• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Friendship

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Ever since Generation Two (excluding the prototype we saw with Pikachu in Yellow), the concept of Friendship or Happiness of your Pokémon came to fruition, giving us a multiple of new toys to play around with. We were given two new moves that due damage based upon how much your Pokémon likes you (Return and Frustration) and new evolutions for Pokémon that truly liked you. With this, we were given multiple ways to affect how much our Pokémon likes us, by simply using it in battle, to grooming it, and giving it items.

Are there any ways you'd like to see the Friendship stat used? Are you fine with how the sytem works now? Any new ways you'd like to see for the player to affect it's happiness level? Any new moves that you can think of that you could base on Friendship? Discuss!

Years
It's a pretty good system as is so I don't think it needs to be changed, but if it were to change there are some things I wouldn't mind seeing, like new ways to make your Pokemon happier such as (if they had this feature) when they followed you and you interacted with them or gave them a nickname. There could be other moves, like a recovery move that recovers more the happier they are (you know, because they care for you more and want to try harder, or something), or a move that has a greater chance of critical hits/added effects the happier they are.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I'm pretty happy with how it is as well. I'd just love to see some new moves that would be affected by happiness. Nothing game-breaking of course, but Scarf's suggestion of a healing move depending on how much it likes you would be awesome. Maybe make it cap out at like 50-60% so it's not just another copy of Softboiled. Maybe even up to 75% healing but with only 5 PP so it couldn't be abused too much.

Definitely want new ways to have happiness increase as well. I'd love like a mini-game that you pick one Pokémon a day to participate in that depending how well that you do it would raise their happiness. That and bringing back the follow-me feature and having your Pokémon out of it's Pokéball would be a great way to have it's happiness be increased.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
This! Ever since HG/SS, I've been wondering to this very day why the Follow me feature was taken out, and it was honestly such a vital point to determining your Pokemon's happiness, its general mood, things of that nature, and it made interaction with your Pokemon extremely fun and worthwhile.

Point being, something like the Follow me feature needs to come back for happiness.

Friend Checker App for the Poketech was way better for checking friendship. Follow Me was just gimmicky and annoying. One of a few features I don't mind not returning since it made it a slight chore to navigate backwards if you weren't on your bike all the time.

A new item to constantly check Friendship would be nice, and new items to raise friendship too. Would be awesome if they bring back the Friend Ball since it maxes out Friendship.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
A new item to constantly check Friendship would be nice, and new items to raise friendship too. Would be awesome if they bring back the Friend Ball since it maxes out Friendship.

I would love that so much. D:

I often raise pokemon that require happiness to evolve like Eevee => Espeon, in which, in HG/SS, I found it quite annoying to race back to Goldenrod city to ask a woman how happy my Eevee was. When I'm too lazy to do that, I often had to ~guesstimate~ how happy it was. But yes, a new item that checks happiness would be quite beneficial.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Definitely agree with both of you. For an advancement like they had in DPPt with the Pokétch showing us our happiness levels all the time, it was a step backwards to remove it. Even if it was a key item or simply part of whatever comes after the C-Gear, I just would like to be able to see it again without having to talk to someone.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I think a healing move based on Happiness would be really cool, of course it would need a max. amount of how much it would heal and a low number of PP's, but i like the idea.

Maybe this is not such a good idea, but how about if Pokemon gained more experience the more they liked you? I wouldn't boost this too much, but let's say we would divide the happiness into levels, maybe like 4 or 5. Depending on that "Level" our Pokemon's friendship would be, he would gain x1.1, x1.2, x1.3 and so on experience, with the maximum set at maybe 1,4 or 1,5? This may be stupid, but i think it could work and people would care more about keeping their Pokemon happy, not just to evolve it...

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I honestly wouldn't mind that so much, as long as we kept the multiplier low. I mean, it'd make it easier for you to level up when you reach the higher levels (and at that point their happiness level is at the limit), so it'd be a little boost there, and it wouldn't affect low levels too much at all, unless they were holding the Soothe Bell or something to raise their happiness faster.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
That's what i think, as long as the multipliers doesn't go too high, it could make grinding so much easier, and they could make the Elite 4 a little bit more challenging again, since you could easily level up your pokemon towards the end of the game

Years
I like the idea of an experience boost, but maybe it could only kick in after you max out (or get to some predetermined high level) your Pokemon's happiness. You know, as a kind of bonus for "accomplishing" a high happiness level.

Personally I don't like being overburdened with items so anything that you could get that would check your happiness is something I'd want to be automatic, like a little gauge bar or something that's just part of the menu screen.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
A gauge bar can be also quite convenient for us. It can save us the trouble of checking our items over and over again when we need to. Well, I'm not all that picky when it comes to the friendship aspect, as long as it becomes easier to read and to understand.

Thinking about it... maybe game freak really wants us to test our friendship with our most cherished partner pokemon, and how much we like them?

Let's say there was a friendship stat, outside of the actual happiness counter. The pokemon in question may be happy, but... does it mean that it's our friend? Perhaps there will be some instance on where we'd have to try and understand our pokemon more, in order for said "friendship stat" to increase? I'd like to see that for a change; it'd probably make raising pokemon all of the more rewarding, imo.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Would this possible outside friendship stat have any effects? I do like the concept of it, but honestly I'd just prefer that it'd be used as something you see as you raise a Pokémon, but wouldn't have any bearing on anything. It'd just be nice to see that it's actually your friend, not just happy.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think I'd prefer if there's an item for it than an extra stat in the menu. They like to make items to everything so why not :x

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Maybe instead of an item or a new stat, if they re-introduced something like the Poketch Gear, they could make an "App" for that, which would be precise about how happy a Pkmn is

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Maybe instead of an item or a new stat, if they re-introduced something like the Poketch Gear, they could make an "App" for that, which would be precise about how happy a Pkmn is

They've sort of had an app for that in Gen 4, but, yeah, that's also an option. I think as long as the App is easy to understand that I'll think it'd be okay, because I was kind of confused with the app at first, until I've read a guide online to fully understand it.

Back