ROM Hacking Help Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old March 13th, 2013 (5:05 PM). Edited March 13th, 2013 by karatekid552.
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mizumi View Post
    How do I do this? What is the limit on new evolutions? Can I add the new evolutions with YAPE? Or is YAPE programmed for 5?
    YAPE is programmed at the maximum number of evolutions, which is 5. The only way I know of would be to edit the routine through ASM. This change most likely being just a byte change and a pointer change to the new expanded table. However, I am not sure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
    Yes I only need day and time, but would the commands be the same? I'm having a hard time with the buffer thing.
    Buffers are tough, here is a hint:

Buffernumber 0x[buffer number - 1] 0x[Var which contains number]

So, buffernumber 0x0 0x800D would place the number stored in var 800D (lastresult) and place it in buffer1. Bufferstring works the same way, just instead of a var, there is a pointer which points to the location of the text.

Paired with Simba
    Old March 13th, 2013 (5:11 PM).
    Perfalmost Victory!

Nature: Naughty
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
    I works fine for me. Wait, I know why. You have to save before you move on to the next pokemon. Say I am switching Treeko and Grovyle. I change Treeko's number to 02. If I move onto Grovyle before I save, my changes to Treeko will be reversed. So now if I change Grovyle to 01, both Treeko and Grovyle occupy the same spot, leaving slot #02 blank.
    After following your steps, it still did not fully work. For example, I am moving Bulbasaur into Treecko's normal spot in the regional dex of Emerald. After I saved, I went and moved Treecko to Bulbasaur's spot. Now, when I play the game, Bulbasaur will have the right number on the status screen. However, he still does not appear in the Pokedex. Is there something else I'm doing wrong?
    Old March 13th, 2013 (5:55 PM).

Why does my pokemon on the title screen appear in a diagonal pattern on the opposite side of the screen it's supposed to be on?
      Old March 13th, 2013 (5:56 PM). Edited March 13th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Alby4t5 View Post
        After following your steps, it still did not fully work. For example, I am moving Bulbasaur into Treecko's normal spot in the regional dex of Emerald. After I saved, I went and moved Treecko to Bulbasaur's spot. Now, when I play the game, Bulbasaur will have the right number on the status screen. However, he still does not appear in the Pokedex. Is there something else I'm doing wrong?
        Yes, it would appear that the regional and hoenn pokedex's are tied together. You are changing the ???? Pokedex, right? I found that the changes made in that are not reflected in the Hoenn pokedex. Only changing the national one changes things. It is quite wierd.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Mizumi View Post
        Why does my pokemon on the title screen appear in a diagonal pattern on the opposite side of the screen it's supposed to be on?
        Your .raw file was the wrong size in terms of LengthXwidth

Paired with Simba
        Old March 14th, 2013 (2:22 AM).
        Straight-edge

So what's the best way to add new pokemon?
          Is there maybe a stable ROM base I could downlosd and use?

Dissolve's PokePet

Bunsin the level 53 Flareon!
          Old March 14th, 2013 (2:38 AM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by exedissolve View Post
            So what's the best way to add new pokemon?
            Is there maybe a stable ROM base I could downlosd and use?
            Jambo's 649 patch should be released relatively soon. He was able to expand everything to allow for 649 fully functioning pokemon. This would be the best one, as he also added in (and is still adding in) all of the new moves and such. If you can wait for its release, wait for that.

Paired with Simba
            Old March 14th, 2013 (2:47 AM).

Can i get the real help? The mapping tut thingy?

I've been tryin got have a serious tutorial and i have a problem w/ a-map, and its about the tiles, i dont know how to make custom ones, or how to make the tiles look connected/synchronized w/ the map, anyone?
              Old March 14th, 2013 (3:08 AM).

Here is some stuff for working with tilesets:

Quote:
                Here is Lu-Ho's tut on how to add (not replace) new tilesets: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156018

Here is a tutorial on adding tilesets in general: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=186982
                Like FBI said, just type in tile sets and hit search!:D

And another good tutorial, (I hope...:)): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=193377

For animating tiles, this should be useful: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=260619

Now I am just going to use a spoiler:
                And here is a link to the best A-map tutorial out there (that I have found): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616

If you still have problems, come back and ask.

Paired with Simba
                Old March 14th, 2013 (8:24 AM).

Quote:
                  Here is some stuff for working with tilesets:

And here is a link to the best A-map tutorial out there (that I have found): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616

If you still have problems, come back and ask.
                  Thanks, ill try them inmediatelly when i have time.
                  Old March 14th, 2013 (9:15 AM).
                  Perfalmost Victory!

Quote:
                  Yes, it would appear that the regional and hoenn pokedex's are tied together. You are changing the ???? Pokedex, right? I found that the changes made in that are not reflected in the Hoenn pokedex. Only changing the national one changes things. It is quite wierd.
                  Yep. Still not working for me in the slightest bit. Is it possible that there's something wrong with my version of Emerald I'm using? I'm really running out of ideas here for what the problem could be.
                  Old March 14th, 2013 (10:08 AM).

Quote:
                    Yep. Still not working for me in the slightest bit. Is it possible that there's something wrong with my version of Emerald I'm using? I'm really running out of ideas here for what the problem could be.
                    Yeah, I played with it some more and I can't figure out how to change the reginal without changing the national. It appears that the numbers in the ???? Dex line up perfectly with those in the regional, but have no effect when changed. I also found that by changeing the national dex, it also changed the regional dex. This doesn't make sense, becuase it isn't like they are both in the same order, (just hoenn first in the regional). There are kanto and jhoto mixed in. I am going to playwith it a little more and ask around. Maybe I can find something.

Paired with Simba
                    Old March 14th, 2013 (10:29 AM).
                    Perfalmost Victory!

Quote:
                    Yeah, I played with it some more and I can't figure out how to change the reginal without changing the national. It appears that the numbers in the ???? Dex line up perfectly with those in the regional, but have no effect when changed. I also found that by changeing the national dex, it also changed the regional dex. This doesn't make sense, becuase it isn't like they are both in the same order, (just hoenn first in the regional). There are kanto and jhoto mixed in. I am going to playwith it a little more and ask around. Maybe I can find something.
                    Okay... Well, I hope you can help me find the solution soon. I appreciate anything you can figure out. Sorry for the trouble this is causing.
                    Old March 14th, 2013 (8:52 PM). Edited March 14th, 2013 by bwrobin.

Nature: Quirky
                      Hey guys! How can I remove the Gengar - Nidorino intro in Fire Red? Like after the "GAMFREAK Presents" Logo, it will just skip that intro and go on to the titlescreen without the push of a button? Is it ASM? How? I'm just sick of that intro.

Also how do I edit the font in Fire Red? Palette offset?

Hey guys! How can I remove the Gengar - Nidorino intro in Fire Red? Like after the "GAMFREAK Presents" Logo, it will just skip that intro and go on to the titlescreen without the push of a button? Is it ASM? How? I'm just sick of that intro.

Old March 15th, 2013 (2:41 AM).

Quote:

You edit the font the same way way you did for Ruby. The palette is easy to find. Go to a screen where some regular text in visible. Make sure you are using VBA (I believe No$ works too, but I haven't played with it). In the Tools menu, select "Map View". In the window, find some text and click on it. Slightly to the left, it should list a few facts about the tile you just clicked on them. One of them is the palette (pal). Take the number it gives you and open up the "Palette Viewer" from the tools menu. Under Background palettes, count down the left hand side until you reach that palette number (start at 0). Click on the first color and on the bottom of the window, make note of the offset. Now, open up the "Memory Viewer". Click the "Save" button in the window that pops up and type in the offset and then "20" for the number of bytes. Save. Take the .dmp file it created, open it up in HxD and hit "Select all" and "Copy". Now, search for it in HxD in your rom. The offset of that data is the offset of you palette. (If there is more than one entry, we may have a small problem.)

I have no clue about the intro, sorry. Though, it is probobly a little bit of ASM to skip it. You may be able to edit Gengar and Nidorino in UnLz, if you wanted to make something else out of it.

Paired with Simba
                        Old March 15th, 2013 (3:48 AM). Edited March 15th, 2013 by bwrobin.

Quote:
                          You edit the font the same way way you did for Ruby. The palette is easy to find. Go to a screen where some regular text in visible. Make sure you are using VBA (I believe No$ works too, but I haven't played with it). In the Tools menu, select "Map View". In the window, find some text and click on it. Slightly to the left, it should list a few facts about the tile you just clicked on them. One of them is the palette (pal). Take the number it gives you and open up the "Palette Viewer" from the tools menu. Under Background palettes, count down the left hand side until you reach that palette number (start at 0). Click on the first color and on the bottom of the window, make note of the offset. Now, open up the "Memory Viewer". Click the "Save" button in the window that pops up and type in the offset and then "20" for the number of bytes. Save. Take the .dmp file it created, open it up in HxD and hit "Select all" and "Copy". Now, search for it in HxD in your rom. The offset of that data is the offset of you palette. (If there is more than one entry, we may have a small problem.)

I have no clue about the intro, sorry. Though, it is probobly a little bit of ASM to skip it. You may be able to edit Gengar and Nidorino in UnLz, if you wanted to make something else out of it.
                          Thanks your a lot of help. BTW I just want to skip the intro not change it since I'm doing an un-Pokemon Game. Thanks anyways.

EDIT: I tried it in Fonted. It says "ROM is currently supported but font graphics offset not specified." Does anyone know the offset?
                          Old March 15th, 2013 (6:04 AM).

Quote:
                            Thanks your a lot of help. BTW I just want to skip the intro not change it since I'm doing an un-Pokemon Game. Thanks anyways.

EDIT: I tried it in Fonted. It says "ROM is currently supported but font graphics offset not specified." Does anyone know the offset?
                            http://174.133.255.180/showthread.php?t=266885 <- this tut has the offsets for the fonts.

Paired with Simba
                            Old March 15th, 2013 (6:39 AM).

Quote:
                              http://174.133.255.180/showthread.php?t=266885 <- this tut has the offsets for the fonts.
                              This is the Pokeroms.ini record for BPRE
                              Code:
                              [BPRE]
                              Name            = Pokémon Fire Red (E)
                              Language        = 0 'English! WOO!
                              TrainerData     = &H23EAF1
                              TrainerClasses  = &H23E558
                              MonsterNames	= &H144
                              ItemNames       = &H3DB028
                              AttackNames     = &H247092 
                              TrainerPics     = &H23957C
                              TrainerPals     = &H239A1C
                              TrainerPicCount = 147
                              MonsterPics     = &H2350AC
                              MonsterPals     = &H23730C
                              MonsterPicCount = 440
                              MapHeaders      = &H5524C
                              Maps            = &H55194
                              MapLabels       = &H3F1CAC
                              RomType         = 1
                              WorldMap        = kantomap.bmp
                              HomeLevel       = &H0300
                              AttackTable     = &H25D7B4
                              AttackNameList  = &H2470A1
                              SpriteBase      = &H3A3BB0
                              SpriteColors    = &H36D828
                              SpriteNormalSet = &H3A379C
                              SpriteSmallSet  = &H3A3748
                              SpriteLargeSet  = &H3A37F0
                              FontGFX         = ???       <--- I need THE Tut doesn't specify
                              FontWidths      = ???       <--- I need
                              MusicList       = fr_songs.txt
                              The tut doesn't specify which is FontGFX and which is FontWidths.
                              I can't do the method in the tut because I dont know how to fix the image I exported.
                              Old March 15th, 2013 (8:58 AM).
                              Not So Standard Trainer

Nature: Modest
                                Quick Question- I know there is only a curtain amount of "map allocation" in the gen 3 rom. But i want to know- What is the max tile limit of one route and how many routes can be made? is this based on the size of the routes or can there only be a set amount of routes regardless of size?

Manic Street Preachers
                                Old March 15th, 2013 (9:25 AM).
                                Everyone currently in an argument with this member: I really suggest you stop.

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Wendle View Post
                                Quick Question- I know there is only a curtain amount of "map allocation" in the gen 3 rom. But i want to know- What is the max tile limit of one route and how many routes can be made? is this based on the size of the routes or can there only be a set amount of routes regardless of size?

I think the biggest a map can be is 160 tiles -- e.g., 80x80, 100x60, 20x140, etc.
                                In FR/LG, each bank holds around 120 maps. Dunno if the sizes of the maps make a difference.

This info is all from my personal experience, so yea.
                                Old March 15th, 2013 (12:40 PM).

Quote:
                                  This is the Pokeroms.ini record for BPRE
                                  Code:
                                  [BPRE]
                                  Name            = Pokémon Fire Red (E)
                                  Language        = 0 'English! WOO!
                                  TrainerData     = &H23EAF1
                                  TrainerClasses  = &H23E558
                                  MonsterNames	= &H144
                                  ItemNames       = &H3DB028
                                  AttackNames     = &H247092 
                                  TrainerPics     = &H23957C
                                  TrainerPals     = &H239A1C
                                  TrainerPicCount = 147
                                  MonsterPics     = &H2350AC
                                  MonsterPals     = &H23730C
                                  MonsterPicCount = 440
                                  MapHeaders      = &H5524C
                                  Maps            = &H55194
                                  MapLabels       = &H3F1CAC
                                  RomType         = 1
                                  WorldMap        = kantomap.bmp
                                  HomeLevel       = &H0300
                                  AttackTable     = &H25D7B4
                                  AttackNameList  = &H2470A1
                                  SpriteBase      = &H3A3BB0
                                  SpriteColors    = &H36D828
                                  SpriteNormalSet = &H3A379C
                                  SpriteSmallSet  = &H3A3748
                                  SpriteLargeSet  = &H3A37F0
                                  FontGFX         = ???       <--- I need THE Tut doesn't specify
                                  FontWidths      = ???       <--- I need
                                  MusicList       = fr_songs.txt
                                  The tut doesn't specify which is FontGFX and which is FontWidths.
                                  I can't do the method in the tut because I dont know how to fix the image I exported.
                                  Okay, well the FontGFX would just be the location of the graphics for the fonts.

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Hackrex
                                  1F5DF0, 201FF0, 212308, 222620

One Offset for Help Menu
                                  One for Ingame
                                  One for Intro
                                  One for Town Names, I think
                                  Now, I don't know about font width. This is either how many pixels wide a letter is, or how long the entire font is in total.

The largest letter I can see is the arrow and it has a width of 8 px. Try putting in 8 for the FontWidths. If that doesn't work, look at another game's ini sections and try what is labeled there. If it is an offset, find out what that offset is and find an equivilant one in FireRed.

By the way, in the tut, he is fixing the image simply by moveing the two halves of the letters together. The top and bottoms are split apart, so it makes it easier to edit if you out them back together.

Just checking on the intro thing; you did see Knizz's post in R&D, correct?

Edit: Also give 12 a try for the width. I just saw somthing that said GBA 12x12 font, might be what you are looking for.

Paired with Simba
                                  Old March 15th, 2013 (2:39 PM).

Quote:
                                    Okay, well the FontGFX would just be the location of the graphics for the fonts.

Now, I don't know about font width. This is either how many pixels wide a letter is, or how long the entire font is in total.

The largest letter I can see is the arrow and it has a width of 8 px. Try putting in 8 for the FontWidths. If that doesn't work, look at another game's ini sections and try what is labeled there. If it is an offset, find out what that offset is and find an equivilant one in FireRed.

By the way, in the tut, he is fixing the image simply by moveing the two halves of the letters together. The top and bottoms are split apart, so it makes it easier to edit if you out them back together.

Just checking on the intro thing; you did see Knizz's post in R&D, correct?

Edit: Also give 12 a try for the width. I just saw somthing that said GBA 12x12 font, might be what you are looking for.
                                    Awww.... Looks like it need an offset. By the way, how do I look for the offset's equivalent in FireRed? The actual FontWidth offset is from Ruby: &H1E6594.
                                    Old March 15th, 2013 (4:42 PM).
                                    Magnificent Magilou Magnificent Magilou is online now
                                    Perfalmost Victory!

Sorry for not being around for a few days. It seems that the Pokedex Location editor in Pokemon Game Editor does not support Emerald, but does support FireRed and Ruby. So no harm done. What I now have a question is changing other things with in the Pokedex. Like the Region Name from Kanto to something else. Would you have any experience or know how in this matter? I know it probably involves Hex Editing, but do you know where about to go changing that?
                                    Old March 15th, 2013 (5:34 PM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                      Quote:
                                      Sorry for not being around for a few days. It seems that the Pokedex Location editor in Pokemon Game Editor does not support Emerald, but does support FireRed and Ruby. So no harm done. What I now have a question is changing other things with in the Pokedex. Like the Region Name from Kanto to something else. Would you have any experience or know how in this matter? I know it probably involves Hex Editing, but do you know where about to go changing that?
                                      Where are you talking? Like on the map or regular speech? Regular speech can be done fairly easily (though buggy) with A-text.

Paired with Simba
                                      Old March 15th, 2013 (5:47 PM).
                                      Magnificent Magilou Magnificent Magilou is online now
                                      Perfalmost Victory!

Quote:
                                      Where are you talking? Like on the map or regular speech? Regular speech can be done fairly easily (though buggy) with A-text.
                                      I'm talking on the Map and inside the Pokedex.
                                      Old March 15th, 2013 (6:04 PM).

I still dont get the Map thingy, when i instert my tiles it's always buggy
                                        Closed Thread

Quick Reply