• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

2nd Gen Vietnamese Crystal

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Pokemon_VietCristal_08.png
Pokemon_VietCristal_025.png

So, has anyone else seen videos of this...interesting translation of Pokemon Crystal? Have you played it? What are some of your favorite lines from the game? If you haven't seen any videos and you want a good laugh, I definitely recommend DeliciousCinnamon's playthrough of it. The way they read the dialogue is priceless, as well as their nicknames for their Pokemon.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of "DON'T SERVE THE DEVIL!" being a translation of "Don't get into mischief." lmao I had a playthrough going when I was still using my PC and I got to Pryce's gym, but the game freaks out when you battle him so I never got past there since it kept freezing. It was pretty fun though, and definitely puts a new spin on the game we know and love. :P

tumblr_liul2y03p51qcykapo1_r1_250.gif

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
LOL!
I should be cleaning up the house right now >.>
Instead, because of you, Syd, I'm sitting here, laughing like an idiot to DC's walkthrough xD
so thanks xD

OK!
"ELF GRANDFATHER" KILLED ME! Like rofl!

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I've only seen a couple videos, and didn't have the patience to watch the whole playthrough, though now that I'm used to watching long commentaries by people like BrainScratchComms, I might give it another shot.

But I do remember a few things, like the "Volcano Bakemeat". My favorite remains the message about your character putting an item in the bag: "[item name] bag f...". The first time I saw that I lost my mind, I mean how could they write in the F-word (which, from what I see is kinda known around the world) and not realize something was wrong :D ?

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
When Went and I discussed the whole bag f thing, he said it probably was translated to that as "to put in" and...well, to be fair, one use of the f bomb is to say "had sex" which would involve some...putting in. XD

I feel like I need to wash my hands after typing this lmfao.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
Oh geez, DeliciousCinnamon's Viet Crystal playthrough! Ahahaha, so hilarious! So much good dialogue, but off the top of my head, my favorites are CHEDR's trashy man speech after the battle in Azalea and the way Dubz imitates OUCONG (I believe that's how they spelled Farfetch'd) when it says "Fearful!" in the Ilex Forest.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I watched this a long time ago and I can still hear my laughter echoing into the present day.

I felt kind of proud of myself for remembering what the original English lines were, ha ha!

My favorite line that I remember is "I am a monster

coach."

Last edited:

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
A friend bought this at a store a few years back, I believe. I seem to remember Potions being called drugs. "Player got 5 DURGS" that was worth a good laugh.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
I remember this! I had a couple of good laughs, but, unfortunately, I don't find these bad translations as funny when playing them. Taken out of context, though, their hilarious!

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
I don't know why they call it Vietnamese but it isn't, totally isn't.

I heard a bootleg copy of Crystal like this was found in Vietnam. So that's why the Vietnamese in its name. But judging from the weird English in this game, it looks like it was actually translated from Japanese to Chinese to English. That's my guess as to the translation path, due to some of the wording. Elm's descriptions of the starters was probably the thing that made me think this (Chikorita is "Qige Leader" ["qi" in romanized Chinese is pronounced like "chi"], Cyndaquil is "Big Wind of Fire" [pretty literal translation of Hinoarashi, its Japanese name], and Totodile is "Little Croc" [another literal translation of its Japanese name, Waninoko]. Also, the prominence of the F-word. This translation error is pretty common in Chinese-to-English translations.

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2023
My favourite was when a pokemon fainted like a pidgey"LAP? FALLED."Hahahaha!!!!Hilarious.And there was volcano bakemeat.I loved how my ingame moms specialty was volcano bakemeat!!!!! XD

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I found it pretty funny when I was watching some of it on Youtube. I got sick of some of the constant bad translations that were repetitive after a while though.

Bag **** gets annoying after a while. Luckily, NPCs tend to say different things, so if you want something new to laugh at, just go talk to an NPC you haven't spoken to yet and there's a potential lol moment.

droomph

weeb
Years
They shoulda consulted me…

I know "to do" or "dry" in Chinese can also mean f--, but how that turns up in "to put in a bag" is beyond me.

Why.

Anyways once I found out it was Chinese to English I was so disappointed in those people that I had to stop watching it…

Years
This is probably the worst translation ive seen of any game ever and just makes me burst into laugh attack whenever i see the words bag ****.

Years
I'm a few minutes into Cinnamon's LP and am already laughing so hard. This is ridiculous yet so amusing and I really love it. XD; "Whataf 5hin time"... hahaha whaaat!

Back