• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

2nd Gen How would you name your mother?

cxd

Years
  • Seen May 2, 2013
Found this on Bulbapedia:
Naming the mother

Data, including text strings, remain for yet another forgotten feature: the ability to name the player's mother. Space is reserved in RAM for two other names as well, which default to RED and GREEN—the protagonist and his rival from the Generation I games.

So.. how would you name your mother?

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I would always name here Delia or Caroline or Johanna, after the anime character's mothers. In D/P they give her a name, right?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'd probably just name her Sherlyn, which is my mom's name. I wouldn't want to give her a rude name like I would with my rival. I don't like the idea of people disrespecting their parents in real life, so I wouldn't even do it in a video game either, haha.

Nothing Is Real

It's all in the mind you know!
Years
I'd probably just name her Sherlyn, which is my mom's name. I wouldn't want to give her a rude name like I would with my rival. I don't like the idea of people disrespecting their parents in real life, so I wouldn't even do it in a video game either, haha.
Pretty much this, yeah. I would most likely name the mother after my own mother or another of my female family members.

Years
I'm not quite sure what context her name would be used in, but I don't think I would've called her anything other than "Mom" (I don't call my mom by her real name, so I don't see why I would in a game).

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I feel the ability to name your mother would make her character more personal rather than a simple starting point character. It doesn't have to mean the main character calls her by name, it just lets us know a bit more. Heck, I even made a hack on Mother's Day just for that purpose. I think it'd be a great idea for her to be nameable. I wonder why they didn't go through with that.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm not quite sure what context her name would be used in, but I don't think I would've called her anything other than "Mom" (I don't call my mom by her real name, so I don't see why I would in a game).

Ya know, now that I think about it, this is probably why we don't name her. XD

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Aren't the moms in the latest gens named now? The player doesn't call them by their name, yet they still have names. That's why I think they should've been nameable.

cxd

Years
  • Seen May 2, 2013
I feel the ability to name your mother would make her character more personal rather than a simple starting point character.

Maybe they cut this because they thought the start of the game would be annoying. "What's your name? What's your friend's name? What about your mother, father, dog..."

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Maybe they cut this because they thought the start of the game would be annoying. "What's your name? What's your friend's name? What about your mother, father, dog..."

idk, Earthbound and Mother 3 did that and no one barks about how awful that sequence is. And you do end up feeling more connected to the characters, especially if you name them after your own friends and family. I think they'd find a way to make it work, like they did with naming your rival in GSC.

Years
I would probably have named her Mommy, since I was a little kid. But nowadays I would either name it after my mom's real name... or Mommy for the humor.

Sirfetch’d

I'd name her Mom because that is what I call my mother in real life.

Back