ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old April 2nd, 2013 (3:40 AM).
Suuuper Busy
  • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Actually, May's house has a default dimension of 11 width, 9 height. I expanded the room just as I had Brandan's then gave it the tileset of 14 and 45. Brendan's room didn't crash at expanding it, but then again I kept it's tileset of 14, 40. Like I said, I've tested this on different maps, so it seems the problem lies with the tileset, not the specific map.
Pokemon Cursed/Creepy White - Group project, on hiatus for now with plans to return eventually.
Animal Crossing Wild World playing as an animal - experimental, messing with models and textures

Hacks I've worked on in the past:
Pokemon Ruby Destiny Broken Timeline (pre-reboot) - Assisted with maps
Pokemon HeartGold Prince Boo Edition - Experimental project with three small changes. Made at the request of YouTube LPer PrinceBoo21.

Been super busy with work, life, and laptop problems. Hopefully I can get back into it soon, I fear I'm already rusty. Meanwhile I'm considering writing some of my hacks as a series of fanfics.

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Relevant Advertising!

Old April 2nd, 2013 (4:01 AM). Edited April 2nd, 2013 by Banjora Marxvile.
hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!

Nature: Bashful
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by U_Flame View Post
    Actually, May's house has a default dimension of 11 width, 9 height. I expanded the room just as I had Brandan's then gave it the tileset of 14 and 45. Brendan's room didn't crash at expanding it, but then again I kept it's tileset of 14, 40. Like I said, I've tested this on different maps, so it seems the problem lies with the tileset, not the specific map.
    Interesting,I will try it on one of my ROM's and report back and see if it crashes.

EDIT: That is so interesting, I see exactly what you mean. I think the only course is to make the dimensions bigger and fill with blank space.

Temmie vibrates intensely.

awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

OMG!! humans TOO CUTE (dies)

can't blame a BARK for tryin'...

RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

Old April 2nd, 2013 (5:59 AM).
    What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
      Interesting,I will try it on one of my ROM's and report back and see if it crashes.

EDIT: That is so interesting, I see exactly what you mean. I think the only course is to make the dimensions bigger and fill with blank space.
      I have run into these problems before with maps expanding and then crashing. Just take the map and insert it into another slot and change all of the warps. It should work then.

Paired with Simba
      Old April 2nd, 2013 (9:26 AM).
      Suuuper Busy
      • Crystal Tier

Quote:
      Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
      I have run into these problems before with maps expanding and then crashing. Just take the map and insert it into another slot and change all of the warps. It should work then.
      That's the weird part though. The problem isn't in just that map, it's in any of them. It isn't even about expanding, since the maps can work with bigger dimensions. As Banjora Marxvile pointed out, the unneeded space can be filled with the same tiles as the border, and it won't look any different. Thanks to that, it's not causing any problems. But it's certainly strange that it crashes with only certain dimensions, yet won't have a problem with bigger ones so the problem lies with that tileset, not expanding.
      Pokemon Cursed/Creepy White - Group project, on hiatus for now with plans to return eventually.
      Animal Crossing Wild World playing as an animal - experimental, messing with models and textures

Hacks I've worked on in the past:
      Pokemon Ruby Destiny Broken Timeline (pre-reboot) - Assisted with maps
      Pokemon HeartGold Prince Boo Edition - Experimental project with three small changes. Made at the request of YouTube LPer PrinceBoo21.

Been super busy with work, life, and laptop problems. Hopefully I can get back into it soon, I fear I'm already rusty. Meanwhile I'm considering writing some of my hacks as a series of fanfics.

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
      Times I've ninja'd people: 3
      Old April 2nd, 2013 (12:55 PM).

Hello (I'm French and I'm only fifteen, so I'm sorry about my bad English ! :s)

I've got two questions.

First, is it possible to activate an ASM script just pressing a button (without use a XSE script) ?

And then, is it possible, with ASM, to appear pictures on the screen, such as our first Pokémon's sprite ?

Thanks a lot

Mickey`
        Old April 2nd, 2013 (3:42 PM). Edited April 2nd, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
          Originally Posted by U_Flame View Post
          That's the weird part though. The problem isn't in just that map, it's in any of them. It isn't even about expanding, since the maps can work with bigger dimensions. As Banjora Marxvile pointed out, the unneeded space can be filled with the same tiles as the border, and it won't look any different. Thanks to that, it's not causing any problems. But it's certainly strange that it crashes with only certain dimensions, yet won't have a problem with bigger ones so the problem lies with that tileset, not expanding.
          Hmmmm, I really don't have anything to say.

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Mickey` View Post

I've got two questions.

First, is it possible to activate an ASM script just pressing a button (without use a XSE script) ?

And then, is it possible, with ASM, to appear pictures on the screen, such as our first Pokémon's sprite ?

Thanks a lot

Mickey`
          1) I believe that JPAN's engine allows the running of a script based upon the press of a button, so it could run a script that just says, "callasm 0x[routine+1]".

2) You don't need ASM, there are scripting commands for that. Something like showpokepic and hidepokepic.

Paired with Simba
          Old April 2nd, 2013 (5:23 PM).

I'm having some trouble in Advanced Pallet Editor (APE). I've been following Khaos Knight's tutorial on how to hack the emerald title screen, and everything was going smooth up until it was time to change the pallet. When I import my pallet, it says "Invalid Pallet" or something along those lines. When I try again it appears to load the pallet but says "Runtime Error 13" and then crashes. Any adive?
            Old April 2nd, 2013 (5:27 PM).
            Mew!

lol yes... it will always do that for a .pal

when you get the error message you should notice the palette is loaded in the boxes (below the error message)

simply screenshot that, or write down the values for each color.

then reopen the APE and manually type in each Value...

yes, time consuming and annoying... but it works.
              Old April 2nd, 2013 (7:54 PM).
              Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Nature: Calm
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by LocksmithArmy
                lol yes... it will always do that for a .pal

when you get the error message you should notice the palette is loaded in the boxes (below the error message)

simply screenshot that, or write down the values for each color.

then reopen the APE and manually type in each Value...

yes, time consuming and annoying... but it works.
                Not if the .pal is 256 colors. You can index your image down to 16 colors, then increase the color depth to 256 and export. Then when you import the palette in APE it will load correctly. No need to do any manual copying
                Old April 3rd, 2013 (12:11 AM).

Nature: Quirky
                  Hey guys! I tried putting the offsets I found here at the FontGFX and Font Width Part of the Pokeroms.ini of Fonted but it gives me "Run-time error '380': Invalid property value". Any idea on how to fix this?

Old April 3rd, 2013 (5:43 AM).
                  Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Nature: Relaxed
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
                    Hey guys! I tried putting the offsets I found here at the FontGFX and Font Width Part of the Pokeroms.ini of Fonted but it gives me "Run-time error '380': Invalid property value". Any idea on how to fix this?
                    Well, there could be many reasons behind the error. But, it sounds like this is just a typical error behind the program not recognizing a value due to the format it's being written at.

If you're using hexadecimal numbers to mark the addresses, the prefix of the values could for example be one of these: "$", "0x", "x", or, the value might not need a prefix at all. It all depends on how the programmer of the tool wanted to create it. Also, the ini-file might also not be able to deal with hexadecimal at all, and you'd have to convert the values into decimal first to be able to load data at those addresses (or the other way around).

On the other hand, by what I picked up from diego's thread there, editing the font can be achieved really easily just by using Tile Molester (although it may not sound like that because you can't see images of the process there), so you don't really even need this additional font editing tool for the job.

Pretty much everytime the graphics aren't compressed (just like you can compress data inside zip-archives, graphics data can also be compressed inside the rom with a certain compression routine, to make the images/sprites fit in smaller space), you can edit them with a tile layer editor, like Tile Molester, without having an additional program "making the job easier".

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                    CP of encountered pokemon in GO

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                    -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                    Old April 3rd, 2013 (5:48 AM).

Nature: Quirky
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
                      Well, there could be many reasons behind the error. But, it sounds like this is just a typical error behind the program not recognizing a value due to the format it's being written at.

If you're using hexadecimal numbers to mark the addresses, the prefix of the values could for example be one of these: "$", "0x", "x", or, the value might not need a prefix at all. It all depends on how the programmer of the tool wanted to create it. Also, the ini-file might also not be able to deal with hexadecimal at all, and you'll have to convert the values into decimal first to be able to load data at those addresses.

On the other hand, by what I picked up from diego's thread there, editing the font can be achieved really easily just by using Tile Molester (although it may not sound like that because you can't see images of the process there), so you don't really even need this additional font editing tool for the job.
                      Well, about the tool not recognizing the offsets written in the ini, if you put the offset of the FontGFX alone, it will give you "ROM supported but Fontwidths not specified." But once you put in the Fontwidths offset, it will have the "Run-time error". But thanks for helping, its just that it can be a pain in the neck manually going to the offset, export image, edit with paint, import, save, go to another offset etc. But never mind, I'll do it the hard way.

Old April 3rd, 2013 (6:37 AM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by karatekid552
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Mickey`

I've got two questions.

Thanks a lot

Mickey`
                        1) I believe that JPAN's engine allows the running of a script based upon the press of a button, so it could run a script that just says, "callasm 0x[routine+1]".

2) You don't need ASM, there are scripting commands for that. Something like showpokepic and hidepokepic.
                        1) I know it, but I'm French, so I use French ROMs... and JPAN's engine works only on US ROMs.

2) After I posted my message, I thought to this ; I know the showpokepic and hidepokepic commands, but I don't want to use them. I want to appear only the sprite, not the white background...
                        Old April 3rd, 2013 (6:49 AM).

Quote:
                          1) I know it, but I'm French, so I use French ROMs... and JPAN's engine works only on US ROMs.

2) After I posted my message, I thought to this ; I know the showpokepic and hidepokepic commands, but I don't want to use them. I want to appear only the sprite, not the white background...

1) Hmmmm, we could try porting his hack, he does provide all of the source code. That would be the best and easiest way.

2) In Ruby there is a command called hidebox which removes the white background. This command does not work on FR, but I think that the routine could possibly be repaired/restored.

Paired with Simba
                          Old April 3rd, 2013 (12:27 PM).
                          Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Nature: Relaxed
                            Quote:
                            Well, about the tool not recognizing the offsets written in the ini, if you put the offset of the FontGFX alone, it will give you "ROM supported but Fontwidths not specified." But once you put in the Fontwidths offset, it will have the "Run-time error".
                            Yeah well, if there is no example around "how it should be done", you could just leave trying there. Sounds like you've tried many different ways of approaching the task anyways.

Quote:
                            But thanks for helping, its just that it can be a pain in the neck manually going to the offset, export image, edit with paint, import, save, go to another offset etc. But never mind, I'll do it the hard way.
                            You can still export and import without a problem, unlike others
                            Tile Molester could be a better tool than TLP which I've been using, with no good reason really.
                            But at least when it comes to editing 2BPP palettes ("normal Gameboy palette") with it, you can't tell it to import palettes "right", and eventually, have to re-tile the image with the program later on. So it's even simplier to just edit the uncompressed image with TLP without exporting or importing anything.

I could totally try out Tile Molester for this matter. Just, have never felt like downloading it.

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                            CP of encountered pokemon in GO

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                            -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                            Old April 3rd, 2013 (6:23 PM). Edited April 3rd, 2013 by Darthatron.
                            巨大なトロール。
                            • Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
                            Quote:
                            1) Hmmmm, we could try porting his hack, he does provide all of the source code. That would be the best and easiest way.
                            Yuck.
                            Quote:
                            2) In Ruby there is a command called hidebox which removes the white background. This command does not work on FR, but I think that the routine could possibly be repaired/restored.
                            http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7295572&highlight=showpokepic#post7295572

Maybe you can use that.

Quote:
                            Everything
                            Your English is very good.
                            Old April 3rd, 2013 (9:40 PM).
                            Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
                              Is there a tool somewhere out there in the wide internet space zone that will allow me to change attacks' physical/special properties?
                              Old April 3rd, 2013 (10:35 PM).

Hello everyone. *waves*

I think this is the appropriate place to ask this question, but if it isn't, then I apologize.

I want to hack Sapphire to delete the beeping sound the game makes when you move the cursor or advance a text box. How would I go about doing this?
                                Old April 4th, 2013 (2:29 AM). Edited April 4th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
                                  Oh, haha, how was I supposed to know about that:p

Do you have a better option for running scripts on a button?

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by gsg229 View Post
                                  Hello everyone. *waves*

I think this is the appropriate place to ask this question, but if it isn't, then I apologize.

I want to hack Sapphire to delete the beeping sound the game makes when you move the cursor or advance a text box. How would I go about doing this?
                                  This is definitely the right place to ask questions.

There are a few different choices. You could edit that sound to be nothing. You could nop the call which plays the sound. Or, you could turn your volume off:p.

If you know where the routine/script is which plays the sound, the second choice is the easiest. If not, then the next best option is to read up on music editing, find the sound in Sappy, and replace it with a blank track.

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
                                  Is there a tool somewhere out there in the wide internet space zone that will allow me to change attacks' physical/special properties?
                                  There is a physical/special split patch floating around here somewhere. I have never personally seen it, but a lot of people use it. Because I haven't seen it, I don't know where exactly it is, but my best guess is in Resources or the Slideshow Showcase.

Paired with Simba
                                  Old April 4th, 2013 (9:16 AM).
                                  Slayer of Milotics

I'm a noob to PC and to ROM hacking, so go easy on me. I've got the top of Oak's Lab's roof and I want to edit it so I've go the top of a tree behind it. How could I do that
                                    Old April 4th, 2013 (10:23 AM).
                                    QuartierGenerale QuartierGenerale is offline

Hi every one,

i've see in Pokepic the Weather function; it's very usefull for me because i wanna do a pokemon castform-like, changing sprite depending on weather.

The problem is that pokemon does not appear in pokedex replacing castform, and all the other sprite have a 1 color palette (black) in each weather image. I'm able to change pokemon palette but for do this i need to known the offset and i obtain it with unzl.gba; but in unzl there aren't that image or i'm not able to find it.

So anyone known how to use the weather feature of Pokepic?

Thanks a lot, bye
                                      Old April 4th, 2013 (11:52 AM).

Always talking about Pokemon Hacking not Any other gba rom ?
                                        Old April 4th, 2013 (2:55 PM).
                                        Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
                                          How can I detect when the player completes the National Pokedex? For example: There is a professor in my hack that, when you complete the National Pokedex, you can talk to him and he'll give you a prize. Is there some kind of command in XSE that will allow me to do this? Thanks in advance.
                                          Old April 4th, 2013 (3:43 PM). Edited April 4th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by ahmad786 View Post
                                            Always talking about Pokemon Hacking not Any other gba rom ?
                                            There are hacks of other roms... But, look at the website you are on: The Pokémon Community! Of course it is going to be pokemon hacking

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
                                            How can I detect when the player completes the National Pokedex? For example: There is a professor in my hack that, when you complete the National Pokedex, you can talk to him and he'll give you a prize. Is there some kind of command in XSE that will allow me to do this? Thanks in advance.
                                            There is a special used by Prof. Oak which reads (and I believe) stores the amount of Pokemon in the National Pokedex. Check JPAN's study of the special and special2 commands.

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by Pokedude3012 View Post
                                            I'm a noob to PC and to ROM hacking, so go easy on me. I've got the top of Oak's Lab's roof and I want to edit it so I've go the top of a tree behind it. How could I do that
                                            Advance Map 1.92 if you just want to insert a tree behind his house.

Paired with Simba
                                            Old April 5th, 2013 (12:11 AM).
                                            Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
                                              I am wondering how would it be possible, in fire red, to make a script that saves players current party temporary, replaces the party with new Pokes, then, later in the script, replaces it back with the original Pokes.
                                              Like, for exemple, in RSE where you go for, say, a Battle Factory challenge...

Quick Reply