse I guess.
                      __________________

                      Check out my trade shop http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296739
                      Midori and I will both thank you!

                      Pokemon White FC: 0905 2241 5057
                      Pokemon White 2 FC: 3096 5973 8776
                        #465    
                      Old February 8th, 2013 (12:28 PM).
                      Nicktaco's Avatar
                      Nicktaco Nicktaco is offline
                      Hot Sensation
                         
                        Join Date: Feb 2013
                        Location: Around Toronto
                        Gender: Male
                        Posts: 20
                        i was thinking maybe a Jellycent or should i do something else
                          #466    
                        Old February 8th, 2013 (12:43 PM).
                        Griffinbane's Avatar
                        Griffinbane Griffinbane is offline
                        I hate Smeargle.
                        • Gold Tier
                         
                        Join Date: Mar 2008
                        Location: Pennsylvania, US
                        Age: 29
                        Gender: Female
                        Nature: Lax
                        Posts: 1,326
                        What are you using it for? Bulky water list is pretty big and includes Jellicent, Lapras, Vaporeon, Swampert, Gastrodon, etc.
                        __________________
                        Terriermon and Lopmon

                        White: 1463 5558 5309
                        X: 2208 5685 5454
                        - - - -
                          #467    
                        Old February 8th, 2013 (12:49 PM).
                        Nicktaco's Avatar
                        Nicktaco Nicktaco is offline
                        Hot Sensation
                           
                          Join Date: Feb 2013
                          Location: Around Toronto
                          Gender: Male
                          Posts: 20
                          well i have a team that needs a good water type and i thought maybe a bulky water would be nice
                            #468    
                          Old February 8th, 2013 (1:11 PM).
                          PlatinumDude's Avatar
                          PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is online now
                          Nyeh?
                          • Gold Tier
                           
                          Join Date: Aug 2010
                          Location: Canada
                          Age: 23
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Hasty
                          Posts: 12,897
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Nicktaco View Post
                          well i have a team that needs a good water type and i thought maybe a bulky water would be nice
                          If you want to check opposing Rain teams, Gastrodon is the bulky Water of choice:
                          -Earthquake/Earth Power
                          -Scald/Ice Beam
                          -Toxic
                          -Recover
                          Nature: Sassy/Calm
                          EVs: 252 HP/84 Def/172 SDef
                          Item: Leftovers
                          Ability: Storm Drain

                          or
                          -Surf/Scald
                          -Earth Power
                          -Ice Beam
                          -Hidden Power (Grass)/Recover
                          Nature: Modest
                          EVs: 124 HP/252 SAtk/132 SDef
                          Item: Choice Specs
                          Ability: Storm Drain

                          For other bulky Waters to use in general, here are some other options:

                          Tentacruel:
                          -Scald
                          -Toxic/Toxic Spikes
                          -Rapid Spin
                          -Substitute/Protect
                          Nature: Bold
                          EVs: 252 HP/236 Def/20 Spe
                          Item: Black Sludge
                          Ability: Rain Dish

                          Jellicent:
                          -Scald
                          -Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
                          -Recover
                          -Taunt
                          Nature: Bold
                          EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 Spe
                          Item: Leftovers

                          or
                          -Scald/Surf
                          -Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
                          -Recover
                          -Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
                          Nature: Calm
                          EVs: 252 HP/36 Def/220 SDef
                          Item: Leftovers
                          Ability: Water Absorb

                          or
                          -Water Spout
                          -Hydro Pump/Surf/Scald
                          -Shadow Ball
                          -Ice Beam/Giga Drain
                          Nature: Modest
                          EVs: 172 HP/252 SAtk/84 Spe
                          Item: Choice Specs
                          Ability: Water Absorb

                          Rotom-W:
                          -Volt Switch
                          -Hydro Pump
                          -Will-o-Wisp
                          -Pain Split/Hidden Power (Ice)
                          Nature: Modest
                          EVs: 232 HP/56 SAtk/220 Spe
                          Item: Leftovers

                          or
                          -Volt Switch
                          -Hydro Pump
                          -Thunder Wave/Will-o-Wisp
                          -Pain Split
                          Nature: Calm
                          EVs: 248 HP/28 SAtk/232 SDef
                          Item: Leftovers

                          Vaporeon:
                          -Scald
                          -Wish
                          -Protect
                          -Roar/Toxic/Ice Beam
                          Nature: Bold
                          EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe
                          Item: Leftovers
                          Ability: Water Absorb

                          Really, just choose which bulky Water your team needs.
                          __________________

                            #469    
                          Old February 9th, 2013 (8:41 PM).
                          WingedDragon's Avatar
                          WingedDragon WingedDragon is offline
                          Competitive Trainer
                             
                            Join Date: May 2012
                            Location: Milwaukee, WI
                            Age: 30
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Serious
                            Posts: 1,259
                            I need to if IVs are my pokes problems. I CAN NOT figure out what is wrong. I know it cant just be moves. Each of the numbers will be in order of HP, Atk, Def, Sp Atk, Sp Def, Spd

                            Haxrous: lonely; Hp IV 21; Atk 29; def 11; Sp Atk 18; Sp Def 10; Spd 29

                            Lucario: lonely; 7, 31, 22, 25, 21,11

                            Hydreigon: Mild; 14, 13, 2, 25, 12, 29

                            Zoroark: Hasty; 31, 30, 31, 31, 30, 30

                            Starmie: Timid; 15, 28, 6, 29, 29, 30

                            Arcanine: Hasty; 19, 31, 7, 26, 24, 24

                            Garchomp: Lonely; 0, 31, 8, 8, 18, 30

                            Magnazone: Modest; 16, 9, 5, 30, 12, 11
                            __________________
                            X- 2406 5987 8799
                            PS3 - Mkeborn87
                            IGN - Adrian
                              #470    
                            Old February 9th, 2013 (9:44 PM).
                            PlatinumDude's Avatar
                            PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is online now
                            Nyeh?
                            • Gold Tier
                             
                            Join Date: Aug 2010
                            Location: Canada
                            Age: 23
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Hasty
                            Posts: 12,897
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
                            I need to if IVs are my pokes problems. I CAN NOT figure out what is wrong. I know it cant just be moves. Each of the numbers will be in order of HP, Atk, Def, Sp Atk, Sp Def, Spd

                            Haxrous: lonely; Hp IV 21; Atk 29; def 11; Sp Atk 18; Sp Def 10; Spd 29

                            Lucario: lonely; 7, 31, 22, 25, 21,11

                            Hydreigon: Mild; 14, 13, 2, 25, 12, 29

                            Zoroark: Hasty; 31, 30, 31, 31, 30, 30

                            Starmie: Timid; 15, 28, 6, 29, 29, 30

                            Arcanine: Hasty; 19, 31, 7, 26, 24, 24

                            Garchomp: Lonely; 0, 31, 8, 8, 18, 30

                            Magnazone: Modest; 16, 9, 5, 30, 12, 11
                            In my IV conditions that IVs of 20-31 in the most-used stats are good, everyone but Magnezone is good. Just don't use physical moves on Hydreigon.
                            __________________

                              #471    
                            Old February 9th, 2013 (9:44 PM).
                            Miss Doronjo's Avatar
                            Miss Doronjo Miss Doronjo is offline
                            Gaiden
                               
                              Join Date: Oct 2010
                              Location: Toronto, Ontario
                              Age: 24
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Quirky
                              Posts: 4,488
                              Well most competitive players have pokemon that have an IV of 31 in their most important stat (eg. Spe = 31 with a Jolly nature). Your IVs aren't exactly perfect as some are only at 30 (which sometimes it would be enough for Hidden Power purposes).

                              For instance, I'd suggest that your Lucario have more IVs in speed for it to be faster when you're trying to sweep, or else you'll find yourself out sped by other 31 speed IV'd Lucarios. The same goes for your Arcanine and Magnezone.
                              __________________

                              Hawthorne Guardian
                              Moderator of Video Games
                              Paired to: Perdition Haze

                              Pokémon:PhoenixRising
                              Sylvie
                                #472    
                              Old February 10th, 2013 (7:13 PM).
                              WingedDragon's Avatar
                              WingedDragon WingedDragon is offline
                              Competitive Trainer
                                 
                                Join Date: May 2012
                                Location: Milwaukee, WI
                                Age: 30
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Serious
                                Posts: 1,259
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
                                Well most competitive players have pokemon that have an IV of 31 in their most important stat (eg. Spe = 31 with a Jolly nature). Your IVs aren't exactly perfect as some are only at 30 (which sometimes it would be enough for Hidden Power purposes).

                                For instance, I'd suggest that your Lucario have more IVs in speed for it to be faster when you're trying to sweep, or else you'll find yourself out sped by other 31 speed IV'd Lucarios. The same goes for your Arcanine and Magnezone.

                                Do the IVs have to be perfect in order to compete with national or world competitions?
                                __________________
                                X- 2406 5987 8799
                                PS3 - Mkeborn87
                                IGN - Adrian
                                  #473    
                                Old February 10th, 2013 (7:44 PM).
                                Miss Doronjo's Avatar
                                Miss Doronjo Miss Doronjo is offline
                                Gaiden
                                   
                                  Join Date: Oct 2010
                                  Location: Toronto, Ontario
                                  Age: 24
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Quirky
                                  Posts: 4,488
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
                                  Do the IVs have to be perfect in order to compete with national or world competitions?
                                  Technically no, but it'll be the best chance you can have ~
                                  __________________

                                  Hawthorne Guardian
                                  Moderator of Video Games
                                  Paired to: Perdition Haze

                                  Pokémon:PhoenixRising
                                  Sylvie
                                    #474    
                                  Old February 10th, 2013 (7:47 PM).
                                  WingedDragon's Avatar
                                  WingedDragon WingedDragon is offline
                                  Competitive Trainer
                                     
                                    Join Date: May 2012
                                    Location: Milwaukee, WI
                                    Age: 30
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Serious
                                    Posts: 1,259
                                    Whats the likelyhood of breeding such Ivs w/o RNG abusing
                                    __________________
                                    X- 2406 5987 8799
                                    PS3 - Mkeborn87
                                    IGN - Adrian
                                      #475    
                                    Old February 10th, 2013 (9:17 PM).
                                    PlatinumDude's Avatar
                                    PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is online now
                                    Nyeh?
                                    • Gold Tier
                                     
                                    Join Date: Aug 2010
                                    Location: Canada
                                    Age: 23
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Hasty
                                    Posts: 12,897
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
                                    Whats the likelyhood of breeding such Ivs w/o RNG abusing
                                    Very low if you want the offspring to have perfect IVs all round.
                                    __________________

                                     

                                    Quick Reply

                                    Join the conversation!

                                    Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                    Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                    Sponsored Links
                                    Thread Tools

                                    Posting Rules
                                    You may not post new threads
                                    You may not post replies
                                    You may not post attachments
                                    You may not edit your posts

                                    BB code is On
                                    Smilies are On
                                    [IMG] code is On
                                    HTML code is Off

                                    Forum Jump


                                    All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:00 AM.