• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen New Abilities Speculation Thread!

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
I was just looking at Serebii's entry of Archeops and remembered that thus far every generation has introduced a pokemon with a useless ability...think we'll get another one? What would it be called?

Why does everyone underestimate Archeops and say it's bad because of its ability? Archeops is easily among the best (non-legendary) pokemon in gen 5, maybe not in the whole franchise, but it's still a kickass pokemon. Archeops' ability only activates when its hp is halved, which isn't a problem when it can outspeed almost any pokemon if it has a jolly nature. Sure it is easily outclassed by Scizor and Weavile, but still an awesome pokemon nonetheless.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I would love to see some more Unique abilities, that maybe only a few pokemons can learn, like Zoroark's Illusion or Ditto's Imposter. Also, i would like to see more moves that influence the pokemon's stats

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
Snow Shoes: Doubles Speed in Hail. Give this to Mamoswine.

Adrenaline: +1 to Speed when you KO an enemy pokemon (like Moxie but for Speed)

Surging Spirit: +1 to Special Attack when you KO an enemy pokemon (like Moxie but for Special Attack)

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Snow Shoes: Doubles Speed in Hail. Give this to Mamoswine.

Adrenaline: +1 to Speed when you KO an enemy pokemon (like Moxie but for Speed)

Surging Spirit: +1 to Special Attack when you KO an enemy pokemon (like Moxie but for Special Attack)

I like all of those, especially Adrenaline. It'd allow people to invest more in attack than speed.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Wanting the +sPA one, but not the speed one. I don't really care that much for speed but something like Moxie for sPA would be soo awesome for certain mons, and physical mons are just generally... stronger, and special ones need a boost too!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
That's true...we need more abilities focused on special att. only give them to special attacker Pokémon rather than attacks (lightning rod on a Zebristrika)
The special intimidate mentioned earlier can be called Supression.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Not necessarily... it could certainly boost something like Cinccino which has okay Special Attack - can use a Special set, but is better off on physical. So for Pokemon like that it'd definitely be useful!

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Wanting the +sPA one, but not the speed one. I don't really care that much for speed but something like Moxie for sPA would be soo awesome for certain mons, and physical mons are just generally... stronger, and special ones need a boost too!

A special moxie would be great for special sweepers such as Volcarona, Alakazam, and maybe Hydreigon to some extent. Although surging spirit on Volcarona or Alakazam would make them way, way, WAY too uber IMO! :)
I believe that adrenaline would be a great ability, so you can have an Adamant/Modest nature with choice band/specs instead of choice scarf.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah it would but then you could also make them 25% weaker to SR, so Volcarona's at 25% when switching in, Alakazam at uhh... 60%? There has to be ways to get around it making things overpowered, however I'm not sure how changing up SR just for the ability would go. :x

Years
What do you think of this ability
Berserker/Enraged
Whenever the Pokémon with is ability misses its target, if its Attack (or spAtk) can still be increased AND its Accuracy can still be reduced, its Attack (or spAtk) will increase 2 stages (or should it be only 1 stage? hmm...) and its accuracy will decrease 1 stage.
Pokes with such ability should probably not be able to learn moves such as Aerial Ace and Shock Wave, or have access only to 1 or 2 of 'em?!

My 2nd speculation
Nameless Ability
When a Pokémon receives an indirect damage (Stealth Rock & Co., Poison, Burn, Rough Skin & Co., Confusion, Rocky Helmet & Co., ...) increase its Speed 1 stage.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Big yes to the special Moxie variant. With the focus Unova had on physical attackers I'd love to see the light being shined on their special brethren.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
What do you think of this ability
Berserker/Enraged
Whenever the Pokémon with is ability misses its target, if its Attack (or spAtk) can still be increased AND its Accuracy can still be reduced, its Attack (or spAtk) will increase 2 stages (or should it be only 1 stage? hmm...) and its accuracy will decrease 1 stage.
Pokes with such ability should probably not be able to learn moves such as Aerial Ace and Shock Wave, or have access only to 1 or 2 of 'em?!

My 2nd speculation
Nameless Ability
When a Pokémon receives an indirect damage (Stealth Rock & Co., Poison, Burn, Rough Skin & Co., Confusion, Rocky Helmet & Co., ...) increase its Speed 1 stage.

First sounds kind of like... Hustle? Just a more complicated variant. XD;

Also as for the second, SR and status is way too common, so I think it wouldn't really be the best - especially given we have Quick Feet for that, for the most part anyway. :x

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I think (to try to word it a little better) he means if the Pokémon with that ability misses it's attack, it's Attack stat would be increased by 1 or 2 stages while it's Accuracy stat would drop by 1. I wouldn't like this though, as it could be abused pretty easily. I mean if it could learn a OHKO move which misses 70% of the time they could spam it to raise their attack (or if it hits yay a free KO), then pack a move like Aerial Ace or Faint Attack to never miss. I like the concept of it, but it's too easily able to be abused in my opinion.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oh right, ya it could be abused easily, behind like, screens... and lum and stuff. :( So yeah on the side of it not really being that great of an ability, unfortunately.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Maybe potentially switching it around so Accuracy is raised and Attack or Special Attack is dropped would work. So things like Stone Edge potentially could become more accurate, but the Attack drop wouldn't make it overpowered? That I could see working functionally without being too overpowered.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Meh I wouldn't like the power drop. I'd just rather give it Wide Lens or something. ;(

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Seems kind of overpowered to be honest. What happens to the other half of the damage? Is it just it does half damage, and the other half just disappears? Unless the Pokémon who got that was either frail or just had typing weak to the most common physical types (Fighting and Ground primarily), then I don't really see it happening =x

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I imagine it to be Magikarp's ancestor, being hardy but having Magikarp Stats.

Anyways a ability that absorbs dragon attacks would be nice to see, it can be used to depower dragons.

Back