• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

PC's social networking relaunch!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
The world is slowly becoming more digital, and PC wants to take advantage of that by making its social networking accounts more appealing to a wider audience!

Interestingly, you also might not be aware of them, given that they were never officially announced in Announcements.

We want to know what would make them more interesting to you.

What kind of things would you like to see? What other stuff could we cover on the PC Twitter, Facebook and Google+ that would appeal to you more? Would you like to see interesting statistics about the forums, interesting threads, all X/Y information or maybe more than just PC-related events? Would you like to see PC on other social networking sites other than Twitter, Facebook and Google+? Or maybe you think they should be used more often? Please provide as much thoughts as possible so that we can work to improve PC's social networking presence!

Also, if you don't already, follow us at:

(PPN asked for it to remain in announcements, just so you know @ higher staff)

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Honestly, I personally don't follow any of PC's social networks. They don't really provide anything that I would see faster than browsing the forums and seeing the announcement splashes that get posted on the top of the forums. Just from glancing at them very quickly, it also looks like they aren't updated all that frequently either.

I don't really have any specific suggestions, but if they were managed a bit better to be kept clean (Especially the Facebook page, as half of it is spam asking about ROM Hacks), and maybe the Twitter could post about site-down times as they're happening (I see that it's been done, but there are MANY more than were tweeted about), maybe that would be more useful. I guess it would provide a way for members to see if the site is back up without bombarding the server while it's trying to recover. Of course that's also a lot to ask, as not everyone has these social networking sites either.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I agree with what Jake said, I would probably see any announcements or events in the forums itself so the social networking sites would be useless IMO since i use PC more than Facebook or Twitter.For me i think they'd only be useful to see when the site is down or something similar.But i guess i'm bias to this since i really don't use those sites anymore.

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
I follow ALL of PC's social Networks, cos I go on almost all of them everyday except for Google+. Why? Cos, I like being informed about things happening and social networking is an amazing way to get updates like in Twitter, it is fast and convenient and it's almost like a constantly updating newspaper.

The only suggestion I have is to have all staff monitor the social networking sites, to keep them active and updated.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I follow PC on Twitter but I've never seen a post from the account, I don't mix Facebook with PC, and I have no idea what Google+ is yay, so I'll focus mainly on Twitter! It'd be nice to see posts occasionally about what's going on for PC (changes in the works, upcoming events, any news, etc) but honestly I think this could all be done much more easily on the forum itself where a lot more people would be able to access it if it was just kept in an up-to-date thread or something. Other than that I guess some occasional cute Pokémon pictures or whatever wouldn't go amiss but I'm not sure what benefit there is using social networking for this as opposed to the forum itself... So in summary I don't see much use for the social networking side of PC, sorry!

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
PC could use his social networks to appeal more people, those who are not registered can't see what's happening. PC could post a detail about an event that is going to be held and invite people to it via a link. Maybe that could attract more members.
The Twitter account could get updated more often too. As Jake said, the times when the site is down and when it's fixed could be posted too. And upcoming events, works like "We will be closing the site in X time for X work". PC don't exploit his networks at all and that should change.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Maybe if you could post the changes that PC gets or when they have any events that are being held in PC? Also maybe build some hype when the next GT is coming close?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hey guys thanks for replying thus far! I can only comment on the Twitter side (side while I can add Facebook posts, I've only added Twitter ones) in that we have advertised a few things in the past in terms of events. I definitely plan to start paying attention to events around PC and including them (not sure about PPN - he'd rather do the technical side, I assume?) on the Twitter side. As for advertising the Get Together... well, we did a little in regards to the most recent one, but only after it was actually mentioned. It'd be done earlier but generally none of us really know when it's going on until not too long before it, so there's limited time. But for big events like that I can definitely try to get hype and stuff going on (I'll also use the Facebook one to update stuff, too!) In regards to the PC downtime thing, PPN will have to cover that but I'm sure he can definitely try to update it more (I don't see why he wouldn't at least).

Keep replying, your comments are valuable :)

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
Personally I try to avoid social networking sites. I only have a Facebook just to get information for local clubs since they "did" have a forum until Facebook came along.
I check the forum everyday, so I don't think there is a need for social networking sites. The only benefit to social networking is for people in that medium to become aware of us and then possibly become a member.
That's about it.

Sirfetch’d

While I don't do much social networking I think that this is a great idea, especially when X&Y news starts coming more frequently. Maybe have a team of a few people to update all X&Y news on the social networking sites, post events, maybe post all announcements. Basically having it well organized and up to date will be the best. Also maybe offer incentives like a Pokecommunity Emblem for following the site.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Does a Pokémon discussion board really need a social networking presence?
How would it benefit the site or people's experiences with it, better than the forum itself can do?

I'm not naysaying, I just think this critical questioning should be considered if it hasn't been already — if you can't justify the establishment and maintenance of such enterprises, they're likely to amount to wasted effort.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Would you like to see interesting statistics about the forums, interesting threads, all X/Y information or maybe more than just PC-related events?
Why not do this on the actual forum? I'm sure more people would see what is being advertised if it was shown on here as well. Granted, most of this is probably done here already (see: XY news).

Does a Pokémon discussion board really need a social networking presence?
Even if granted that it's not necessary per se, how is it beneficial in any way to the site or people's experiences with it?
I suppose PC's Twitter account can be used to retrieve information while the server is down (what caused it, when the server will be back up, etc.), but that doesn't happen as often as it used to.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
I did Like The PokeCommunity's Facebook page a while ago, but . . . there's practically never any posts from it . . . so I kind of forgot about it, lol.
Perhaps if it was more active.
But, even so, the only time I would really find any use for it is when the site is down. Like how it was five minutes ago for me because it was too busy.
Oh, and also for stalking other PCers to find out THEIR LIVES.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
There was a Pokecommunity Facebook page? Why was it never promoted here on Pokecommunity? Or was it only for a short time? I think if you were to go through with the social networking (not saying you shouldn't, as I do like the idea,) it should promoted a bit more for new members who join too. :3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
There was a Pokecommunity Facebook page? Why was it never promoted here on Pokecommunity? Or was it only for a short time? I think if you were to go through with the social networking (not saying you shouldn't, as I do like the idea,) it should promoted a bit more for new members who join too. :3

It still exists! Buuut I'm not sure why nothing really happened with it (/all of the advertising, which is p much what this thread is for given nothing was never officially announced) but yes, making them appeal to newer members can definitely be helpful. Maybe in NU/W somewhere...?

Years
It still exists! Buuut I'm not sure why nothing really happened with it (/all of the advertising, which is p much what this thread is for given nothing was never officially announced) but yes, making them appeal to newer members can definitely be helpful. Maybe in NU/W somewhere...?

I'd be all for including the links to PC's social networking sites in the Helpful Links & Info sticky in NU/W as that's probably where it would fit best in the section right now, though even with that I don't think they'll be seen too much. Not many people scroll to the bottom of the page. D: Maybe the icons can be shrunk a bit (so they're not as intrusive) and included in the navbar of the forums (where the donation button is)..?

Honest

Hi!
Years
I remember adding the Facebook page on my old account on the site. I wouldn't add it again, though honestly. Nothing against the account, I think it's a great idea, actually. It's just a personal thing, where I feel like it'd be unnecessary. I actually think I might still have PC added on Twitter, but I haven't gone on in forever.

Objectively speaking, I think it's a great idea as long as it's actually advertised to the site so they become aware of it, and this thread is a start. You should have the link added on the main page to all three social network sites, though, in my opinion. Both for more publicity and ease of access.

Back