Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!

TrollandToad.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old March 6th, 2013 (10:26 AM). Edited June 25th, 2017 by Gamer2020.
Gamer2020's Avatar
Gamer2020 Gamer2020 is offline
Accept no Imitations!
     
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Location: Distant Land
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Bold
    Posts: 903
    Blah blah blah.
    __________________

    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old March 6th, 2013 (1:48 PM).
    FBI's Avatar
    FBI FBI is offline
    Free supporter
    • Silver Tier
     
    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Location: Unknown Island
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 1,770
    Cool, I'm glad you decided to post this for everyone. I personally don't hack Emerald, so I don't know much about the functionality and such.

    Isn't this a counter? So if I were to say save at 4 hours 15 mins and 12 seconds, and then go do something else for from arbitrary amount of time, when I continue playing it will read as if no time has passed. I think in the FireRed RTC which ZodiacTheGreat and interdepth created, they used system time. Maybe you can try something like that?

    Also, if you want people to help you with code efficiency, you should use meaningful variables and label names (as opposed to "something").
    __________________
    ...
    Reply With Quote
      #3    
    Old March 7th, 2013 (7:18 AM).
    Gamer2020's Avatar
    Gamer2020 Gamer2020 is offline
    Accept no Imitations!
       
      Join Date: Jun 2008
      Location: Distant Land
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Bold
      Posts: 903
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
      Cool, I'm glad you decided to post this for everyone. I personally don't hack Emerald, so I don't know much about the functionality and such.

      Isn't this a counter? So if I were to say save at 4 hours 15 mins and 12 seconds, and then go do something else for from arbitrary amount of time, when I continue playing it will read as if no time has passed. I think in the FireRed RTC which ZodiacTheGreat and interdepth created, they used system time. Maybe you can try something like that?
      This is intended for flash carts that don't have RTC chips so there is no "System time".

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
      Also, if you want people to help you with code efficiency, you should use meaningful variables and label names (as opposed to "something").
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Gamer2020 View Post
      You may remember that there was an rtc patch made for R/S that allowed the clock to be based on playtime. A patch like this was never made for Emerald. I took the one for Ruby, disassembled it, and made it work for Emerald.
      Maybe you should read before posting. I didn't write this, I just ported it.
      __________________

      Reply With Quote
        #4    
      Old March 7th, 2013 (8:05 AM).
      FBI's Avatar
      FBI FBI is offline
      Free supporter
      • Silver Tier
       
      Join Date: Jan 2013
      Location: Unknown Island
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 1,770
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Gamer2020 View Post
      Maybe you should read before posting. I didn't write this, I just ported it.
      I don't see why you couldn't rename those "something"s into more meaningful names. Right now those might as well be hex offsets, since they give about the same information as "something".

      The point is that if you are asking people for suggestions to optimize your code, you should not make them have to re-research everything themselves.

      At the very least you could comment what you're trying to do. If you just changed some pointers at the end and don't really know whats going on, that's a different story.
      __________________
      ...
      Reply With Quote
        #5    
      Old March 7th, 2013 (10:15 AM).
      Gamer2020's Avatar
      Gamer2020 Gamer2020 is offline
      Accept no Imitations!
         
        Join Date: Jun 2008
        Location: Distant Land
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Bold
        Posts: 903
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
        I don't see why you couldn't rename those "something"s into more meaningful names. Right now those might as well be hex offsets, since they give about the same information as "something".

        The point is that if you are asking people for suggestions to optimize your code, you should not make them have to re-research everything themselves.

        At the very least you could comment what you're trying to do. If you just changed some pointers at the end and don't really know whats going on, that's a different story.
        You keep saying it's my code. I told you that I ported it and that's it. I called those offsets "SOMETHING" because they needed a name for me to make it so it could be assembled. I only put the "suggestions to optimize" thing because there may be ways it can be improved, not because I am looking for ways to improve it.

        It's people like you why I hate posting stuff on here. Either read and understand what you read or don't bother posting. Bye now. "Clicks on ignore."
        __________________

        Reply With Quote
          #6    
        Old March 7th, 2013 (11:08 AM).
        ShinyDragonHunter ShinyDragonHunter is offline
           
          Join Date: Nov 2010
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Calm
          Posts: 30
          Gamer2030, I don't understand how I'm suppose to assemble this, I mean you put "Offset 0200F024 may not be safe in emerald but this can be changed to anything desired." What is that suppose to even mean? If it's not safe, then why can be changed to anything 'desired'? I'm confused...
          Reply With Quote
            #7    
          Old March 7th, 2013 (11:59 AM).
          Gamer2020's Avatar
          Gamer2020 Gamer2020 is offline
          Accept no Imitations!
             
            Join Date: Jun 2008
            Location: Distant Land
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Bold
            Posts: 903
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by ShinyDragonHunter View Post
            Gamer2020, I don't understand how I'm suppose to assemble this, I mean you put "Offset 0200F024 may not be safe in emerald but this can be changed to anything desired." What is that suppose to even mean? If it's not safe, then why can be changed to anything 'desired'? I'm confused...
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Gamer2020 View Post
            Memory address 0x0200F024 may not be safe. It is the same one used in the Ruby routine. This can be changed without affecting functionality.

            It means that if it turns out the offset isn't safe it can be changed to a different RAM offset and the routine will still work. The offset is the same one used in the Ruby fix but APPEARED to be free in Emerald.
            __________________

            Reply With Quote
              #8    
            Old April 11th, 2013 (1:19 PM).
            dkp dkp is offline
               
              Join Date: Sep 2012
              Gender: Male
              Posts: 17
              Is there a DAN that is able to work with this, perchance? A flashcart friendly DAN would be a little more than perfectly awesome. Thanks for this port, by the way.

              To be honest, I'm trying to see if there's a way to make primedialga's read this clock's status byte (with his tool installing the RTC, then the DAN, then uninstalling the RTC (which leaves the DAN in place) and compiling this to use the same status byte) - I'm pretty sure that the way interdpth's rtc (and thus primedialga's DAN) works though that it will be stuck at midnight forever this way. I lack the understanding to move beyond this point.
              __________________
              Hey! If you're a tool maker or you have a resource to contribute, but you're not up to trying to make a guide, I'll be happy to try and write one up for you if you want. All I need is a pm and the offsets.
              Reply With Quote
                #9    
              Old April 11th, 2013 (2:17 PM).
              Gamer2020's Avatar
              Gamer2020 Gamer2020 is offline
              Accept no Imitations!
                 
                Join Date: Jun 2008
                Location: Distant Land
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Bold
                Posts: 903
                Interdpths RTC would not work properly on flash carts even if they did have RTC. The only exception would be if the flash cart let you set the time of the chip. I really wouldn't recommend trying to make this routine work with interdpth's since it wouldn't keep track of the date that way.
                __________________

                Reply With Quote
                  #10    
                Old April 11th, 2013 (2:45 PM).
                dkp dkp is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Sep 2012
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 17
                  Not what I meant - I know that, quite well actually. There is no RTC because even in the one or two insane flashcarts that include it, it doesn't work the way interdpth's does. I'm not using interdpth's rtc at all at this point; I just felt the need to explain that I already know I can't wrap some random person's (in this case, primedialga's) day and night to this clock fix, by having it read the values this routine sets. And I lack the experience to write a dan from scratch that reads from the bytes this sets.

                  So, I take it there's no DAN that would be compatible with this?
                  __________________
                  Hey! If you're a tool maker or you have a resource to contribute, but you're not up to trying to make a guide, I'll be happy to try and write one up for you if you want. All I need is a pm and the offsets.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #11    
                  Old April 11th, 2013 (3:30 PM).
                  Gamer2020's Avatar
                  Gamer2020 Gamer2020 is offline
                  Accept no Imitations!
                     
                    Join Date: Jun 2008
                    Location: Distant Land
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Bold
                    Posts: 903
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by dkp View Post
                    Not what I meant - I know that, quite well actually. There is no RTC because even in the one or two insane flashcarts that include it, it doesn't work the way interdpth's does. I'm not using interdpth's rtc at all at this point; I just felt the need to explain that I already know I can't wrap some random person's (in this case, primedialga's) day and night to this clock fix, by having it read the values this routine sets. And I lack the experience to write a dan from scratch that reads from the bytes this sets.

                    So, I take it there's no DAN that would be compatible with this?
                    If by DAN you mean the changing of colors then no (At least not anything available publicly). If one were developed using the rtc Emerald already has then it would work with the clock fix.
                    __________________

                    Reply With Quote
                      #12    
                    Old June 25th, 2017 (11:47 AM).
                    Marky Vigoroth's Avatar
                    Marky Vigoroth Marky Vigoroth is offline
                    ...I just liked the Scyther icon.
                       
                      Join Date: Aug 2015
                      Location: Puerto Rico
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Naive
                      Posts: 77
                      May someone do a patch of this? I am not confident in doing script editing just yet.
                      __________________
                      Hack-player; hack-maker.
                      Reply With Quote
                      Reply

                      Quick Reply

                      Join the conversation!

                      Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                      Create a PokéCommunity Account

                      Sponsored Links
                      Thread Tools

                      Posting Rules
                      You may not post new threads
                      You may not post replies
                      You may not post attachments
                      You may not edit your posts

                      BB code is On
                      Smilies are On
                      [IMG] code is On
                      HTML code is Off

                      Forum Jump


                      All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:44 PM.