Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Old November 4th, 2012 (12:41 PM).
  • Platinum Tier

Nature: Calm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
Take a look if you are running the RPG Maker as Windows XP in the Compatibility Mode. Check also if you have administrator permission on your computer and if the game is an exception for your antivirus.

In NPCs receptionists events on lobby, on second page, after the command "Wait: 8 frame(s)", add the command "Change Transparent Flag: Normal". This may be opacity as well (check move route events)

1. No matters here anymore

2. Ummm, not really sure here I copied the Battle Tower Event from Essentials V10, anyways I'll take a look.

Relevant Advertising!

Old November 4th, 2012 (3:20 PM).
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
    1-I can't believe that you still have Map View option. Put it as a Setting or even remove it!

2-In the official games (I'm not sure), if you have a partner trainer and start a single trainer battle, the partner won't participate and the battle is a normal 1vs1 trainer battle. Can you do this on Essentials?

3-If I put four Route 321 maps, I need to define the encounters in the four ones. If I wish to put the same encounters in the four maps, I need to make a code duplicity, so can you make an aliases system for PBS encounters? Like "Copy 456" copy map 456 encounters data.

1. No one has ever mentioned that, let alone implied that it shouldn't be an available option. I'll make it a Setting, since after thinking about it it's not really suitable as a player-visible option.

2. This was mentioned not too long ago somewhere, and I'll look into it at some point.

3. There's already a function for that. It's called "open encounters.txt in Notepad, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V". It's very much in the category of "Things That Are Not Hard".

Go to the Pokémon Essentials Wiki

| Downloads | Tutorials | Fangames |
    | All Animations Project |

Follow me on Twitter: @maruno42

Old November 7th, 2012 (1:18 PM).
    • Platinum Tier

Alright some text suggestions:

1. Kernel.pbMessage does not support extras like \r, \g, ect. (Unless it was me doing something wrong)
    2. Same as above except with selectable options (Such as Yes or No)
    3. Any chance for displaying faces with the text boxes? (Such as in VX)

Old November 7th, 2012 (3:45 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by hansiec View Post
      Alright some text suggestions:

1. Kernel.pbMessage does not support extras like \r, \g, ect. (Unless it was me doing something wrong)
      2. Same as above except with selectable options (Such as Yes or No)
      3. Any chance for displaying faces with the text boxes? (Such as in VX)

1/2. It's you doing something wrong. Many existing scripted messages (e.g. blacking out, picking up items) use message commands. There are many kinds of message-displaying scripts, some of which are different and have varying functionality, but Kernel.pbMessage is what's actually used for showing messages in events (command_101), so that at least should work properly. Choices may need to be done differently in script-based messages - see the Mart scripts for an example.

3. You can use either \f or \ff, which puts the picture in a separate window just above the message box. As for inserting the picture into the message box, I don't know.

Old November 10th, 2012 (2:33 PM).
      Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
        1. No one has ever mentioned that, let alone implied that it shouldn't be an available option. I'll make it a Setting, since after thinking about it it's not really suitable as a player-visible option.

2. This was mentioned not too long ago somewhere, and I'll look into it at some point.

3. There's already a function for that. It's called "open encounters.txt in Notepad, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V". It's very much in the category of "Things That Are Not Hard".

1-Yes, I can't believe that no one has ever mentioned that or you didn't thought on it before.

3-This is really a pity that you don't understand the importance of avoid code duplicity. If the developers use your "small maps" concept, most of encounters code for a standard game are duplicates.

Old November 10th, 2012 (5:56 PM).
        In the Lost & Found bin!

Nature: Naive

Quote:
          1-Yes, I can't believe that no one has ever mentioned that or you didn't thought on it before.

3-This is really a pity that you don't understand the importance of avoid code duplicity. If the developers use your "small maps" concept, most of encounters code for a standard game are duplicates.

1 was a good point.

As for number 3... That's not a big deal. This isn't duplication of a code, this is duplication of some text that's supposed to be used for similar circumstances. It's no going to cause an extra/unnecessary lag, it just takes about 2 seconds more of your time.

One idea I did submit to Maruno before was to possibly instead of using one map for each tile on the town map, possible set up the map position metadata to have two additional integeer parameters, one for it's horizontal distance in tiles, and one for it's vertical distance. After that, the player icon on the Town map could either just appear in the middle of that area, or in a relative area determined by the map's width/height and it's position and size on the world map, rounded to the nearest 16x16 tile.

I don't really know how a calculation like that would work, though.

Old November 10th, 2012 (7:30 PM).
          • Platinum Tier

@ IceGod

This is simple, first we divide the grid up into X amount of blocks:

Code:
          x_blocks = map_width / world_map_width #(world_map_width = amount of tiles on the map)
          y_blocks = map_height / world_map_height #(same as above except with height instead)
          Now we can get the position on the map
          Code:
          x_pos = (player_x / x_blocks).round
          y_pos = (player_y / y_blocks).round

This is the code I would use for things that requires a specific block.

Old November 11th, 2012 (9:45 AM).
          In the Lost & Found bin!

Quote:
            Originally Posted by hansiec View Post
            @ IceGod

This is simple, first we divide the grid up into X amount of blocks:

Code:
            x_blocks = map_width / world_map_width #(world_map_width = amount of tiles on the map)
            y_blocks = map_height / world_map_height #(same as above except with height instead)
            Now we can get the position on the map
            Code:
            x_pos = (player_x / x_blocks).round
            y_pos = (player_y / y_blocks).round
            This is the code I would use for things that requires a specific block.

Thanks for figuring that out, I knew it shouldn't be too hard, I just can't math well.

I for one, prefer this method. It really makes more sense to me that splitting up a map into many pieces(Even though splitting the maps does help with lag), it just seems impractical to have to use four maps just for a completely horizontal route just so it can take up four spaces on the town map.

Old November 13th, 2012 (7:34 AM).

Quote:
              I do understand that code duplicity is a bad thing. However, as IceGod64 says, I don't really think it's a problem here. It's not real code, it's more like settings.

I suppose it would be quite straightforward to have a map check any identically-named maps for encounters, but it's really not something I'm going to spend time on because there's a very simple alternative (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by IceGod64 View Post
              One idea I did submit to Maruno before was to possibly instead of using one map for each tile on the town map, possible set up the map position metadata to have two additional integeer parameters, one for it's horizontal distance in tiles, and one for it's vertical distance. After that, the player icon on the Town map could either just appear in the middle of that area, or in a relative area determined by the map's width/height and it's position and size on the world map, rounded to the nearest 16x16 tile.

I don't really know how a calculation like that would work, though.

It's not just about the player's icon on the Town Map; nest areas need to take this into account too, as would the icons indicating roamer locations (if you were using them). There's also the question of what happens to the above if you have an L-shaped map (or any other shape with "gaps" in it). Finally, there's an array which records the last few Town Map squares you've been on (currently unused, but could be used to show the player's trail) which would be smegged up by this.

I would suggest that the two additional parameters be the map's width in Town Map squares and a series of 1's and 0's indicating which parts are viable. For example, Size=2,101110 would be a 2x3 square map, with the top right and bottom right squares being unused (i.e. ├ shaped). The height of the map in Town Map squares can be calculated by the series' length divided by the width.

In the past this issue has been beyond my desire to investigate. However, I can have another look at it.

Old November 13th, 2012 (2:23 PM). Edited November 22nd, 2012 by IceGod64.
              In the Lost & Found bin!

Quote:
                L-shaped map
                In the Pokémon world, I don't think that that's ever happened. Every turn would end up becoming a new route. I could be wrong about this, I only really remember R/B/Y/G/S/C/FR/LG/HG/SS's maps perfectly.

Either way, I like your method. It really extends the possibilities, and simplicity of mapping. I like the idea of using 1's and 0's to shape the map as well, it's very clever.

Edit: I've thought of another suggestion... Why don't NPCs have phone screen charsets? There should really be a way to define them to have an icon or something.

Old November 24th, 2012 (5:47 PM).

L-shaped maps came about in Gen 4, and there have been a number of examples since. You only have to look at the Sinnoh town map to notice two of the cities aren't square.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by IceGod64 View Post
                  Edit: I've thought of another suggestion... Why don't NPCs have phone screen charsets? There should really be a way to define them to have an icon or something.
                  They do. They're called phoneXXX.png, where XXX is that contact's number. Oak has one.

Old December 1st, 2012 (7:54 PM).

I'd like the ability to set the Abilities for Battle Frontier pokemon in the PBS. I'm halfway done with redoing the PBS so that we have pokemon from gen 1-4 and a separate file that includes gen 5 pokemon for when those pokemon are eventually included. But I've realize how important abilities are for some pokemon and it is limiting not being able to set abilities for certain movesets.

Also, having special trainers show up after certain battle frontier streaks would be nice, but I have a feeling this is already possible.

Old December 2nd, 2012 (10:54 AM).
                    Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by DarkGrey View Post
                      Also, having special trainers show up after certain battle frontier streaks would be nice, but I have a feeling this is already possible.
                      I believe that if you change the line '48,48,220,40,' in PokemonOrgBattle to '48,48,301,0,', the trainer 301 will be battled if you have 48 streak.

Old January 21st, 2013 (10:53 AM).
                      Jealous Croatian

Nature: Adamant

I actually have a suggestion for Essentials.

How about the next release changes the saving of game data in the User/Saved Games directory via RTP.getSaveFileName("Game.rxdata") to just simple "Game.rxdata" in the local Game folder. I think having everything in one place is much better, plus recently I've noticed that doing something as simple as changing the title of your Game in RMXP can actually cause the load script to go weird.

Old January 21st, 2013 (4:30 PM).
                        Guess who's back?

Nature: Naughty

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Luka S.J. View Post
                          I actually have a suggestion for Essentials.

How about the next release changes the saving of game data in the User/Saved Games directory via RTP.getSaveFileName("Game.rxdata") to just simple "Game.rxdata" in the local Game folder. I think having everything in one place is much better, plus recently I've noticed that doing something as simple as changing the title of your Game in RMXP can actually cause the load script to go weird.

For me it's never gone 'weird' per se.
                          It's just made it so I have to do new game. But it's only because you've changed the name of the Title.

gone.

Old January 21st, 2013 (4:40 PM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
                            For me it's never gone 'weird' per se.
                            It's just made it so I have to do new game. But it's only because you've changed the name of the Title.
                            Same here. The only bugs you might have are due to the game creating certain brand new data rather than loading it from the save file (which is done even if you don't actually play that saved game), when you've done something to the scripts to make the creation of that new data go wibbly.

I considered this, but in the end I decided that all it would do would be to make the save files more accessible (which they don't need to be). So I chose not to.

Old January 22nd, 2013 (4:32 AM).
                            Jealous Croatian

Quote:
                              Same here. The only bugs you might have are due to the game creating certain brand new data rather than loading it from the save file (which is done even if you don't actually play that saved game), when you've done something to the scripts to make the creation of that new data go wibbly.

I considered this, but in the end I decided that all it would do would be to make the save files more accessible (which they don't need to be). So I chose not to.

I personally don't have any problems with any scripts lol, I use the old method to save data anyway. Someone did have a slight bug though and they asked me to look into it, and changing the destination where data is saved and loaded from fixed it. Fair points though, do as you see it fit.

Old February 9th, 2013 (11:03 AM).
                              There is no brighter jewel...
                              • Silver Tier

I was working on recreating a PokeNav today, and I was thinking maybe you could improve on rematching so that the trainer can have multiple teams (growing teams over time, set by the creator), depending on how many rematches you've had with them.

For example, Pokémon Emerald's rematch system consisted of 78 trainers with rematchable teams, all of which would become stronger until the 5th rematch, where it would stay thereafter, no longer becoming stronger.

Vs. Seeker in FRLG did something similar, depending on the trainer.

Old February 9th, 2013 (1:36 PM).

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Evil Arms View Post
                                I was working on recreating a PokeNav today, and I was thinking maybe you could improve on rematching so that the trainer can have multiple teams (growing teams over time, set by the creator), depending on how many rematches you've had with them.

For example, Pokémon Emerald's rematch system consisted of 78 trainers with rematchable teams, all of which would become stronger until the 5th rematch, where it would stay thereafter, no longer becoming stronger.

Vs. Seeker in FRLG did something similar, depending on the trainer.

Rematches worked exactly like that even before I took over Essentials.

Old February 9th, 2013 (1:37 PM). Edited February 9th, 2013 by Pia Carrot.
                                • Silver Tier

Quote:
                                Rematches worked exactly like that even before I took over Essentials.

I was having trouble finding the related code:

Code:
                                    rematchcount=0
                                    for trainer in @trainers
                                      if trainer.length==4
                                        rematchcount+=1 if trainer[3]
                                      end
                                    end

Perhaps make it easier for users to use? Because I sure as hell find it confusing.

Old February 9th, 2013 (3:33 PM).

Quote:
                                  I was having trouble finding the related code:
                                  Code:
                                      rematchcount=0
                                      for trainer in @trainers
                                        if trainer.length==4
                                          rematchcount+=1 if trainer[3]
                                        end
                                      end
                                  Perhaps make it easier for users to use? Because I sure as hell find it confusing.
                                  Well, the wiki has an entire page about it...

It's all automatic, if you set it up via trainer comments. You need to create each version of the trainer separately.

Old February 9th, 2013 (3:40 PM).
                                  • Silver Tier

^ I see now. Another suggestion of mine is something small for the world map.

When you're checking your Pokédex for random encounter areas, is it possible to use an image instead of the flashing red gradient over a route? I realize only a couple of the games use this, but it would be useful for some, nevertheless.

Old February 9th, 2013 (4:19 PM).

Quote:
                                    ^ I see now. Another suggestion of mine is something small for the world map.

When you're checking your Pokédex for random encounter areas, is it possible to use an image instead of the flashing red gradient over a route? I realize only a couple of the games use this, but it would be useful for some, nevertheless.

Hmm, I think I know what kind of things you'd want to do with this. Obviously it's possible if you code it, but it seems too specific to be a feature of Essentials. That is, different games would want to use something like this feature in different ways, and there wouldn't really be a general way of going about it that would at least satisfy the majority of users. Plus, as you say, it wouldn't be a commonly-used feature in the first place.

If you can think up a generalised way of implementing this, I'll have another think about it.

Old February 28th, 2013 (1:27 PM).
                                    BenGames,Films, and More! BenGames,Films, and More! is offline
                                    Are you not entertained?

Nature: Serious

Suggestions for Pokemon Essentials

I have a handful of suggestions for Essentials, and about half I can provide for (Red=Somebody Please do this!!! Yellow=I can look into it Green = I got it!)

Lets begin shall we?

BW2 Trainer overworld and battle sprites
                                      BW2 ANIMATED Pokemon Sprites (Overworlds to)
                                      BW2/HGSS/DPPt Tiles/Graphics
                                      Gen 1-Gen 5 music in BW2 Sound

If you guys can add on, please do! Maruno if you see this, please consider it!

YouTube Channel
                                      Deviant Art
                                      BGFM Forums
                                      Take a quiz about me!
                                      I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
                                      If you say "pls" or "plz" because it's shorter than "please", I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes".

Old February 28th, 2013 (1:31 PM). Edited February 28th, 2013 by ChaosLord.
                                      Game Dev Wanderer

Nature: Bold

Um, besides some sound(For the attack animations), none of those things should be considered "essential" to make a Pokemon game. The proof's all in the fact Maruno pretty much mapped out x something maps in FireRed without those things(Plus the overworlds, battle sprites, and animated Pokemon are already "add-ons" in the resource section).

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links