• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
It's pretty accurate minus a few things, if you are going for as close as possible

1) there shuold be a second path coming from the east of the bridge area, doesn't have to be connected to the bridge, just have one

2) There should be two cut trees in the south fence of the city, and on the East exit (East exit would also need a boulder)

3) You should probably extend the southern-most paths as they do just keep on going, and consider using light posts there if you want

Overall this map is very well done just these minor issues, I remember your Route 4 map had many errors in it but this is a vast improvement.

9.3/10
To start off, this isn't supposed to be an EXACT replica, as I don't like the way Nintendo made the maps in some ways.

1) For my game I've decided not to include the side-path, seeing as in real life, there'd be no need for a bridge, if you could just walk beside it anyways.

2) This map is a "Print Screen" straight out of RMXP, so no events such as Cut-trees are visible. They are there.
Not sure what you mean about the east exit, but the mountains will be added on Route 9 instead of being visible inside the town, and afaik, the cut tree to the east is on Route 9 aswell.

3) Sounds like a good idea, Thanks!

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
Decided to drop another map here for review.

Mount Moon Square
Spoiler:

This map was originally introduced in GSC, and brought back in HgSs, as a small area inside Mt Moon where Clefairy would gather on Mondays to dance around that pond. There was a small gift shop run by a grandmother and her granddaughter, or something like that, and it would close down on Monday Nights.

I personally believed it made no sense to have it as an area lodged who knows where within the mountains, and decided to make it where the exit of Mt Moon was, which also made no sense (Why would a stairway lead into a cave exit?).

The design I based it off of was the Heart Gold/Soul Silver design:
Spoiler:

It's not meant to exactly resemble the original design, but was loosely based off of it.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
The layout of both maps is quite nice. The trees you used in the first map are clashing horribly with the other tiles, either recolour them or use the FRLG ones. I also think you went a bit overboard with the flowers in both maps. The ledges under both buildings don't really have a purpose, but the one on the top map looks nice. I'd remove the one from the bottom map though.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
Those trees are a placeholder for the time being, I need to insert the trees I normally use into the tileset, and those will tell me where I need to place them when I insert them.
As for the flowers, yeah, I suppose I could decrease them. I only went overboard because it felt like there was too much unused space in comparison with the map

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Here's a map I just came up with a little while ago

Spoiler:

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Here's a map I just came up with a little while ago

Spoiler:

I want to like the map, I really like the idea and history you put behind the map; and I hope other maps are this intricate as well. However it is entirely too empty; you need to add more pizzazz, more feeling, more interesting terrain. everything is in a box formation, naturally, nature does not form in such a fashion, it moves around, its random, its crazy; show this in your mountain ranges. Make the borders of them(the walls) flow and move around.
The river is too linear, you need to make it flow more, I get that its dried up, but make a path of clowing water, and add dirt or soil that would replicate the "flowing" nature of the once great river. other than that its a nice start to a potentially great map. Good luck with this map and fix it up!

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Thanks for the the Review Saving Raven, I was testing around with another Canyon map I had and decided to make it more Fertile so here it is. By the way neither of these maps are going to be in a game.

Spoiler:

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Heres Deck City in PKMN Chaos Mind.
Spoiler:
I'm going to blunt here, that map looks terrible. It can turn into a decent map with some work though.

The layout of the road is a good thing to base your city on, however, the buildings aren't properly aligned. It looks weird having varying widths of the road, try using 3 or four tile wide roads throughout the city.

the top part of the map looks really bad. It's like you duct-taped it on a town, the buildings don't match with the rest, and the are placed horribly. You should try placing the roads in front of them, not underneath them.

The fenced-in trees look nice, though their placement could've been a lot better. Try placing them between next to the vertical parts of the road.

I get the impression that this map was really rushed, like you just selected thins from the tileset and just splatted them together. Take your time while mapping, play test the game and walk through your map, pretending that this is the first time you visit it. Does everything look natural? Does it really give you the feeling you intended it to have? Do you know where you're supposed to go?

Anyway, please don't feel offended by this, I'm just trying to help you.

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
I return, with my newly updated Cerulean City.
It has been updated with regards to comments here and on DeviantART.
Spoiler:

Since you aren't basing this as closely to Cerulean as FR/LG did to R/B/G I'll just imagine this as a regular town/city map.

This is a very well developed map in comparison to your last one, I think the inclusion of pavement was a good choice it shows this is a city not just some small town with a gym, your detail to levels is very well done especially around Cerulean cave which could have had a different colour palette but meh...

I'm not so sure about the change at the bottom of the map where there is the lower section I would've thought it was elevated. It does bring shape into question for me, it doesn't seem to entirely work to its finest.

The North-East section is excellent, whether you will permit any access to that darker water or not in Route 25 wouldn't faze me in the slightest it would open up more opportunities I guess but you don't have to.

This map has two things I don't like. The first is the 4th Gen guards being there. Whether you wanted female guards as to follow with Kanto's major police force or not. Though if you had updated them to 5th Gen with the rest of the map would've been nice. The second one is that Western entrance/exit, I'm not sure what you were exactly going for but if there was more separation between the Dirt path and the Road would've been better or if you melded the two together. Overall this map is significantly better than your last Cerulean Map and if you chose to keep this map as is that would still be great. 9.98/10

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the Police-officers:
This isn't a Generation 5 remake. More like... Generation 4.5?
I'm using the DPPt/HGSS Overworlds, in a more realistically sized tileset. (I thought it was strange how the doors were always smaller than the actual people)
And I have no intention of going over to Gen 5 Overworlds, I really dislike them.

About the South area:
I know in all other "remakes" the southern "middle path" has been elevated and not low down, but I didn't know how else to fit the ledge in there.
I might just fence the whole area off, and make it the Day-Care area? (Like Four Island or Route 117.)
There really was never any purpose for it, except to make it harder to reach the Day-care, which I think is silly, now that I think about it.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years

I really like the fact that you used the different pavement styles so well, and I think the additional exits covered by policemen and barricades really add to Cerulean City's appearance in a logical fashion(An exit through a civilian's house? Why!?) I do feel, though, that the trees leading to Nugget Bridge need some indication that they aren't simply growing straight out of the pavement(Which may require new tiles or to use the ones which border the bike shop's backyard). Speaking of which, I think you might want to make the back of the bike shop a bit sandier, as the grass seems rather out of place for a business. Finally, Cerulean Cave looks very nice with the additional levels, but it feels too small. I'd try making another level of rock face and then having it narrow off.

A test map I drew of an early-game mountain pass(To get a sense of it - Just before a player would get Cut, but they would get Rock Smash closer to mid-game. The cave would lead to a town, as would the north, south, and east paths.)
Spoiler:

A player's house(I tried to go for a more lived-in look)
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
A test map I drew of an early-game mountain pass(To get a sense of it - Just before a player would get Cut, but they would get Rock Smash closer to mid-game. The cave would lead to a town, as would the north, south, and east paths.)
Spoiler:

I'll just review the first one the mountain pass. To put it bluntly it's good but not that good.

The good things: You've effectively used different land levels and landscapes. This can be refined to a more harsh path with more levels to make the journey more like a passage. The assortment of Grass and Mountain (not Rocks) is well done there is definetly a good amount of mountain for this route.

There are several trhing you could patch up however.

The first is the Rocks (not the Rock Smash rocks). These are too orderly like they were place there. Try to make them be replaced by something like higher or lower levels of the mountain to give it a more realistic touch.

Second is the Grass. Yes you can include grass however you should make it higher and have dirt on the lower levels. Definetly do not make the lower levels sand based unless you decide to include a water segment.

Thirdly is the house. I know in some pokemon games there is usually a house outside a mountain for healing purposes but this situation doesn't fit well, the house should look like it was carved by the mountain, use Rock or Wood based houses not Cement. A good choice would be something like Fortree City houses.

Fourthly, try to keep your path even in length, a small 1 square path in the middle looks really bad and try to include less obvious (go this way for cake) pathing. Patch it up so it looks more rugged. Demolish some of the path if you have to.

Lastly, this one isn't a minus this is just me asking. What is with the flowers and pokeball. I'm pretty sure a mountain is more likely to have trees than Flowers. The pokeball I don't understand It seems inaccessible unless you plan to include an exit through the house which you should show with dirt or sand paths.

Overall this map seems a bit rushed but it has some good potential give yourself a timeframe to work with and improve on this maps weaknesses so it looks like it belongs in a game (also you have a few block errors the one I noticed was on the West wall of the right mountain). 5.6/10

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
While I respect your opinion, please allow me to offer my counterarguments:
The first is the Rocks (not the Rock Smash rocks). These are too orderly like they were place there. Try to make them be replaced by something like higher or lower levels of the mountain to give it a more realistic touch.
The intention was that the rocks WERE deliberately placed, as the path had been cleared at a recent point in time, as well as to define the property belonging to the house on the map.

Second is the Grass. Yes you can include grass however you should make it higher and have dirt on the lower levels. Definetly do not make the lower levels sand based unless you decide to include a water segment.

I see no reason that grass cannot be at that level, especially if the route follows along the easiest path as opposed to an artificial path.

Thirdly is the house. I know in some pokemon games there is usually a house outside a mountain for healing purposes but this situation doesn't fit well, the house should look like it was carved by the mountain, use Rock or Wood based houses not Cement. A good choice would be something like Fortree City houses.
For starters, a Fortree City house would've looked out of place, being a Fr/Lg style map. As such, it was really a toss-up and I decided to use one of the houses which provided some "behind-space" (For reasons I'll get to in a sec) Instead, I opted for the most basic-looking house I could, and believe it suits the style intended, although it admittedly is not the same as, for instance, the tin-roofed huts of the Sevii Islands.

Fourthly, try to keep your path even in length, a small 1 square path in the middle looks really bad and try to include less obvious (go this way for cake) pathing. Patch it up so it looks more rugged. Demolish some of the path if you have to.
I'm inclined to disagree by virtue of taste on this one; a path will narrow on less-traveled tangents often, and seemed fitting. As for the less obvious path, I actually followed how I believe the games' maps are designed, with a path more laden with wild Pokemon and an alternative path with more Trainers to battle.(Unfortunately I should have marked that the barebones path had Trainers on it, but at the time of creation I didn't have access to overworld sprites which would represent a Trainer.)

Lastly, this one isn't a minus this is just me asking. What is with the flowers and pokeball. I'm pretty sure a mountain is more likely to have trees than Flowers. The pokeball I don't understand It seems inaccessible unless you plan to include an exit through the house which you should show with dirt or sand paths.
The flowers are more an artificial touch, as they are essentially in the yard of the house. As for the Pokeball, the house is positioned with enough distance from the mountain's foot that a player could walk behind the house to obtain the item contained within.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
I really like the fact that you used the different pavement styles so well, and I think the additional exits covered by policemen and barricades really add to Cerulean City's appearance in a logical fashion(An exit through a civilian's house? Why!?) I do feel, though, that the trees leading to Nugget Bridge need some indication that they aren't simply growing straight out of the pavement(Which may require new tiles or to use the ones which border the bike shop's backyard). Speaking of which, I think you might want to make the back of the bike shop a bit sandier, as the grass seems rather out of place for a business. Finally, Cerulean Cave looks very nice with the additional levels, but it feels too small. I'd try making another level of rock face and then having it narrow off.

i gotta say i disagree with all this about the map in question, i think its very well done, infact its the best remake i've ever seen

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
While I respect your opinion, please allow me to offer my counterarguments:

The intention was that the rocks WERE deliberately placed, as the path had been cleared at a recent point in time, as well as to define the property belonging to the house on the map.

I see no reason that grass cannot be at that level, especially if the route follows along the easiest path as opposed to an artificial path.

For starters, a Fortree City house would've looked out of place, being a Fr/Lg style map. As such, it was really a toss-up and I decided to use one of the houses which provided some "behind-space" (For reasons I'll get to in a sec) Instead, I opted for the most basic-looking house I could, and believe it suits the style intended, although it admittedly is not the same as, for instance, the tin-roofed huts of the Sevii Islands.

I'm inclined to disagree by virtue of taste on this one; a path will narrow on less-traveled tangents often, and seemed fitting. As for the less obvious path, I actually followed how I believe the games' maps are designed, with a path more laden with wild Pokemon and an alternative path with more Trainers to battle.(Unfortunately I should have marked that the barebones path had Trainers on it, but at the time of creation I didn't have access to overworld sprites which would represent a Trainer.)

The flowers are more an artificial touch, as they are essentially in the yard of the house. As for the Pokeball, the house is positioned with enough distance from the mountain's foot that a player could walk behind the house to obtain the item contained within.

So you are telling me your making an artificial mountain? If so please explain why, also on the counterargument about Fortree I was referring to using the Ruby ROM instead, the FR/LG just really only has concrete housing mainly because of Gen I but even the Sevii Islands weren't mountainous houses. Otherwise I can see that all your counterarguments are "valid".

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
The legend continues;
Vermilion City
Spoiler:

First off, WOW! that is incredible for a map, loving everything. This map to me has no negatives so I'll point out my favorite things.

1) The Gym - Thank you for removing that accursed Cut tree that thing was such a pain in Gen I, I hope you decide to do the same for Celadon when you get to it. The gym alone is very well placed distant from the houses yet not too far away. I'm loving that you kept the left wall though.

2) The building Lot - Since I have no idea whether this was same time as R/B/G or in the future I didn't know what to expect but you've done an excellent job making it look like a definite starting sight, though whether you decide to keep that grass around the edge or not may enhance or hinder the image.

3) Miscellaneous items - I'm talking the Bin, Crates and Buoys. The Bin just seems appropriate probably because Vermillion is one of the larger cities. The Crates seem to just fit the port considering it was until Gen II the only dock for Ships, you could hide items behind the crates if you wanted. The third thing being those Buoys, they fit the scenery very well and make a good impression for the city

Overall very well done 9.999999999999999999999999999999999/10

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Both the remakes of vermillion and cerulean look amazing! Gotta say i like the vermilion one better though, as i like cerulean better with some grass rather than all paved up. (Like in fr/lg)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back