The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #24026    
Old March 13th, 2013 (3:18 PM).
karatekid552's Avatar
karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
What happens if I push it?....
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Bold
    Posts: 1,766
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
    But why does it work on a clean Fire Red Rom, but the one with RTC installed through DNS?

    Also If I rewrite the script for Ruby, is it also that long?
    There are different ways to go about it. Maybe.

    Did you mean to say not work in a clean rom?
    __________________

    Paired with Simba
      #24027    
    Old March 13th, 2013 (3:36 PM).
    BlackWhiteRobin's Avatar
    BlackWhiteRobin BlackWhiteRobin is offline
       
      Join Date: Sep 2012
      Age: 20
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Quirky
      Posts: 543
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
      There are different ways to go about it. Maybe.

      Did you mean to say not work in a clean rom?
      Umm... No. I meant a clean Fire Red Rom with DNS.
        #24028    
      Old March 13th, 2013 (3:44 PM).
      karatekid552's Avatar
      karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
      What happens if I push it?....
         
        Join Date: Nov 2012
        Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Bold
        Posts: 1,766
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
        Umm... No. I meant a clean Fire Red Rom with DNS.
        Well that's not a clean rom:p. haha, it runs on that because all of those flags do exist, they just overwrite other important stuff like vars and pc boxes. Not good. It doesn't run on Ruby, because the rtc clock is put in a different place (most likely).
        __________________

        Paired with Simba
          #24029    
        Old March 13th, 2013 (3:51 PM).
        BlackWhiteRobin's Avatar
        BlackWhiteRobin BlackWhiteRobin is offline
           
          Join Date: Sep 2012
          Age: 20
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Quirky
          Posts: 543
          Do you know how I'll repoint the script to the pointer of the rtc?
            #24030    
          Old March 13th, 2013 (3:57 PM).
          karatekid552's Avatar
          karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
          What happens if I push it?....
             
            Join Date: Nov 2012
            Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Bold
            Posts: 1,766
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
            Do you know how I'll repoint the script to the pointer of the rtc?
            Actually, I am looking at it now, and the rtc is in the same place and so isn't the free space which the script copies the date and time to.

            I am going to try and insert this myself and see how it goes.
            __________________

            Paired with Simba
              #24031    
            Old March 13th, 2013 (3:59 PM).
            Magnificent Magilou's Avatar
            Magnificent Magilou Magnificent Magilou is online now
            Perfalmost Victory!
             
            Join Date: Nov 2010
            Age: 32
            Gender: Female
            Nature: Naughty
            Posts: 686
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
            Go download PGE (Pokémon Game Editor). It has the only Pokédex order editor that supports more games than just FR. I believe it supports Emerald.
            It does seem to support Emerald, but when I loaded up my game to test it, the game left the spaces blank in the dex when they were encountered and/or caught...
              #24032    
            Old March 13th, 2013 (4:18 PM). Edited March 13th, 2013 by karatekid552.
            karatekid552's Avatar
            karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
            What happens if I push it?....
               
              Join Date: Nov 2012
              Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Bold
              Posts: 1,766
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Alby4t5 View Post
              It does seem to support Emerald, but when I loaded up my game to test it, the game left the spaces blank in the dex when they were encountered and/or caught...
              I works fine for me. Wait, I know why. You have to save before you move on to the next pokemon. Say I am switching Treeko and Grovyle. I change Treeko's number to 02. If I move onto Grovyle before I save, my changes to Treeko will be reversed. So now if I change Grovyle to 01, both Treeko and Grovyle occupy the same spot, leaving slot #02 blank.

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
              Actually, I am looking at it now, and the rtc is in the same place and so isn't the free space which the script copies the date and time to.

              I am going to try and insert this myself and see how it goes.
              I did, and I am dumbfounded. The script compiled flawlessly. Then I was able to replicate what happened. So, I opened the memory viewer, took a look at the rtc clock and it was running fine. Then I watched the ram change as the script ran and I noticed it wasn't copying anything but the year and the month over to be used later. Everything else stayed the same.

              So, I watched the script happen on FR and I was surprised to learn that all of the date and time were copied over. I don't know where the miscommunication is on Ruby, but it isn't accomplishing the very first step.
              __________________

              Paired with Simba
                #24033    
              Old March 13th, 2013 (4:36 PM).
              BlackWhiteRobin's Avatar
              BlackWhiteRobin BlackWhiteRobin is offline
                 
                Join Date: Sep 2012
                Age: 20
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Quirky
                Posts: 543
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                I works fine for me. Wait, I know why. You have to save before you move on to the next pokemon. Say I am switching Treeko and Grovyle. I change Treeko's number to 02. If I move onto Grovyle before I save, my changes to Treeko will be reversed. So now if I change Grovyle to 01, both Treeko and Grovyle occupy the same spot, leaving slot #02 blank.



                I did, and I am dumbfounded. The script compiled flawlessly. Then I was able to replicate what happened. So, I opened the memory viewer, took a look at the rtc clock and it was running fine. Then I watched the ram change as the script ran and I noticed it wasn't copying anything but the year and the month over to be used later. Everything else stayed the same.

                So, I watched the script happen on FR and I was surprised to learn that all of the date and time were copied over. I don't know where the miscommunication is on Ruby, but it isn't accomplishing the very first step.
                So it is impossible right now? We will not be able to accomplish this yet on Ruby in our current state?
                  #24034    
                Old March 13th, 2013 (4:46 PM).
                karatekid552's Avatar
                karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                What happens if I push it?....
                   
                  Join Date: Nov 2012
                  Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Bold
                  Posts: 1,766
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
                  So it is impossible right now? We will not be able to accomplish this yet on Ruby in our current state?
                  Not with this script. I'm sure there is another way to handle this, especially if you only need the day and time.
                  __________________

                  Paired with Simba
                    #24035    
                  Old March 13th, 2013 (4:58 PM).
                  Mizumi's Avatar
                  Mizumi Mizumi is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Mar 2013
                    Posts: 7
                    [QUOTE=karatekid552;7579209]It can be done, but you have to edit the routine which loads and carries out evolutions. I have looked at evolution data structure before and it basically is just is a list of every evolution in the game, which can be broken down into groups of five, one group per pokemon. There is no end or starter bytes for each group and therefore the game just counts in order to know which evolutions belong to each pokemon. So, you would have to edit the routine to make it count more evolutions per pokemon, or make a special case scenario


                    How do I do this? What is the limit on new evolutions? Can I add the new evolutions with YAPE? Or is YAPE programmed for 5?
                      #24036    
                    Old March 13th, 2013 (5:00 PM).
                    BlackWhiteRobin's Avatar
                    BlackWhiteRobin BlackWhiteRobin is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Sep 2012
                      Age: 20
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Quirky
                      Posts: 543
                      Yes I only need day and time, but would the commands be the same? I'm having a hard time with the buffer thing.
                        #24037    
                      Old March 13th, 2013 (5:05 PM). Edited March 13th, 2013 by karatekid552.
                      karatekid552's Avatar
                      karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                      What happens if I push it?....
                         
                        Join Date: Nov 2012
                        Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Bold
                        Posts: 1,766
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Mizumi View Post
                        How do I do this? What is the limit on new evolutions? Can I add the new evolutions with YAPE? Or is YAPE programmed for 5?
                        YAPE is programmed at the maximum number of evolutions, which is 5. The only way I know of would be to edit the routine through ASM. This change most likely being just a byte change and a pointer change to the new expanded table. However, I am not sure.

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
                        Yes I only need day and time, but would the commands be the same? I'm having a hard time with the buffer thing.
                        Buffers are tough, here is a hint:

                        Buffernumber 0x[buffer number - 1] 0x[Var which contains number]

                        So, buffernumber 0x0 0x800D would place the number stored in var 800D (lastresult) and place it in buffer1. Bufferstring works the same way, just instead of a var, there is a pointer which points to the location of the text.
                        __________________

                        Paired with Simba
                          #24038    
                        Old March 13th, 2013 (5:11 PM).
                        Magnificent Magilou's Avatar
                        Magnificent Magilou Magnificent Magilou is online now
                        Perfalmost Victory!
                         
                        Join Date: Nov 2010
                        Age: 32
                        Gender: Female
                        Nature: Naughty
                        Posts: 686
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                        I works fine for me. Wait, I know why. You have to save before you move on to the next pokemon. Say I am switching Treeko and Grovyle. I change Treeko's number to 02. If I move onto Grovyle before I save, my changes to Treeko will be reversed. So now if I change Grovyle to 01, both Treeko and Grovyle occupy the same spot, leaving slot #02 blank.
                        After following your steps, it still did not fully work. For example, I am moving Bulbasaur into Treecko's normal spot in the regional dex of Emerald. After I saved, I went and moved Treecko to Bulbasaur's spot. Now, when I play the game, Bulbasaur will have the right number on the status screen. However, he still does not appear in the Pokedex. Is there something else I'm doing wrong?
                          #24039    
                        Old March 13th, 2013 (5:55 PM).
                        Mizumi's Avatar
                        Mizumi Mizumi is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Mar 2013
                          Posts: 7
                          Why does my pokemon on the title screen appear in a diagonal pattern on the opposite side of the screen it's supposed to be on?
                            #24040    
                          Old March 13th, 2013 (5:56 PM). Edited March 13th, 2013 by karatekid552.
                          karatekid552's Avatar
                          karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                          What happens if I push it?....
                             
                            Join Date: Nov 2012
                            Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Bold
                            Posts: 1,766
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Alby4t5 View Post
                            After following your steps, it still did not fully work. For example, I am moving Bulbasaur into Treecko's normal spot in the regional dex of Emerald. After I saved, I went and moved Treecko to Bulbasaur's spot. Now, when I play the game, Bulbasaur will have the right number on the status screen. However, he still does not appear in the Pokedex. Is there something else I'm doing wrong?
                            Yes, it would appear that the regional and hoenn pokedex's are tied together. You are changing the ???? Pokedex, right? I found that the changes made in that are not reflected in the Hoenn pokedex. Only changing the national one changes things. It is quite wierd.

                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Mizumi View Post
                            Why does my pokemon on the title screen appear in a diagonal pattern on the opposite side of the screen it's supposed to be on?
                            Your .raw file was the wrong size in terms of LengthXwidth
                            __________________

                            Paired with Simba
                              #24041    
                            Old March 14th, 2013 (2:22 AM).
                            exedissolve's Avatar
                            exedissolve exedissolve is offline
                            Straight-edge
                               
                              Join Date: Jul 2007
                              Gender:
                              Nature: Lax
                              Posts: 40
                              So what's the best way to add new pokemon?
                              Is there maybe a stable ROM base I could downlosd and use?
                              __________________

                              Dissolve's PokePet

                              Bunsin the level 53 Flareon!
                                #24042    
                              Old March 14th, 2013 (2:38 AM).
                              karatekid552's Avatar
                              karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                              What happens if I push it?....
                                 
                                Join Date: Nov 2012
                                Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Bold
                                Posts: 1,766
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by exedissolve View Post
                                So what's the best way to add new pokemon?
                                Is there maybe a stable ROM base I could downlosd and use?
                                Jambo's 649 patch should be released relatively soon. He was able to expand everything to allow for 649 fully functioning pokemon. This would be the best one, as he also added in (and is still adding in) all of the new moves and such. If you can wait for its release, wait for that.
                                __________________

                                Paired with Simba
                                  #24043    
                                Old March 14th, 2013 (2:47 AM).
                                iDowngrade iDowngrade is offline
                                   
                                  Join Date: Jan 2013
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Posts: 34
                                  Can i get the real help? The mapping tut thingy?


                                  I've been tryin got have a serious tutorial and i have a problem w/ a-map, and its about the tiles, i dont know how to make custom ones, or how to make the tiles look connected/synchronized w/ the map, anyone?
                                    #24044    
                                  Old March 14th, 2013 (3:08 AM).
                                  karatekid552's Avatar
                                  karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                                  What happens if I push it?....
                                     
                                    Join Date: Nov 2012
                                    Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Bold
                                    Posts: 1,766
                                    Here is some stuff for working with tilesets:

                                    Quote:
                                    Here is Lu-Ho's tut on how to add (not replace) new tilesets: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156018

                                    Here is a tutorial on adding tilesets in general: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=186982
                                    Like FBI said, just type in tile sets and hit search!:D

                                    And another good tutorial, (I hope...:)): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=193377

                                    For animating tiles, this should be useful: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=260619

                                    Now I am just going to use a spoiler:
                                    And here is a link to the best A-map tutorial out there (that I have found): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616

                                    If you still have problems, come back and ask.
                                    __________________

                                    Paired with Simba
                                      #24045    
                                    Old March 14th, 2013 (8:24 AM).
                                    iDowngrade iDowngrade is offline
                                       
                                      Join Date: Jan 2013
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Posts: 34
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                                      Here is some stuff for working with tilesets:



                                      And here is a link to the best A-map tutorial out there (that I have found): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616

                                      If you still have problems, come back and ask.
                                      Thanks, ill try them inmediatelly when i have time.
                                        #24046    
                                      Old March 14th, 2013 (9:15 AM).
                                      Magnificent Magilou's Avatar
                                      Magnificent Magilou Magnificent Magilou is online now
                                      Perfalmost Victory!
                                       
                                      Join Date: Nov 2010
                                      Age: 32
                                      Gender: Female
                                      Nature: Naughty
                                      Posts: 686
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                                      Yes, it would appear that the regional and hoenn pokedex's are tied together. You are changing the ???? Pokedex, right? I found that the changes made in that are not reflected in the Hoenn pokedex. Only changing the national one changes things. It is quite wierd.
                                      Yep. Still not working for me in the slightest bit. Is it possible that there's something wrong with my version of Emerald I'm using? I'm really running out of ideas here for what the problem could be.
                                        #24047    
                                      Old March 14th, 2013 (10:08 AM).
                                      karatekid552's Avatar
                                      karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                                      What happens if I push it?....
                                         
                                        Join Date: Nov 2012
                                        Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Nature: Bold
                                        Posts: 1,766
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Alby4t5 View Post
                                        Yep. Still not working for me in the slightest bit. Is it possible that there's something wrong with my version of Emerald I'm using? I'm really running out of ideas here for what the problem could be.
                                        Yeah, I played with it some more and I can't figure out how to change the reginal without changing the national. It appears that the numbers in the ???? Dex line up perfectly with those in the regional, but have no effect when changed. I also found that by changeing the national dex, it also changed the regional dex. This doesn't make sense, becuase it isn't like they are both in the same order, (just hoenn first in the regional). There are kanto and jhoto mixed in. I am going to playwith it a little more and ask around. Maybe I can find something.
                                        __________________

                                        Paired with Simba
                                          #24048    
                                        Old March 14th, 2013 (10:29 AM).
                                        Magnificent Magilou's Avatar
                                        Magnificent Magilou Magnificent Magilou is online now
                                        Perfalmost Victory!
                                         
                                        Join Date: Nov 2010
                                        Age: 32
                                        Gender: Female
                                        Nature: Naughty
                                        Posts: 686
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                                        Yeah, I played with it some more and I can't figure out how to change the reginal without changing the national. It appears that the numbers in the ???? Dex line up perfectly with those in the regional, but have no effect when changed. I also found that by changeing the national dex, it also changed the regional dex. This doesn't make sense, becuase it isn't like they are both in the same order, (just hoenn first in the regional). There are kanto and jhoto mixed in. I am going to playwith it a little more and ask around. Maybe I can find something.
                                        Okay... Well, I hope you can help me find the solution soon. I appreciate anything you can figure out. Sorry for the trouble this is causing.
                                          #24049    
                                        Old March 14th, 2013 (8:52 PM). Edited March 14th, 2013 by BlackWhiteRobin.
                                        BlackWhiteRobin's Avatar
                                        BlackWhiteRobin BlackWhiteRobin is offline
                                           
                                          Join Date: Sep 2012
                                          Age: 20
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Nature: Quirky
                                          Posts: 543
                                          Hey guys! How can I remove the Gengar - Nidorino intro in Fire Red? Like after the "GAMFREAK Presents" Logo, it will just skip that intro and go on to the titlescreen without the push of a button? Is it ASM? How? I'm just sick of that intro.

                                          Also how do I edit the font in Fire Red? Palette offset?

                                          Hey guys! How can I remove the Gengar - Nidorino intro in Fire Red? Like after the "GAMFREAK Presents" Logo, it will just skip that intro and go on to the titlescreen without the push of a button? Is it ASM? How? I'm just sick of that intro.

                                          Also how do I edit the font in Fire Red? Palette offset?
                                            #24050    
                                          Old March 15th, 2013 (2:41 AM).
                                          karatekid552's Avatar
                                          karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline
                                          What happens if I push it?....
                                             
                                            Join Date: Nov 2012
                                            Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Bold
                                            Posts: 1,766
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
                                            Hey guys! How can I remove the Gengar - Nidorino intro in Fire Red? Like after the "GAMFREAK Presents" Logo, it will just skip that intro and go on to the titlescreen without the push of a button? Is it ASM? How? I'm just sick of that intro.

                                            Also how do I edit the font in Fire Red? Palette offset?

                                            Hey guys! How can I remove the Gengar - Nidorino intro in Fire Red? Like after the "GAMFREAK Presents" Logo, it will just skip that intro and go on to the titlescreen without the push of a button? Is it ASM? How? I'm just sick of that intro.

                                            Also how do I edit the font in Fire Red? Palette offset?
                                            You edit the font the same way way you did for Ruby. The palette is easy to find. Go to a screen where some regular text in visible. Make sure you are using VBA (I believe No$ works too, but I haven't played with it). In the Tools menu, select "Map View". In the window, find some text and click on it. Slightly to the left, it should list a few facts about the tile you just clicked on them. One of them is the palette (pal). Take the number it gives you and open up the "Palette Viewer" from the tools menu. Under Background palettes, count down the left hand side until you reach that palette number (start at 0). Click on the first color and on the bottom of the window, make note of the offset. Now, open up the "Memory Viewer". Click the "Save" button in the window that pops up and type in the offset and then "20" for the number of bytes. Save. Take the .dmp file it created, open it up in HxD and hit "Select all" and "Copy". Now, search for it in HxD in your rom. The offset of that data is the offset of you palette. (If there is more than one entry, we may have a small problem.)

                                            I have no clue about the intro, sorry. Though, it is probobly a little bit of ASM to skip it. You may be able to edit Gengar and Nidorino in UnLz, if you wanted to make something else out of it.
                                            __________________

                                            Paired with Simba
                                            Closed Thread

                                            Quick Reply

                                            Join the conversation!

                                            Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                            Create a PokéCommunity Account
                                            Thread Tools

                                            Posting Rules
                                            You may not post new threads
                                            You may not post replies
                                            You may not post attachments
                                            You may not edit your posts

                                            BB code is On
                                            Smilies are On
                                            [IMG] code is On
                                            HTML code is Off

                                            Forum Jump


                                            All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:59 AM.