• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen Water Water Everywhere

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
If you've played a Hoenn game you would've noticed an abundance of water. The region has the most water routes of them all (and the most routes iicr). But did you like all this water? Did you find the need for water types annoying? Would you like to see more water routes in new games? How could it have been improved?

Discuss

Spr_3r_368.png

So pretty~

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Well i honestly thought there were too many water routes...i usually enjoy them quite a bit, but i think Hoenn had just too many. Although i loved the ability to dive, discover the underwater ruins, and how extensive the under water routes were. So all in all, it wasn't even that bad and it definitely fit the overall theme of Pokemon RBY, so i wouldn't put as many water routes in newer games

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I thought they were fine. Like I've said in other threads, it has always made sense to me that the latter half of the game is spent on water. 1. It's a tropical region. 2. The first half was mainly on land, one part in particular at an active volcano. 3. The game is plotted on land vs. sea themes, as seen in Team Aqua and Team Magma, as well as the mascot legendaries Groudon and Kyogre. So while I can understand why people don't like them, they serve an obvious purpose.

Anyway, I thought they were pretty fun, and I thought Dive was a great way to make it more interesting than just Surfing like normal. The underwater life was pretty neat, however I wish the surface variety was better than just Tentacool, Wingull, and Pelipper. Maybe had they added Tentacruel, Luvdisc, Wailmer, some of the other stuff that you normally have to fish for, that would have helped. I mean, we got a ton of Water types introduced that gen. Put them on the water, please!

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I didn't like the part where you had to go through the sea because of the damn random encounters ( I don't really use repel to save up the most money I can for the E4). But it's a tropical region, you can't have a tropical region without tons of water. So I'm not complaining about the abundance of water for the region, it fits perfectly but I just hated that part the most.

So abundance of water? Why not

Tackling that route? Ugh, here we go!

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Considering it's tropical setting it only made sense to have an abundance of water. At least it was only in the second half of the game where you were required to surf a lot.

By the time I reached Lilycove I pretty much had my team set, so I just used repels during water routes.

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I loved it personally. I never understood the fuss over it. It's a tropical region after all.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I really liked them even though the Tentacools bugged the hell out of me.And it made sense to have them because it is a tropical and it fits perfectly into the Aqua.vs Magma and Groudon.vs Kyogre story plot.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
I though it was to much, I mean it was just the same pokemon over and over

Years
I have to say, the water routes was what set Hoenn apart from other regions but oh man I hated all those Tentacools... the routes would have been much more fun to traverse if they weren't around.

But then again Hoenn is a primarily tropical region so it does make sense.

Years
With the addition of Dive, it made all of the water in Hoenn much more bearable. I personally thought it was nice (as long as you had some repels) since a majority of all other regions depend on land based travel, but if there hadn't been a couple of islands/the aformentioned dive spots spread throughout, that much water would've gotten old quickly.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I agree with Sydian that it makes sense that the latter half of the game is mostly on water, but I don't like it :c

I hate Surfing and needing Dive and Waterfall to navigate through the game. I do like a lot of the Water-types available in RSE though (Swampert, Gorebyss, Milotic, etc.) but it's easily my least favorite part of the game, aside from running in a giant circle around the map to get through the first five gyms. That doesn't make training very efficient, especially if your battery dies and Trainer Check doesn't work.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Personally, I like that there's a lot of water. What I hated is how wide the water area is later in the game. It really made it feel like too much of a task to hunt down all the trainers, whereas in Kanto, I just needed to surf in the right pattern to find all the trainers. I ended up skipping a large number of trainers late in the game because I found it rather annoying and very easy to get lost and forget where you had checked already.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
Water routes could have been much more diverse. The main reason they are annoying is thanks to the overabundance of all the same Pokemon. Tentacool/cruel were far to easy to encounter whereas many Pokemon you actually WANTED were almost impossible to find, being only on one specific route or something.

Another thing that sticks out to me is this: Why would team aqua want more water if there is already a ton. Archie claims this is for a bigger place for water Pokemon to live, but... is that really necessary? Just my opinion there. Magma may have had the better idea...

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
"Yayayayayay!!!" was my first reaction after seeing the region map in the Pokénav. I loo-oove Water types, if you didn't know, so obviously I was thrilled to see the mostly sea continent. It inspires me to make a... Let's forget that. I even caught cute lil' Latias on water!

Feebas

Unevolved
Years
I have to say, being a Fire-type trainer, all the water routes were quite annoying for me. I hope X and Y don't have as many.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
My main grievance with it was that it was the only place to grind mid to end game, meaning types other than electric and grass were neglected (and I always needed to grind before the seventh gym, without fail).

Also, considering that I'm fond of fire types, the game could have used a lot more. I did like the diving though, a lot.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
The water routes were great because half of my team were grass types. I enjoyed the the rapids as it was unique. I never use fire types though if you want to know.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Who doesn't like surfing? The problem with the water routes in Heonn, is that, as others have said... it was all the same Pokemon. Constantly. Traversing them would have been more fun if the wild Pokemon varied...

Heonn was a tropical region, anyway.

Back