• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen As Time Goes By...

Years
So how has your opinion of BW changed over the years since it' come out. What was your opinion before you played it? What did you think of it as you played it your first time? You second? And most importantly what is your opinion NOW after a second set of games has come out, and an entirely new generation having been announced?

Sirfetch’d

When Black and White were first announced I was excited from the start, but after Pokemon were slowly revealed I began to question the game. I originally thought that the game had really weird looking Pokemon(especially that Golurk thing what ever that is) but also very interesting and cool looking Pokemon(like Jellicent). I was excited to play the game regardless and I am glad I did. On my first playthrough I was unaware that older Pokemon did not appear because I tend to avoid spoilers other than checking out the Pokemon for that region. I was immediately impressed from the game. I loved the whole thing. Before my first playthrough I guess you could say I was skeptical, but my opinion changed very quickly. Even on just my first playthrough I said that these may be the best games ever.

I enjoyed White so much that I decided to play it a second time. This time with the intentions of using all the Pokemon that I didn't use the first time(mostly the ones that did not get much love like Klink, Alomomola, Vanillish etc.) I really liked them all(even Golurk ;]) after using them as before I was very skeptical and I had a certain distaste for their designs.

I guess you can say my opinion now after playing through the games and playing their sequels is that they are probably the best overall games. The storyline was great. The Pokemon were great and the region was great and the fact that it was centered in America(my country) really made me enjoy the games a whole lot more. The next generation is going to have to do a lot to top Black and White. I am not sure it can be done.

Last edited:
Years
When I first heard about Black and White through Bulbapedia I was excited about the games, especially given when they announced the features, and the fact that the region of Unova was going to be based on America instead of the usual Japan was something that made me get interested. After seeing Skyarrow Bridge and Castelia City revealed I started to love the awesome graphics and wanted to get the games as soon as they came out in English.

When the Pokemon were still getting revealed I was impressed by all the cutesy ones (like Minccino, Emolga and OSHAWOTT!!) and all the strong ones too, like Reshiram and Zekrom. The whole yin-yang theme going on with the game was a fun but interesting concept that made me want the games so badly. I tended to read the B/W news a lot so I knew all the spoilers before the games were released.

The fact that no old Pokemon were included until post-E4 made it that more interesting cos I loved the designs of most of the Unova Pokemon and it was sort of a smart move taken by Game Freak, who wanted to remind players of the R/B/Y days.

When I started my playthrough of Black in October 2011, the story and the amazing environment captured my heart, and I loved the new Pokemon so much I wanted to try them all. Unlike most people, I actually liked the designs of most of the "odd" ones (Klinklang and Vanilluxe especially) and I also liked the character designs too, especially Elesa, Iris, Bianca, Cheren, N and the protagonists (Hilbert and Hilda).

Now that I've also played Black 2/White 2, my opinion is that I still liked B/W story-wise but features-wise I liked B2/W2 better. Black and White would have to take the cake for the most epic story in the entire franchise of Pokemon, the new Pokemon appealed to me a lot (I have never found so many favorite Pokemon in one region!) and the basis of Unova was what made the 5th Generation so unique. X & Y is going to have to do a lot to top the awesomeness of Black & White.

jaydezzal

Sarcastic Guy
Years
I was pumped when I first heard about them. Unfortunately (And I really don't know why) I could not get into them at all. At first I though it might be because no older Pokemon were in them, and there aren't many 5th gen Pokemon I particularly like, but when I got Black 2 and I found out they had some old Pokemon in there, I still couldn't get into it. It took me over a year to "beat" Black, and i use the term loosely because I still haven't beaten it, only beaten N. In Black 2 I only have 2 badges, so I really don't know what's putting me off of these games. I'm not bored with the series, heck since Black and White came out, I've literally beaten FireRed/LeafGreen more than 15 times.

I dunno, maybe it is the lack of old Pokemon, I mean I really only played a couple of hours into Black 2, so not much of an opinion formed there. Also I prefer B/W over B2/W2 even!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hasn't changed at all. Well, actually, at first I wasn't looking forward to the games at all because I judged based off initial graphics which was really bad because the graphics were awesome. HOWEVER, yeah I disliked the games and only really started liking them through speculation and posting here :3 Excitement built up in the speculation period, then eventually the release period I loved them, and I still love them now I'm just kind of lazy but that's how I am with everything really. I'll always love Black and White, to me they were the perfect games and I don't think anything can ever change that. I'll look forward to future games but nothing will ever replace B/W :3

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
My first thoughts were that it would be great to have a complete revamp. Now that I've played through it a couple of times, I thought that it was good, but not amazing. I was hoping to enjoy it as much as I still do RGBY/FRLG and GSC/HGSS and it fell slightly short. Nonetheless, they were great games.

The Unova region is really quite lazily designed, though. It's literally a circle with a tail. That has always been my one problem with BW.

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
I think they were pretty decent. The stories were really well made in both games and the fact that Team Plasma leaders can brainwash people so easily was interesting to me. The new features and graphics were really top notch when it comes to Pokemon, too. I'm not a fan of most of the 5th gen designs and I think the names are kind of lazily made, but they weren't too horrible. I just find myself getting bored playing 5th Generation after only a little bit of playtime, while I could probably play another generation all day. Maybe it's just nostalgia sake or the fact that I don't really know Unova that well.

I feel like the story didn't really flow that smoothly though, specifically in B2W2. Every route I felt like I was getting stopped by some person or another just so they could tell me some useless piece of information or give me a few Oran Berries, which I would never use anyways.

Years
When this game came out I was just getting done with pokemon so I was not to excited for these games. After seeing some of the pokemon, it got worse. Eventually I did buy black and I ended up really liking it and I still do. I still think that there have been better games in this series but they were still pretty good.

Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2016
I haven't played this game before, but someone told me they also said pokemon had gotten worse.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I haven't played this game before, but someone told me they also said pokemon had gotten worse.

Sadly this thread is only for if you have played it, though :( However, I do suggest you get the games, because they are p good! Also, if you wanted, you could get your friend to join PC, and post here to expand upon that if you'd like. :3

Nakala Pri

I thought it was gonna be a disaster. But then I started begging for it and it's now my fave game ^_^

Years
It's my favorite title to date! I havn't played Black or White 2, but I loved Black for it's strong story, I liked that every Pokemon was unique. I guess if there was one complaint I would give the game is it has the weakest Endgame, and the fact that everything jumps 10-12 levels out of nowhere is a bit immersion breaking.

Back