• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

My landlord is kicking me out of my apartment because I'm "too addicted to Pokémon"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
now you hear stories all the time about how parents stop letting their kids like Pokémon for whatever reason, or the people who say it is of the devil and such, but I have a similar but different experience... my apartment is filled with Pokémon plushes and pictures and figures all neatly on displays and the landlord of my apartment wants me out when my lease is up, they won't renew because I am
too addicted to Pokémon
... nothing on the lease says I can't have Pokémon or Pokémon pictures... she grated me to put printed pictures up but seeing it is 90% Pokémon she wants me out saying
Pokémon is too childish
what should I do about it???

Years
Check the tenancy agreement (contact that you signed); I highly doubt that they can kick you out over personal interests. Unless your interests are causing physical damage, or disturbing people around you, I doubt he/she can kick you out.

Check the black and white contact, as if you are being discriminated on, you can prosecute him/her.​

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Check the tenancy agreement (contact that you signed); I highly doubt that they can kick you out over personal interests. Unless your interests are causing physical damage, or disturbing people around you, I doubt he/she can kick you out.

Check the black and white contact, as if you are being discriminated on, you can prosecute him/her.​

Pretty much this.

If your collection is causing damage to the wall or anything like that, he's allowed to kick you out. BUT if he decides to kick you out just because he finds you're not 'acting your age' then you can fight it.

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2013
That's pretty dumb, I doubt you're causing harm to other people or his/her property by doing so.

Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2017
The specific laws differ among different states, so it's impossible to make any statement with any kind of certainty. Unfortunately, often it is not required for either landlord or tenant to renew a lease, though there may be a requirement to inform the tenant beforehand if that is the case. You also need to think carefully whether this is worth fighting for, if you recklessly attempt to file any kind of suit -- discrimination or otherwise -- you may end up with a whole load of legal fees.
Generally if you make said claim you need to prove that you are being discriminated against, and this may be difficult in jurisdictions where the renew of a lease can be denied without giving any kind of reason. In this case discrimination especially may be far fetched as those laws are usually meant to protect those with disabilities, children, a different ethnicity/orientation/religion, etc. But, whatever you do, if you can't reach an agreement with your landlord and you do think that your house/apartment is worth fighting for, then you should definitely seek actual legal advice from a lawyer.

Also don't trust legal advice that does not come from a lawyer. With that said, I am not a lawyer so take anything I said with a grain of salt.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'm going to redirect you to this thread. Although the reason is for Pokemon, the gist of this is advice about a landlord/tenant dispute and thus doesn't belong here. I would move it myself so all the posts would stay but I don't have that kind of power. Feel free to report just as it is in that thread, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back