The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old March 13th, 2013 (3:59 PM).
Get Beat Down!
  • Platinum Tier

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Go download PGE (Pokémon Game Editor). It has the only Pokédex order editor that supports more games than just FR. I believe it supports Emerald.
It does seem to support Emerald, but when I loaded up my game to test it, the game left the spaces blank in the dex when they were encountered and/or caught...

Relevant Advertising!

Old March 13th, 2013 (4:18 PM). Edited March 13th, 2013 by karatekid552.
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
    Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alby4t5 View Post
    It does seem to support Emerald, but when I loaded up my game to test it, the game left the spaces blank in the dex when they were encountered and/or caught...
    I works fine for me. Wait, I know why. You have to save before you move on to the next pokemon. Say I am switching Treeko and Grovyle. I change Treeko's number to 02. If I move onto Grovyle before I save, my changes to Treeko will be reversed. So now if I change Grovyle to 01, both Treeko and Grovyle occupy the same spot, leaving slot #02 blank.

Quote:
    Actually, I am looking at it now, and the rtc is in the same place and so isn't the free space which the script copies the date and time to.

I am going to try and insert this myself and see how it goes.
    I did, and I am dumbfounded. The script compiled flawlessly. Then I was able to replicate what happened. So, I opened the memory viewer, took a look at the rtc clock and it was running fine. Then I watched the ram change as the script ran and I noticed it wasn't copying anything but the year and the month over to be used later. Everything else stayed the same.

So, I watched the script happen on FR and I was surprised to learn that all of the date and time were copied over. I don't know where the miscommunication is on Ruby, but it isn't accomplishing the very first step.

Paired with Simba
    Old March 13th, 2013 (4:36 PM).

Nature: Quirky
      Quote:
      I works fine for me. Wait, I know why. You have to save before you move on to the next pokemon. Say I am switching Treeko and Grovyle. I change Treeko's number to 02. If I move onto Grovyle before I save, my changes to Treeko will be reversed. So now if I change Grovyle to 01, both Treeko and Grovyle occupy the same spot, leaving slot #02 blank.

I did, and I am dumbfounded. The script compiled flawlessly. Then I was able to replicate what happened. So, I opened the memory viewer, took a look at the rtc clock and it was running fine. Then I watched the ram change as the script ran and I noticed it wasn't copying anything but the year and the month over to be used later. Everything else stayed the same.

So, I watched the script happen on FR and I was surprised to learn that all of the date and time were copied over. I don't know where the miscommunication is on Ruby, but it isn't accomplishing the very first step.
      So it is impossible right now? We will not be able to accomplish this yet on Ruby in our current state?

Old March 13th, 2013 (4:46 PM).

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
        So it is impossible right now? We will not be able to accomplish this yet on Ruby in our current state?
        Not with this script. I'm sure there is another way to handle this, especially if you only need the day and time.

Paired with Simba
        Old March 13th, 2013 (4:58 PM).

[QUOTE=karatekid552;7579209]It can be done, but you have to edit the routine which loads and carries out evolutions. I have looked at evolution data structure before and it basically is just is a list of every evolution in the game, which can be broken down into groups of five, one group per pokemon. There is no end or starter bytes for each group and therefore the game just counts in order to know which evolutions belong to each pokemon. So, you would have to edit the routine to make it count more evolutions per pokemon, or make a special case scenario

How do I do this? What is the limit on new evolutions? Can I add the new evolutions with YAPE? Or is YAPE programmed for 5?
          Old March 13th, 2013 (5:00 PM).

Yes I only need day and time, but would the commands be the same? I'm having a hard time with the buffer thing.

Old March 13th, 2013 (5:05 PM). Edited March 13th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Mizumi View Post
              How do I do this? What is the limit on new evolutions? Can I add the new evolutions with YAPE? Or is YAPE programmed for 5?
              YAPE is programmed at the maximum number of evolutions, which is 5. The only way I know of would be to edit the routine through ASM. This change most likely being just a byte change and a pointer change to the new expanded table. However, I am not sure.

Quote:
              Yes I only need day and time, but would the commands be the same? I'm having a hard time with the buffer thing.
              Buffers are tough, here is a hint:

Buffernumber 0x[buffer number - 1] 0x[Var which contains number]

So, buffernumber 0x0 0x800D would place the number stored in var 800D (lastresult) and place it in buffer1. Bufferstring works the same way, just instead of a var, there is a pointer which points to the location of the text.

Paired with Simba
              Old March 13th, 2013 (5:11 PM).
              Get Beat Down!
              • Platinum Tier

Quote:
              After following your steps, it still did not fully work. For example, I am moving Bulbasaur into Treecko's normal spot in the regional dex of Emerald. After I saved, I went and moved Treecko to Bulbasaur's spot. Now, when I play the game, Bulbasaur will have the right number on the status screen. However, he still does not appear in the Pokedex. Is there something else I'm doing wrong?
              Old March 13th, 2013 (5:55 PM).

Why does my pokemon on the title screen appear in a diagonal pattern on the opposite side of the screen it's supposed to be on?
                Old March 13th, 2013 (5:56 PM). Edited March 13th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
                  After following your steps, it still did not fully work. For example, I am moving Bulbasaur into Treecko's normal spot in the regional dex of Emerald. After I saved, I went and moved Treecko to Bulbasaur's spot. Now, when I play the game, Bulbasaur will have the right number on the status screen. However, he still does not appear in the Pokedex. Is there something else I'm doing wrong?
                  Yes, it would appear that the regional and hoenn pokedex's are tied together. You are changing the ???? Pokedex, right? I found that the changes made in that are not reflected in the Hoenn pokedex. Only changing the national one changes things. It is quite wierd.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Mizumi View Post
                  Why does my pokemon on the title screen appear in a diagonal pattern on the opposite side of the screen it's supposed to be on?
                  Your .raw file was the wrong size in terms of LengthXwidth

Paired with Simba
                  Old March 14th, 2013 (2:22 AM).
                  Straight-edge

So what's the best way to add new pokemon?
                    Is there maybe a stable ROM base I could downlosd and use?

Dissolve's PokePet

Bunsin the level 53 Flareon!
                    Old March 14th, 2013 (2:38 AM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by exedissolve View Post
                      So what's the best way to add new pokemon?
                      Is there maybe a stable ROM base I could downlosd and use?
                      Jambo's 649 patch should be released relatively soon. He was able to expand everything to allow for 649 fully functioning pokemon. This would be the best one, as he also added in (and is still adding in) all of the new moves and such. If you can wait for its release, wait for that.

Paired with Simba
                      Old March 14th, 2013 (2:47 AM).

Can i get the real help? The mapping tut thingy?

I've been tryin got have a serious tutorial and i have a problem w/ a-map, and its about the tiles, i dont know how to make custom ones, or how to make the tiles look connected/synchronized w/ the map, anyone?
                        Old March 14th, 2013 (3:08 AM).

Here is some stuff for working with tilesets:

Quote:
                          Here is Lu-Ho's tut on how to add (not replace) new tilesets: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156018

Here is a tutorial on adding tilesets in general: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=186982
                          Like FBI said, just type in tile sets and hit search!:D

And another good tutorial, (I hope...): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=193377

For animating tiles, this should be useful: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=260619

Now I am just going to use a spoiler:
                          And here is a link to the best A-map tutorial out there (that I have found): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616

If you still have problems, come back and ask.

Paired with Simba
                          Old March 14th, 2013 (8:24 AM).

Quote:
                            Here is some stuff for working with tilesets:

And here is a link to the best A-map tutorial out there (that I have found): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616

If you still have problems, come back and ask.
                            Thanks, ill try them inmediatelly when i have time.
                            Old March 14th, 2013 (9:15 AM).
                            Get Beat Down!
                            • Platinum Tier

Quote:
                            Yes, it would appear that the regional and hoenn pokedex's are tied together. You are changing the ???? Pokedex, right? I found that the changes made in that are not reflected in the Hoenn pokedex. Only changing the national one changes things. It is quite wierd.
                            Yep. Still not working for me in the slightest bit. Is it possible that there's something wrong with my version of Emerald I'm using? I'm really running out of ideas here for what the problem could be.
                            Old March 14th, 2013 (10:08 AM).

Quote:
                              Yep. Still not working for me in the slightest bit. Is it possible that there's something wrong with my version of Emerald I'm using? I'm really running out of ideas here for what the problem could be.
                              Yeah, I played with it some more and I can't figure out how to change the reginal without changing the national. It appears that the numbers in the ???? Dex line up perfectly with those in the regional, but have no effect when changed. I also found that by changeing the national dex, it also changed the regional dex. This doesn't make sense, becuase it isn't like they are both in the same order, (just hoenn first in the regional). There are kanto and jhoto mixed in. I am going to playwith it a little more and ask around. Maybe I can find something.

Paired with Simba
                              Old March 14th, 2013 (10:29 AM).
                              Get Beat Down!
                              • Platinum Tier

Quote:
                              Yeah, I played with it some more and I can't figure out how to change the reginal without changing the national. It appears that the numbers in the ???? Dex line up perfectly with those in the regional, but have no effect when changed. I also found that by changeing the national dex, it also changed the regional dex. This doesn't make sense, becuase it isn't like they are both in the same order, (just hoenn first in the regional). There are kanto and jhoto mixed in. I am going to playwith it a little more and ask around. Maybe I can find something.
                              Okay... Well, I hope you can help me find the solution soon. I appreciate anything you can figure out. Sorry for the trouble this is causing.
                              Old March 14th, 2013 (8:52 PM). Edited March 14th, 2013 by BlackWhiteRobin.

Hey guys! How can I remove the Gengar - Nidorino intro in Fire Red? Like after the "GAMFREAK Presents" Logo, it will just skip that intro and go on to the titlescreen without the push of a button? Is it ASM? How? I'm just sick of that intro.

Also how do I edit the font in Fire Red? Palette offset?

Hey guys! How can I remove the Gengar - Nidorino intro in Fire Red? Like after the "GAMFREAK Presents" Logo, it will just skip that intro and go on to the titlescreen without the push of a button? Is it ASM? How? I'm just sick of that intro.

Old March 15th, 2013 (2:41 AM).

Quote:

You edit the font the same way way you did for Ruby. The palette is easy to find. Go to a screen where some regular text in visible. Make sure you are using VBA (I believe No$ works too, but I haven't played with it). In the Tools menu, select "Map View". In the window, find some text and click on it. Slightly to the left, it should list a few facts about the tile you just clicked on them. One of them is the palette (pal). Take the number it gives you and open up the "Palette Viewer" from the tools menu. Under Background palettes, count down the left hand side until you reach that palette number (start at 0). Click on the first color and on the bottom of the window, make note of the offset. Now, open up the "Memory Viewer". Click the "Save" button in the window that pops up and type in the offset and then "20" for the number of bytes. Save. Take the .dmp file it created, open it up in HxD and hit "Select all" and "Copy". Now, search for it in HxD in your rom. The offset of that data is the offset of you palette. (If there is more than one entry, we may have a small problem.)

I have no clue about the intro, sorry. Though, it is probobly a little bit of ASM to skip it. You may be able to edit Gengar and Nidorino in UnLz, if you wanted to make something else out of it.

Paired with Simba
                                  Old March 15th, 2013 (3:48 AM). Edited March 15th, 2013 by BlackWhiteRobin.

Quote:
                                    You edit the font the same way way you did for Ruby. The palette is easy to find. Go to a screen where some regular text in visible. Make sure you are using VBA (I believe No$ works too, but I haven't played with it). In the Tools menu, select "Map View". In the window, find some text and click on it. Slightly to the left, it should list a few facts about the tile you just clicked on them. One of them is the palette (pal). Take the number it gives you and open up the "Palette Viewer" from the tools menu. Under Background palettes, count down the left hand side until you reach that palette number (start at 0). Click on the first color and on the bottom of the window, make note of the offset. Now, open up the "Memory Viewer". Click the "Save" button in the window that pops up and type in the offset and then "20" for the number of bytes. Save. Take the .dmp file it created, open it up in HxD and hit "Select all" and "Copy". Now, search for it in HxD in your rom. The offset of that data is the offset of you palette. (If there is more than one entry, we may have a small problem.)

I have no clue about the intro, sorry. Though, it is probobly a little bit of ASM to skip it. You may be able to edit Gengar and Nidorino in UnLz, if you wanted to make something else out of it.
                                    Thanks your a lot of help. BTW I just want to skip the intro not change it since I'm doing an un-Pokemon Game. Thanks anyways.

EDIT: I tried it in Fonted. It says "ROM is currently supported but font graphics offset not specified." Does anyone know the offset?

Old March 15th, 2013 (6:04 AM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                      Quote:
                                      Thanks your a lot of help. BTW I just want to skip the intro not change it since I'm doing an un-Pokemon Game. Thanks anyways.

EDIT: I tried it in Fonted. It says "ROM is currently supported but font graphics offset not specified." Does anyone know the offset?
                                      http://174.133.255.180/showthread.php?t=266885 <- this tut has the offsets for the fonts.

Paired with Simba
                                      Old March 15th, 2013 (6:39 AM).
                                      BlackWhiteRobin BlackWhiteRobin is offline

Quote:
                                        http://174.133.255.180/showthread.php?t=266885 <- this tut has the offsets for the fonts.
                                        This is the Pokeroms.ini record for BPRE
                                        Code:
                                        [BPRE]
                                        Name            = Pokémon Fire Red (E)
                                        Language        = 0 'English! WOO!
                                        TrainerData     = &H23EAF1
                                        TrainerClasses  = &H23E558
                                        MonsterNames	= &H144
                                        ItemNames       = &H3DB028
                                        AttackNames     = &H247092 
                                        TrainerPics     = &H23957C
                                        TrainerPals     = &H239A1C
                                        TrainerPicCount = 147
                                        MonsterPics     = &H2350AC
                                        MonsterPals     = &H23730C
                                        MonsterPicCount = 440
                                        MapHeaders      = &H5524C
                                        Maps            = &H55194
                                        MapLabels       = &H3F1CAC
                                        RomType         = 1
                                        WorldMap        = kantomap.bmp
                                        HomeLevel       = &H0300
                                        AttackTable     = &H25D7B4
                                        AttackNameList  = &H2470A1
                                        SpriteBase      = &H3A3BB0
                                        SpriteColors    = &H36D828
                                        SpriteNormalSet = &H3A379C
                                        SpriteSmallSet  = &H3A3748
                                        SpriteLargeSet  = &H3A37F0
                                        FontGFX         = ???       <--- I need THE Tut doesn't specify
                                        FontWidths      = ???       <--- I need
                                        MusicList       = fr_songs.txt
                                        The tut doesn't specify which is FontGFX and which is FontWidths.
                                        I can't do the method in the tut because I dont know how to fix the image I exported.

Old March 15th, 2013 (8:58 AM).
                                        Not So Standard Trainer

Nature: Modest
                                          Quick Question- I know there is only a curtain amount of "map allocation" in the gen 3 rom. But i want to know- What is the max tile limit of one route and how many routes can be made? is this based on the size of the routes or can there only be a set amount of routes regardless of size?

Manic Street Preachers
                                          Old March 15th, 2013 (9:25 AM).
                                          Everyone currently in an argument with this member: I really suggest you stop.
                                          • Gold Tier

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Wendle View Post
                                          Quick Question- I know there is only a curtain amount of "map allocation" in the gen 3 rom. But i want to know- What is the max tile limit of one route and how many routes can be made? is this based on the size of the routes or can there only be a set amount of routes regardless of size?

I think the biggest a map can be is 160 tiles -- e.g., 80x80, 100x60, 20x140, etc.
                                          In FR/LG, each bank holds around 120 maps. Dunno if the sizes of the maps make a difference.

This info is all from my personal experience, so yea.

Sponsored Links