ROM Hacking Help Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old February 13th, 2013 (4:25 PM).
Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
    Anyone has an idea why whenever I open XSE 1.1.1 on my PC, it automatically closes like 2 seconds after i get the main window of it?
    Old February 13th, 2013 (4:39 PM).
    What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Anbuja's_BlooDY View Post
      Anyone has an idea why whenever I open XSE 1.1.1 on my PC, it automatically closes like 2 seconds after i get the main window of it?
      Open the .ini, make autoupdatecheck=0.

If it doesn't exist, add it under the [options] section.

Paired with Simba
      Old February 13th, 2013 (5:33 PM).
      The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D's Avatar
      The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D is offline

A friend of mine told me i am able to insert bw sprites into firered and leafgreen, and im making a hack, am i able to do that even with the size difference, if so how? D:

Old February 13th, 2013 (6:11 PM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D View Post
          A friend of mine told me i am able to insert bw sprites into firered and leafgreen, and im making a hack, am i able to do that even with the size difference, if so how? D:
          You have to shrink them, or wait for Chaos Rush to do it. Check out his DS Styled 64x64 Sprite Resource.

Paired with Simba
          Old February 13th, 2013 (6:22 PM). Edited February 13th, 2013 by The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D.
          The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D is offline

do you have a link to them?

Or how can i resize the pokemon without distorting it?

Old February 13th, 2013 (7:05 PM).
            The Booze Cruise

How do you delete the option to choose between Boy or Girl in Fire Red? Is it possible to just make the character automatically male?
              Old February 13th, 2013 (7:16 PM). Edited February 13th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
                do you have a link to them?

Or how can i resize the pokemon without distorting it?
                http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=267728

Patcience.... Lots and lots of it. I use GIMP and what I do is shrink the image down to an appropriate size, then make corrections until it looks good.

I believe Chaos draws many of them from scratch, though it takes some true talent to do that, I could never get a sprite to look remotely good from scratch.

Edit: Chaos, if you see this, I am not kissing up to you. I dunno how I made it on as I can't draw to save my life, so I do mean it.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Zemekis View Post
                How do you delete the option to choose between Boy or Girl in Fire Red? Is it possible to just make the character automatically male?
                Just to say, I didn't ignore you earlier, I just don't know. There is a thread around here somewhere dealing with removing the intro. If you go back a bunch of pages in this thread, someone asked about removing the intro and got a bunch of links. (December, maybe? I know if happened, or was it the Script help thread... It's in one of them:D) Some of them might be useful.

You could also make it a choice between two guys, that would be the easiest.

Paired with Simba
                Old February 13th, 2013 (7:58 PM).
                The Booze Cruise

Okay, i'll look back through/search the thread. Do you know how to change both options to "Boy"? Both methods are acceptable, so if you could give me some pointers on doing the double-Boy option, that'd be great!
                  Old February 13th, 2013 (9:39 PM).
                  Mew!

in fire red what is it that keeps your pokes from evolving into gen 2 pokemon? I would like to allow users to catch and raise gen 2 pokemon as starters (a catch your own starter instead of taking the 3 choices)
                    Old February 13th, 2013 (10:11 PM).

what program would allow you to make oppenents have shiny,or change shiny encounter rate? and stuff like that? lol

Old February 14th, 2013 (12:28 AM).
                      Memento Mori

Nature: Calm
                      Quote:
                      what program would allow you to make oppenents have shiny,or change shiny encounter rate? and stuff like that? lol
                      You can use HackMew's shinyzer to make others have shiny or make wild shiny battle.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
                      Old February 14th, 2013 (3:36 AM).

Nature: Adamant
                        I have two questions:

1. Is there a hack of fire red that pretty much just leaves the game itself alone, but makes it so all pokemon can be caught/evolved in game (as opposed to trading)?

2. Is any team working on a hack that combines all the "real" regions into one complete game?
                        Old February 14th, 2013 (3:41 AM). Edited February 14th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Zemekis View Post
                          Okay, i'll look back through/search the thread. Do you know how to change both options to "Boy"? Both methods are acceptable, so if you could give me some pointers on doing the double-Boy option, that'd be great!
                          Well, you would have to change Oak's inrtro text to say who are you instead of what. You can do this in A-text, a hex editor, or even a script editor, though A-text would be the easiest. Then, you would have to create two different character sprites, both boys, and insert one over the girls sprite using NSE or un-Lz. So, basically replace everything girl with guy. The toughest part might be changing the multi-choice box which asks if you are a girl or a guy to say something based on the qualities of your two choice for boys, like tough kid and smart kid. I am not quite sure how to chance the multi choice box, but you may be able to find it in A-text.

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by LocksmithArmy View Post
                          in fire red what is it that keeps your pokes from evolving into gen 2 pokemon? I would like to allow users to catch and raise gen 2 pokemon as starters (a catch your own starter instead of taking the 3 choices)
                          The answer has come up before in this thread. I can't remember right now, but you are still supposed to search before asking.

Edit: I think you need to give the player the national Pokedex.

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by prnoct90 View Post
                          I have two questions:

1. Is there a hack of fire red that pretty much just leaves the game itself alone, but makes it so all pokemon can be caught/evolved in game (as opposed to trading)?

2. Is any team working on a hack that combines all the "real" regions into one complete game?
                          1) Probobly, I know that there is one for Emerald. Try looking for a FireRed Complete or FireRed 386 in the showcase.

2) This is really tough due to space requirements. The closest I think would be the 649 patches by Jambo51 and Chaos Rush.

Paired with Simba
                          Old February 14th, 2013 (4:01 AM).
                          Mew!

thanks... I found the "search this thread" function

but im fairly certain this one is NOT in this thread:

I need a way to make the safari game NOT end... then a way to make it end again...

for example...
                            I am making a "catch your starting pokemon" event... where you go into a safari zone game... and catch a pokemon... then immediately after you catch that poke the game ends... yay

but by going into the Safari Zone game.. you get that step counter... so if someone were to hang around and NOT catch something till that timer ran out... they would be teleported to the REAL safari zone and end up in fuscha city with no pokemon...

so I need to turn the step counter off for just that game... then for all other safari games (you can only get into this area one time) the step counter should be on...
                            Old February 14th, 2013 (4:06 AM).

Quote:
                              thanks... I found the "search this thread" function

but im fairly certain this one is NOT in this thread:

I need a way to make the safari game NOT end... then a way to make it end again...

for example...
                              I am making a "catch your starting pokemon" event... where you go into a safari zone game... and catch a pokemon... then immediately after you catch that poke the game ends... yay

but by going into the Safari Zone game.. you get that step counter... so if someone were to hang around and NOT catch something till that timer ran out... they would be teleported to the REAL safari zone and end up in fuscha city with no pokemon...

so I need to turn the step counter off for just that game... then for all other safari games (you can only get into this area one time) the step counter should be on...
                              Better idea, run a check to make sure the player has a Pokemon after the safari game. If not, send him back in!

Also, the above question I believe you need to give the player the national pokedex.

Paired with Simba
                              Old February 14th, 2013 (4:28 AM).
                              Mew!

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                                Better idea, run a check to make sure the player has a Pokemon after the safari game. If not, send him back in!

Also, the above question I believe you need to give the player the national pokedex.
                                I would run a check but I cant edit the way the safari zone ends...

I may be able to edit the real exit mapscript... that may do it...

I dont know how to check for pokemon...
                                I tried countpokemon... but it turns the map black

I was using the countpokemon check to end my mini game (after each battle) but that is wrong... what command checks how many pokes you have in your belt?
                                Old February 14th, 2013 (4:45 AM).
                                Free supporter

Quote:
                                I would run a check but I cant edit the way the safari zone ends...

I may be able to edit the real exit mapscript... that may do it...

I dont know how to check for pokemon...
                                I tried countpokemon... but it turns the map black

I was using the countpokemon check to end my mini game (after each battle) but that is wrong... what command checks how many pokes you have in your belt?
                                It is countpokemon, if you're using PKSV. Also, you're going about it the wrong way. If you want a custom safari zone without a counter make a new map, don't bother trying to edit the existing routine.
                                Old February 14th, 2013 (4:54 AM). Edited February 14th, 2013 by LocksmithArmy.
                                Mew!

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
                                  It is countpokemon, if you're using PKSV. Also, you're going about it the wrong way. If you want a custom safari zone without a counter make a new map, don't bother trying to edit the existing routine.
                                  I did make a new map...

on my new maps mapscript
                                  under "On entering map/on menu close [05]"
                                  ive got:
                                  Spoiler:
                                  #org 0x8800800
                                  '-----------------------------------
                                  countpokemon
                                  compare LASTRESULT 0x1
                                  if == call 0x8800810 ' Equal To
                                  end

#org 0x8800810
                                  msgbox 0x8800900 ' OAK: Have you caught...
                                  callstd MSG_NOCLOSE ' Non-closing message
                                  closemsg
                                  special 0xCE
                                  special FR_NATIONAL_DEX
                                  setvar 0x4055 0x3
                                  warp 0x4 0x5 0xFF 0x4 0x2
                                  end

#org 0x8800900
                                  = OAK: Have you caught a POK\eMON?\nCome back so we can see.

its supposed to end the game after any battle where you caught a pokemon... because you would have 0 pokemon going in... then you should have 1 pokemon after the battle, so when it checks... it should play that event and give end the game... but instead... after any battle... it goes black ;(

UPDATE:
                                  I used the "countpokemon" code in the exact same fashion while making the person stay in the event (if they get kicked out by the step counter)

Spoiler:
                                  #org 0x8801000
                                  countpokemon
                                  compare LASTRESULT 0x1
                                  if >= call 0x816D2F2 ' Larger Than or Equal To
                                  compare LASTRESULT 0x0
                                  if == call 0x88009B0 ' Equal To
                                  end

#org 0x816D2F2
                                  lockall
                                  textcolor BLUE
                                  msgbox 0x8197E85 ' Did you catch your f...
                                  closemsg
                                  applymovement PLAYER 0x816D362 ' walk_down walk_down ...
                                  pauseevent 0x0
                                  special 0xCE
                                  setvar 0x406E 0x0
                                  releaseall
                                  end

#org 0x88009B0
                                  lockall
                                  textcolor BLUE
                                  msgbox 0x88009F0 ' OAK: Have you caught...
                                  closemsg
                                  applymovement PLAYER 0x88009E0 ' walk_up end
                                  pauseevent 0x0
                                  special 0xCD
                                  setvar 0x406E 0x2
                                  warp 0x4 0x6 0xFF 0x19 0x1C
                                  releaseall
                                  end

#org 0x8197E85
                                  = Did you catch your fair share?\nCome again!

#org 0x88009F0
                                  = OAK: Have you caught a POK\eMON?\nGet back in there...

#org 0x816D362
                                  M walk_down walk_down end

#org 0x88009E0
                                  M walk_up end

and it worked perfectly... (even tested by actually playing the safari game and that way ends correctly too)

so y am I getting a black screen when I count in my lil safarigame...

counting to 0 works I guess cause it lets you keep playing if you run or chase off a poke... but if you count to 1 it glitches up...

UPDATE2:

it works without the message box script... so if oak doesnt call me to tell me to come back I randomely warp back with my poke...

that sux
                                  Old February 14th, 2013 (4:58 AM).

Hello, I came here from the GBC hacking, because I had the idea of patching Pokemon Crystal to have up to 512 pokemon. I'm pretty fluent in using a GB debugger, and know GB ASM well, as i've done quite a few things with it. I figured that It'd be more beneficial to come here, and work off of FireRed. It sounds like this 649 patch is kind of what I wanted to do, so that's great. Other than that, Where's the best place to start, and is there an IRC?
                                    Old February 14th, 2013 (8:25 AM).
                                    Free supporter

Quote:
                                    I did make a new map...

on my new maps mapscript
                                    under "On entering map/on menu close [05]"
                                    ive got:
                                    Spoiler:
                                    #org 0x8800800
                                    countpokemon
                                    compare LASTRESULT 0x1
                                    if == call 0x8800810 ' Equal To
                                    end

#org 0x8800810
                                    msgbox 0x8800900 ' OAK: Have you caught...
                                    closemsg
                                    special 0xCE
                                    special FR_NATIONAL_DEX
                                    setvar 0x4055 0x3
                                    warp 0x4 0x5 0xFF 0x4 0x2
                                    end

#org 0x8800900
                                    = OAK: Have you caught a POK\eMON?\nCome back so we can see.

its supposed to end the game after any battle where you caught a pokemon... because you would have 0 pokemon going in... then you should have 1 pokemon after the battle, so when it checks... it should play that event and give end the game... but instead... after any battle... it goes black ;(

UPDATE:
                                    I used the "countpokemon" code in the exact same fashion while making the person stay in the event (if they get kicked out by the step counter)

Spoiler:
                                    #org 0x8801000
                                    countpokemon
                                    compare LASTRESULT 0x1
                                    if >= call 0x816D2F2 ' Larger Than or Equal To
                                    compare LASTRESULT 0x0
                                    if == call 0x88009B0 ' Equal To
                                    end

#org 0x816D2F2
                                    lockall
                                    textcolor BLUE
                                    msgbox 0x8197E85 ' Did you catch your f...
                                    closemsg
                                    applymovement PLAYER 0x816D362 ' walk_down walk_down ...
                                    pauseevent 0x0
                                    special 0xCE
                                    setvar 0x406E 0x0
                                    releaseall
                                    end

#org 0x88009B0
                                    lockall
                                    textcolor BLUE
                                    msgbox 0x88009F0 ' OAK: Have you caught...
                                    closemsg
                                    applymovement PLAYER 0x88009E0 ' walk_up end
                                    pauseevent 0x0
                                    special 0xCD
                                    setvar 0x406E 0x2
                                    warp 0x4 0x6 0xFF 0x19 0x1C
                                    releaseall
                                    end

#org 0x8197E85
                                    = Did you catch your fair share?\nCome again!

#org 0x88009F0
                                    = OAK: Have you caught a POK\eMON?\nGet back in there...

#org 0x816D362
                                    M walk_down walk_down end

#org 0x88009E0
                                    M walk_up end

and it worked perfectly... (even tested by actually playing the safari game and that way ends correctly too)

so y am I getting a black screen when I count in my lil safarigame...

counting to 0 works I guess cause it lets you keep playing if you run or chase off a poke... but if you count to 1 it glitches up...

UPDATE2:

it works without the message box script... so if oak doesnt call me to tell me to come back I randomely warp back with my poke...

that sux
                                    Try using a different type of level script? Use 02 or 04, I think the message will work then. Don't forget to set a flag to disable to script in the end (if you want to reuse that map).

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by FroggestSpirit View Post
                                    Hello, I came here from the GBC hacking, because I had the idea of patching Pokemon Crystal to have up to 512 pokemon. I'm pretty fluent in using a GB debugger, and know GB ASM well, as i've done quite a few things with it. I figured that It'd be more beneficial to come here, and work off of FireRed. It sounds like this 649 patch is kind of what I wanted to do, so that's great. Other than that, Where's the best place to start, and is there an IRC?
                                    The best place to start is by identifying what it is you'd like to do. There's a lot of aspects for hacking and some of them are vastly different than others. If you enjoyed analyzing data and making routines, then you can start with scripting and later move on to ASM. If you're switching over to Fire Red for a graphic update, mapping/tile inserting to graphic editing might be where you want to start.

The tutorial section is a good place to being for any of these, make sure to use the search function to easily find what you're looking for. As for an IRC, I think PC has one, but I've never gotten it to work (not sure if ****** code or some sorta failure on my part). Maybe you'll have more luck :P
                                    Old February 14th, 2013 (10:28 AM).
                                    MrGarroz

Nature: Serious
                                      Quote:
                                      I mean the exact same animation. Wait, it wasn't sky uppercut, for that one, but I know they exist:p

Pointers are a fun little things. In a hex editor they look like CZ BY AX 08, but regularly they are AX BY CZ. It should be working, as you do have pointers, so I don't quite understand why it wouldn't. Try opening up a hex editor and doing it manually.
                                      Yes, I knew how pointers work... And how can I change animations using an Hex Editor? I'm still wondering why changing the pointer in Attack Editor doesn't work...
                                      Old February 14th, 2013 (12:15 PM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by 95gemello7 View Post
                                        Yes, I knew how pointers work... And how can I change animations using an Hex Editor? I'm still wondering why changing the pointer in Attack Editor doesn't work...
                                        Go to the pointer table and change the pointer manually. So, follow Chaos Rush's tutorial where he second post on it was Gamer2020 saying that it could be done in PGE but he hadn't released it yet.

Paired with Simba
                                        Old February 14th, 2013 (1:05 PM). Edited February 14th, 2013 by 95gemello7.
                                        MrGarroz

Nature: Serious
                                          Quote:
                                          Go to the pointer table and change the pointer manually. So, follow Chaos Rush's tutorial where he second post on it was Gamer2020 saying that it could be done in PGE but he hadn't released it yet.
                                          I'm confused... I just tried to do this thing...
                                          First: I tried another time to change the pointer in PGE...
                                          I went to Pound's table.
                                          http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/01_zps6c3489de.png
                                          Then I went to Mega Punch's table.
                                          http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/02_zpsc035aa34.png
                                          I changed Pound's pointer with Mega Punch's, repointed and saved.
                                          http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/03_zps3115b3d6.png
                                          When I tried it on my rom, it didn't work.
                                          http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/05_zpsce67b360.png

After this fail, I did this: I went to Pound's animation pointer in my hex editor.
                                          I found it and Mega Punch's animation.
                                          http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/06_zps82e45420.png
                                          Then I swapped these two pointers.
                                          http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/07_zps5f9d65fc.png
                                          And... It worked!
                                          http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/08_zpsdc48812b.png

BUT MY REAL QUESTION IS: why? Wasn't the first way correct and easier?
                                          Old February 14th, 2013 (1:23 PM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by 95gemello7 View Post
                                            I'm confused... I just tried to do this thing...
                                            First: I tried another time to change the pointer in PGE...
                                            I went to Pound's table.
                                            http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/01_zps6c3489de.png
                                            Then I went to Mega Punch's table.
                                            http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/02_zpsc035aa34.png
                                            I changed Pound's pointer with Mega Punch's, repointed and saved.
                                            http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/03_zps3115b3d6.png
                                            When I tried it on my rom, it didn't work.
                                            http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/05_zpsce67b360.png

After this fail, I did this: I went to Pound's animation pointer in my hex editor.
                                            I found it and Mega Punch's animation.
                                            http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/06_zps82e45420.png
                                            Then I swapped these two pointers.
                                            http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/07_zps5f9d65fc.png
                                            And... It worked!
                                            http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/08_zpsdc48812b.png

BUT MY REAL QUESTION IS: why? Wasn't the first way correct and easier?
                                            I have no clue. The second way, you were guaranteed results as you did it manually. I want you to try something. Make an edit in PGE and close it. Then open up the hex editor and see if the change was made to the rom. No matter the result, go back into to PGE and verify that the change was made.

My feeling is that PGE isn't editing the rom...

Edit: Next time you use pictures, use [img] tags so that I don't have to follow the links. It makes it much easier for me or anyone to view. Photobucket actually gives you the [img] tagged links in its sharing box.

Paired with Simba
                                            Old February 14th, 2013 (1:37 PM).
                                            LocksmithArmy LocksmithArmy is offline
                                            Mew!

just wanted to thank everyone for the help... I altered a bit from my original plan... but now in my hack you can pick from the 3 starters OR talk to oak without choosing one and get an option to catch your own starter pokemon... its awesome

Quick Reply